PDA

View Full Version : Irelands midfield

elroy
03/06/2003, 3:15 PM
I think everyone agrees since the 'departure' of roy, our centre midfield has been a weakness with a first division player and a reserve player forming the partnership. Was chatting with a few lads and we reckon the best midfield ireland has in prospect for the near future and maybe even now as well is partnering John O'Shea and Steven Reid.
O'Shea we all know he is class and Fergie reckons centre midfield is his future position, as for stevie reid, i reckon he is gonna be a real star of the future, just needs to get a move to the premiership and it will improve him no end.
Any thoughts???

noby
03/06/2003, 3:30 PM
certainley for the future, but maybe not yet.

if healy starts to play regularly, he would be another possibility

elroy
03/06/2003, 3:53 PM
Yeah actually any news on him where he might go this summer?
Ive heard sunderland alot, not sure if it would be the best for him though.

drummer boy
03/06/2003, 4:08 PM
when i seen the heading irelands midfield and before i read the message the first two players that came to my head was o, shea and reid, so you took the words right out of my mouth. i seen reid on sky spots news this morning and he said he is happy at milwall and he hasnt been approched by any other clubs but he would like to move to a premiership club. i think it is very important for him to go to a premiership club so he can develop into a top class player he definitly has the ability. blackburn are after him. but also i think it would take o' shea another season or so to adjust to the position, carsley is sh**e and holland isnt as good since he went into the first division with ipswich. the most important thing is to have as many starting players as possible playing in the premiership.

colster
03/06/2003, 4:08 PM
It'd be a good combo to try out in a friendly.
Healy is still a good option once he gets consistent first team action.
Another player who deserves a chance there is Delap. He did well fro Southampton there during the season.

tiktok
03/06/2003, 6:12 PM
i agree about stephen reid, looks like he'll develop into a class act, i do think that carsley has come on loads under david moyes at everton, i was always one of his biggest critics, but i think he's done well this past season, i'd have him in before Holland and Healy (at least until healy gets regular forst team football, in the long term i think he's one of our brighter hopes).

Niamh_GalwayGal
03/06/2003, 6:13 PM
I know most people shudder when they think Lee Carsely but he is the only one of all of our mid-fielders to have played there, kinda regularly, in the top half of the prem
not sure about holland if he gets into a premiership side this summer he might get better
id say kerr will go with the tried-and-trusted for saturday and wednesday though.

elroy
04/06/2003, 9:18 AM
Well i honestly hope he goes with reid instead of carsley as long as reid is fit. least he has some creativity and pace which carsley lacks, against albania away our midfield was lacking, we kept looking for duffer who as good as he is, cant do it all on his own.
i think we're looking at, kilbane, holland, kinsella, reid and duff playing off keane up front.
Connolly up front just didnt work, as anyone who was at the norway game would have seen.

sadloserkid
04/06/2003, 9:35 AM
Central Midfielders...

Kinsella is still potentially the top man there for us now... needs first team football though.

Holland looks a spent force but a move back to the Premiership might reignite his career.

O'Shea should be left at centre-half I feel because we haven't many really good options to replace him.

Reid has always impressed me more out wide and I'd be inclined to play him wide on the right.

Carsley has improved no end this season and is a much better player now. Will never set the world alight but will hold midfield together well enough.

Healy seems a nice lad but is over-rated. No pace to his game either.He's basically just a better-looking Carsley. Offers a little more going forward but a little less at the other end.

Rory Delap should have gone to the World Cup and offers so many options. I think he deserves a chance as well though. Depending on injuries I'd start him with Kinsella in the centre with Reid and Duff on the wings.

tiktok
04/06/2003, 2:53 PM
is mark kennedy even in the squad, he's been playing well with wolves

R&T Flanders
06/06/2003, 1:52 PM
First time poster, long time reader.

In my opinion Matt Holland is a top class midfielder, the fact that he is currently playing in the first division is more to do with club loyalty than any reflection on his ability.

Hopefully he will move to a top-flight side and will benefit from playing against a better standard of opposition. I would be surprised if Kerr changes the side too much If Reid is fit he'll start on the right with Kinsella Holland & Kilbane, if not Carsley could play that side.
I think Healy has to get more regualr games and if his summer move comes off (any where but Sunderland!!) he could be the next big thing, in the mean time though it will be a case of sticking to what you know and hopefully getting 2 wins!!

As I am living overseas, does anyone know where on the web I can listen to the games, is it only RTE that cover them or do any of the local stations do it?

yur man
06/06/2003, 7:00 PM
http://www.newstalk106.ie

they have a live game every friday night, ie right now pats v cork

also, waterford local radio broadcast all their home games

http://www.wlrfm.com/

both use windows media player