Ash
18/12/2007, 7:08 AM
On the radio this morning that The Sun have intercepted a top secret memo
with the interview shortlist ...
- El Tel
- Houlier
- Hoddle
- Big Ron

Wonder is it real or a false memo left around to see who'd leak it?

WoodquayBoy
18/12/2007, 7:09 AM
You'd have to go for Houllier out of that shower

shakermaker1982
18/12/2007, 7:15 AM
Big Ron? Haha. It must be fake. We wouldn't seriously consider taking on that loon would we?

Ash
18/12/2007, 7:24 AM
Big Ron? Haha. It must be fake. We wouldn't seriously consider taking on that loon would we?

Well seeing a Stan and Bobby were sold to us as a
World Class Management Team then anything is possible!

paul_oshea
18/12/2007, 7:32 AM
fcuk sake, that really upsets me the thought of that. as if ron, venables or hoddle are worth anything near £1m

Deckydee
18/12/2007, 7:48 AM
What is wrong with Hoddle?

amaccann
18/12/2007, 8:01 AM
I would be convinced up to the point Big Ron was mentioned. Also, didn't Houghton say they had 14 people to interview?

RogerMilla
18/12/2007, 8:04 AM

Hoddle to my mind would actually be the worst of them. and thats saying something considering what cowboys i feel big ron and el tel are !

GavinZac
18/12/2007, 8:17 AM
Wonderful, we'll be filmed for the next installment of "Big Ron Manager".

Wolfie
18/12/2007, 8:19 AM
Hoddle - only if Eileen Drury can be his assistant.

Dr. Ogba
18/12/2007, 8:21 AM
wouldn't say that Hoddle is by far and away the worst of them but he is definitely just as bad as venebles and big ron....if this list is genuine then it just smacks of laziness and "stick to what you know" from the panel which would just make you wonder what they're being paid for....

Just this once,why can't we just use a bit of innovation and think outside the box instead of dealing up with the same ould heads popping up every time for their last payday at the expense of the Irish public....
The first names interviewed should have been the genuine contenders i.e Hodgson, Arie Haan, Foppe De Haan, Steve Coppell (why not sound him out!) and other guys that might actually bring something new to the table...

If this list is true then this whole process is turning out to be the sham that most of us feared and predicted...:mad:

GavinZac
18/12/2007, 8:28 AM
We should appoint someone with decades of experience, who has managed in England and in Ireland, someone who's actually won something, who knows how to get a bunch of lads playing as well as they can, and maybe, just maybe, play good football at the same time. If he knew some of the international panel, perhaps even managed them, that'd be great. Experience in Europe would be ideal, I mean someone who can go to places like Cyprus and get the results we want. Ideally he'd be quite eloquent so as to placate the press and, more importantly though quite an ask, he'd be free and cheap.

Anyone have any ideas?

kingdom hoop
18/12/2007, 8:35 AM
Roy Hodgson is the obvious answer there Gav.

This 'story' sounds like rubbish to me, not to mention that it's The Sun doing the reporting. Firstly, apparently 12 names were on the list, I doubt the 4 mentioned would be a short-list from those 12. O'Leary, like it or not, would definitely be on that list. Secondly, WTF, a 'top secret memo', and 'intercepted'.... just a pity the spies at The Sun weren't around to engage in similar espionage during WW2. Intercepted where exactly? Don Given's postman?

ifk101
18/12/2007, 8:41 AM
Venables has already been appointed.

This selection committee lark is just a charade.

kingdom hoop
18/12/2007, 9:03 AM

I got it, I got it. Ronan, is it the proverbial Paddy Englishman, Paddy Irishman, Paddy Scotsman joke? I can Play The Game alright. :D

Seriously though, maybe it's hope more than anything, but would the 3 lads really accept their task knowing that whatever they come up with will be overruled come what may, as you imply IFK. Really calls their integrity into question no?

citizenerased
18/12/2007, 9:06 AM
thats was supposedly the reason souness pulled out, as he didnt want to make a fool of himself in this charade

kingdom hoop
18/12/2007, 9:20 AM
Ah come on, it's Christmas time, everyone should be jovial enough to partake in a good old game of charades. Graeme 'Spoilsport' Souness Storms Off Play The Game Set After Game-Fixing By Guest Host John Delaney. :(

Now the thing to figure out is whether that's more of a Sun headline or an Irish Times headline.

Wolfie
18/12/2007, 9:20 AM
On the radio this morning that The Sun have intercepted a top secret memo
with the interview shortlist ...
- El Tel
- Houlier
- Hoddle
- Big Ron

Wonder is it real or a false memo left around to see who'd leak it?

Clinton Morrison will be delighted with this news.

ifk101
18/12/2007, 9:21 AM
I got it, I got it. Ronan, is it the proverbial Paddy Englishman, Paddy Irishman, Paddy Scotsman joke? I can Play The Game alright. :D

Seriously though, maybe it's hope more than anything, but would the 3 lads really accept their task knowing that whatever they come up with will be overruled come what may, as you imply IFK. Really calls their integrity into question no?

There's nothing that's accountable or transparent in the way this committee works.
How do they decide which people to interview? Do the have a quick chat on the phone - ask each other do you know anything about him? if not lets more on? or do they plan on interviewing everyone who applies to the job? Surely the FAI has giving guidelines on this matter? Are they reporting back to Delaney? Surely Delaney would what to know if they plan not to interview a candidate applying for the job? Surely Delaney would want to have a quick, brief explanation about why certain candidates are not being interviewed? Delaney states that it's the committee decision - not his - but he can't distance himself from the committee. He's involved. Who selected the committee members? Answer - Delaney. Who gave the committee their brief? - Delaney. Who does the committee report to? - Delaney, Delaney, Delaney.

Why didn't Souness want to be interviewed? How many dubious actions have the FAI been involved in during the past? What's the probability another dubious action is around the corner?

I said it before and I'll say it again. The problem with Stan was not his appointment as such but the process that lead to his appointment. He should never have gotten the job in the first place. The process that lead to Stan's appointment is still in place - the real root of the problem is still there - it hasn't gone away. The selection committee is just an elaborate charade to attempt to hide the process that lead to Stan's appointment involvement in the appointment of the new manager ie Venables.

NeilMcD
18/12/2007, 9:25 AM
lads its the sun for **** sake.

ifk101
18/12/2007, 9:30 AM

Yes.

But aren't you doubtful. It is the FAI after all. Do you honestly believe Delaney when he says he wouldn't have any involvement in the selection of the new manager?

osarusan
18/12/2007, 9:33 AM

The selection committee is just an elaborate charade to attempt to hide the process that lead to Stan's appointment involvement in the appointment of the new manager ie Venables.

For this to be the case, Howe, Givens and Houghton would have to be in on it, and as professional men with reputations to uphold, I don't think they would agree to be party to such a plan.

Unless you think they are stupid enough, and Delaney is smart enough, to manipulate them into hiring Venables and make all three of them think it was their idea.

I can't see him being that smart, or them that stupid.

kingdom hoop
18/12/2007, 9:34 AM
Delaney, in that case, you (IFK) think is acting as a Svengali. You led me astray with the charade analogies. :p I get you now alright. :)

NeilMcD
18/12/2007, 9:36 AM
Far too much rubbish coming out from the media on this. Just shut the **** up and lad the 3 lads get on with the job of interviewing people. To be fair so far the FAI have done what they said they would do. Now I am not over the moon by the 3 guys they got but at elast they are football people with integrity.

kingdom hoop
18/12/2007, 9:38 AM
Far too much rubbish coming out from the media on this.

I won't be hiring you as my editor of Hoop Times!

Drumcondra 69er
18/12/2007, 9:51 AM

Lokk at Wolves' results under Hoddle. Compare them with McCarthy's results with a much smaller budget.

Mick McCarthy is a better manager then Hoddle. For that reason alone he shouldn't be let near the job.

As for Big Ron....:eek:

That memo can't be real. Delaney is just playing 'Smokes and Daggers' (to quote Bertie) to cover up the fact that the Venables appointment is a done deal.

ifk101
18/12/2007, 9:52 AM
For this to be the case, Howe, Givens and Houghton would have to be in on it, and as professional men with reputations to uphold, I don't think they would agree to be party to such a plan.

Unless you think they are stupid enough, and Delaney is smart enough, to manipulate them into hiring Venables and make the three of them all think it was their idea.

I can't see him being that smart, or them that stupid.

Put it like this.

Delaney has stated that he and the FAI will have no involvement in the selection of the new manager. Fair enough. However if this transpires as not being the case, is the credibility and objectivity of the selection committee not compromised?

And where does this selection committee come from? It was born in the ashes of the FAI's failed appointment of Stan to dissolve FAI responsibility in the next appointment. But this is amazing. Whatever way the FAI wish to twist it, the national senior side is the FAI. It's their most important product, it's their most important revenue stream. What other company/organisation/association would outsource such a critical decision that will have direct impact on their most important product/income stream? Surely the CEO most be involved in important decisions like this? If not how does he justify his paycheck?

I think Don Givens is genuine and has the best interest of Irish football at heart. I'm not going to question his integrity. I'm questioning the FAI's supposed non-involvement? There's just too much that doesn't add up.

GavinZac
18/12/2007, 9:54 AM
I think Don Givens is genuine and has the best interest of Irish football at heart.
:D good one, now tell the one about pat devlin

osarusan
18/12/2007, 10:02 AM

TThe selection committee is just an elaborate charade

How do you reconcile these two posts with your next one?

I think Don Givens is genuine and has the best interest of Irish football at heart. I'm not going to question his integrity.

I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything, but I don't think your argument holds water.

The FAI said they wouldn't be involved, yet they're appointing the selection committee - you see that as involvement. So do I, but if not the FAI, who is going to hire the committee? If you feel that Givens is "genuine and has the best interest of Irish football at heart. I'm not going to question his integrity." the surely you should be happy with the FAI for hiring such a person, not criticising their involvement.

If you feel that a selection committee is a good idea, and you feel that the members of that comittee are the right men for the job (and I'm not saying you feel that, or have said it), then the FAI have done their job well, as long as the committee are clear on what they have to to, and are given the resources to do it.

ifk101
18/12/2007, 10:05 AM

Now, now. Pat Devlin is a whole different kettle of fish.

Everyone has their opinion of Don Givens but he does make decisions based on what he thinks are best for Irish football. Whether these all decisions are correct or not are easily debatable in retrospect. (There're plenty of decisions that I haven't necessarily agreed with.) But he is employed to make decisions and whilst employed in the position he is, he is entitled to make those decisions.

NeilMcD
18/12/2007, 10:09 AM
You could say the same about anybody that is crap at their job or even good at it. One could say the same about John Delaney.

ifk101
18/12/2007, 10:23 AM
I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything, but I don't think your argument holds water.

I saying that the selection committee is a farce. I've asked multiple unanswered questions in this thread surrounding the charade that is the selection committee. The credibility and transparency of the committee is already questionable as whilst the FAI proclaim non-involvement, it's impossible for them not to be involved.

The FAI said they wouldn't be involved, yet they're appointing the selection committee - you see that as involvement. So do I, but if not the FAI, who is going to hire the committee? If you feel that Givens is "genuine and has the best interest of Irish football at heart. I'm not going to question his integrity." the surely you should be happy with the FAI for hiring such a person, not criticising their involvement. I've the best interests of Irish football at heart - doesn't necessarily mean I should be on the selection committee. If the FAI is not involved in the selection of the new manager then why is a current FAI employee on the panel? And don't forget that it's a 3 man committee and majority rules or does it? who knows - I bet you Delaney does the answer.

If you feel that a selection committee is a good idea, and you feel that the members of that comittee are the right men for the job (and I'm not saying you feel that, or have said it), then the FAI have done their job well, as long as the committee are clear on what they have to to, and are given the resources to do it.

But there're outsourcing their most important business decision. Delaney earns more that Bertie Ahern. Why, if he is outsourcing the most important decision? Or is he??? I've said my piece - everyone can draw their own conclusions.

NeilMcD
18/12/2007, 10:30 AM
See the way I see it, is that if the FAI were to appoint the manager like they did the last time and Delaney and 2 others in the committe were given the job there would be lots of people including myself and many other who would say, what qualifications does Delaney have to pick the football manager. He is not a footballing man, he is a business man or an accountant and that is where his talents lie. Therefore I would rather that footballing people are making the decision. I would have liked Giles or Brady or someone like that on the panel but I understand why they did not want to be on the panel.

I think in this case the FAI are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Stuttgart88
18/12/2007, 10:36 AM
I've no idea what's going on and doubt very much the accuracy of the shortlist, but that list is almost too funny to be true.

Hoddle was a good England manager, one of their better ones actually, but is such an arrogant twit there's no way he'd make an impact on our players.

To suggest Atkinson is credible is beyond a joke.

Houllier & Venables are both credible, as are about half a dozen names not mentioned.

BradyIsMyHero
18/12/2007, 10:36 AM
What about Benitez ? Did he not get the dreaded "vote of confidence", which means he should be available shortly

citizenerased
18/12/2007, 10:50 AM
should you not be gunning for chippy

Drumcondra 69er
18/12/2007, 11:03 AM
Hoddle was a good England manager, one of their better ones actually, but is such an arrogant twit there's no way he'd make an impact on our players.

To suggest Atkinson is credible is beyond a joke.

I agree yet Atkinsons last major trophy came 3 years after El Tell's. Neither is credible to me.

John83
18/12/2007, 11:15 AM
^^ Most sensible post in this thread. ^^

shakermaker1982
18/12/2007, 11:24 AM
Troussier is going to Japan so that is one name not on the 12/14.

Jerry The Saint
18/12/2007, 11:38 AM
We should appoint someone with decades of experience, who has managed in England and in Ireland, someone who's actually won something, who knows how to get a bunch of lads playing as well as they can, and maybe, just maybe, play good football at the same time. If he knew some of the international panel, perhaps even managed them, that'd be great. Experience in Europe would be ideal, I mean someone who can go to places like Cyprus and get the results we want. Ideally he'd be quite eloquent so as to placate the press and, more importantly though quite an ask, he'd be free and cheap.

Anyone have any ideas?

Don't worry Gavin, I got it even if no one else did.

Although

someone who's actually won something

may be stretching the truth a bit ;)

more importantly though quite an ask, he'd be free and cheap.

We'll let the courts decide how cheap he is, thank you.

Noelys Guitar
18/12/2007, 12:02 PM
Sun windup. Alcove-pints-list.

eekers
18/12/2007, 12:08 PM
Ray Houghton said they're interviewing 16 people.
The Sun, a rag for 16 year olds, listed 4.
I could list at least 10 people that i'm 95% sure they are gonna interview. (and big ron wouldn't be one of them)

GavinZac
18/12/2007, 12:26 PM
may be stretching the truth a bit ;)
Well lets just say Im not reffering to Johnny McDonnell's record in the last 3 years :p

We'll let the courts decide how cheap he is, thank you.
cheap for the FAI, if not his previous employers ;)

hamburg paul
18/12/2007, 8:54 PM

If Don Givens is genuine then he should do the honourable thing and follow that other waster to wallsall!What has he done for the 21s ?:(

Red&White Rover
18/12/2007, 9:12 PM

Nothing. He was good in his God eye's.

feo123
18/12/2007, 9:13 PM
peterborough were doing well in the league a couple of seasons ago....on course for a play-off spot, winning games....then big ron comes in to help the team.....with a few weeks, there out of contention for the play-offs, finish about 7th, and the manager walks.

lets hope its fake

Newryrep
19/12/2007, 7:53 AM
Houghton just said on Talksport radio that the are "no surprises" in the interviews, the "usual suspects" - not looking good for Hodgson :mad:

Dr. Ogba
19/12/2007, 8:04 AM
Houghton just said on Talksport radio that the are "no surprises" in the interviews, the "usual suspects" - not looking good for Hodgson :mad:

Why would he say something like that publicly???? Isn't he pretty much undermining the "job" that himself and the other 2 are doing by effectively implying that these guys would have been interviewed if this sham of a committee had been there or not??!!! :confused: :mad:

Newryrep
19/12/2007, 8:15 AM
Why would he say something like that publicly???? Isn't he pretty much undermining the "job" that himself and the other 2 are doing by effectively implying that these guys would have been interviewed if this sham of a committee had been there or not??!!! :confused: :mad:

Doc

the comment about Hodgson is mine, Alan Brazil had him on the end of a telephone to talk principally about Liverpool/Chelsea, it went something along the lines

AB - i know i cant ask you about specifics (about the Ireland job) but are there any surprises
RH - No there are no surprises,...... usual suspects......right man for job..... more interviews over the next few days..... dont want somebody looking for a last hurragh...

eekers
19/12/2007, 8:36 AM
Doc

the comment about Hodgson is mine, Alan Brazil had him on the end of a telephone to talk principally about Liverpool/Chelsea, it went something along the lines

AB - i know i cant ask you about specifics (about the Ireland job) but are there any surprises
RH - No there are no surprises,...... usual suspects......right man for job..... more interviews over the next few days..... dont want somebody looking for a last hurragh...

i dont see how that ruled hodgson out. he'd hardly be a surprise selection to interview.