PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite newspaper???

Colm
03/06/2003, 11:58 AM
Ok for me it's,

Tabloid- The Star
Broadsheet- The Irish Times

Out of those two I voted for the Star as they have the superior el coverage.

James
03/06/2003, 12:13 PM
Southern Star.
where else u gona hear the mass announcements from lisheen church :D
and the always popular Skibbereen and Clonakilty notes .. paper (http://www.unison.ie/southern_star/)

patsh
03/06/2003, 12:37 PM
Well the Irish Times is the only one that can actually be called a newspaper!

fonzi
03/06/2003, 12:44 PM
the Observer.
great paper.
dont read tabloids.
or anything owned by Murdoch.

dahamsta
03/06/2003, 1:17 PM
Although I'm addicted to news, I don't read newspapers very often, I prefer the web. If I'm going for lunch on my own or something though, I'll buy the Irish Times, the Examiner or the Guardian. Fonzi has a point though, the Guardian is the only one I'd actually enjoy reading.

adam

Dodge
03/06/2003, 1:23 PM
IT is a good newspaper, I think for features the Guardian is great but as I'm only really interested in the sport and spefically the eL coverage, I've voted for Dublin Daily

Ref
03/06/2003, 1:30 PM
yeah The Guardian is very good.

sadloserkid
03/06/2003, 1:41 PM
I don't read broadsheets coz I'm too lazy! :) Or The Sun coz it's sh!t... :cool:

Macy
03/06/2003, 1:52 PM
These days I only really buy the Sunday Tribune - don't bother during the week that often, but when I do it would be The Garudain or The Irish Times...

Usually buy the Dublin Daily on a Thursday now though, and the Longford Leader....

Ruairi
03/06/2003, 2:27 PM
I have trouble with reading a broadsheet. Too f'n big. I mean, how are you supposed to read that on the bog? Well?

The Sheliban
03/06/2003, 2:37 PM
I'm as tight as a fish's arsehole, so I don't buy newspapers. Always read the eL coverage in DD on a Thursday, and in the Indo on a Saturday, in the newsagents.

Colm
03/06/2003, 2:40 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
I have trouble with reading a broadsheet. Too f'n big. I mean, how are you supposed to read that on the bog? Well?

I'm glad you brought that up Ruairi because it is a major problem! There's not really any around it so that is a big plus for the tabloids!:)
I find the Echo has plenty of uses in the bathroom, not of the reading kind though! Can't use Spillanes articles though, they're already full of sh!t!!!:D

eoinh
03/06/2003, 4:20 PM
The Irish Times. i wont buy a tabloid except the Dublin Daily on a Thursday and IOS on Sunday if they have LOI coverage. Loads of things annoy me about the IT though. Its Dublin is cool attitude and its refusal to send football reporters outside of Dublin.
No First division coverage, its world football section shut down when the english season ended????? And it was all quotes cogged from english media sources.

pineapple stu
03/06/2003, 4:35 PM
Originally posted by eoinh
The Irish Times. i wont buy a tabloid except the Dublin Daily on a Thursday and IOS on Sunday if they have LOI coverage. Loads of things annoy me about the IT though. Its Dublin is cool attitude and its refusal to send football reporters outside of Dublin.
No First division coverage, its world football section shut down when the english season ended????? And it was all quotes cogged from english media sources.

In fairness to the Irish Times - if you send something eL related in to the "Planet Soccer" section on Monday, Mary Hanningan'll usually print it. I've had songs and a plug for the fanzine in - Mary Hannigan actually e-mailed me back because she couldn't open the fanzine file in the offices.

The quotes section is mainly down to a lack of general media coverage in the eL, and that starts with the clubs themselves.

I agree its eL coverage could be much better though - very inconsistent.

Schumi
03/06/2003, 4:58 PM
The Irish Times is the only paper worth reading really. The football coverage isn't great (although Emmet Malone is very good) but outside of that there's no other paper I'd be arsed paying for.

drummer boy
03/06/2003, 5:18 PM
the evening hearld is very good also not alot of people buy it but those who do realise that they give the EL great coverage.

patsh
03/06/2003, 6:13 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
Eh, Fold it?
The paper I mean, not the bog !!:D

I have a lot of difficulty with The Sun, because it is basically rascist, misogynist, fascist, jingoistic and anti-Irish,
the IOS because it's owned by the Mail group, a disgusting shower of little Englanders who are anti-everything outside Blighty and
The Evil Gerald, because of it's hysterical hyping up of every story into a "We are being invaded by immigrants" angle.

Éanna
04/06/2003, 5:58 PM
The Star and The irish times in their respective categories, same as Colm. Guadian is a good read too.

Éanna
04/06/2003, 5:59 PM
The Sun is hilarious to read, just to see the sheer stupidity and ignorance of its so called journalists- has good eL coverage too.

SÓC
04/06/2003, 6:51 PM
Originally posted by James
Southern Star.
where else u gona hear the mass announcements from lisheen church :D
and the always popular Skibbereen and Clonakilty notes .. paper (http://www.unison.ie/southern_star/)

Also what other paper in the world will keep an eye on the Tzar for us? :)

James
05/06/2003, 8:45 AM
schhh SOCcfc say nothing (u never know who reading this board)
i thought ppl might have forgotten bout that
lol the southern star's promise to watch over the tzar.. on behalf of the ppl of west cork.. nice one

crc
05/06/2003, 6:09 PM
Le Monde is a great paper, but I also go for l'équipe from time to time, even though its el coverage isn't great.

EireBadBoy
06/06/2003, 2:31 PM
We get the Patronising 'Irish Star' with the Green Header in Derry but it is the only Paper with any sort of EL Coverage, even if it is limited, worth talking about.

I vote The Star anyways!