PDA

View Full Version : Nike in Irish Soccer

Runner Man
17/12/2007, 1:45 PM
Hi all,

just a quick one. Do nike do anything for the EL or Irish football in general, I know Umbro do a lot and they're owned by Nike now but as a name do they do anything for irish football?

All the best,

ifk101
17/12/2007, 1:57 PM
No. It's mainly Umbro and Jako that make the shirts. There're lovely, top quality Diadora shirts on the market if you are interested in them.

osarusan
17/12/2007, 2:03 PM
Limerick 37 have their kit made by Errea. Nike couldn't afford us.

Bluebeard
17/12/2007, 2:07 PM
Waterford's new kit is Errea after a couple of years with Diadora. Prior to Diadora we were with Nike for a year or two. According to one of the lads close to the club, the guys from Nike acted like pr!cks when the contract was to be renegotiated and gave the impression that they really couldn't give two hoots. Nice.

Titan
17/12/2007, 2:11 PM
Nike teamwear is operated by Victory teamwear. They dont have any Eircom league clubs at the moment.

By the way IFK please withdraw the Fake Diadora comment. Its incorrect

Runner Man
17/12/2007, 2:12 PM
Maybe the Waterford lads weren' up for the whole Joga Bonito lifestyle and way of playing, on second thoughts I'm probably wrong!:)

pete
17/12/2007, 2:19 PM
How does a sports equipment manufacturer "do something" for Irish football? None of them donate equipment.

Runner Man
17/12/2007, 2:22 PM
How does a sports equipment manufacturer "do something" for Irish football? None of them donate equipment.

Eh, I just wodering do they make jerseys etc., I'm not the sharpest tool in the box but I had a fair idea that they didn't donate equipment. iwas simply enquiring if they supplied jerseys, boots etc., to players or teams in the league, like Umbro and Jakko do.......

The Ball Boy
17/12/2007, 2:32 PM
Fergal Harkin worked for years with Nike in Ireland. I believe he is moving to the Northern England to look after Nike contracted players in the Premier League etc over there.

BrayUnknowns
17/12/2007, 2:36 PM
Monaghan wore nike kit going back about 4/5 seasons ago but i think they bought it themselves as opposed to being sponsored by them

balls
17/12/2007, 4:15 PM
bought a lot of nike kit and leisure wear for my local junior team quality stuff but not cheap. very easy flog it though

inexile
17/12/2007, 6:18 PM
a lot of teams in the aul and leinster senior league wear nike kit

Sonic
17/12/2007, 6:40 PM
So obviously bought with a crest stuck on!

BohDiddley
17/12/2007, 7:39 PM
Fergal Harkin worked for years with Nike in Ireland. I believe he is moving to the Northern England to look after Nike contracted players in the Premier League etc over there.
Nike have contributed to the eL for years by employing Fergal Harkin. Here's (http://www.bohemians.ie/index.php/club-news/nike-moves.htm)what he was doing when he wasn't playing for Bohs.

NeilMcD
17/12/2007, 7:46 PM
Legend.

Bluebeard
17/12/2007, 8:33 PM
Maybe the Waterford lads weren' up for the whole Joga Bonito lifestyle and way of playing, on second thoughts I'm probably wrong!:)

Weren't up for it? Sure didn't we invent it, and them Nike hoors stole the idea from us! Why else do you think that Brazil's second colour is blue;)

Runner Man
18/12/2007, 8:47 AM
Yeah I heard that before, just thought it was a rumour though!

In the same way Milan saw Longford Town play once, loved the jersey so much..... the rest is history......:)

ifk101
18/12/2007, 8:51 AM
Yeah I heard that before, just thought it was a rumour though!

In the same way Milan saw Longford Town play once, loved the jersey so much..... the rest is history......:)

.... and Longford stole their jersey from Bohs ;)

Block G Raptor
18/12/2007, 8:54 AM

Nah that was Bohs that milan saw

Steve Bruce
19/12/2007, 1:28 PM
I think Glenavon in the Irish League have their kits made by nike.

dahamsta
03/01/2008, 3:45 PM
Waterford's new kit is Errea after a couple of years with Diadora. Prior to Diadora we were with Nike for a year or two. According to one of the lads close to the club, the guys from Nike acted like pr!cks when the contract was to be renegotiated and gave the impression that they really couldn't give two hoots. Nice.

I'd appreciate it if ye'd be careful what ye say in this thread please lads. I just had someone claiming to be from Nike Ireland or a company related to Nike Ireland on the phone about this comment, asking for it to be deleted.

I didn't see the full context at the time, but he quoted the highlighted portion above and my response was that while it's not a very nice thing to say, I don't think it's defamatory or libellous, just someone's opinion.

Having reviewed it in context I'm still of that view, and I won't be deleting it, however I will be giving Bluebeard an infraction for avoiding the language filter, and I'd ask both Bluebeard and the rest of ye to keep this conversation professional and polite please.

Perhaps this will be a lesson to those of you that think you can get away with saying what you like on t'interweb. It's not that simple I'm afraid, there's always someone out there hunting for an opportunity to be offended.

And I have better things to do with my time than deal with them on the phone.

adam

passerrby
03/01/2008, 4:06 PM
the mons had nike a couple of seasons ago and it was the best seller they ever had

LeixlipRed
03/01/2008, 4:25 PM
the mons had nike a couple of seasons ago and it was the best seller they ever had

Who's kissing the spy from Nike's ass :p

osarusan
03/01/2008, 4:30 PM
I didn't see the full context at the time, but he quoted the highlighted portion above and my response was that while it's not a very nice thing to say, I don't think it's defamatory or libellous, just someone's opinion.

Perhaps this will be a lesson to those of you that think you can get away with saying what you like on t'interweb. It's not that simple I'm afraid, there's always someone out there hunting for an opportunity to be offended.

Have there been any legal rulings that determine who, if anybody, is responsible for comments on a website such as this? Is it still a legal gray area?

passerrby
03/01/2008, 5:55 PM
Who's kissing the spy from Nike's ass :p

how do you know im not the spy from nike .check out the ass

stann
04/01/2008, 12:00 PM
Have there been any legal rulings that determine who, if anybody, is responsible for comments on a website such as this? Is it still a legal gray area?

Not a grey ( :mad: ) area in this case, as it's clearly opinion.

Now, having looked it up, the author of a statement deemed to be of a defamatory nature is primarily responsible in law, but the operator of a website that hosts submissions from others assumes the role of publisher in the eyes of the law and so shares responsibility. The operator of a message board is specifically mentioned as also being held responsible for the site's content.
It's an EU directive of 2003 that presumably updated the law for the information age, the previous Defamation Act dated to 1961.
And not only that, it is heavily tilted towards the subject of any typeage, as actual defamation does not have to be proved, only that the statements are 'of a type' which tend to defame.

I'm wondering, using only my opinion mind, if that phone caller is connected in any way to a poster on this thread? And not the one just above this one. :)

dahamsta
04/01/2008, 12:52 PM
Foot.ie is very specifically not a published website. There is no editor on Foot.ie, and moderators are not editors since posts are clearly not pre-approved. As noted in our site disclaimer (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=7880), which all members must agree to upon registration, comments are the responsibility of the poster.

stann
04/01/2008, 1:11 PM
I always thought it was grossly unfair to hold a site responsible for whatever a few mongs wanted to type on it, but that's what the synopsis of the defamation directive says.
But, if that disclaimer holds up in a law court then that's the site off any hook.

dahamsta
04/01/2008, 1:29 PM
It may not, but that's been my opinion since the start and that's been the policy from the start, so there's not a lot I can do beyond that. Of course in this case, as you've already pointed out, it's moot. Just another case of diddums not liking people not liking them. It's pathetic. As I mentioned on the phone, I've been called a lot worse on here, and it's my site.

adam

The Man Himself
04/01/2008, 3:11 PM
nike just took over the mega stores in old trafford on a 10 year lease worth 130 million to man u, so i couldnt see them to bothered with our little league.