PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 International Performances by an Irish Player

blobbyblob
17/12/2007, 9:12 AM
Not sure if this was ever done before but mine would be...

1. Bonner v England (Euro 88)
2. McGrath v Italy (USA 94)
3. Keane v Holland (02 WCQ)

I can see the RTE DVD dept kicking into action now.

Stuttgart88
17/12/2007, 9:21 AM
3. Keane v Holland (02 WCQ)

Wouldn't disagree with 1 and 2.

I thought Keane's performance at home to Portugal was better than the Dutch game, it's just that the game was less celebrated.

I missed the Russia game at Dalymount but I thought Brady at home to Bulgaria in '87 was right up there.

It was only a friendly, but Duff at home to Denmark (3-0) was superb. His performance in the second half in Suwon was top class too.

RogerMilla
17/12/2007, 9:31 AM
keane away in spain in 93 i think was a serious performance

eekers
17/12/2007, 9:52 AM
I can see the RTE DVD dept kicking into action now.

has there ever been a full ireland in italia 90 dvd?
with full games? surely it would sell like crazy around christmas

Dr. Ogba
17/12/2007, 9:57 AM
It was only a friendly, but Duff at home to Denmark (3-0) was superb. His performance in the second half in Suwon was top class too.

Stutts - was that the match against Spain? i'd agree with that, he was fantastic as soon as he moved back out to the wing. Gave Mendieta (who was regarded as one of the best players in the world) an awlful pasting. It was definitely one of the best individual performances by an Irish player that i can remember (me being too young to recall Brady in his pomp)...

Stuttgart88
17/12/2007, 10:00 AM
Stutts - was that the match against Spain? That was it.

citizenerased
17/12/2007, 10:03 AM
agree with stutts keanes game against portugal at home was far more impressive

(1) McGrath v Italy (USA 94)
(2) Keane v Portugal (wc02 Q)
(3) Duff v Spain (wc02)

(4) Keane v Holland(wc02 q)
(5) Keane v Cyprus(away) (wc02 q)

gspain
17/12/2007, 10:19 AM
Hard to go on stuff you haven['t seen so here are mine

1) Keane v Portugal 01 (he almost played them on his own)
2) McGrath v Italy 94
3) Lawrenson v Scotland 87

However you had performances in the past like

Paddy Moore 4 goals i na WC qualifier v Belgium in 1934. Joe Haverty in a team containing 7 LoI players that stuffed the Germans (world champions) 3-0 at Dalymount in 1956. Don Givens scored a hatrick v USSR and 4 v Turkey. Giles made a hugely impressive debut when we beat the WC runners (Sweden) up 3-2 at Dalymount in 1959. Brady's debut v USSR in 1974 was sensational.

NeilMcD
17/12/2007, 10:27 AM
Althought not in the top three, Kevin Sheedys performance against the USSR in Euro 88. I would also have Given against Cyprus when we won 1-0.

cobra
17/12/2007, 10:28 AM
in the 1st leg against Iran to qualify for 2002 WC, Shay made 2 outstanding saves that had a huge bearing on us getting to the WC, even so that when final whistle blew, Keano(roy) went straight to him and shook his hand

cobra
17/12/2007, 10:32 AM
Althought not in the top three, Kevin Sheedys performance against the USSR in Euro 88. I would also have Given against Cyprus when we won 1-0.

Forgot about that one, only for him that night, it would have been another 5 for them..and they would have not got so many if he had been there the following year

Supreme feet
17/12/2007, 10:48 AM
Keane against Yugoslavia in Belgrade (1998) deserves a mention, even though we lost - his performance was up there with Holland and Portugal. Also, Kevin Moran, Denmark in Copenhagen, 1992. Outstanding alongside Kernaghan, who was only winning his second cap.

Here's a few more forgotten ones - Gary Kelly against Portugal in Lansdowne, '95. Cunningham against France in Paris, '04.

Theskinloyal
17/12/2007, 11:15 AM
Keane against Yugoslavia in 1998 was something else, he covered every blade of grass for us that night.

Tommy Coyne against Italy in 1994 anyone? Such a tall order, lone striker, baking heat, against the best defenders in the world what does he do? He ran and he ran and he ran. Just kept going opening up space. Worked his arse off.

Obviously McGrath that night too, showed Baresi a thing or two.

Worst performances?

Anything Phil Babb did in a green jersey.

Jon Goodman against Wales in a friendly 1997.

Jon Macken was so bad I can't remember the game (s?) he played.

citizenerased
17/12/2007, 11:23 AM
paul butler againnst czechs i think ina friendly...marking jan koller...Babb had some howlers...as did robbie Keane

Stuttgart88
17/12/2007, 11:25 AM
Not fair on Macken. Only played arpound 30 mins against Bulgaria I think and didn't do too much wrong.

Finnan and Andy O'Brien in Cyprus '06. Both good players imo, but shocking performances.

NeilMcD
17/12/2007, 11:36 AM
Finnan in 05 was as bad that night. He was on the same wing as us and he was not even trying. I like Finnan as a player but he was shocking that night.

Drumcondra 69er
17/12/2007, 2:07 PM
Worst performances?

Jon Macken was so bad I can't remember the game (s?) he played.

Bit unfair on Babb, he was excellent initially and although you could put a lot of that down to McGrath, Babb was doing a lot of the running in that partnership. Babb also had an excellent game against Italy although he was obviously overshadowed by McGrath's masterclass that day.

That Wales game was an awful nil all game played in ****ty conditions, lashed rain the whole game IIRC, Goodman was no worse then anyone else that night.

Macken only had half an hour so can't really be judged in a green shirt, very average player though...

Supreme feet
17/12/2007, 2:12 PM

I seem to remember Goodman playing well in that game, he had a decent chance which Crossley (?) did well to save. He visited my school in Wexford after the Liechtenstein game too, while visiting his family. He was an absolute gent.

Gary Breen was shocking against Malta in 99, as was Alan Kelly. Kilbane against Iceland in '97. Dire.

centre mid
17/12/2007, 2:13 PM
paul butler againnst czechs i think ina friendly...marking jan koller...

Thats right we were 2-0 down at halftime, he spent the first half running around trying to find Koller ( its not as if he is hard to spot ). He was taken off at half time and we won 3-2. Cant remember him getting another cap after that.

AustinoAsprilla
17/12/2007, 2:21 PM
Best Three - Roy Keane's last three games for Ireland
Worst Three - The first three games after he left

tetsujin1979
17/12/2007, 2:24 PM
Thats right we were 2-0 down at halftime, he spent the first half running around trying to find Koller ( its not as if he is hard to spot ). He was taken off at half time and we won 3-2. Cant remember him getting another cap after that.
No, he never got another cap, although he was in several squads after that

Drawing with the African Nations Champions
Drawing with the eventual runners up
Getting the desired result to qualify for the second round.
Agreed, truly shocking :rolleyes:

Sunny Jim
17/12/2007, 2:24 PM
Tony Galvin was fantastic against Russia in Euro 88. Best game he played for Ireland.

Supreme feet
17/12/2007, 2:32 PM
Best Three - Roy Keane's last three games for Ireland

Roy Keane's second-last appearance for Ireland was as a late substitute against China! A landmark performance indeed.

Torn-Ado
17/12/2007, 2:35 PM
McGrath V Italy 1994. It gives me goosebumps watching him block everything that came his way that night. A master in defence who broke his balls for ninety minutes.

Keane V Portugal 2001. I'm reluctant to say it but if ever a football match epitomised a one man show, that was it. The whole team were getting raped and he literally caught them by the scruff of the neck and pulled them through it.

Given V Cyprus 2005. Could have been 5 or 6 if it wasn't for Shay.

galwayhoop
17/12/2007, 3:33 PM
McGrath V Italy 1994. It gives me goosebumps watching him block everything that came his way that night. A master in defence who broke his balls for ninety minutes.

Keane V Portugal 2001. I'm reluctant to say it but if ever a football match epitomised a one man show, that was it. The whole team were getting raped and he literally caught them by the scruff of the neck and pulled them through it.

agree with the two above and along with Bonner in 88 there is the definate top 3 for me.

geysir
17/12/2007, 4:24 PM
You guys are all Charlton Babes.

1981 Stapleton V France 3-2 The most complete performance by an Irish forward that I have ever seen, simply superb. Ranks on a par with the best of Keane and McGrath.
Brady in the same game when according to Jimmy Magee he had Platini in his shorts the whole game.
Brady Debut, It's not many games that a teenager on his debut overshadows a hattrick and a historic victory.

OwlsFan
17/12/2007, 5:01 PM
(1) Don Givens hat-trick against the Soviet Union in October 1974.

(2) Don Givens 4 against Turkey in 1975.

(3) Many of Ray Houghton's performance during the Charlton era. A dynamo.

stojkovic
17/12/2007, 7:27 PM
Agree with most of the above in relation to players like Stapleton, Brady, Sheedy, Given and Bonner in the games mentioned. but they all had decent enough players around them. Bonner in Stuttgart - anyone could have played in goal that day, it was written in stone that we were gonna win. McGrath was excellent in New Jersey but so were Keane, Sheridan, Babb, Irwin, Coyne and Townsend.

Roy Keane's performances against Cyprus (4-0), Portugal (1-1 home), Holland (1-0) and Iceland (4-2 away), Spain (0-0) to name a few, were one-man shows. Some of our players in those games had absolute howlers.

My top five would be four of Keane's plus McGrath in 94.

Best Team performance

v Holland 2-2 Rotterdam 1981
v USSR 1-1 Hanover 1988
v England 1-1 Wembley 1991
v France 3-2 Lansdowne 1981
v Spain 0-0 Seville 1992

keenanboy
18/12/2007, 10:48 PM
1. Terry Phelan v Holland, USA '94
2. Phil Babb v Russia, 2002
3. Paddy Kenny v Cyprus, 2006

keenanboy
18/12/2007, 10:50 PM
Bonner in Stuttgart - anyone could have played in goal that day, it was written in stone that we were gonna win.

Have to disagree with this, the back 4 got a roasting from England and Packie saved their bacon on a number of occasions, including pushing a Barne's header onto the post in the dying seconds.

Noelys Guitar
19/12/2007, 12:17 AM
Not top 3 but up there with the best.
Two second choice players Mick Martin and Kevin Moran in the away qualifyer against Belgium 81. Lawernson injured weekend before match. O'Leary cried off day of match. Although we lost 1-0 Martin and Moran played superbly that night.

My top 3

1. Keane against Portugal in Landsdowne
2. Giles v Russia 74 (just shades Brady in that game)
3 Givens V Turkey 75

RiffRaff
19/12/2007, 10:17 AM
Not top 3 but up there with the best.
Two second choice players Mick Martin and Kevin Moran in the away qualifyer against Belgium 81. Lawernson injured weekend before match. O'Leary cried off day of match. Although we lost 1-0 Martin and Moran played superbly that night.

My top 3

1. Keane against Portugal in Landsdowne
2. Giles v Russia 74 (just shades Brady in that game)
3 Givens V Turkey 75

i remember that belgium game. I dont think Martin had played centre half before and he surprised everyone.

John83
19/12/2007, 12:25 PM
Souness was fuming after that game. McCarthy had promised to take Duff off after 45 minutes, but wound up playing him something like 80 minutes. His excuse? He couldn't stop watching that.

has there ever been a full ireland in italia 90 dvd?
with full games? surely it would sell like crazy around christmas
Would love to get hold of one alright.

Stutts - was that the match against Spain? i'd agree with that, he was fantastic as soon as he moved back out to the wing. Gave Mendieta (who was regarded as one of the best players in the world) an awlful pasting. It was definitely one of the best individual performances by an Irish player that i can remember (me being too young to recall Brady in his pomp)...
I love that performance, though it's not in the category as many of the others mentioned here. I remember him going down after a tackle, and keeping the ball while on the ground, being hassled by three Spaniards. The he got up, all without losing the ball. Wonderful stuff.

I think you're being harsh, but my lasting memory of Phil Babb will always be this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nY40Lzqchg&mode=related&search=).

No, he never got another cap, although he was in several squads after that
{Context for anyone who missed the above: This is Butler, who got pwned by Jan Kollar on his debut}.
I thought he swore never to play for Ireland again and promptly defected to Wales.

tetsujin1979
19/12/2007, 12:48 PM
{Context for anyone who missed the above: This is Butler, who got pwned by Jan Kollar on his debut}.
I thought he swore never to play for Ireland again and promptly defected to Wales.
I'm convinced I read an interview with him in the Independent where he said he was called up a few more times, but never played.
I've been searching on independent.ie for it, but no luck yet.
However, I did find this: http://www.independent.ie/sport/butler-ready-to-serve-cause-383342.html
It clarifies how Butler qualified, not through his wife, as has been claimed here a few times, but through his step-father's father.

But Butler, who could have applied for an Irish passport through his wife, has a stronger connection through his step-father, Clifford Butler. ``My step-father's father, Seamus, was born in Dublin and it's through him that I've qualified to play for Ireland,'' he explained. ``My wife came to Dublin and spent two weeks getting all the documentation I needed. Once the paperwork was in place, I applied for a passport.''

Not sure about defecting to Wales, again from the same article:

BUTLER, who was born Paul Roberts but changed his name when his mother re-married, was approached by Bobby Gould to play for Wales but he pursued the Irish cause because McCarthy had shown interest first. McCarthy had been tipped off by Stan Ternent when Butler was at Bury.
Vinnie Jones was approached by Jack at one point to declare for Ireland, but once he wasn't eligible, he declared for Wales. I believe he has a Welsh tatoo on his ankle

geysir
19/12/2007, 12:53 PM
I thought Jack had said that we need Vinny Jones like a hole in the head

tetsujin1979
19/12/2007, 1:12 PM
I thought Jack had said that we need Vinny Jones like a hole in the headHe did, then later he said something like "he is a player I'm interested in", think it was around the time he was at Leeds

fergalr
19/12/2007, 1:46 PM
Bonner was blessed in Stuttgart - I even remember Charlton giving him stick after the game for not commanding his area. Look at the video of that final corner - he was all over the shop.

Best three ever performances by an irish player:
Roy Keane - pick any from a dozen or so but the two home games in 01 v Portugal and Holland stand out
Paul McGrath - Giants stadium
Liam Brady - again loads to choose from but I have a strong memory of him playing against Holland on his own when we lost 2-1 away in the 80s.

blobbyblob
19/12/2007, 2:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMg7C6Fvy-I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C412zEI4azg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ-nBi1Xfjg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OX2zErBBoI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEm_wLOr2RQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o4L25T9yNM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMwHlFggwVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLtUymor8sE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy7k5srdouw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHPt55cism8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGhefbtfFE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSCk-dy31Hs

McGrath sublime but anyone who says we were just a long ball team with a shower of hoofers hasnt a clue. Sorry about the commentary.

carloz
19/12/2007, 2:49 PM

Given V Cyprus 2005. Could have been 5 or 6 if it wasn't for Shay.

Id essentially go along with this, though i would have Keane number 1. That match just centered around him. He was pretty much the only reason we got a result in that game. The game away to Cyprus in the qualifying for 2002 World Cup he was also immense.

Traps Cat
19/12/2007, 6:18 PM
Keane v Holland- Wc Qualifier

Galvin v USSR - Euro 88

David Kelly v Israel - Friendly 87

stojkovic
19/12/2007, 6:31 PM
Have to disagree with this, the back 4 got a roasting from England and Packie saved their bacon on a number of occasions, including pushing a Barne's header onto the post in the dying seconds.

Look at it again.

He made about three good saves, one from Robson and a couple from Lineker. But the rest go down as bad finishing as alot just hit him. The back 4 were not roasted that day - McCarthy was roasted. He was absolutely shocking. McGrath and especially Whelan were brilliant in midfield that day.

tetsujin1979
20/12/2007, 1:29 AM
I'm convinced I read an interview with him in the Independent where he said he was called up a few more times, but never played.

Again this relates to Paul Butler, he was called into the squad by Mick McCarthy against Greece in 2000, but didn't even make the bench, despite a number of withdrawals: http://www.independent.ie/sport/keane-expresses-his-injured-pride-379359.html

As back-up, McCarthy has drafted in Alan Maybury (Leeds), Alan Mahon (Tranmere) Paul Butler (Sunderland) and Gary Doherty, Spurs' latest signing

Incidentally, while trawling through the archives on independent.ie, I came across this: http://www.independent.ie/sport/leeds-lead-premiership--irish-count-370205.html
Compare and contrast with the current Premiership players: http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroad/competitionDetails.xquery?competitionID=1

BTW the archives are excellent, well worth spending time on

OwlsFan
20/12/2007, 7:59 AM
Incidentally, while trawling through the archives on independent.ie, I came across this: http://www.independent.ie/sport/leeds-lead-premiership--irish-count-370205.html

Quantity but not huge quality. The frightening thing about that list is how many never went on to make it in the true sense of the word (i.e. became regular international players).

bwagner
20/12/2007, 9:22 AM
Steven Baker (32).

David McMahon what happened this fellas?????

Hibernian
20/12/2007, 10:46 AM
My top 3 would be

Duff v Spain WC02
Keane v Portugal 2001
Mcgrath v Italy WC94

Block G Raptor
20/12/2007, 4:42 PM

Not to mention doing it with a paralysed shoulder

as_i_say
20/12/2007, 9:31 PM
Thanks for posting those links blob-great to hear some american twangs on sockker!

Drumcondra 69er
21/12/2007, 9:57 AM
Look at it again.

He made about three good saves, one from Robson and a couple from Lineker. But the rest go down as bad finishing as a lot just hit him. The back 4 were not roasted that day - McCarthy was roasted. He was absolutely shocking. McGrath and especially Whelan were brilliant in midfield that day.

:D:D Think that's called being in the right place at the right time. Bonner was immense that day.

danonion
24/12/2007, 12:47 PM
Three that come to mind ...

Kilbane vs France ... the 0-0 game I think, in central midfield.

Gary Breen in the '02 WC. He won more headers than the whole of the Irish team combined.

Niall Quinn vs. Germany in 02