PDA

View Full Version : New signings?

Counting Crow
02/06/2003, 8:30 PM
OK, the June 1st date has come any new signings.

IMO we should get Ollie back ( especially if he is not happy @ $hell$ - let's face it he's no Reynolds ).
That guy Kirby from Longford is a good talent.
We also need another guy for the center of defence.

I have been impressed by Behan so I think we should be OK for a while up front - Friday will be a big test without Flynny.

Anyone have any inside info.

We need to get some few soon before we slip into more serious trouble.

A face
02/06/2003, 8:40 PM
Some bloke coming over for Engerland on trials has cancelled twice costing the club €140 each time. It would be OK if we know that we had the player, but it is just a wind pu right now.

We need to sort the middle of the park urgently !!

patsh
02/06/2003, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by A face
Some bloke coming over for Engerland on trials has cancelled twice costing the club €140 each time.
Is this Breslin?
Is he not here yet?

A face
02/06/2003, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
Is this Breslin?
Is he not here yet?

I am not sure ... Thats why i didn't say it was him. It seems like there is a bit of fúckin' about to be honest. Doesn't give a good impression for me anyway, does this player want to come or not. We don't need some half hearted primadonna coming over acting the maggot.

Colm
02/06/2003, 11:26 PM
Well from what I've heard the players haven't seen sight nor sign of Breslan yet so you can draw your own conclusions there...

Anyway, we shouldn't bother with the guy if he's carrying on like that, he's a failed player at a club that got relegated from the English 3rd division, who does he think he is???

Ali-G
03/06/2003, 8:15 AM
BBM was spotted around Cork at the weekend. Since Wednesday got relegated, he might be surplus to their requirements.

Ali-G
03/06/2003, 10:48 AM
The Guardian just posted a list of all the players released in the football league in England. No sign of Joe G, BBM, Damien Delaney. The only one of note that I spotted is Dominic Foley.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,968866,00.html

sadloserkid
03/06/2003, 11:00 AM
Clifford Byrne, Jimmy Corbett, Gavin Kelly, Joe Kendrick (now of 1860 Munich I believe), John McGrath and Brian Murphy are all Irish players released by English Premiership Clubs.

shedboy
03/06/2003, 12:59 PM
Just noticed that wolves are releasing Kenneth Coleman, wonder would city be interested i remember playing schoolboys against him he was the best in the league even better then JOF at the time also a centre back too!!!!

Ali
03/06/2003, 7:18 PM
Longford are supposed to be trying to buy John mc Grath who was released by Aston Villa he's a midfielder Shels are also intrested in him aswell.Wonder will Pat be intrested?
Haven't even seen Breslin play yet and already I think he'sa prima donna.

tiktok
03/06/2003, 10:07 PM
There's a post on www.eirways.com/citynet by golly, says he was talking to Dolan at the u21 match and the lad isn't coming over due to personal problems.

It's a bit harsh to start knocking players before they even arrive in the country when we don't know what's going on.

A face
03/06/2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
It's a bit harsh to start knocking players before they even arrive in the country

I dunno, if someone is fcuking around then it is just a knee jerk reaction to be honest. He is not very forth coming to the club so he couldn't expect any better (or could he, thats the way i'd look at it if it were me being fcuked about) .... but yeah ... we dont know the full and he ain't no Robert Carlos so not that worried either right now.

Real ale Madrid
03/06/2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Ali-G
BBM was spotted around Cork at the weekend. Since Wednesday got relegated, he might be surplus to their requirements.

BBM is definitely NOT leaving Sheffield Wednesday. I know for sure, Chris Turner is a big fan of his he signed him at Hartlepool and again at Sheff wed.

steven17
04/06/2003, 5:39 PM
i dont think brian lennox would want anymore new signings,

he has got a pannel of 29 with only 15 to field (including subs)

thats 14 other payers he has to pay for training and just think 14X€200(at least)€2,800 a week lost on players who just train for the week and turn up to matches

if he wants to bring in some new players then i think some surplus players might have to leave to trim the wages

Éanna
04/06/2003, 6:06 PM
Originally posted by steven17
i think some surplus players might have to leave to trim the wages
yeah, there's some players who've hardly figured in the first team squad during their time at the club, no point in holding on to people if they're not going to press for a place. We need more quality players though.

tiktok
04/06/2003, 6:15 PM
i think they'll definitely look for a few players, they may trim the squad down a little but more quality is needed, a few midfielders wouldn't go amiss for a start.

drummer boy
04/06/2003, 6:25 PM
your not the only team thats lacking mid fielders, were in a fairly bad way too we have no creative midfielder apart from kirby. would be great if we got john mc grath though

Éanna
04/06/2003, 8:02 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
a few midfielders wouldn't go amiss for a start.
In my book we're short 3 midfielders as it is- I think Greg is the only midfielder playing well enough to keep his place in the side if some dcent reinforcements came in. behan and Doyle have done very well but they're both strikers. there's no real spark of creativity in there at the moment

thecorner
04/06/2003, 8:47 PM
Originally posted by shedboy
Just noticed that wolves are releasing Kenneth Coleman, wonder would city be interested i remember playing schoolboys against him he was the best in the league even better then JOF at the time also a centre back too!!!!

coleman gone to kiddeminster

Gary
04/06/2003, 10:54 PM
well, it does seem that we have to many "surplus players". So who would u release?

here is my assessment

Deccie Daly .
Probably taking too much money for a bench player.

Noel Mooney .
We would probably get a fee for him, and id imagine he gets a fairly big wage, for a guy who hasnt played an important match for 2 seasons.

Cillian Lordan .
Play him or sell him.

Dave Warren .
Ditto. He is too good a player to leave rot in the stands. Hate to see him go, but pls, let him have a chance. He cant be any worse tham our current midfielders.

Mick Mulconroy .
Never really settled with City. Dont think he is Prem Div standard. Pity, as he was an excellent player with UCC.

John Andrews .
Sorry now Steven17, but he just hasnt done anything for us. And now that you say that he is on at least €200 a week, well, that sounds like a total waste of money to me.

Hedderman, while i disagree with those that say he is rubbish, i dont think he should have been signed. Having said that i reckon he could be a great acquisition for us.

pete
05/06/2003, 9:57 AM
City need to stop siging squad players & try to bring in players that are good enough to go straight into the first team.

I woudn't be surprised if Dolan was giving the part-time players a go this season to stake their claims to a place in the squad next year. I'd expect to see a lot of players leave the club at the end of this season.

Better to have 20 fulltime as opposed to 30-35 part-time players.

NorthoftheLee
05/06/2003, 11:59 AM
its definitely time to start adding the quality first teamers. Our squad is big enough. the first team needs strengthening.

steven17
05/06/2003, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by GWA
well, it does seem that we have to many "surplus players". So who would u release?

here is my assessment

Deccie Daly .
Probably taking too much money for a bench player.

Noel Mooney .
We would probably get a fee for him, and id imagine he gets a fairly big wage, for a guy who hasnt played an important match for 2 seasons.

Cillian Lordan .
Play him or sell him.

Dave Warren .
Ditto. He is too good a player to leave rot in the stands. Hate to see him go, but pls, let him have a chance. He cant be any worse tham our current midfielders.

Mick Mulconroy .
Never really settled with City. Dont think he is Prem Div standard. Pity, as he was an excellent player with UCC.

John Andrews .
Sorry now Steven17, but he just hasnt done anything for us. And now that you say that he is on at least €200 a week, well, that sounds like a total waste of money to me.

Hedderman, while i disagree with those that say he is rubbish, i dont think he should have been signed. Having said that i reckon he could be a great acquisition for us.

agree with ya 100%

DECCIE
------------
will hopefully retire at the end of this season but as i said before he still sees city as a second income and will keep it up as long as he can

noel mooney
-----------------
i`d keep him never know when mick could get injured remember start of last season mick had two broken fingers, so moons is experianced enough in that sence to step in 4 mick, also i dont think theres that much between the two

cillian lordan
----------------
not really banging down any doors for him to play also his attitude is way off (infact hes a total pr i ck) so i think he should go

davie warren
-----------------
couldn`t agree more good enough to be in any team in the eircom leauge but nobody knows why he hasn`t got a run at least on the bench this season

micheal mulconroy
-----------------------
again great player but i dont think he gels into the city style of play now and should look for a new club as for not being a prem player i think given the chance at a new club could do him the world of good

john andrews
------------------
well you all know my take on him..... given a chance could become a great player for city i repeat given a chance
but i think johnny should but his name on the loan list for a player who has been playing in engerland for 7 years as a carrer should be playing regular for some one i do know 2 prem clubs (Eleauge) offered to take him on loan earlier on inthe season but pat turned it down .but yeah as you said with cillain play him or sell him

robbie hedderman
------------------------
not played an outstanding game for city since he joined but that could be down to coming from reserve football to avery fast paced eircom leauge not used to the transition dont judge him till nex season

now mine
--------------
gareth cronin(has been figured out as a bad centre back and a bad left back.

someof the above ^

and the biggest waste of money LIAM MURPHY (he must still be on managers wages as its his old contract he is running up)as director of football

yiddo
05/06/2003, 6:41 PM
Have to agree to with Pete the next signing or hopefully signings have to be able to go straight into the team. We have enough squad players.
As regards Mooney, he won't move anywhere. He owns his own business in Cork and it wouldn't suit him to move elsewhere on account of the travelling for training etc. He got a great offer from Waterford in May 2002 but turned it down.
Personally I can't understand why Warren isn't getting a run. I heard that he'd be in the team or on the bench at least if he was full time but he's part time and wants to stay that way. He works with his father as a plumber afaik.
As for the rest mentioned earlier I'd say most of them are in their last season with us.

goalside
05/06/2003, 6:49 PM
Originally posted by steven17

and the biggest waste of money LIAM MURPHY (he must still be on managers wages as its his old contract he is running up)as director of football

mr murphy was the best manager ever for city. i know dolan respects and depends on him a lot .

steven17
07/06/2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by goalside
mr murphy was the best manager ever for city. i know dolan respects and depends on him a lot .

it didn`t sound that way last season when everyone wanted him out

he could have signed ronaldo and the fans still would want him out

murphy is still in contract. and really what use have cork city for a director of football ? face it hes running down his contract. training the team when pat cant make it (which is never) so in that front he is still on big wages from his last contract...

which turned in to the main topic triming the wages by releasing squad players on big bucks

i just thought with murphys wage packet he could be an expence that city could do without.

Trax
07/06/2003, 4:53 PM
Mr Murphy was the best manager ever for City:confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

tiktok
07/06/2003, 7:23 PM
whatever about his abilities as a manager murphy has all his coaching badges and is well qualified to run the city training as director of football.