PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Magees commentary

EAFC_rdfl
13/12/2007, 3:02 PM
Anyone hear him last night - "Wes Brown will have to get fingered for that"

class!!

also in the boxing at the weekend - "Its the kind of stuff you could tape and sell on dvd"

joema
13/12/2007, 3:16 PM
I hate Jimmy MaGee

kingdom hoop
13/12/2007, 3:32 PM
I love Jimmy Magee

John83
13/12/2007, 3:33 PM
Jimmy's a legend.

Also, a UCD fan.

Seano
13/12/2007, 4:45 PM
Jimmy's a legend.

Also, a UCD fan.

Yes Jimmys great ' Horst Hrubesch, the man they call the monster' where else would you get it.

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 11:25 AM
When my brother was making the way up the sporting ladder in the UK, my mother would phone his latest victory in to RTE and Jimmy Magee would without fail read out the result on the RTE sports news on the radio.

Thanks Jimmy.

cheifo
14/12/2007, 1:11 PM
Ok I'll ask...who is your bro Owls fan?:)

Jimmys best moment was Maradonas wonder goal against Engerland in 86."Different class...different classs..."

drinkfeckarse
14/12/2007, 2:35 PM
Jimmy is the man.

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 2:58 PM
Ok I'll ask...who is your bro Owls fan?:)"

Not telling ya :p Made it to the top grade of his sport (internationally) but then didn't make an impact :( for reasons beyond his control. Still involved in sport via the media and it's not Eamon Dunphy.

Tony_Montana
14/12/2007, 3:01 PM
Not telling ya :p Made it to the top grade of his sport (internationally) but then didn't make an impact :( for reasons beyond his control. Still involved in sport via the media and it's not Eamon Dunphy.

When i worked in RTE sports desk some family would keep ringing up in regards to their son doing well for his sunday soccer team across the water !

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 3:02 PM
Some mothers love their sons !!

kingdom hoop
14/12/2007, 3:05 PM
I'll take a stab at Richie (or do you call him Richard? :p) Sadlier. Articulate and with a sense of humour, like his brother. Won a cap I believe (international standard), and then injuries (matters outside his control) curtailed his undoubted potential.

I'm happy with my guess anyway! Although I get the feeling it might be someone a little older perhaps....

Tony_Montana
14/12/2007, 3:07 PM
It's not football i bet, Show jumping would be odds on or lacrosse

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 3:13 PM
None of those sports and older is correct.

osarusan
14/12/2007, 3:27 PM

Steve Collins? (;))

pineapple stu
14/12/2007, 3:31 PM
Going on the individual victories you mention, I'm going to go with boxing. Jimmy's done a fair bit of boxing coverage in his time.

Great character. Bought a fanzine one time. Had Czech money on him because he was just back from commentating on some event out there. Then pointed out that he was standing beside the Czech table tennis champion from 1957...

kingdom hoop
14/12/2007, 3:35 PM
I was thinking athletics for some reason. I don't think Owlsfan contributed much to the recent threads on boxing!

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 3:37 PM
Our family were too good looking to be boxers. Table tennis.....hmmmm, I did win a table tennis medal (at school: runners-up). Still love the game but I don't think the brother ever played it.

centre mid
14/12/2007, 3:39 PM
Snooker?

drinkfeckarse
14/12/2007, 3:43 PM
Athletics?

drinkfeckarse
14/12/2007, 3:44 PM
I like this game...

strangeirish
14/12/2007, 3:44 PM
Michelle Smith!...Oh wait, you did say brother. Kind of the same thing though.

centre mid
14/12/2007, 3:45 PM
Cruffs?

passinginterest
14/12/2007, 3:46 PM
I'm going with snooker or tennis.

kingdom hoop
14/12/2007, 3:47 PM
Michelle Smith!...

Funny, I was about to suggest Gary O'Toole.

I betcha it is Gary. Owlsfan always struck me as a tool. :D :o

kingdom hoop
14/12/2007, 3:54 PM
I'm going with snooker or tennis.

I don't think so. International level snooker doesn't really exist. And he would've surely played table tennis if it was tennis! The media clue is an interesting one, that's partly why I took a stab at Gary O'Toole.

We should get Tuff Paddy on the case. ;)

osarusan
14/12/2007, 4:18 PM
his brother is a jockey?

Cricketer?

Ah ha, owls fan often posts on the cricket threads!!!!!!

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 4:23 PM
Snooker?

No, but I am a good friend of Ken Doherty's brother ;)

Not athletics or cricket (although I do play) either :D

centre mid
14/12/2007, 4:30 PM
Ok so now i know where you live

Is it motor sport of any kind?

osarusan
14/12/2007, 4:33 PM
motor racing? Golf? Has rugby been mentioned?

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 4:33 PM
One of those.

kingdom hoop
14/12/2007, 4:39 PM
Oh God it's not that ginger pr!ck Dave Kennedy? :)

I think it is!

Do I get to meet him?

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 4:47 PM
Right!! How did you guess that :confused:?

http://f1rejects.com/drivers/kennedy/biography.html

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 5:08 PM
RTE showed the final race of the Aurora F1 Championship live. Rupert Keegan was a few points behind David and after much wheel banging, David and Keegan crashed. Keegan's car resumed and went out to collect the points necessary to win the championship. David stayed stuck in the tyres. You think a peno shootout in Italy is tense. Trying watching that. My mother almost had a heart attack on the spot because he didn't move for 5 seconds after the crash.

kingdom hoop
14/12/2007, 5:26 PM
:D Whooooooo!!!! Brilliant. Well done me!

How did you guess that ?

The fact that he's a pr!ck, or just his name? :p

Ah I was just going for the media angle all along, what with Ireland being so small and all. I hadn't really thought of motor racing til you said it might be it, so obviously that was the key. When I was younger and foolish, say 10 years ago, and in the heady days of Jordan, I used to like watching cars zoom around a track, and it just so happens that your brother was the one telling me the technicalities of it all! I can't honestly remember what I thought of him, just remembered the name, hair colour, and come to think of it, a pretty pleasant voice. I was always wondering what his story was, if he raced, what the hell did an Irishman have to with Formula 1, well now I know! :)

Thanks for the biography link. I was gonna say alright that it must've been nerve-racking for your mother, probably a good job more races weren't on TV! Still it must have been really exciting having a brother on the world stage like that. I would've been so proud I'd say. Great shame he didn't quite make it in F1, by the sounds of things it was, as you said, largely outside of his control. Motorsport is all about getting the breaks though I suppose. He still sounds like he made a great career out of it. I'm blown away by it all I must say, who would've thunk it! Well done Owlsfan's brother, one of Ireland's few motorracing greats! Now if only one of my brothers were famous and we could play again!

OwlsFan
15/12/2007, 1:37 PM
He and Derek Daly went off to work in the mines in Australia in the outback to save money to buy their Formula Ford cars. Being red haired, he lost at least 4 layers of skin but that was the kind of dedication both he and Daly showed to get a start in the game. They had a dream and they both pursued it.

For years the only talk in the house was about motor racing and we brothers basked in the reflected glory. Never took to the sport myself and would sooner go to Milltown than Mondello. I went once there to watch himself and Daly race each other and it was the most frightening experience of my life as the two of them banged wheels for 30 laps. I never went again.

cheifo
17/12/2007, 9:45 AM
Derek Daly! now theres a name I have'nt heard in a long time.God we use to be fanatical about sporting heros in this country!

OwlsFan
17/12/2007, 10:11 AM
Derek lives in the States now. He commentates for USA television on some sports car championship. He's lucky to be alive. Almost killed himself in a huge smash some years ago.

placid casual
17/12/2007, 3:37 PM
back on topic.
I think jimmy magee is great,by far the best commentator on irish tele.
he has a voice and a sense of wonderment that endears him to the listener.
certainly beats ger canning,mart morrissey or gorgeous george hamilton anyway

geysir
17/12/2007, 9:08 PM
Owls, what were the the reasons (out of his control) that prevented David from carrying on?
Was it the crash?
The F1 reject web page doesn´t say except that after a successful season he all but retired and turned his attention to other matters.

Pauro 76
18/12/2007, 6:48 AM
Jimmy is a legend. Glad he's still commentating. Loved him on Know Your Sport too. The Memory Man!

OwlsFan
18/12/2007, 6:53 AM
Owls, what were the the reasons (out of his control) that prevented David from carrying on? Was it the crash?
The F1 reject web page doesn´t say except that after a successful season he all but retired and turned his attention to other matters.

In F1? His team, Shadow, went bankrupt and he didn't get offered another drive. Instead he got offered a drive for Mazda sportscars and drove in the Le Mans 24 hours race winning his class. After some years of that, age eventually caught up. He now commentates on F1 for Setanta and has a column during the season in the Sunday Indo.

Going back to commentators, my favourite (might have said this already) was Phillip Green.

geysir
18/12/2007, 11:31 AM
Phil Greene :)
Ronnie to Johnny, passes over to Frank, Frank moves like lightening along the wing, leaves the full back for dead, crosses the ball, headed out - not cleared - Mick Leech hits it on the volley, we scored.

Stuttgart88
18/12/2007, 11:40 AM
OF is a keen cricket fan.

geysir
18/12/2007, 6:20 PM
I thought Owlsfan was a Rovers fan which could partly explain why he has a soft spot for Phil Greene.

CollegeTillIDie
19/12/2007, 5:36 AM
Brush Shiels was on RTE a few years ago and he sang a famous well known Kris Kristofferson song except he altered the title to '' Me And Jimmy Magee'' :D