PDA

View Full Version : better players

yan
08/06/2001, 12:01 AM
am i the only one who thinks we need better players,its good that we get young players released by cross channel clubs but what about the players in the league,when was the last time city bought a quality player with some money,
peter hutton went to shels and hes the kind of player we could do with in our midfield,i mean flanagan and herrick isnt the best partenership in the league.
and what about a left footed player,ollie cahill is our onlygood player with a left foot,n.horgan is a right full back and thats all,not a left back,
y is johnny c ,still at 36 i think,starting ahead of colin o brien on the right of midfield,give him a coaches job or something,
does nebody of ne possible transfers over the summer that will make me re-new my season ticket,

what about the fixture list for next season,we play away from home on the last day of the season AGAIN,whats wrong there like,thats 3yrs in a row,

at least we have bohs,shels and rovers at home twice this,

slan anois:cool:

A face
08/06/2001, 2:19 AM
I think the club are a bit strapped for cash at the moment, but there are some really good players coming into the squad anyway from the youths, i think we are alright for next year as it is ...... just dont expect silverware. It will be a long haul yet before we can challage for the league again confidently. Sorry ... there is always the Munster senior cup to play for.

joe
08/06/2001, 9:42 AM
They did splash out last year on Devine and Mulligan who were the first players City bought from another league club, who hadn't previously been on Leeside, for a long time unless I'm forgetting about someone?

The whole strapped for cash thing can be explained by the low gates, but:

1) when we have good gates what's done to make sure those people come back every week/ever again?

2) look at shels - we were there the last day of the season when they should of won the league and there was only around 3,000(?) at it, yet they are pretty much full-time pros and make big signings every year.

Éanna
08/06/2001, 10:43 AM
The other thing to remember is the travel situation. It's ok for shels to have poor attendances when half of their away trips are in a 10 mile radius- until rovers go all the way to tallaght, god forbid it could be 12 or 13!- when all of our ours are probably 100+ at least.

pete
08/06/2001, 11:04 AM
(being rant)

Until City realise (like $hel$ have) that no club can survive with the majority of its funds coming from gate receipts we will always be also rans. Sure we might win the league sometime but will surely be a once off.

I think i've heard that $hel$ only receive as low as 20% of thier revenue from gate receipts. I'd guess City receive maybe 80% from gate receipts. The City Lotto & new club shop is a good start in this regards.

I'd guess that you'll receive feck all in sponsorship (shirts & pitch side) unless you get on TV. To get on TV you need to be successful as well as having floodlights & proper facilities for the media. Most games shown are friday night games & since we don't have floodlights we are excluding ourselves from this source of exposure & revenue.

Apparently Umbro paid for $hel$ training camp in France last year, obviously because the exposure if $hel$ did well in Europe!

Bohs got new shirt sponsor Adecco almost entirely from good UEFA CUP campaign.

I don't think City really need to go out splashing cash around to get players off other clubs but I think they do have a duty to provide a fulltime football career for any young player who is good enough & wants it! Better than the alternative of playing too much money to old part-time players!

(rant over)

Éanna
08/06/2001, 11:09 AM
Spot on rebel.

A face
08/06/2001, 10:44 PM
I think that as regards this issue, the rumour that 96 fm becoming a sponcer was a great idea if it ever materialised as they would continually give it air play, making people aware of it. there is no presence around the City. If the club are doing well and get a few games on the box, it is great to attract sponcers but a good crowd at the cross also attracts sponcers, local ones anyway. My point is that while trying to get "big" sponcers the club should capitalise on the small ones too, some of the adverts surrounding the pitch are woeful, the rust seems to be the only thing keeping them up.