PDA

View Full Version : Fran Gavin - Settling-In Period Over

A face
12/12/2007, 11:54 AM
With Fran Gavin (Director of the FAI Eircom League of Ireland) in the role over a year now, his settling in period is over. With this new all singing all dancing league in full swing ideally we'd have guys in these roles stepping up to the plate and make his mark. He is the guy that needs to be visible and propagate the merits of the league and innovatively steer and pioneer the game forward. Not to have the league plod along and meander its way from year to year.

If we could recap on the season, What have we seen from him this year?

And more importantly ….. vitally, crucially, what ever word you need to use

What do we need to see from him next year?

Does it all swing in the balance on what he can actually do?

dcfcsteve
12/12/2007, 12:07 PM
Fran who....? :confused:

Delaney runs our league.....

MariborKev
12/12/2007, 12:51 PM
Naw he doesn't.

Gavin does, and with an iron fist. Not well liked amongst clubs......

dcfcsteve
12/12/2007, 12:56 PM
Naw he doesn't.

Gavin does, and with an iron fist. Not well liked amongst clubs......

Delaney has his own iron fist up Gavin's arse though, Orville style.

History has proven what happens to people who don't dance to Delaney's tune... :eek:

MariborKev
12/12/2007, 1:00 PM

History has proven what happens to people who don't dance to Delaney's tune... :eek:

Believe what you want Steve.

Gavin runs the League in an operational sense. Obviously he is going to consult with the CEO, but the League is only one aspect of the FAI.

Tis-smeee
12/12/2007, 4:47 PM
Ah it did now he is in evil genius, lighten up a bit. anyway fran seems to be all about fines without actually solving some of the bigger issues in the league

Jerry The Saint
12/12/2007, 4:49 PM

FINES

Oh, and junkets.

And a highly-developed sense of entitlement.

passerrby
12/12/2007, 4:52 PM
I was going to say leadership but people might think I was serious and not sarcastic

pixiehead
12/12/2007, 6:33 PM

Orville style! Classic :D:D

pixiehead
12/12/2007, 6:35 PM
With Fran Gavin (Director of the FAI Eircom League of Ireland) in the role over a year now, his settling in period is over. With this new all singing all dancing league in full swing ideally we'd have guys in these roles stepping up to the plate and make his mark. He is the guy that needs to be visible and propagate the merits of the league and innovatively steer and pioneer the game forward. Not to have the league plod along and meander its way from year to year.

And more importantly ….. vitally, crucially, what ever word you need to use

What do we need to see from him next year?

Does it all swing in the balance on what he can actually do?

We have seen Absolutley nothing IMO. One of the things that really gets to me is the lack of advertisement of the league.

Bald Student
12/12/2007, 7:08 PM
To be fair to the man, he inherited a registration crisis on his first day of the job and handled it as well as could be done.

Paddyfield
12/12/2007, 9:22 PM
To be fair to the man, he inherited a registration crisis on his first day of the job and handled it as well as could be done.

Good point BS. At least it didn't surface at the end of the season

Tis-smeee
13/12/2007, 12:34 AM
One point is the fai cup, the first round is played before the transfer window and the second months later and after the window , which effects almost al players signed in the window , also the drawn out nature of it leads to a sense of apathy among supporters , Id like to see fran the evil genius fix that

dcfcsteve
13/12/2007, 12:42 AM

So what did he do from Day 2 onwards....? :confused:

A face
13/12/2007, 1:07 AM
So what did he do from Day 2 onwards....? :confused:

He was on Prime Time when Shels went bust, when was that again?

Rocky77
13/12/2007, 9:39 AM
When are the PFAI going to replace him, by the way?

Stephen McGuinness has been 'acting' general secretary for over a year now.

dcfcsteve
13/12/2007, 10:24 AM
He was on Prime Time when Shels went bust, when was that again?

January, IIRC - almost a year ago.

Any other pointers on what he's done......?

A face
13/12/2007, 10:36 AM
January, IIRC - almost a year ago.

Any other pointers on what he's done......?

I'm drawing a loss, can't think of anything else he's done. Was he in Durban?

Whats his brief? What should he be doing?

OneRedArmy
13/12/2007, 10:52 AM
He led the attempts to fine a Derry City for a supporters innocous blog article that was mildly and accurately critical of the FAI.

This fine was quietly withdrawn.

damien
13/12/2007, 7:05 PM
how much money did he bring in with all the fines the clubs got this season and did it pay for the trip to Durban.

fitzknows
13/12/2007, 7:44 PM
I think Gavin is just what the league needs. He doesn't take any crap from anybody. If he's not popular amongst the clubs then that's a good sign that he's doing his job right.

micls
13/12/2007, 8:28 PM
If he's not popular amongst the clubs then that's a good sign that he's doing his job right.

Why? Surely that depends on his job. Is it his job to be unpopular. Mooney is very popular and does a good job.

He's good at fining clubs alright though

A face
14/12/2007, 12:02 AM
I think Gavin is just what the league needs. He doesn't take any crap from anybody. If he's not popular amongst the clubs then that's a good sign that he's doing his job right.

How about the bigger picture? Why did you not bring that into you point? The league will progress at a rate of knots with club hating him is your opinion?

You might think its all very well to by handing out fines left right and centre, run a campaign of censorship and put in lame below parr efforts on Prime Time but i dont.

Can you quantify what he has done? The guy has been anonymous. We heard heard absolutely nothing from him this season. Why is everything in this thread negative? Why isn't there anything else to relay?

Crushing clubs, the people who are in this for the long haul, graft, a minority who actually give a fawk is your some total of what he has done so yeah? Fair play, have a nice Christmas and all that.

The bigger picture, the general public, the people we are meant to be attracting, be visible to ... what about them? No comment there no?

Even if the guy was banging his own drum i'd say something but he has been the league best kept secret. It falls short imo, very far short. We'll watch this space i suppose ...... inspiring stuff altogether :rolleyes:

Student Mullet
14/12/2007, 1:29 AM
He has avoided major cack ups.

A face
14/12/2007, 7:41 AM
He has avoided major cack ups.

FAI Cup Final threes after the league has finished.
Gate Receipts fiasco for the FAI Cup Final

Just two off the top of my head.

fitzknows
14/12/2007, 11:31 AM
So you think the league was run better in 2006 than it was in 2007?

A face
14/12/2007, 1:20 PM
So you think the league was run better in 2006 than it was in 2007?

That wasn't the issue, its was Fran Gavins anonymity we are talking about. Why dont you give us your opinion on that?

MariborKev
14/12/2007, 1:45 PM
Can you quantify what he has done? The guy has been anonymous. We heard heard absolutely nothing from him this season. Why is everything in this thread negative? Why isn't there anything else to relay?

With the greatest respect, and I'd be a critic, that is the way it should be.

Ask a Premersh*te fan, who is the Operations Manager of the EPL?

He shouldn't be out there making headlines, he is there to keep the show on the road.

harps1954
14/12/2007, 2:09 PM
FAI Cup Final threes after the league has finished.
Gate Receipts fiasco for the FAI Cup Final

Just two off the top of my head.

He has no say in the running of the FAI Cup - completely seperate competition which is run by the FAI themselves. The guy you should be relating this to is Paul Brady, who runs the FAI domestic department and runs the FAI Cup. I'm afraid you can't blame Fran Gavin for the FAI Cup final fiasco(s).