PDA

View Full Version : Rangers on RTE?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Devoted
12/12/2007, 10:01 AM
What do people think of RTE showing Rangers tonight?
Although United and Arsenal are both through, surely people would still rather watch either of them ahead of that crowd.

OwlsFan
12/12/2007, 10:07 AM
I think you've answered your own question. Man U and Arsenal are through so, other than their own fans, why would anyone want to watch those games? z-z-z-z-z.

Much more at stake at Ibrox and even if many people are up for the opposition, it will make for far more interesting viewing.

Dodge
12/12/2007, 10:08 AM
pathetic.

Its one of the few ties with any real meaning. Last time out RTE showed Barcelona v Lyon. A very welcome development IMO

drinkfeckarse
12/12/2007, 10:14 AM
They're showing a game that will have a bit of fizz to it. What's the problem?? Better than watching a Man Utd or an Arsenal team with half the stiffs playing.

tetsujin1979
12/12/2007, 10:48 AM
because it's one of the few games on tonight with something at stake, and is probably going to be far more competitive than the United's reserves VS Roma and Arsenal's second string VS Steaua.
Was delighted last week to watch the Barcelona - Lyon game

EAFC_rdfl
12/12/2007, 10:52 AM
as long as they get a right good pumping I won't mind to much but if they jammy feckers sneak through i'll be raging. And if I hear any sort of niceness towards them from the rte commentary team (probably trevor steven :mad: ) then it'll be over to sky one for the united game!

anto1208
12/12/2007, 10:54 AM
I think its great , i won t be watching it , id prefere if they showed the carling cup 1/4 final tonight but there you go.

pete
12/12/2007, 10:55 AM
It is about time RTE showed games for Rangers supporters in Ireland.

Stuttgart88
12/12/2007, 11:01 AM
I think it's the right game to show. Way more interesting than the English clubs' games. Well done RTE.

jebus
12/12/2007, 11:04 AM
Thank God they are showing Rangers, I thought I was going to have to sit through another meaningless United tie. Good work by RTE

gustavo
12/12/2007, 11:08 AM
as long as they get a right good pumping I won't mind to much but if they jammy feckers sneak through i'll be raging. And if I hear any sort of niceness towards them from the rte commentary team (probably trevor steven :mad: ) then it'll be over to sky one for the united game!
Yeah wouldnt be right to be balanced now would it

mypost
12/12/2007, 11:10 AM
It is about time RTE showed games for Rangers supporters in Ireland.

What Rangers fans here?? :confused:

beautifulrock
12/12/2007, 11:10 AM
Good work by RTE, I am looking forward to watching it. By the way is it ok to boo my own TV :)

scottish_bohs
12/12/2007, 11:24 AM
I was surprised they were showing it, but delighted nonetheless.

Now, come on Lyon!!!

Dodge
12/12/2007, 11:48 AM

Billy Bagster. Billy Gibson. Probably a few people not called Billy too

gustavo
12/12/2007, 11:50 AM
http://members.lycos.co.uk/dublinrangers/

these guys too probably

cheifo
12/12/2007, 11:51 AM
I think Trevor Steven had complimented RTE coverage.He is sensible and ego free.He used to play for Rangers so naturallyhe is going to be up for them.Really could'nt care less if they qualify or not.

eirebhoy
12/12/2007, 12:14 PM
pathetic.

Its one of the few ties with any real meaning. Last time out RTE showed Barcelona v Lyon. A very welcome development IMO
Agreed.

Rangers v Lyon is the biggest game of the night by far. The amount of countries showing it says all we need to know:
http://liveonsat.com/

onenilgameover
12/12/2007, 12:25 PM
i was delighted they were showing it..i didnt think they would...fair play i reckon...stupid first post...

luka
12/12/2007, 12:30 PM
pathetic.

I concur and am looking forward to watching it. My guess it it'll be a right cracker of a game.

Noelys Guitar
12/12/2007, 12:32 PM
Good move by RTE. Lets hope Lyon show up unlike Marseille last night. The right full for Marseille (Bonnart) looked like he had won a reality show with a starting spot in the Marseille side as his prize. I used to play for Rangers (Bushy park variety).

reder
12/12/2007, 1:14 PM
The right game to show without a doubt. Rangers only need a point to go through and should get it. Anyway it should be a good game and there will be a cracking atmosphere at it.

Now, I have to go over to the Liverpool/Everton thread and explain what a 0-4 win in Europe is like to the bitters. :)

Sheridan
12/12/2007, 3:27 PM
pathetic.

And they still managed to spend the entire post-game period talking about the quality of the match in the context of the Premiership. :rolleyes:

Heaven forfend they should actually show games that didn't involve British teams. Someone informed UEFA of RTÉ's CL broadcasting policy a few years ago and UEFA said they thoroughly disapproved and would look into it. Maybe time to start agitating again...

micls
12/12/2007, 3:37 PM
Thank God they are showing Rangers, I thought I was going to have to sit through another meaningless United tie. Good work by RTE

Spot on. Only match that matters, and should be a good game

Plenty of City/Rangers fans. In fact there is a team of city fans who play football with a name as tribute OFF Rangers

Jerry The Saint
12/12/2007, 3:41 PM
And they still managed to spend the entire post-game period talking about the quality of the match in the context of the Premiership. :rolleyes:

Heaven forfend they should actually show games that didn't involve British teams. Someone informed UEFA of RTÉ's CL broadcasting policy a few years ago and UEFA said they thoroughly disapproved and would look into it. Maybe time to start agitating again...

They were very pleased last night - "Great times for British football, wouldn't it be terrific if Rangers can complete the job so we have all 6 British teams in the next round" etc.

I don't really have a problem with this attitude and I don't mind as much as some to see our neighbours do well. I'm surprised that RTE are so open about it. Obviously they're pleased for commercial reasons - the majority of their viewers being only interested in British teams - and it makes their jobs easier as they don't have to learn as many new names of players in non-British leagues, but it's starting to come off as a little triumphalist. Almost like RTE are trying to stake a claim to some of the glory, seeing as "our" teams are doing so well.

And then the internationals come around and they love nothing more than putting the boot in and delighting in every single thing that goes against English teams :confused:

In the words of Yakov Smirnoff - WHAT A COUNTRY! :)

jebus
12/12/2007, 3:41 PM

That's off the mark though, the majority of football supporters on this island follow British football, RTE want to get it's maximum number of viewers so they show British teams, Celtic, United and Liverpool mostly. It's called supply and demand. I suspect they are showing Rangers to draw in the Celtic crowd, desperate to see their rivals knocked out

Real ale Madrid
12/12/2007, 3:50 PM
Simple really: Rangers, Man Utd, Arsenal - 3 British teams - only 1 with something at stake. Show Rangers. Irish soccer public like to watch British teams and rte are showing the most interesting tie left. Why the anger?

superfrank
12/12/2007, 3:52 PM
Smart move by RTÉ. They'll probably get a load of Celtic fans tuning in to support
Lyon.

Don't see any problem with RTÉ showing Rangers. As mentioned it should be a bit more exciting then other games tonight.

GavinZac
12/12/2007, 3:52 PM

looking forward to our recognition tonight :)

Sheridan
12/12/2007, 4:00 PM
That's off the mark though, the majority of football supporters on this island follow British football, RTE want to get it's maximum number of viewers so they show British teams, Celtic, United and Liverpool mostly. It's called supply and demand. I suspect they are showing Rangers to draw in the Celtic crowd, desperate to see their rivals knocked out
If they replaced the Nine o'Clock News with live female mud wrestling I'm sure more people would tune in, but is that the kind of logic a public broadcaster should espouse? Entire generations of Irish children have grown up immersed in and yet totally ignorant of the game of football because their only exposure to it was via the British game.

I realise this is a very bold statement given the staggering level of ignorance of the person involved, but bear with me; Bill O'Herlihy has actually grown less knowledgeable about the game of football over the years due to his constant and exclusive exposure to the Premiership. If they're not interested in the Champions League per se, don't broadcast it. It's a pan-European competition, no The Premiership On Tour. Not only do they damage domestic football by cheerleading on behalf of the British game, they fail to educate and enlighten their viewers in the process.

pineapple stu
12/12/2007, 4:03 PM
Agreed. I've been toying with the idea of taking up following Rangers, just to see how many people I can wind up that way. Might use tonight as a springboard for that idea.

(Though more than likely not...)

geysir
12/12/2007, 4:06 PM
looking forward to our recognition tonight :)

Is there another one?
The imbecilic website of the Dublin RSC hasn't been updated in 3 years :)
I fancy Lyon to do what Liverpool did last night.
I see their manager is Alain "reggie" Perrin, sometimes missing but never lost.

jebus
12/12/2007, 4:12 PM
The news constantly gets higher figures than WWF RAW over at Sky, a programme which often features female mud wrestling so I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Anyway what moral obligation do you think RTE has to show the children of Ireland, French, German, Italian, Spanish or other nations football? Their Italian program in the 90s was dropped because of poor ratings, despite it being the best football magazine show around, so the 90s kids had little interest, and this was in the days before the internet made football highlights readily available. If, say Derry had qualified for CL group stages. were assured of finishing last by this stage and RTE showed Rangers instead of Derry I'd kick up a stink, as they have an obligation to show Irish football, the rest of Europe for me though is down to their sport's editors choice as to what he thinks will pull in the most viewers as far as I'm concerned

eirebhoy
12/12/2007, 4:52 PM
Agreed. I've been toying with the idea of taking up following Rangers, just to see how many people I can wind up that way. Might use tonight as a springboard for that idea.

(Though more than likely not...)
There's a couple of (proper) Rangers supporters on boards.ie. One I think lives in Donegal though. The other is a Glaswegian living in Dublin with his wife. Seems like a decent guy and always asking for places to watch the match in Dublin and if anyone is interested in meeting up. Give him a shout. Something to keep you interested while the LOI is on a break. :)

OwlsFan
12/12/2007, 4:56 PM
There's a couple of (proper) Rangers supporters on boards.ie....... Seems like a decent guy ....

Is there an inference there that most Rangers' supporters are not decent guys ? ;)

crc
12/12/2007, 4:57 PM
Get over yourself! :rolleyes:

osarusan
12/12/2007, 5:04 PM
Well I think it is a disgrace.

With a good Irish club like Man United on TV, they have to show those heathens.
Ken Doherty would turn in his grave.

It's bigggotry, bigggotry with 3 g's.

niallsparky
12/12/2007, 5:44 PM
What Rangers fans you say? Bohs,Linfield and Rangers - the three sisters.;) Allez les Blues!

Lionel Ritchie
12/12/2007, 5:45 PM
Between this, the latvians the blacks and the coke ...is this a catholic country anymore or what?

;)

GavinZac
12/12/2007, 5:54 PM
Between this, the latvians the blacks and the coke ...is this a catholic country anymore or what?

;)sure once we keep the spirit of xmas alive we're grand

niallsparky
12/12/2007, 6:59 PM
1-0 down:(

GavinZac
12/12/2007, 7:03 PM
1-0 down:(

i still fancy us for the draw. lyon may have signed their own death sentence there as i bet they'll now have to defend for the rest of the match which is very fatiguing. we can do it.

eirebhoy
12/12/2007, 7:49 PM
i still fancy us for the draw. lyon may have signed their own death sentence there as i bet they'll now have to defend for the rest of the match which is very fatiguing. we can do it.
You need goalscorers first... Disgraceful team selection tbh. Without doubt their most defensive team of the season by far. At home to Barca they played Cousin, Beasley and Adam. Tonight Cousin was the only attack minded player to start. Whitaker is an attacking right back who Walter plays as a winger. McCullogh is a combative player for the other side. Hemdani is a really defensive holding midfielder. Thomson is a holding midfielder. Ferguson is a general box to box player and their most likely source of a goal, which says it all.

I've no respect for Walter Smith and those type of tactics at home.

GavinZac
12/12/2007, 8:18 PM
christ put the bloody thing in the net!

GavinZac
12/12/2007, 8:27 PM
0-3, dead and buried. better finishing and this could have ended differently, but man for man, lyon have been superior.

eirebhoy
12/12/2007, 8:31 PM
Darchville's shot clearly bounced a few inches too high on that terrible surface. If it wasn't for that it was 1-1 and Rangers 10 minutes from the last 16.

geysir
12/12/2007, 8:35 PM
Would have been a travesty if Lyon were deprived of their due.

sligoman
12/12/2007, 8:38 PM
Lyon to win the Champions League anybody?:eek: Not a great performance but have some real quality and with a bit of luck they could do it.

rambler14
12/12/2007, 8:41 PM
Good game all the same. It was probably the one game left in the whole competition where there was something to play for.

stojkovic
12/12/2007, 8:45 PM
There's a couple of (proper) Rangers supporters on boards.ie. One I think lives in Donegal though. The other is a Glaswegian living in Dublin with his wife. Seems like a decent guy and always asking for places to watch the match in Dublin and if anyone is interested in meeting up. Give him a shout. Something to keep you interested while the LOI is on a break. :)

Most Protestants are.