PDA

View Full Version : Serbia (home) 24th May

Ash
11/12/2007, 8:50 PM
FAI announced a home friendly against Serbia for 24th May

Linky (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2724)

kingdomkerry
11/12/2007, 9:55 PM
Is it a coincidence that serbia borders montenegro. Anyway what happened to Argentina and Italy?

Superhoops
12/12/2007, 12:11 AM
Is it a coincidence that serbia borders montenegro. Anyway what happened to Argentina and Italy?

Pehaps you have been on Mars or somewhere more distant since WC qualifying draw was made.

Bondvillain
12/12/2007, 12:11 AM

Italy's very much a no-go with the the upcoming Qualifiers and all, but as for Argentina? who knows?

Regarding the choice of Serbia, according to an "FAI Source" on the RTE website, it's no coincidence.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/1211/republic.html

'When the draw for the 2010 World Cup was made last month in South Africa, it was apparent that we drew the toughest sixth seed opponents in Montenegro.

'We feel that the Serbia friendly will provide a vital opportunity for us to test ourselves against a technically strong team and in terms of playing style, they are very similar to Montenegro.'

elroy
12/12/2007, 8:27 AM
Still room for another friendly in August (although did the Gah only give rights to 2 friendlies?) Serbia is a decent choice in my opinion, going to be playing a few teams from eastern europe and arguably serbia are one of the best of them.

gwhite
12/12/2007, 9:10 AM
Saturday May 24th at Croker. I think we'd have been better served by playing this away. I fear that we're not preparing properly for our away games in the WC qualifiers....

Hibernian
12/12/2007, 9:23 AM
Saturday May 24th at Croker. I think we'd have been better served by playing this away. I fear that we're not preparing properly for our away games in the WC qualifiers....

Agree

This is the FAI trying to make some Euro from this thats all.

They should have played this away totally agree

harps1954
12/12/2007, 9:23 AM
This means anyone wanting to go to the Brazil game will have to buy the tickets for this game as well as part of a package. No problem for most of us on here, but for the gloryhunters who just wanted tickets for the Brazil game, ha fecking ha!!

gwhite
12/12/2007, 9:45 AM
They should set up an away double header right after this agaianst the likes of Albania, Belarus, Ukraine, Bosnia, etc. Horrible places to go, hostile crowds, as likely to be beaten 3-0 as sneaking a 1-0 will. And the likes of Keane and O'Shea, Dunne, etc should be told they're going and that's the end of it. Otherwise it'll be the same old story, 3 or 4points picked up on our travels. I can't be the only one who sees this.

lionelhutz
12/12/2007, 9:45 AM
This means anyone wanting to go to the Brazil game will have to buy the tickets for this game as well as part of a package. No problem for most of us on here, but for the gloryhunters who just wanted tickets for the Brazil game, ha fecking ha!!

Its an absolute joke that we'll be forced to buy tickets for these two friendlies if we want to get tickets for the qualifiers. I've been part of the block booking for over 10 years and these friendlies are nothing but a money scam.

I live in Limerick so the trek up and down on a wednesday is asking a bit much for a meaningless friendly - have to get off work on the wed and go to work on the thurs after gettin home l8 wed nite.

I couldnt care less that theyre playin brazil - id much prefer see them play san marino in a competitive game. Add in the excessive price of tickets - what a joke. Don't know if I'll bother anymore. Fans outside Dublin are being very much alienated from the Irish team

Dr. Ogba
12/12/2007, 10:02 AM
Its an absolute joke that we'll be forced to buy tickets for these two friendlies if we want to get tickets for the qualifiers. I've been part of the block booking for over 10 years and these friendlies are nothing but a money scam.

I live in Limerick so the trek up and down on a wednesday is asking a bit much for a meaningless friendly - have to get off work on the wed and go to work on the thurs after gettin home l8 wed nite.

I couldnt care less that theyre playin brazil - id much prefer see them play san marino in a competitive game. Add in the excessive price of tickets - what a joke. Don't know if I'll bother anymore. Fans outside Dublin are being very much alienated from the Irish team

You're right, it is a bloody joke. Block bookers should be given first option to buy tickets for the friendlies and if they refuse then the tickets should go on general sale and the block booker should not be affected for upcoming qualifiers....the current system is an absolute rip-off. sure it p*sses me off and I only live down the road from Croker, can only imagine how the fans outside Dublin feel...:mad:

Hibernian
12/12/2007, 10:57 AM

Have to say I do agree. I am from Cork but lucky to be living in Dublin so it does help big time as I get tickets of my mate.

harps1954
12/12/2007, 11:02 AM

It won't bother you much for the Serbia game then, as it's on a Saturday!

Stuttgart88
12/12/2007, 11:10 AM
I agree that an away trip somewhere tough and comparable to the trips we're facing in qualification would be of more use. However, it'll be the new manager's second or third game only so it'll be a good chance to get the squad together and get used to his personality and methods.

Sure, the FAI has the block-booker by the balls but I'd prefer to be on the inside than on the outside in this regard.

I fully sympathise with the non-Dubs. In fact as a London based fan every home game is an away game for me, but even before I moved to the UK I always thought it was regrettable that Cork or Limerick couldn't stage an international, but that's the way it is. Small country, only one really big population centre. The poor transport to and from Dublin compounds the issue for fans from the rest of the country.

OwlsFan
12/12/2007, 11:33 AM
Scam? The FAI make their money through home games and the sponsorship that comes via that. Without home games, no money. I wouldn't call it a scam.

It's a question of supply and demand. More people want to go to the competitive games than there are places. The FAI are right to "cash" in on this to make money to put in to the grass roots of football.

From a purely football point of view, they should arrange away games but they alas would be loss making ventures and if Terry Vegetables is hired, they'll need lots of dosh to pay him out of his contract when things go pear shaped or should that be carrot shaped.

lionelhutz
12/12/2007, 11:34 AM
It won't bother you much for the Serbia game then, as it's on a Saturday!

Ya, cause thats exactly the point i was trying to make.

Honestly though - does any other national FA force the fans to buy friendly tickets if they want to see the qualifiers?

And the fact is theyd still more than likely have a sell out without this block booking nonsense..........Unless the team continues on the downward spiral its on............Which is the FAI's fault in the first place as they appointed Staunton...............Its a vicious circle

amaccann
12/12/2007, 11:39 AM
To be honest, while away friendlies make sense, I think our problem with away results is more down to (siege) mentality; that is to say, the assumption we're heading into some cauldron of hostility & manic teams trying to beat us 4-0), rather than a lack of friendlies away from home. Hopefully the new manager will get this attitude out of our system, whoever he is. The Czech / Slovakia games surely showed this problem up quite clearly.

Wolfie
12/12/2007, 12:29 PM
To be honest, while away friendlies make sense, I think our problem with away results is more down to (siege) mentality; that is to say, the assumption we're heading into some cauldron of hostility & manic teams trying to beat us 4-0), rather than a lack of friendlies away from home. Hopefully the new manager will get this attitude out of our system, whoever he is. The Czech / Slovakia games surely showed this problem up quite clearly.

True - no amount of away friendlies could count as preparation if we turn in the type of appalling performances we had against Cyprus and San Marino.

Our tactical approach, an ability to adapt during a game and a bit of luck is what's relevant to the away games.

reder
12/12/2007, 12:53 PM

10000000% correct.

TheBoss
12/12/2007, 1:04 PM
In all fairness, they are good teams to play.

SuperDave
12/12/2007, 1:19 PM
In all fairness, they are good teams to play.

yeah, and at least it's serbia, who i would imagine play a similar style of football to montenegro, and who are in fact probably better. i think it's a good idea and while it would have been better away, the choice of opposition can't really be faulted. some people on here never give the fai any credit for anything at all. while they could maybe do better, they could definitely do a damn sight worse.

Reddladd
12/12/2007, 1:39 PM
Talking about the advantage of away games in preparation for the World Cup qualifiers is all well and good but our display in Denmark did nothing other than raise our expectations!

On the posint of BB's and having to buy tickets for friendlies in order to retain competitive entitlements also pi$$es me off but look on the bright side, at least we don't have Brian Kerr in charge.............you'd need a bank loan to pay for all the tickets!

CollegeTillIDie
13/12/2007, 7:31 AM
Our problems on '' the road'' in competitive games are nothing new.
We couldn't win away against any decent opposition between 1967 when we flukely beat Czechoslovakia in Prague 2-1, to our 1-0 win over Scotland 20 years later. That covered the reigns of Meagan, Tuohy, Giles and Hand. Even in friendlies our away record was nigh on embarrassing. We lost to Trinidad and Tobago 3-1 in 1982, before they were any good!

Charlton improved our away record , winning that tournament in Iceland in 1986 but we have slipped back again, especially under both Kerr and Stauton, but we had some very disappointing away competitive results under ''Lucky'' McCarthy too. Most of the problems with playing away from home and indeed inability to defend are down to poor concentration. Perhaps our so called '' golden '' generation have the attention span of a goldfish and that's the real issue!

TheBoss
13/12/2007, 1:09 PM
Ireland's Away Record:
(Not including Euro Championship and World Cup cause they neutral venues)

OVERALL:
Pld: 183 W: 52 D: 45 L: 86 F: 216 A: 294

FRIENDLIES:
Pld: 082 W: 26 D: 18 L: 38 F: 106 A: 136

COMPETITIVE:
Pld: 101 W: 26 D: 27 L: 48 F: 110 A: 158

scousedub
13/12/2007, 9:26 PM
I think i read somewhere we are due to play away in March,anyone hear if this is true and who are we likely to play?

billybunter
14/12/2007, 2:19 AM
i saw somewhere talk of sweden away in march.....(march 26th is the date)