PDA

View Full Version : US Presidential Elections

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

strangeirish
21/11/2008, 7:21 PM
dont know how heavily it is being reported in Ireland, if at all, but it looks like Obama wants Hillary as secretary of state. I think she will accept.
Looks like she is going to accept this position after clearing the vetting process, according to CNN.

pete
21/11/2008, 11:03 PM
Seems ironic that Obama is offering Clinton a position on possibly the area he disagreed most - foreign policy.

Obama proclamations of change looking sketchy now as he hires ex Clinton administration staff.

He also favours the bailout of the big three US car manufacturers & you have to wonder how long it will take for them to flush that cash away.

jebus
25/11/2008, 1:04 AM
Seems ironic that Obama is offering Clinton a position on possibly the area he disagreed most - foreign policy.

Obama proclamations of change looking sketchy now as he hires ex Clinton administration staff.

He also favours the bailout of the big three US car manufacturers & you have to wonder how long it will take for them to flush that cash away.

Not really, he's always said he values the policies of Lincoln above all others, and Lincoln invited people whos views he was strongly opposed to into his cabinet so that he would have people who would make him think about his decisions before he acted on them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another Republican besides Colin Powell given an administration job as well. Plus putting Hilary in his team will fully win over any of those racist democrat soccer mums who refused to vote for him

dancinpants
25/11/2008, 4:34 AM

Hmmm, hard to say really. Their major difference surrounded the issue of face to face meetings without pre conditions. This was the single biggest difference. Now, if Clinton is willing to take the job knowing that she may have to abide by Obamas wishes - wheres the problem?

Yes and no. They are Clinton staff, but that doesn't mean that Obama is Clinton. Bottom line is the economy issue over here is getting bigger and bigger each week. It makes a degree of sense to call on the people from the last economically successful administration....an administration that cleaned up the record deficit run up primarily by Reagan and topped off with Bush 1.

Pete, you say it like its a problem - did I pick you up wrong? The auto bail out is one that really needs to be thought carefully about. If the government sit back and let them fail, there will be MILLIONS of people left unemployed. I heard on the radio that if even ONE of them fail there would be as many as 3,000,000 people out of work as a result. The auto companies themselves and the smaller companies they subcontract to. Now, thats a situation too serious to just say, "Fcuk'em - let'em fail". Many will agree that it should be a case of letting them collapse, they dug their own grave by continuing to produce big pick ups and hummers when people couldn't afford the gas to fill them. Its agreed that IF they get bailed out, there will be severe restrictions

I dunno. Bottom line is the economy has changed the whole dynamic. And thats understandable.

pete
25/11/2008, 9:09 AM
I dunno. Bottom line is the economy has changed the whole dynamic. And thats understandable.

Seems to have now started a culture of big business in the US looking for government bailouts. Going to be difficult for Obama to shake that once it continues. Bail Out for US Auto companies will be money down the drain but I agree he has little option.

pete
01/12/2008, 6:38 PM
BBC News (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/us_elections_2008/7716467.stm)

Obama Canbinet so far:

Secretary of State: Hillary Clinton
Defence Secretary: Robert Gates (current DS)
Treasury Secretary: Timothy Geithner (currently involved in solving banking crises for Bush)
Health Secretary: Tom Daschle
Attorney General (Justice Secretary): Eric Holder (formerly worked for Clinton)
Homeland Security Secretary: Janet Napolitano
UN ambassador: Susan Rice (formerly worked for Clinton)

Not exactly evidence of big changes in Washington. I wonder did the Democratic party encourage any of those appointments...

Lim till i die
01/12/2008, 11:52 PM
Not really, he's always said he values the policies of Lincoln above all others

I agree.

He has lied and talked out both sides of his mouth quite a lot.

You can forget about any progress in the Middle East now that Miss Israel is Sec of State

The more things change the more they stay the same eh? :)

dahamsta
02/12/2008, 4:14 PM
Can we move Obama-specific stuff here now please?

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=107573

adam