PDA

View Full Version : RTE Sports Personality of the Year

OwlsFan
11/12/2007, 1:17 PM
What a joke the RTE home page for this is:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rtesportsawards2007.html

In case you don't know whom they want you to vote for, there is a picture of Padraig Boreington telling us about his victory at the British Open Golf championship and then beneath that an interview with the man. Doh! Then you toggle down and vote.

I voted for Stan ;)

Block G Raptor
11/12/2007, 1:36 PM
anyone want to start a campaign to get Kieran Fallon the award for the craic

OwlsFan
11/12/2007, 2:31 PM
I think Stan would be better :D

Dodge
11/12/2007, 2:34 PM
I nominated Drogheda for team of the year. Anything to stop Kilkenny ****ing hurlers winning it every year

gustavo
11/12/2007, 2:42 PM
Stan and Drogs FTW

DaveyCakes
11/12/2007, 4:01 PM
Team of the year has to be the cricket team

John83
11/12/2007, 4:04 PM
Team of the year has to be the cricket team
I agree. Remarkable results mark them out as the only national team here performing beyond expectations.

OwlsFan
11/12/2007, 4:38 PM
I voted for Stan and the cricket team :D

NeilMcD
11/12/2007, 6:29 PM
Harrington deserves it. Why vote for Stan unless you are having a joke, not a very good one either.

TheBoss
11/12/2007, 10:22 PM
I think the Cricket Team has to be the Team of the Year and the person, I think that Richard Dunne has to be a strong candidate.

rambler14
12/12/2007, 12:04 AM
Padraig Harrington and the Mighty All Conquering Ramblers. If i didn't vote for Ramblers i'd give it to the cricket team.

OwlsFan
12/12/2007, 10:57 AM
Harrington deserves it. Why vote for Stan unless you are having a joke, not a very good one either.

Very perceptive of you. God, you're a bit of a dry old stick. Harrington doesn't have a personality and it's called a Sports Personality vote. My vote for Stan was a vote against RTE (who on the front page have saturated coverage of Harrington) and Harrington himself.

If it Sportsperson of the Year, then Harrington would deserve it but I still wouldn't vote for him because of the way RTE have set it up. It's like one of the old Soviet voting forms where there was only one candidate :rolleyes:

I am not sure if there would be any other candidate though. Dare I say it Roy Keane for getting Sunderland promoted or Trent Johnstone even though he's not Irish.

Dodge
12/12/2007, 11:44 AM
Harrington doesn't have a personality and it's called a Sports Personality vote...

If it Sportsperson of the Year, then Harrington would deserve it but I still wouldn't vote for him because of the way RTE have set it up.

it is actually Sports Person of the Year and not Sports Personality of the year (unlike the BBC award)

The only two Irish sports people to excel in world terms this year were Harrington and Katie Taylor.

Jerry The Saint
12/12/2007, 5:02 PM
Harrington doesn't have a personality and it's called a Sports Personality vote.

Very harsh, I think it's fair to say he qualifies as either a sports person or a sports personality

per·son·al·i·ty (pûr'sə-năl'ĭ-tē)
n., pl. -ties.
1. The quality or condition of being a person :eek:

Everyone uses the name of the BBC award as an excuse to slag off any number of sports persons (Harrington, Federer, Wilkinson etc.) just because they're not gifted stand-up comedians as well as being quite good at something sporty. Personally, I think it's a good thing that a lot of them don't seem to have great "personalities" - you can't have it all (and shouldn't be allowed to :p)!

The alternative is usually someone like George Best or Alex Higgins who were marvellously entertaining sports personalities but had some pretty nasty inner demons to deal with and probably would have been a bit annoying if you actually knew them personally.

Rovers fan
12/12/2007, 6:40 PM
it is actually Sports Person of the Year and not Sports Personality of the year (unlike the BBC award)

The only two Irish sports people to excel in world terms this year were Harrington and Katie Taylor.

Ya but to be fair harrington does face stiffer competition week in week out

Dodge
12/12/2007, 9:05 PM
Ya but to be fair harrington does face stiffer competition week in week out

Well up on the merits of female boxers are you? Maybe she's just that good...

NeilMcD
12/12/2007, 10:43 PM
Very perceptive of you. God, you're a bit of a dry old stick. Harrington doesn't have a personality and it's called a Sports Personality vote. My vote for Stan was a vote against RTE (who on the front page have saturated coverage of Harrington) and Harrington himself.

If it Sportsperson of the Year, then Harrington would deserve it but I still wouldn't vote for him because of the way RTE have set it up. It's like one of the old Soviet voting forms where there was only one candidate :rolleyes:

I am not sure if there would be any other candidate though. Dare I say it Roy Keane for getting Sunderland promoted or Trent Johnstone even though he's not Irish.

First you got the name of the award wrong which is pretty crucial here. I think if you start a thread slagging RTE you should maybe get your facts right. Harrington deserves it end of story.

kingdom hoop
13/12/2007, 12:02 AM
end of story.

But you never told us if they all lived happily ever after! :( :p :o

I agree on Harrington. The amount of dedication and self-belief he has shown throughout his career deserves unending plaudits. To then crown, not cap, it all with the achievement of winning a major this year was great to see, especially as it was from a man who shows you don't need to be anything particularly special to be very successful. (I know he's always been class, but he didn't rest on his lauras) A fantastically friendly and forthcoming ambassador for Ireland, and perfect role model for lazy people like me who just presume success will fall at their door. I can certainly say I am proud of him.

Majors are really what professional golf is all about. But with the dramatic increase in advertising money and correlative media pandering to new-age World Championships and Fed-Ex Cups I think they've been devalued somewhat. But golf has always been a game of prestige and honour, not money. I think the players feel the same way. While they're obviously happy to have their pockets lined, majors are an immeasurable currency. Respect and value within a sport should be crucial criteria when judging awards so for all those reasons, plus he was the first Irishman to win the Irish Open in 20 odd years, Harrington would get my vote even if there were stronger, in a metaphorical sense, contenders than Katie Taylor.

OwlsFan
13/12/2007, 1:34 PM
First you got the name of the award wrong which is pretty crucial here. I think if you start a thread slagging RTE you should maybe get your facts right. Harrington deserves it end of story.

I did indeed but if you read my first post, I primarily focus on the fact that it is a totally biased voting page with Harrington plastered all over it. He does deserve the sportsperson of the year award but it's a joke the way the voting page is set up. Hence my protest vote for Stan.

He's also a dry, humourless bore which reminds me of someone else. Hmmmm, I wonder who that could be.:cool:

kingdom hoop
13/12/2007, 3:26 PM
He's also a dry, humourless bore which reminds me of someone else. Hmmmm, I wonder who that could be.:cool:

Aw, don't be so hard on yourself. :D

I don't think Harrington is as bad as you've made him out to be, or as he comes across on the Late Late interview, I'd say he was nervous or something, mind you Pat Kenny doesn't exactly have his guests jumping out of their seats with excitement at the best of times anyway.

What makes you think he's so bad? When he strides the fairways he always has a huge grin on his face, always acknowedges the crowd with a big, genuine smile and a wave. Hardly the sign of a man with no personality. And when he's interviewed after a round, he's always open, engaging and, frankly, personable.

NeilMcD
14/12/2007, 12:35 AM
I did indeed but if you read my first post, I primarily focus on the fact that it is a totally biased voting page with Harrington plastered all over it. He does deserve the sportsperson of the year award but it's a joke the way the voting page is set up. Hence my protest vote for Stan.

If you run out of points you should start with the personal insults, Oh wait you have already done that,

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 7:07 AM
If you run out of points you should start with the personal insults, Oh wait you have already done that,

Whom did I insult, other than Harrington or do you have someone in mind?

KingdomHoops, true Harrington has a smile on his face but he never has anything interesting to say:

"Ehhhhh, my game. .....me...ehhhhh....I.....ehhhh....me....ehhhh.... me, myself and I....

Dodge
14/12/2007, 8:42 AM
KingdomHoops, true Harrington has a smile on his face but he never has anything interesting to say:

He has as much to say as moist sports people. Always found him to be quite good in interviews. Particularlry if he lost. Seemed to analyse everything pretty quick. Its probably just the game he plays. I can't think of a modern golfer who I'd rank ahead of him in terms of personality

Jerry The Saint
14/12/2007, 10:01 AM
And when he's interviewed after a round, he's always open, engaging and, frankly, personable.

In other words BORING! The public doesn't want its sports stars to be like Harrington, he'd have a lot more respect if he was a manic depressive alcoholic with a violent streak. These are they type of things that separate the likes of Harrington (an ACCOUNTANT for flip's sake:rolleyes:) from the true LEDGINDS.

Jerry The Saint
14/12/2007, 10:02 AM
He has as much to say as moist sports people.

Fair point - swimmers are usually boring as well.

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 10:11 AM
:D Mind you, I didn't find Michelle Smith boring.

kingdom hoop
14/12/2007, 1:01 PM

"Ehhhhh, my game. .....me...ehhhhh....I.....ehhhh....me....ehhhh.... me, myself and I....

Jesus. What do you want? 'Well Pádraig, a good start to the round but you faltered towards the end.' 'Yeah true, Glen Whelan should be shot for that sloppy pass that led to the goal, and what was Laws thinking with the Christmas tree formation, Laws out I say, still, I think we'll make the play-offs.'

If you don't find his interviews interesting it's probably because you've no interest in what he's being asked. Anyway, leave aside any interviews, he could be the most boring person in the world at interviews, but the way he interacts with the crowds and is the most smiley player on tour show that whatever perceived tedium exists doesn't prove that he has no personality, which was your , frightfully disparaging :p, claim.

In other words BORING! The public doesn't want its sports stars to be like Harrington, he'd have a lot more respect if he was a manic depressive alcoholic with a violent streak. These are they type of things that separate the likes of Harrington (an ACCOUNTANT for flip's sake) from the true LEDGINDS.

A big Big John Daly fan then yeah? :) He definitely is a ledgind, but to combine his lifestyle and a successful career like he had is a statistical wonder. I like what you're getting at, we could do with more spunky characters out there. But the last people I'd look at to lead a charge of feckless lifestyles to entertain the masses would be golfers. That's what musicians are for!

The most important thing for a golfer is to be steady upstairs, if any part of your life slip then your game will definitely slip in turn. While as you know footballers can be mentally ill, alcoholics, gambling addicts, and still play a great 90 minutes on a Saturday. Just the nature of the sports, a golfer will never come close to playing consistently, and Daly is a pointed example, if they live the playboy lifestyle that would earn them the ledginds tag. Granted, Harrington doesn't have the natural charm of say Tiger Woods, or you or I :D, but, for me, he commands more respect than John Daly does because he's giving himself the best shot at fulfilling his Buddha-given potential. That satisfies me more than knowing that Daly can drink 12 cans and still shoot a 68, but a he'll have a 78 the next time he does it.

It's frustrating when you see boring sports people but I think we should leave the hedonism to ourselves and let them get on with what they do best. Especially golfers. There is a yawning space there for the ledginds of the world to brighten the sporting pantheons, but the reason, pretty simply, that you don't see enough of them is because they aren't as dedicated as the so-called bores. If you want to lump Harrington in there and deride him for it then fair enough, but I disagree.

osarusan
14/12/2007, 1:33 PM
What are the criteria for winning the award?

Is personality actually part of it, or is "personality" just a nicer way to say "achiever"?

kingdom hoop
14/12/2007, 1:49 PM
It's actually called 'Sportsperson' osarusan. As for criteria, depends on who you talk to. Owlsfan has gone for the righteous indignation approach that because Harrington's picture was on the voting page the whole thing is a set-up, or maybe it's because he thinks Harrington is too boring that such a thought gained credence in his head.

It's a public vote though so aside from the obvious reasons above you'll get all kinds of whimsical frivolities coming into play. :) :p

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 1:55 PM
As for criteria, depends on who you talk to. Owlsfan has gone for the righteous indignation approach that because Harrington's picture was on the voting page the whole thing is a set-up,

:D It's like having an election to the Dail with any number of candidates but with only one candidate mentioned on the ballot paper, with a picture and interview of that candidate on the same sheet.

NeilMcD
14/12/2007, 2:08 PM
Yeah will somebody please put in an FOI request or get a PQ in the Dail on this issue. Surely there should be an audit trail of all the votes. I think we may need EU inspectors in to carry out this very important vote.

Stuttgart88
14/12/2007, 2:14 PM
:D It's like having an election to the Dail with any number of candidates but with only one candidate mentioned on the ballot paper, with a picture and interview of that candidate on the same sheet.Or a selection panel to determine the new Irish manager, as long as it's Terry Venables.

kingdom hoop
14/12/2007, 2:20 PM
Jesus Neil tóg go bog é! He does have a half a point. I think it's more that there are no other obvious candidates that the problem is with really, as against bias from RTE. Ideally the page would've been a lot more detailed with more high points, it just looks like a review of the year. What's the point in mentioning the bad things that happened? It's just poorly done full stop really I think.

Actually Owlsfan, if you look at the site again, you can click on more pictures under where Harrington is. So they did make some half effort, just that they gave Harrington centre stage.

Do you think anybody comes close to challenging, leaving aside the conspiracy? :)

OwlsFan
14/12/2007, 2:31 PM
Do you think anybody comes close to challenging, leaving aside the conspiracy? :)

No, I don't think so but that's not the point though. Why don't RTE just nominate the Sports Person rather than having a page that is saying VOTE FOR HARRINGTON! HERE'S A PICTURE and if that's not enough HERE'S AN INTERVIEW with Harrington.

It's really like what Stutts is saying. Let's have a democratic committee to nominate Venables :D

Rovers fan
14/12/2007, 10:29 PM
Well up on the merits of female boxers are you? Maybe she's just that good...

Thats just stupid.I'm not well up on female boxing but i know there are more male golfers in the world than there are female golfers and i know that to win a tournament harrington has to beat 155 competitors while taylor competes against much less boxers. Also tiger woods is probably the best sports person in the world and harrington had to beat him to win the open. So i don't have to be well up in female boxing to know that padraig harrington faces tougher competiton than katie taylor

Rovers fan
14/12/2007, 10:32 PM
He has as much to say as moist sports people. Always found him to be quite good in interviews. Particularlry if he lost. Seemed to analyse everything pretty quick. Its probably just the game he plays. I can't think of a modern golfer who I'd rank ahead of him in terms of personality

You obviously don't follow golf. Boo weekley and kenny ferrie are two just off the top of my head.

Dodge
14/12/2007, 11:00 PM
Thats just stupid.I'm not well up on female boxing but i know there are more male golfers in the world than there are female golfers and i know that to win a tournament harrington has to beat 155 competitors while taylor competes against much less boxers. Also tiger woods is probably the best sports person in the world and harrington had to beat him to win the open. So i don't have to be well up in female boxing to know that padraig harrington faces tougher competiton than katie taylor
But Taylor's unbeaten. If Harrington had've won even 5 tournaments this year it wouldn't have been a contest. And I'm not even saying that he doesn't deserve it. I'm just saying you're an idiot for dismissing the only Irish sportsperson who dominates her sport

bennocelt
15/12/2007, 9:11 AM
Cant believe anyone is bashing Padraig Harrington, he is a legend and has a great personality. Sure he doesnt drink himself stupid and crack jokes all the time but he is a gentleman, has time for the fans, always plays fair, and is a great ambassador for our country.
A lot of these people who have "personalitys" are a right pain..........Ian Wright comes to mind for some reason, and anybody on BBc question of sport.

Rovers fan
15/12/2007, 4:46 PM
But Taylor's unbeaten. If Harrington had've won even 5 tournaments this year it wouldn't have been a contest. And I'm not even saying that he doesn't deserve it. I'm just saying you're an idiot for dismissing the only Irish sportsperson who dominates her sport

Where did i dismiss her? I just said harrington faces stiffer competiton week in week out and you can't deny that. Yes katie taylor is unbeaten, fair play to her and i think she has had an unbelievable year but she has competed in way less tournaments and against way fewer opponents. How many boxers remain unbeaten for a year? Lots. How many golfers remain unbeaten for a year? None. Its not comparing like with like.

DmanDmythDledge
15/12/2007, 4:53 PM
I just said harrington faces stiffer competiton week in week out and you can't deny that.
No need to drag this down to a male vs female debate !:D

Supreme feet
17/12/2007, 10:04 AM
Voted for Stan out of simple mischief. As for the team, I voted for Wexford Youths - first season in the League and we didn't finish bottom. Mick Wallace should get a few votes simply because he has a great head of hair.

OwlsFan
19/12/2007, 6:41 AM
I see RTE have now short listed a number of individuals and teams, obviously because Stan was running away with the vote :D

OwlsFan
23/12/2007, 5:34 PM
Harrington and the Irish cricket team are the winners:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/golf/2007/1221/harringtonp1.html