PDA

View Full Version : Delaney interview last night

Pages : [1] 2

drummerboy
11/12/2007, 8:54 AM
Anybody watch One on One, last night on RTE. John Murray was the interviewer and questioned Delaney on everything from Eircom Park to Lansdowne, ticket prices, Eircom League, EL clubs in financial trouble, Stauntons appoinment, Delaneys salary, his appointment, the managers job, facilities compared to the GAA. It was a really in-depth interview. I've been a huge critic of Delaney, but have to say he acquitted himself very well.

tetsujin1979
11/12/2007, 9:05 AM
Interview available online here: http://www.rte.ie/news/onetoone/index.html

Paulie
11/12/2007, 9:49 AM
Yeah he did well but in fairness I wouldn't have expected anything less. He's a real politician. Without wishing to open up a whole new debate on this he repeatedly referred to the British Isles when speaking of ourselves, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales which I found a bit irritating, but like I said, other than that he did well.

Traps Cat
11/12/2007, 1:25 PM
Anybody watch One on One, last night on RTE. John Murray was the interviewer and questioned Delaney on everything from Eircom Park to Lansdowne, ticket prices, Eircom League, EL clubs in financial trouble, Stauntons appoinment, Delaneys salary, his appointment, the managers job, facilities compared to the GAA. It was a really in-depth interview. I've been a huge critic of Delaney, but have to say he acquitted himself very well.

I agree - thought he was very calm and collected , considering John Murray spent the whole interview trying to get a rise out of him, using an interview style that would have put the spainish inquisition to shame. I also have been a big critic of Delaney, but credit where its due.

BradyIsMyHero
11/12/2007, 1:46 PM
He also sounded very credible a couple of years ago when he told us he was appointing an up and coming, enthusiastic new manager, a former player with over 100 caps, who would bring passion and commitment back to the side, and whose youthful exuberance would be matched with the steady hand of a wise old footballing eminence grise with a long track record behind him . . . .

drummerboy
11/12/2007, 2:42 PM
I know, a fact I have referred to in other posts. But he talked about the amount of money the FAi will have in the bank by end of year €30million, facilities improving around the country at grass roots level, ect ect

janeymac
11/12/2007, 2:53 PM
Yeah he did well but in fairness I wouldn't have expected anything less. He's a real politician. Without wishing to open up a whole new debate on this he repeatedly referred to the British Isles when speaking of ourselves, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales which I found a bit irritating, but like I said, other than that he did well.

Yea, I thought he was pretty good as well and he wasn't given an easy ride either. He did sort of apologise for referring to ourselves as the "British Isles". He let the mask slip though, when talking about the new youth development/elite academy - something to the effect that we dont want to miss out on the young Peter Canavans, etc. etc, (played GAA for Tyrone for those of you who don't know!).

EalingGreen
11/12/2007, 4:40 PM
Yea, I thought he was pretty good as well and he wasn't given an easy ride either. He did sort of apologise for referring to ourselves as the "British Isles". He let the mask slip though, when talking about the new youth development/elite academy - something to the effect that we dont want to miss out on the young Peter Canavans, etc. etc, (played GAA for Tyrone for those of you who don't know!).

Tbf, Tyrone is British, after all! ;)

Anyhow, those who get irritated when someone refers (technically correctly, btw) to "the British Isles" might consider how irritating it is for others when they themselves refer e.g. to "the North" (for NI) or "Ireland" (when they mean the Republic of Ireland football team) as the very title of this Section of the Board exemplifies! :cool:

Btw, Peter Canavan is just about the last individual who might be persuaded to play a "garrison game", if you know what I mean!

geysir
11/12/2007, 5:08 PM
Ah Zebedee is back, don't miss a chance to pop up whenever there is the slightest opportunity.

I didn't get the mask slipping bit.
Delaney's point was about developing the acadamies so as not to miss out on the Mikey Sheehys or the Peter Canavans, in other words athletes who excelled in other sports.
In the (unlikely) event that Canavan would have wanted to and excelled at soccer, hard to picture him at WP though :)

kingdomkerry
11/12/2007, 5:19 PM
Ignore him!

Saw that interview in my leaba last night. Loved the part where he was asked "Are you a multi millionaire?..... Ah now thats.......(stutter)....thats not a fair question".

He's well able to talk!

geysir
11/12/2007, 5:24 PM
Ignore him!

Saw that interview in my leaba last night. Loved the part where he was asked "Are you a multi millionaire?..... Ah now thats.......(stutter)....thats not a fair question".

He's well able to talk!
So Kingdom what do think of Delaney's search for big strapping 12 year old lads down the country (Kerry way) and develop them in the skills of soccer and that it's been well recognized that depending on mini sized Dubs isn't enough.

EalingGreen
11/12/2007, 6:13 PM
Delaney's point was about developing the acadamies so as not to miss out on the Mikey Sheehys or the Peter Canavans, in other words athletes who excelled in other sports.

So is Delaney intending to open Academies in Tyrone, then? :rolleyes:

kingdomkerry
11/12/2007, 6:20 PM
So Kingdom what do think of Delaney's search for big strapping 12 year old lads down the country (Kerry way) and develop them in the skills of soccer and that it's been well recognized that depending on mini sized Dubs isn't enough.

Not much geysir,

I dont care if its kerry or any other part of ireland these lads come form as long as his search is successful.:cool:

I just turned on the tele when i went to bed last night, did'nt actually hear him mention kerry. What did he say?

janeymac
11/12/2007, 8:53 PM
I didn't get the mask slipping bit.
In the (unlikely) event that Canavan would have wanted to and excelled at soccer, hard to picture him at WP though :)

The devious FAI's plan to rob Norn Iron of all its youth is now out in the open!

Of all the top GAA players in the Republic - Henry Sheflin, Owen Kelly, Kieran Donaghey, the O'Halpins to mention but a few, but he had to mention Canavan:). Mind you, the GAA blazers would probably be very happy if the FAI took all of the Ulster 'rump' along with Cork. They are always up in arms about something. Cork hurlers & footballers are on strike at the moment (and fair play to them).:D

geysir
12/12/2007, 12:14 AM
Not much geysir,

I dont care if its kerry or any other part of ireland these lads come form as long as his search is successful.

I just turned on the tele when i went to bed last night, did'nt actually hear him mention kerry. What did he say?

Just referred to getting the Mikey Sheehys, (considered to be an outstanding athlete) and I just surmised that Kerry was the place to find them:)

The devious FAI's plan to rob Norn Iron of all its youth is now out in the open!
Of all the top GAA players in the Republic - Henry Sheflin, Owen Kelly, Kieran Donaghey, the O'Halpins to mention but a few, but he had to mention Canavan:).
I didn't think of the geography like that 'cause Canavan's identity is so obviously just Irish :) now that you mention it, Delaney is a smart cheeky fécker behind the spiel.

macdermesser
12/12/2007, 7:38 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned his defence of the ticket prices .. which he justifies by the money that is going back into the grassroots.

Leaving aside, that it is also funding his rather large salary and a pay-off to an ex-manager who everyone here could see was going to end in disaster, 50 and 70 euro is an obscene amount of money to be charging people .. especially for families.

Then again, as with everything in Ireland .. from 30 year old badly insulated houses down to eating a poor meal in an expensive restaurant, we are all very quick to part with our money for a poor product.

co. down green
12/12/2007, 3:16 PM
So is Delaney intending to open Academies in Tyrone, then? :rolleyes:

I don't see why not, especially if FIFA's executive committee accepts their own legal department's consistant rulings on the eligibility issue.

If FIFA makes an executive ruling in favour of players from the North representing Ireland, it can hardly deny the association the right to train, facilitate & nurture future young internationals in their own areas, be it in Tyrone or Kerry.

EalingGreen
12/12/2007, 4:18 PM
Originally Posted by EalingGreen
So is Delaney intending to open Academies in Tyrone, then?

I don't see why not, especially if FIFA's executive committee accepts their own legal department's consistant rulings on the eligibility issue.

If FIFA makes an executive ruling in favour of players from the North representing Ireland, it can hardly deny the association the right to train, facilitate & nurture future young internationals in their own areas, be it in Tyrone or Kerry.

So we can also expect to see the FAI opening Academies in England, Scotland and the USA for example? After all, it would be a shame to miss out on the next generation of Peter Butlers, Owen Coyles and Joe Lapira's wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Jerry The Saint
12/12/2007, 4:52 PM
This is fascinating stuff, lads. Has this topic ever been debated on here before:confused:

Fergie's Son
12/12/2007, 5:13 PM
So we can also expect to see the FAI opening Academies in England, Scotland and the USA for example? After all, it would be a shame to miss out on the next generation of Peter Butlers, Owen Coyles and Joe Lapira's wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Well no because none of those countries you mentioned are part of Ireland. Tyrone is.

See the difference :)

GavinZac
12/12/2007, 5:20 PM
he repeatedly referred to the British Isles when speaking of ourselves, Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales which I found a bit irritating, but like I said, other than that he did well.Don't open that can of worms. suffice to say, it is one thing Delaney would be right on.

EalingGreen
12/12/2007, 6:21 PM
Originally Posted by EalingGreen
So we can also expect to see the FAI opening Academies in England, Scotland and the USA for example? After all, it would be a shame to miss out on the next generation of Peter Butlers, Owen Coyles and Joe Lapira's wouldn't it?

Well no because none of those countries you mentioned are part of Ireland. Tyrone is.

See the difference :)

My point was that Tyrone is within the jurisdiction of another National Association, just like e.g. Taunton, Tobermory or Trenton.

See the similarity? :rolleyes:

GavinZac
12/12/2007, 6:24 PM
My point was that Tyrone is within the jurisdiction of another National Association, just like e.g. Taunton, Tobermory or Trenton.

See the similarity? :rolleyes:could you not take up stamp collecting or something rather than spending your days policing the border in foot.ie?

co. down green
12/12/2007, 7:47 PM
My point was that Tyrone is within the jurisdiction of another National Association

A bit like Derry City :rolleyes:

tetsujin1979
12/12/2007, 8:35 PM
What jurisdiction Tyrone is under has little or nothing to do with Delaney's interview on RTE. Get back on topic.

CollegeTillIDie
13/12/2007, 6:13 AM
If the FAI/IFA joint cross border National Premier Division opens up in a few years. There might well be a joint FAI/IFA academy opening up in Tyrone and hopefully eventually an All-Ireland team jointly administered by the FAI and IFA. Football on this island has gone to the dogs since that FAI shower broke away from the IFA :D

EalingGreen
13/12/2007, 10:10 AM
What jurisdiction Tyrone is under has little or nothing to do with Delaney's interview on RTE. Get back on topic.

Er, this thread is about Delaney's Interview. According to Janeymac:
"He [Delaney] let the mask slip though, when talking about the new youth development/elite academy - something to the effect that we dont want to miss out on the young Peter Canavans, etc. etc, (played GAA for Tyrone for those of you who don't know!)"

I was merely pointing out that the IFA has jurisdiction over football development in Tyrone and if Delaney/FAI want good relations with the IFA - already strained enough over the eligibility row - he might care to remember that.

I don't think many people here comprehend the growing resentment felt by many in NI over what is perceived to be the FAI's attempts to ride two horses at once: co-operation with the IFA over some issues and encroachment over others. And for all that citing Canavan might just have been a slip of the tongue by JD, it typifies the triumphalist attitude of some in the Republic, who see Irish football as being the 26 counties plus one or two Northerners (and then only when it suits) :rolleyes:

If the FAI/IFA joint cross border National Premier Division opens up in a few years. There might well be a joint FAI/IFA academy opening up in Tyrone and hopefully eventually an All-Ireland team jointly administered by the FAI and IFA. Football on this island has gone to the dogs since that FAI shower broke away from the IFA :D

Perhaps you're not being serious, but if there was an all-Ireland League, an all-Ireland international team, plus joint academies etc, what would be the point of having two National Associations? :confused:

could you not take up stamp collecting or something rather than spending your days policing the border in foot.ie?

By your criteria, everyone on this Board better take up stamp collecting, since I am a football fan discussing my football team on a football forum. :eek:

If you don't like what I post, just ignore it. :rolleyes:

A bit like Derry City :rolleyes:

Derry City is an anomaly, like e.g. Cardiff City, Berwick Rangers, AS Monaco, FC Toronto etc.

As such, it has little or no relevance to the principle that the IFA has footballing jurisdiction over NI and the FAI over ROI.

RogerMilla
13/12/2007, 10:31 AM
As such, it has little or no relevance to the principle that the IFA has footballing jurisdiction over NI and the FAI over ROI.

currently the IFA has footballing jurisdiction over NI but the FAI are entitled to recruit players from there.

EalingGreen
13/12/2007, 10:41 AM
currently the IFA has footballing jurisdiction over NI but the FAI are entitled to recruit players from there.

"Recruit"? The FAI is entitled to select players from NI for its international teams, provided they meet FIFA's eligibility criteria. Then again, they are entitled to select players from anywhere else in the world on that basis (and frequently do!).

That is a hell of a sight different from setting up youth academies in territory which is under the footballing jurisdiction of another Association. Can you imagine the outcry e.g. from the FFA if the Algerian FA or Cameroon FA started setting up academies in France, targeting 2nd generation Immigrants and encroaching on their authority to develop the game in France?

RogerMilla
13/12/2007, 10:45 AM
The turkish FA are targetting the German born turkish population and have recruited quite a few players to their ranks. It's the way of the world EG. I think the FAI would be unable to set up an academy under their own auspices in northern ireland but no doubt there is a network of IFA accredited clubs who keep them posted as to player eligibility and interest just like the turkish community in Germany.

co. down green
13/12/2007, 10:47 AM
I don't think many people here comprehend the growing resentment felt by many in NI over what is perceived to be the FAI's attempts to ride two horses at once: co-operation with the IFA over some issues and encroachment over others.

And a large proportion of the population in the North are very happy to support the principle of Players having the right to play for Ireland, if they wish.

Lets face it, a Unionist motion supporting the IFA's stance on the eligibility issue failed to get a single Nationalist vote in support at Stormont on Tuesday. So it would be fair enough to say that over 40% of the population are quite happy with FIFA's present policy of allowing players from the North to play for Ireland.

ifk101
13/12/2007, 10:50 AM
I don't think many people here comprehend the growing resentment felt by many in NI over what is perceived to be the FAI's attempts to ride two horses at once: co-operation with the IFA over some issues and encroachment over others. And for all that citing Canavan might just have been a slip of the tongue by JD, it typifies the triumphalist attitude of some in the Republic, who see Irish football as being the 26 counties plus one or two Northerners (and then only when it suits) :rolleyes:

a slip of the tongue = the triumphalist attitude of some in the Republic .... :rolleyes:
talk about nitpicking ..... :rolleyes:

geysir
13/12/2007, 10:57 AM
The scab of deep resentments are ever itching.

There are no plans (yet) by the FAI to open up a regional development centre inside the 6 counties.
The proposed regional development centres are strategically placed around the Republic.

EalingGreen
13/12/2007, 11:50 AM
And a large proportion of the population in the North are very happy to support the principle of Players having the right to play for Ireland, if they wish.

Lets face it, a Unionist motion supporting the IFA's stance on the eligibility issue failed to get a single Nationalist vote in support at Stormont on Tuesday. So it would be fair enough to say that over 40% of the population are quite happy with FIFA's present policy of allowing players from the North to play for Ireland.

Nothing of what I posted contradicts what you have just written, so I don't quite understand your point. :confused:

EalingGreen
13/12/2007, 12:03 PM
a slip of the tongue = the triumphalist attitude of some in the Republic .... :rolleyes:
talk about nitpicking ..... :rolleyes:

To clarify, if JD's citation of a Tyrone man was a conscious one, then it shows a blatant disrespect for the separate jurisdiction and independence of another National Association (ironically one with which he otherwise wishes to co-operate).

On the other hand, if it was just a subconscious slip, it demonstrates the mindset behind such disrespect i.e. we don't even have to consider the sensibilities of others, we'll just take whoever we want, as it suits us.

How many times does it have to be said before certain people in the ROI (and some in NI, for that matter) will cotton on, that the IFA and NI team exists, with every bit as much a valid place in world football as the FAI/ROI. As such, we are not your "little brother", we are as legitimately Irish as you are and we are not going to go away anytime soon.

Get used to it.

EalingGreen
13/12/2007, 12:04 PM
There are no plans (yet) by the FAI to open up a regional development centre inside the 6 counties.
The proposed regional development centres are strategically placed around the Republic.

Fine.

RogerMilla
13/12/2007, 12:10 PM
How many times does it have to be said before certain people in the ROI (and some in NI, for that matter) will cotton on, that the IFA and NI team exists, with every bit as much a valid place in world football as the FAI/ROI. As such, we are not your "little brother", we are as legitimately Irish as you are and we are not going to go away anytime soon.

Get used to it.

Utter rubbish EG , everyone knows you exist and most people respect your right to do so, it's the right of people of nationalist persuasion who wish to declare for ROI that your association wishes to challenge the legitmacy of.
People from NI who wish to declare for ROI are not going to stop wanting to do so while you have the attitude you have towards their aspirations. The IFA need to see that that is what is effectively driving people into the arms of the FAI.

eekers
13/12/2007, 12:17 PM
The IFA need to see that that is what is effectively driving people into the arms of the FAI.

exactly. look at the whole neil lennon affair for instance

ifk101
13/12/2007, 12:25 PM
To clarify, if JD's citation of a Tyrone man was a conscious one, then it shows a blatant disrespect for the separate jurisdiction and independence of another National Association (ironically one with which he otherwise wishes to co-operate).

On the other hand, if it was just a subconscious slip, it demonstrates the mindset behind such disrespect i.e. we don't even have to consider the sensibilities of others, we'll just take whoever we want, as it suits us.

Get used to it.

A new low.

Are you having your period today?

GavinZac
13/12/2007, 12:32 PM
On the other hand, if it was just a subconscious slip, it demonstrates the mindset behind such disrespect i.e. we don't even have to consider the sensibilities of others, we'll just take whoever we want, as it suits us.You cannot be serious.

RogerMilla
13/12/2007, 12:36 PM
i wasnt talking about neil lennon , i was saying that if i was IFA eligible and was brought up supporting ROI then the IFA's efforts to stop me playing for the ROI would not be conducive to convincing me to throw in my lot with NI.

RogerMilla
13/12/2007, 12:38 PM
Fine.

monaghan would be a great spot for one i reckon...
or Muff.... :p

jmurphyc
13/12/2007, 12:43 PM
monaghan would be a great spot for one i reckon...
or Muff.... :p

FAI to set up a Muff Development Centre. Classic!

EalingGreen
13/12/2007, 12:54 PM
Utter rubbish EG , everyone knows you exist and most* people respect your right to do so

When certain people can't even bring themselves to get our name right, but persist in typing e.g "the North" or "Six Counties", when a simple NI would suffice, there remains a distinct lack of respect. Or when people persist with e.g. the notion that the present NI team's superior ranking over the ROI is some sort of illusionary or freak aberration, rather than a reflection of the simple fact that we currently have a better team.
Indeed, it is this lack of respect which lies behind the simplistic notion "Why can't there be an all-Ireland team?" which underlies so much of the debate, with the unspoken assumption that it would follow the absorption of the IFA into the FAI, with games played in Dublin, by teams comprising 10 Southerners and "maybe David Healy". People need to appreciate that any united [sic] team which ever comes about will never happen if it is merely the continuation of your team strengthened to a degree, with our team being abolished just to accommodate this.

it's the right of people of nationalist persuasion who wish to declare for ROI that your association wishes to challenge the legitmacy of.
People from NI who wish to declare for ROI are not going to stop wanting to do so while you have the attitude you have towards their aspirations. The IFA need to see that that is what is effectively driving people into the arms of the FAI.

If people of whatever political persuasion, from any part of Ireland, are eligible under FIFA's Rules to opt for the FAI, then I (and the IFA) say "Good Luck" to them, since even if they are also eligible for NI, there is nothing to be gained by our trying to press-gang unwilling recruits to the cause.
However, that is not what our Association is currently challenging. Rather, we are concerned that certain players who are undoubtedly eligible to represent NI are, for whatever reason, opting to represent another Association for whom they may not be eligible under the Rules.
No Association is ever going to stand idly by and see its player pool diminished in this way, especially one with so few players to draw upon in the first place.
The fact that it is the FAI, rather than, say, the English FA or any other, to whom we risk losing players is immaterial. If you were still around in 60 years time, and found that e.g. the Polish or Lithuanian FA was selecting 3rd Generation Irish youngsters with the relevant ancestry, but without the requisite "connection" under FIFA Rules, would you stand idly by? Would you b ollox!

* - Interesting use of the word "most", RM ;)

EalingGreen
13/12/2007, 12:59 PM
exactly. look at the whole neil lennon affair for instance

Would that be the same Neil Lennon who earlier this year sent a specially taped message to the IFA commending it for the work it is doing through "Football For All"? :rolleyes:

Anyway, why stop at Lennon? Why not Cromwell, or the Plantation of Ulster, or Strongbow? I'm sure they're all to blame in some way or another...:eek:

EalingGreen
13/12/2007, 1:00 PM
A new low.

Are you having your period today?

Thank you for that constructive and illuminating contribution to the debate, one of your best efforts yet... :rolleyes:

RogerMilla
13/12/2007, 1:03 PM
When certain people can't even bring themselves to get our name right, but persist in typing e.g "the North" or "Six Counties", when a simple NI would suffice, there remains a distinct lack of respect. Or when people persist with e.g. the notion that the present NI team's superior ranking over the ROI is some sort of illusionary or freak aberration, rather than a reflection of the simple fact that we currently have a better team

lack of respect in footballing terms but not in respect of your right to exist, we should be doing much better than you , hopefully a new manager will revitalise us.

jmurphyc
13/12/2007, 1:04 PM
When certain people can't even bring themselves to get our name right, but persist in typing e.g "the North" or "Six Counties", when a simple NI would suffice, there remains a distinct lack of respect.

I can understand your problem with the "Six Counties", but what's your problem with "the North"? It's much the same as us being called "the Republic" or "the South" which are both widely used. It's like saying the UK instead of the United Kingdom. Nitpicking as per usual.

RogerMilla
13/12/2007, 1:08 PM
If people of whatever political persuasion, from any part of Ireland, are eligible under FIFA's Rules to opt for the FAI, then I (and the IFA) say "Good Luck" to them, since even if they are also eligible for NI, there is nothing to be gained by our trying to press-gang unwilling recruits to the cause.
However, that is not what our Association is currently challenging. Rather, we are concerned that certain players who are undoubtedly eligible to represent NI are, for whatever reason, opting to represent another Association for whom they may not be eligible under the Rules.
No Association is ever going to stand idly by and see its player pool diminished in this way, especially one with so few players to draw upon in the first place.

Likewise if an association is not hindered by FIFA from picking players from outside its states legal jurisdiction then it would be in dereliction of its duty to create as big a player pool as possible if it did not pick those players.

RogerMilla
13/12/2007, 1:11 PM
* - Interesting use of the word "most", RM ;)

I said most because it's most , if i said all or few I would be a liar.

We are going round in circles here, sooner FIFA clear this up the better. Cue a couple of hundred posts from you railing at the injustice of it all and then we will all be able to move on ;)