PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arena

eekers
11/12/2007, 8:41 AM
somebody is going start this thread its inevitable because the story in the news today pointlessly.

story here http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2007/12/11/International-Arena-keen-on-Ireland/?facets/sport-space/great-britain-locale/

american soccerball coach wants a higher paid job than his last at red bull new york - hardly shocking

before anyone starts about his achievements in 2006, just imagine him trying to command the respect of the ireland dressing room :p non contentor in the mould of howard kendell.

gustavo
11/12/2007, 8:42 AM
before anyone starts about his achievements in 2006, just imagine him trying to command the respect of the ireland dressing room :p .

Why's that hard to imagine?

eekers
11/12/2007, 8:46 AM
well i can imagine him 'trying'

gustavo
11/12/2007, 8:51 AM
Ok i phrased that badly , Why do you think he shouldnt command respect ?

eekers
11/12/2007, 9:02 AM
well considering kerr didnt.
it would be the first time he managed outside the us. it wouldnt work. i dont think our lot would think they can learn anything from an american.
would any premiership club hire him?
he just too risky a proposition

gustavo
11/12/2007, 9:10 AM
well considering kerr didnt.
it would be the first time he managed outside the us. it wouldnt work. i dont think our lot would think they can learn anything from an american.
would any premiership club hire him?
he just too risky a proposition

A very insular attitude there really if that was to be the case :(

The man got the U.S to the Quarter finals of the WC , If they dont think they can learn from him because of his nationality thats a sad state of affairs

Deckydee
11/12/2007, 9:14 AM
hmm, he's wiki profile is not so bad:

Arena was hired by the U.S. national team to replace Steve Sampson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Sampson) as head coach in October 1998 following the team's disastrous showing in the 1998 FIFA World Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup). He forged the team into a successful international side, and is undisputedly the most successful coach in United States history: most international wins; longest home shut-out; best World Cup showing since 1930, reaching the quarterfinals at the 2002 World Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_World_Cup_2002), before a defeat against Germany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany_national_football_team); and all-time best international FIFA Ranking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Rankings) (4th place, April 2006). Arena also won two Gold Cup championships in 2002 and 2005, with a third place finish in 2003.

I dont see anything wrong with him!

irishfan86
11/12/2007, 9:20 AM
He'd be a good signing, definitely better than some suggested.

He's achieved success with the U.S., and RECENTLY.

It's just a matter of getting the players to buy into it, that would be the question.

Personally I'd definitely give him an interview if I was on the selection committee.

onephillyhughes
11/12/2007, 9:26 AM
Oh just imagine the fun had using American 'soccer' terms.

Hire him!!!!:D

Poor Student
11/12/2007, 11:10 AM
To the best of my knowledge he's a rigorous coach who favours a well organised system, I think that's exactly what our team needs. He's an outsider with a good level or international experience and he'd have no major problems adapting to language or culture. He'd hopefully not look for too large a salary compared to other candidates as he still doesn't have that high a profile in Europe.

RogerMilla
11/12/2007, 11:13 AM
could be a stepping stone to europe for him but i reckon he would have to stamp his authority on the players

Ireland4ever
11/12/2007, 11:38 AM
....longest home shut-out;

For the love of God please can we keep this man and his native terminology away from the Irish football team.

Call it snobbery or whetever you want but i dont want a yank in charge of the boys in green.

Sligo Hornet
11/12/2007, 11:48 AM
For the love of God please can we keep this man and his native terminology away from the Irish football team.

Call it snobbery or whetever you want but i dont want a yank in charge of the boys in green.

Good coach...maybe, but I am 100% in agreement about the terms used.

I was on a cruise in the Caribbean during the last World Cup watching England v Portugal (..hee hee ) when a couple of yanks walked up to me in the bar and asked "are we still in regulation time? ":mad: Then another guy asked "how many periods do they play?":mad:

gustavo
11/12/2007, 11:56 AM

:rolleyes:So they use different words for stuff over there , who cares ? They use different words in different languages too but I doubt many would turn away the likes of Capello and Lippi ,I couldnt care less what terms the manager uses as long as he was successful .

Ireland4ever
11/12/2007, 12:01 PM
So they use different words for stuff over there , who cares ? They use different words in different languages too but I doubt many would turn away the likes of Capello and Lippi ,I couldnt care less what terms the manager uses as long as he was successful .

Well we have been saying for a long while that the boys in green need a few new chants, with Bruce in charge what about

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE!!! :D

i can see it now

''Its at the bottom of the second and were into bonus time and bruce calls for a Time out'':D:D

gustavo
11/12/2007, 12:03 PM
Well we have been saying for a long while that the boys in green need a few new chants, with Bruce in charge what about

DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE!!! :D

i can see it now

''Its at the bottom of the second and were into bonus time and bruce calls for a Time out'':D:D

hilarious

ifk101
11/12/2007, 12:16 PM
Ah yes the 3-6-1 formation man :D

billybunter
11/12/2007, 12:41 PM
he has beaten the mxicans home and away over the last 4 years.The yanks shuld have beaten italy in the 2006 world cup, and he is a disciplinarian. He actually plays players in their natural positions, and to be honest, i would prefer him over most of the names I have seen.
Plus he would be hungry to do well - not just financially motivated.

strangeirish
11/12/2007, 12:46 PM
Lets go Ire-land.
Dee-fense. Pretty good coach though.

Jerry The Saint
11/12/2007, 2:22 PM
:rolleyes:So they use different words for stuff over there , who cares ? They use different words in different languages too but I doubt many would turn away the likes of Capello and Lippi ,I couldnt care less what terms the manager uses as long as he was successful .

I would hate to have someone like Lippi bringing his native terminology over here. I was on a yacht in the Seychelles recently and I heard a couple of Eye-Ties babbling on about "Calcio". I was disgusted beyond vomit. :mad:

It's been bad enough having Staunton drawling on in his Louth dialect for the last few years. Mr. Delaney, kindly find a candidate who will strictly adhere to the Queen's English.

Noelys Guitar
11/12/2007, 3:44 PM
The Glitter band played before games. Fans having fry ups outside of Croker. He is Italian-American (from Brooklyn) and knows his European football. No chance of getting the job.

John83
11/12/2007, 4:02 PM
Arena's a good coach. I'd like him to be Ireland manager.
Ditto.

Metrostars
11/12/2007, 8:42 PM
As someone who follows US soccer closely and as a fan of the NY Red Bulls who just fired him, I would not recommend his hiring. I do credit him in rescueing the US after the disasterous World Cup in 1998 and doing well to get to the quarters in 2002. Portugal simply did ot take the US seriously and Arena employed a Jack Charlton approach to that first 2002 WC game by chasing after every Portugal player on the field, closing them down and not giving them an inch to move. But a closer look also shows that the US was just minutes away from being knocked out in the first round when South Korea scored a late winnter to beat Portugal and send the US through who lost 3-1 to Poland. And of course they got the team they KNEW they could beat in the second round in Mexico. Actually the best game the US played in 2002 was the Germany quarter final game, in which they should have won if only Landycakes Donovan put away one of his two chances in the first half.

Really, Arena should have gone after 2002. By 2006, his ideas had become stale and the team started flat against the Czechs, improved against Italy (but finished with 9 men) and were perhaps unluckly with a dubious penalty given against them against Ghana. But his selections expecially in the first game were very much like some of Stans e.g. Eddie Lewis at full back, not putting Donovan in midfield, Beasley on the right to accomodate Convey on the left, over confidence in over the hill players like Eddie Pope and Claudio Reyna. Arena is also prone to playing his favorites e.g. at the Red Bulls, he seemed intent on only getting college players out of Virginia. Also if not for an ACL injury Chris Armas would have been playing in 2002 instead of Pablo Mastroeni who had a masterful game against Portugal.

His appointment as Head Coach of NY Red Bulls was greeted with much fanfare in the area. But his 1 year in charge was mediorcre at best, started out well when Juan Pablo Angel joined the team but his over reliance on his favourite Claudio Reyna who was either constantly injured/dogging it during games led to a middle of the table finish. In the playoffs, his lack luster team went out tamely to Steve Nicol's New England Revs, and indeed only when Reyna went off injured again, and Potbelly Clint Mathis replaced him did the team so any signs of life. Indeed his ho-hum attitude after the exit irked the most. A few days later he was given the boot.

eekers
11/12/2007, 9:48 PM
thankfully some sense has prevailed on this thread.
if he was a good enough coach he'd be coaching europe
he's not.

also in a few months the fai are gonna start selling the corporate boxes and premium seats for landsdowne road. bruce arena isnt gonna help sell any of those

Metrostars
11/12/2007, 11:20 PM
I'm not saying he's a terrible coach but I think he should try out maybe at Championship level first. I'd still take him over El Tel tnough.

tricky_colour
11/12/2007, 11:21 PM
Anyone know what the capacity of the Bruce Arena is?

danonion
11/12/2007, 11:54 PM

My old boy asked that a million times during the last world cup

eekers
11/12/2007, 11:55 PM

the Steve Bruce Arena in wigan (formally known as the JJB Stadium) has a capacity of 25,135

shelbourne1904
12/12/2007, 8:37 AM

As long as he doesnt use that great Irish word "Governor"

Metrostars
12/12/2007, 1:48 PM

Actually given the amount of weight he's put on recently, I'd day a couple of big macs, large fries and a large chocolate milk shake.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/images/upload/arena-bruce_6527.jpg

Cymro
12/12/2007, 5:32 PM
He did really well with the USA. One thing you can say is that he'd make your boys competitive on a physical level, at least.

carloz
12/12/2007, 5:59 PM
He did really well with the USA. One thing you can say is that he'd make your boys competitive on a physical level, at least.

Which is a thing we badly need to imrove on. i mean Cyprus were nearly bullying us they were that much more physical than us

TonyD
12/12/2007, 8:43 PM
Mr. Delaney, kindly find a candidate who will strictly adhere to the Queen's English.

So, that's El Tel out of the reckoning then :D

Paddy Garcia
12/12/2007, 9:05 PM
Good coach...maybe, but I am 100% in agreement about the terms used.

I was on a cruise in the Caribbean during the last World Cup watching England v Portugal (..hee hee ) when a couple of yanks walked up to me in the bar and asked "are we still in regulation time? ":mad: Then another guy asked "how many periods do they play?":mad:

So what? If that upsets you then you can't have much to worry about.

Reminds me of a couple of guys in England shirts in a bar in Daytona Beach in 1994.

The USA were playing & they were cheering like mad for their opponents (can't recall who). "Listen wot dey call it, dey bleedin roon r bootful gaime"

To be fair to the Yanks, they could not give a toss, raised an eyebrow as if to say couple of strange guys hey.

stojkovic
12/12/2007, 9:10 PM
Which is a thing we badly need to imrove on. i mean Cyprus were nearly bullying us they were that much more physical than us

So how much bulking up can be done in the five days he will have them for before a match ?

Utterly ridiculous.

GavinZac
12/12/2007, 9:12 PM
So how much bulking up can be done in the five days he will have them for before a match ?

Utterly ridiculous.

Its not about bulking them up, its about getting them to put themselves about more.

Cymro
12/12/2007, 9:13 PM
Competing on a physical level is about more than just size. It's just getting them motivated enough to actually chase down the opposition.

stojkovic
12/12/2007, 9:42 PM
Competing on a physical level is about more than just size. It's just getting them motivated enough to actually chase down the opposition.

I agree but the word used previously was 'bullying' which implies physicality (ie size).

Fergie's Son
13/12/2007, 5:39 AM

Arena has been involved in football all of his life. He gets the terminology. Not saying he would be a good hire but to suggest he would use "America terms" is, at best, pig ignorant.

CollegeTillIDie
13/12/2007, 6:21 AM

Like the previous Irishman in the job was soooo much better?:rolleyes: Bruce Arena's track record is excellent and our inability to keep '' shut-outs'' against Cyprus home and Away, Slovakia away, and Wales away did for our qualification hopes last time out.
But if you're so insistent on banning North American's from the gig out in Abbotstown here's a genuinely better alternative.
Fabio Capello is getting the English job,let's appoint Lippi NOW! I believe he is at least 10% a better coach than Capello and I have total respect for the latter's record in case people don't understand where I am coming from with this.

CollegeTillIDie
13/12/2007, 7:33 AM
I would hate to have someone like Lippi bringing his native terminology over here. I was on a yacht in the Seychelles recently and I heard a couple of Eye-Ties babbling on about "Calcio". I was disgusted beyond vomit. :mad:

It's been bad enough having Staunton drawling on in his Louth dialect for the last few years. Mr. Delaney, kindly find a candidate who will strictly adhere to the Queen's English.

That rules out Irish speakers then... BIGOT!:D Didn't Stan bamboozle you?
There aren't very many decent English speaking candidates available to be honest.
The list touted here consists largely of has beens and never wases.

eekers
13/12/2007, 12:08 PM
the guy had one good world cup
why was he sacked though?

1 point in the group stages in 2006
a world cup qualifying campaign where they drew with panama, guatemala, jamaica twice and lost to costa ricaoh and

Its not about bulking them up, its about getting them to put themselves about more

thats coaching gold! like something shearer would say on bbc

Metrostars
13/12/2007, 5:46 PM

a world cup qualifying campaign where they drew with panama, guatemala, jamaica twice and lost to costa ricaoh and

TBH, it is not so easy to win IN central america. Home field advantage IS a big factor in countries like Honduras, Panama, Guatemala etc. Plus Costa Rica away was after the USA qualified and cr HAD to win to get in. Also, US finished top in CONCACAF qualifying so I would hardly call that a failure.

shakermaker1982
13/12/2007, 6:30 PM
flying headed volleys.......yes please :)

stojkovic
13/12/2007, 9:38 PM
There aren't very many decent English speaking candidates available to be honest.

Yes there are.
They're all Dutch though.;)

Ireland4ever
14/12/2007, 9:02 AM
Like the previous Irishman in the job was soooo much better?:rolleyes: Bruce Arena's track record is excellent and our inability to keep '' shut-outs'' against Cyprus home and Away, Slovakia away, and Wales away did for our qualification hopes last time out.
But if you're so insistent on banning North American's from the gig out in Abbotstown here's a genuinely better alternative.
Fabio Capello is getting the English job,let's appoint Lippi NOW! I believe he is at least 10% a better coach than Capello and I have total respect for the latter's record in case people don't understand where I am coming from with this.

Theres not a chance Lippi would come to us! Need to be realistic about this.

gustavo
14/12/2007, 9:05 AM
Theres not a chance Lippi would come to us! Need to be realistic about this.

Can at least approach him so that you know for sure if he wants it or not

Ireland4ever
14/12/2007, 9:12 AM
Can at least approach him so that you know for sure if he wants it or not

I think it would be absolutely pointless and a waste of time approaching him. The current world cup winning manager is not gonna be interested in Ireland, unless we had a ridiculous amount of money to offer him(£4/5 million/year) even then i doubt he'd have any interest. We need to focus on more realistic targets and try and source out the one that'd suit us best.

billybunter
15/12/2007, 12:34 AM

1 point in the group stages in 2006

thats coaching gold! like something shearer would say on bbc

you may want to step off the oul high horse here. point taken about the 1 point in the group stages, but it was earned against the eventual winners - and they fucckkiing rattled Italy in that game. They were in the toughest group by far. as far as drawing with guatemala, jamaica, and losing to costa rica. Keep in mind they qualified, so you could see it as taking at least 3 points off those teams on the home and away schedule. I sometimes forget how brilliant we were against san marino, wales, cyprus........ I'm not saying he's the be-all / end all. but he should not be discounted on the feeling of anti-american sentiment.... he's a good coach.