PDA

View Full Version : Andy Lee/Jason Mckay

sliced pan
10/12/2007, 11:36 AM
Vacant Irish Super Middle title on the line this friday in the National Stadium. Defensive hard hitting unbeaten Andy Lee takes on Tough Technical Jason Mckay who's only defeat came as a controversial one after he knocked down Paul Buchanan it never got counted on the scorecards.
Andy Lee moves up from Middleweight while Jason Mckay moved down from Light Heavy. Should be a good one. Don't know if rte are showing it.

swano
10/12/2007, 12:20 PM
Think the fight is on saturday.

paul_oshea
10/12/2007, 12:21 PM
i was just wondering where he had gone to on saturday and did a google on him. they seem to be expecting big things from him in america. check out his last one under duddy i think, lovely punch;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2bPJQcDyu0&feature=related

check out the left upper v salway too.

He seems to have a great upper cut both left and right. he hasn't really been tested yet though.

sliced pan
10/12/2007, 12:47 PM
Yeah sorry its on Saturday

jebus
10/12/2007, 7:44 PM
Was half thinking of going down on Saturday and getting myself a gallery ticket. Lee is the buisness as far as I'm concerned, good fighter, intelligent when on the attack and more importantly (are you listening Dunne?) he is able to defend himself and counter punch

paul_oshea
10/12/2007, 8:04 PM
ya great counter puncher, and letting someone show and then bang - well from the little ive seen of him.

Dodge
10/12/2007, 9:18 PM
Most of his fights are on youtube. Lee is the best chance we have of a genuine world champion

bennocelt
11/12/2007, 7:49 AM
Was half thinking of going down on Saturday and getting myself a gallery ticket. Lee is the buisness as far as I'm concerned, good fighter, intelligent when on the attack and more importantly (are you listening Dunne?) he is able to defend himself and counter punch

yeah def agree, Lee is the one irish fighter that I actually think has a good chance to win a world belt

PLEASE TELL ME THIS FIGHT IS ON RTE!!

sliced pan
11/12/2007, 8:37 AM
I seen an advertisement for it last night on rte 2 its on, everybody is talkin about Lee, Mckay is no pushover he has shown he is as technical as Lee not as defensive but well able to take a hit and can be exciting to watch. He has also beaten Duddy in amateur I know amateur is completely different from Pro.

joeSoap
11/12/2007, 9:30 AM
Lee is quite tall for a middleweight, and has a great reach. Defensively he's sound, and is becoming more confident in his own ability to put guys away.

He's certainly got talent. Whether it can extend to true world class is another thing, but I truly hope so.

paul_oshea
11/12/2007, 9:38 AM
Most of his fights are on youtube. Lee is the best chance we have of a genuine world champion

Ya, ive seen them, but there isn't much of it, only the best bits, and ye cant really make out how good a fighter is with the short clips.

Btw, I think you are right, I hope he doesnt move up to cruiserweight or anything like that when he gets older though. A fight in a couple of years or so time against kessler or even bute would be good to see.

sliced pan
11/12/2007, 11:28 AM
I have seen them both fight amateur and Pro, I think Lee is a great prospect but he is boring to technically defensive(im just saying his style usually isn't great to watch) but also can give us some KO's(which are good to watch) and he only has one inch over Mckay also Mckay should be heavier coming down from Light Heavy I can see this maybe goin the distance in the favour of the smarter boxer Lee.

Andy Lee 23 6'2 record 13(10)/0/0
Jason Mckay 30 6'1 record 18(5)/1/0
From Box Rec which isn't always reliable.

paul_oshea
11/12/2007, 11:49 AM
btw boxrec wont recognise Duddy as Irish sliced pan.

sliced pan
11/12/2007, 12:18 PM
Backstards. well until he looses(hopefully never) im sure then he'll be recognised as Irish

Dodge
11/12/2007, 12:32 PM
btw boxrec wont recognise Duddy as Irish sliced pan.

And will ban anybody who brings it up on their forum. Despite letters from Duddy's management to change it. Disgraceful stuff from the owner

passinginterest
15/12/2007, 9:50 PM
Well what's the verdict?
Impressive I though.
Put on a bit more of a show. Wasn't impressed that they said he had no heart anyway. I think I actually walked past Lee on the street the other day.
A bit worrying that he got cut above the eye. Occupational hazard I suppose. Didn't seem to bleed too much anyway.

Monkfish
16/12/2007, 11:10 AM
Yeah hopefully he doesn't get the Bernard Dunne bandwagon behind him just yet (i can imagine the limerick leader on monday:rolleyes:), seems to be heading in the right direction but defo needs another couple of years. Should be great if they can get a fight for him here in Limerick. Thomond Park maybe?
Everyone else reckon himself and Duddy will be kept apart for a while like the lads on rte were saying?

sliced pan
17/12/2007, 9:30 AM
Yeah I was very impressed by Lee he was entertaining, he forced Mckay to come out of his shell and open up and you could see Mckay was feeling every punch, I thought Mckay had him rattled in the 4th the round after Lee's eye cut but Lee bounced back at the end of it the only round I would have scored to Mckay. I thought Mckay would have kept goin for the pride to finish.

paul_oshea
17/12/2007, 10:53 AM
he seemed to be doing a bit of showboating, his defence is quite poor, the old martial art of turning your body sideways.....keeps his hands down by his side too often to be honest and is too direct. The one good thing going for him is his reach.

he is definitely a couple of years short of a title shot. though someone said to me on saturday that he was going to be fighting pavlik next year. I cant believe that to be honest. I think in the longer run he would be better staying in super-middleweight.

Dodge
17/12/2007, 10:59 AM
he is definitely a couple of years short of a title shot. though someone said to me on saturday that he was going to be fighting pavlik next year. I cant believe that to be honest. I think in the longer run he would be better staying in super-middleweight.

Emmanuel Stewardsaid Lee's better than Pavlik. He also said Lee's a couple of years away from a title fight. Duddy is being lined up for Pavlik.

Lee's a good deal better than Duddy

paul_oshea
17/12/2007, 1:17 PM
Emmanuel Stewardsaid Lee's better than Pavlik. He also said Lee's a couple of years away from a title fight. Duddy is being lined up for Pavlik.

Maybe, i prolly dont know enough about boxing to be fair, but i think he is too direct, walks straight in most of the time. But pavlik does too really,nothing special about him except he is able to take a serious beating and still continue on, plus he has the power to match it. Duddy is definitely not as good, but Duddy wont win a title either. I think Duddy should go for taylor first. Then if I were lee I would try to get taylor after that.

Whoever told me that was obviously chatting then, but im sure they mentioned a name as a reference - i just cant remember the name due to being so inebriated later on that night that I cant remember events when i was sober during the night :D

Oh ya it was steward, http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/other-sports/article3247918.ece he said it after the fight as well.

centre mid
17/12/2007, 2:18 PM

Bang on there Dodge, Lee looks to have some class about him, I think the cut he got was from a clash of heads. McKay was split open at the same time.

Soko
24/12/2007, 9:12 PM
Duddy is vastly overrated. His only attribute is his huge NY following

Lee has a bit about him though. Hopefully he can make good on his potential