Sonic
07/12/2007, 5:24 PM
Its official now Matthews is gone:(:(

Tallanted
07/12/2007, 5:34 PM
yep just heard, we have one player under contract, we are screwed

sligoman
07/12/2007, 5:35 PM
yep just heard, we have one player under contract, we are screwedWho's the contracted player? I'm guessing Wexler for obvious reasons?

Keen2win
07/12/2007, 5:36 PM
But apparently we have a very good budget. Sad news. Tony G was disappointed:(:(:(

De Town
07/12/2007, 5:45 PM
feck...:(

Tallanted
07/12/2007, 5:47 PM
Daire Doyle is the player

De Town
07/12/2007, 5:47 PM
Daire Doyle is the player

not a bad base i suppose. will be good in the first division.

niallsparky
07/12/2007, 5:48 PM
Do you have a source for this?

Sonic
07/12/2007, 5:52 PM
No official but i think the vice chairman telling me is good enough.

RonnieB
07/12/2007, 5:53 PM
Vinny vinny vinny...

RockofGibraltar
07/12/2007, 6:01 PM
its all on shannonside

Rocky77
07/12/2007, 6:25 PM
Thanks for eveything Alan. Unblievable loyalty, unbelievable glory, unbelievably service. Proper Town legend. I hope something will be done by the club, the county council and the town itself to honor him.

De Town
07/12/2007, 6:26 PM
Yup, true Legend and Hero. Thanks for everything Alan.

Xlex
07/12/2007, 6:46 PM
Gutted, I was always a fan. I really don't think we'll strike gold third time out with a new manager.

Above all, I'd like to thank Alan Matthews for his unwavering honesty and loyalty through-out his time with us, especially during this past nine months or so. To be fair, he was probably assured of budgets and all and sundry, but what was it worth given this season's turmoil and the fact that we never had enough done to get a straight license in three years.

I think it is going to be very hard to gain promotion now. Rabbits out of hats time....

spaceghost
07/12/2007, 6:48 PM
sad news if its true.thanks alan for so many good times, which far outweighed the bad.
he could have walked away long ago ,but stuck it out and fought with his players to the bitter end.for that and the fantastic cup wins he'll always be a town legend... THE town legend in fact
.whos next?

dark times ahead:(

Maz
07/12/2007, 7:24 PM
All we can do is thank the man for the memories. I respect his decision and wish him all the best wherever he goes

hyundaidriver
07/12/2007, 7:46 PM
Just to repeat all positive things said above about Mathews... even more worried for the future now... but surely things can't get much worse.

RonnieB
07/12/2007, 7:53 PM
but surely things can't get much worse.

I wouldnt be so sure :)

Sonic
07/12/2007, 8:59 PM
I was never his greatest fan but the level of dedication commitment time and most importantly THIS season in particular Loyalty he showed to this club was over and beyond the call of duty so Respect to him for that!

Oh by the way give Trevor the nod and Vinny as assistant!

Cabs88
07/12/2007, 9:57 PM
Vinny vinny vinny...

stephen, stephen, stephen ;)

In fairness to matthews, he has shown brilliant loyalty to this club, and that must be commended for that. Personally never liked him, thought he was tactically inept, played too narrow minded and defensively up to the end of this season and had nowhere near the same charisma/rapport with the fans that he should have.

So the search begins for a new manager. Vinny should be a contender, afaik he has started on his coaching badges, and is well regarded in longford. Stephen Kelly might be another one that might enter the equation, and perhaps Trevor Crolly. **** it, might dust down the auld C.V myself, and Bosco as my assistant ;)

Keen2win
08/12/2007, 9:56 AM
Dont think Stephen will be coming back:(

Sonic
08/12/2007, 10:37 AM
Dont think Stephen will be coming back:(

Hardly. Its been a season of dreaming so youd never know:D

Pauro 76
08/12/2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah id like to add my sentiments. Thank you Alan for the cup wins, keeping us on the map and his dignity throughout the season when he could have just slagged off the board.

Martinho II
08/12/2007, 11:51 AM
gutted that alan has gone. he deserves massive respect for stayin put even when we had those six points deducted!! i always got well with alan and wish all the best in his next job!! he was excellent in his five years with us we will probably never win any trophies again. he was a miracle worker and always seemed to get in any decent signings. in the daily mail article written by rocky (is that ok to say rocky?) five cvs were received by five o clock yesterday...two of them are highly qualified with a pro licence.

just got a text from alan matthews:

thanks marty i am very sad to be going. the club has being a big part of my life over the past six seasons. I very much appreciate your support along with the section o crew.I could do no more and I am delighted that we gave the fans some good memories over the years. thanks for your text again very much appreciated talk to you again alan.

If any of ye lads want alan matthews mob no to text him, send me a pm or send me a text by phone.

ltfc_2004
08/12/2007, 3:43 PM
fair play to Alan, he worked wonders at the club. I wasn't always his biggest fan over some of the football we played when we had decent players who actually pass the ball.

as for a new manager i would have grave reservations about Vinny as he has only started his badges, Stan was a legend for Ireland fcuking ****e as manager. Let people apply and see what happens. I think Trevor Crolly would not be a bad choice.

Remember feck all people had heard of Stephen Kenny when he got the job so maybe some young hungry manager comes forward.

Sonic
08/12/2007, 4:39 PM
fair play to Alan, he worked wonders at the club. I wasn't always his biggest fan over some of the football we played when we had decent players who actually pass the ball.

as for a new manager i would have grave reservations about Vinny as he has only started his badges, Stan was a legend for Ireland fcuking ****e as manager. Let people apply and see what happens. I think Trevor Crolly would not be a bad choice.

Remember feck all people had heard of Stephen Kenny when he got the job so maybe some young hungry manager comes forward.

Thats just it. Trevor seems to have changed to a large extent Matthews defensive mentality and it beared fruit with the amount of goals Mooney got all season. I agree on the reservations of bringing in Vinny as untested but there is no doubt he would have the heart for it. I would have no reservations about employing trevor as manager and maybe vinny as his assistant! Its a decision we must get right!!

max power
08/12/2007, 5:27 PM

and the difference between the two are ??? Maybe Crolly and Vinny together might be good ( as mentioned before)

ltfc_2004
08/12/2007, 6:50 PM
stephen kenny had been St Pats under 21 manager and also manager of Tallaght Town, he had experience

feo123
08/12/2007, 7:13 PM
will be a loss to the club and wont be easily replaced, but longford would be a club that would interest a lot of managers im sure, even though they're in the first division its a good enough club with a lovely ground, and ye may have a decent budget for next season. will he look to manage another club?

Martinho II
09/12/2007, 1:27 PM
will be a loss to the club and wont be easily replaced, but longford would be a club that would interest a lot of managers im sure, even though they're in the first division its a good enough club with a lovely ground, and ye may have a decent budget for next season. will he look to manage another club?

tbh feo im expectin him to give up his banking career and go fulltime with one of the big clubs... thats what one of the tabloids yesterday reckoned....

Sonic
09/12/2007, 2:37 PM
tbh feo im expectin him to give up his banking career and go fulltime with one of the big clubs... thats what one of the tabloids yesterday reckoned....

Dont believe what you hear in tabloids. I sincerly doubt he will give up his banking job for football management. He will do both Id imagine!

Keen2win
09/12/2007, 4:12 PM
Does anyone have any idea who has applied for the job?

Sonic
09/12/2007, 5:24 PM
Daily mail said 5 people 2 with pro licences who I cant fathom who theyd be. It went onto say that Vinny perth was fans favourite to take the reins and that he is keen on the job so I guess he is one of the 5!!? He be a popular choice but whether he is the rigth choice is another thing altogteher!

Nipper
09/12/2007, 8:16 PM
Marty, hold off on lashing Alan Mathews' mobile number around the net in fairness!

I heard two names mentioned...one is very obvious, was with the club before...the other was managing our purple friends in the west a few years ago.

Macy
10/12/2007, 7:31 AM
The only Town manager to deliver senior trophies (3 of them) and the manager that delivered our highest ever league finishes. A great manager (still it seems) vastly underated by a significant portion of the Town support. I think we'll look back on the "Matthews years" as the hey day for the club.

The football could've been better at times, but I don't think it was as bad as people made out either. He could've perhaps brought through a few more local players (Adrian Murphy springs to mind), but overall you cannot argue with his record.

As for the man, always an absolute gent when I was talking to him. As with the football, maybe suffered an unfair comparison to previous incumbents who were better politicians. Given the criticism he has recieved in the past, he would've been within his rights to walk long before this season, but especially after the points deduction debacle (for a while he was damned if he did, damned if he didn't). Now is probably the right time as he's eveyone basically appreciative of his efforts and loyalty and will rightly go down as a Legend.

Thanks for the efforts Alan, and thanks for the memories.

Pauro 76
10/12/2007, 9:06 AM
We'll be very lucky to have a manager of his stature working for us again. As for the whole 'he doesnt click with the fans' thing. Who cares? Success and trophies are where it's at. Mathews has supplied us with plenty of the latter. 3 trophies lads. For a club our size, he should be made Freeman of the Town!

Martinho II
10/12/2007, 7:03 PM
Marty, hold off on lashing Alan Mathews' mobile number around the net in fairness!

I heard two names mentioned...one is very obvious, was with the club before...the other was managing our purple friends in the west a few years ago.

tbh nipper only one person off this website has asked for matthews mob no so theres no fear of this happening!!!

DmanDmythDledge
12/12/2007, 3:01 PM
Just heard on RTÉ radio that Rico has rumoured to have been approached by Longford.

Sonic
12/12/2007, 3:20 PM
Todays mirror says Aaron Callaghan and Vinny Perth are in pole position to be named as manager. Whoever it is I hope they make an appontment sooner rahter than later. Robbie Martin gone to Dundalk. Even the poor players are leaving:(

Martinho II
12/12/2007, 5:30 PM
Just heard on RTÉ radio that Rico has rumoured to have been approached by Longford.

bit surprised that rico would be linked with us....

micls
12/12/2007, 5:34 PM
bit surprised that rico would be linked with us....

They probably got confused with the Matthews being linked to us rumour :rolleyes:

Martinho II
12/12/2007, 5:42 PM
Todays mirror says Aaron Callaghan and Vinny Perth are in pole position to be named as manager. Whoever it is I hope they make an appontment sooner rahter than later. Robbie Martin gone to Dundalk. Even the poor players are leaving:(

it makes sense aaron being linked considering the qualifications he has... he managed with ards in the north when they won the championship ten years ago, coach at dundalk, spent some happy times with us and managed athlone. athlones the only blot on his copybook....

think callaghan perth would be excellent myself... expains jim hanleys comments about two well qualified people applying for the job.. we know one now whos the other I ask??

Martinho II
12/12/2007, 5:43 PM
They probably got confused with the Matthews being linked to us rumour :rolleyes:

i would say so too... rico doesnt need the hassle after all the hassle we gave him over the years...;)

RonnieB
12/12/2007, 5:44 PM
Oh god the thought of that horrible little man being anywhere near the flansiro.

Maz
12/12/2007, 5:44 PM
Vinny is not qualified, no managerial experience or badges. Got himself in some trouble couple of months ago contacting clubs etc and club were not happy as far as I know

Bosco
12/12/2007, 6:08 PM
Heard from a reliable enough source that matthews as good as has the cork job and may be bringing prunty with him...

Martinho II
12/12/2007, 6:15 PM
mooney could be going as well too..... matthews must be quiting his bank job surely???

Martinho II
12/12/2007, 6:16 PM
it makes sense aaron being linked considering the qualifications he has... he managed with ards in the north when they won the championship ten years ago, coach at dundalk, spent some happy times with us and managed athlone. athlones the only blot on his copybook....

think callaghan perth would be excellent myself... expains jim hanleys comments about two well qualified people applying for the job.. we know one now whos the other I ask??

apologies aaaron didnt manage ards it was crusaderss....:o

sligoman
12/12/2007, 6:18 PM
mooney could be going as well too:eek::eek: breaking news story of the year:p
matthews must be quiting his bank job surely???Can't see Cork wanting a part-time manager with a full-time team so he'd have to really, big risk he's taking leaving a comfortable job but maybe he's allowed take a "career break" for a while I suppose so he can see how it works out.

Quite ironic if he goes to Cork after most of their fans here used to always complain about his longball tactics.

Macy
12/12/2007, 7:54 PM
matthews must be quiting his bank job surely???
There was talk a couple of years ago that he was approaching time served enough to go early... Could well have been just talk, and the career break could be the way it's gone.

A small crumb of comfort if he goes to Cork, considering their constant criticism of his style of play, how it was his types holding the league back etc etc. :D