PDA

View Full Version : TV Viewing Figures for 2008 season

pete
07/12/2007, 2:02 PM
With saturation eL tv coverage (more live games than ever before) seems to be big slump in viewing figures.

The FAI Cup Final did make RTE 2 top 20 but only 104k viewers. Disappointing numbers & not isolated as seems no other RTE game got even 100k. TG4 figures 25-35k although regularly in top 10 Irish language programs.

I know it was once off exception event but seems long time since title decider 2 years ago drew in 300k+ peak viewers.

TV Figures (http://www.medialive.ie/Television/top-tw.html)

MyTown
07/12/2007, 2:06 PM
I can't open your link Pete unfortunately.

The rumours down our way are that RTE and the Eircom League are finalising a deal for next season with a live game EVERY week.

TheBoss
07/12/2007, 2:18 PM
I think the reason might have been the Tottenham v Birmingham City cause that was on at the same time virtually and I think that most Irish people would have watched that instead.

Philly
07/12/2007, 3:01 PM
In all fairness it was a pretty unenjoyable game, not one for the neutrals.

Theskinloyal
07/12/2007, 3:17 PM
It was a pretty shocking game for the neutrals and it wouldn't have done the league any favours in terms of winning over new fans. It was unusual because our cup finals generally are cracking. Aside from the L'pool v West Ham final in 2006 FAI Cup Finals are much better and more exciting then FA Cup finals.

Every FA Cup final has been instantly forgettable, bar 2006, over the past 15 yrs. Special mentions must go to any final where Man Yoo or Chelsea are playing for being by far the most boring games in the world.

I wonder how many people watched the cup final in 2006 which was one of the best games I've ever seen.

el punter
07/12/2007, 3:23 PM
I dont think the quality of the game has a bearing on the figures. People have no way of knowing whether its a good or bad game till the game is almost over. Suggesting more people watched the 2006 final than the 2007 final because it was a better game doesn't really hold any water.

The figures are a clear indication of the lack of interest in the live games generally. I'd be surprised if the level of coverage from last season continues.

Its a sad day when more Irish people are interested in Spurs v Birmingham than the FAI Cup Final.

pete, any idea how the LOI games on TG4 fare against some of the lesser GAA they show such as Ladies Gaelic Football, Underage games and club matches?

gilberto_eire
07/12/2007, 3:35 PM
sure in fairness who would be watching games on a friday night in general??

....all EL fans would be at there own clubs games(exception when playing away for non-travelling fans), then you'd have the general male been out on the beer for the night

Games are never going to get great figures been shown on a friday night....

in the long term i think a move to saturday evening 5/6 would be better, get more barstoolers involved and more likely to get down to see there local team!

id say most pubs would show the games if there were on at 5/6(if not classing with ''bigger'' games'' as it is you go into a pub on a friday night at 8 not a hope in hell are they going to be showing the game(if your lucky you might get one telly with no sound)

Sniffer
07/12/2007, 4:04 PM
I blogged about this before; these saturation coverage live games do our 'product' no favours.We need a handful of handpicked games in handpicked venues to present the league in the best possible light, a la Sky's coverage of the IPL. No mark games in shabby venues - devil's advocate here - attract nobody.

Green&whitearmy
07/12/2007, 4:39 PM
I have heard that setanta are going to be making a bid and pumping alot of money into it, not sure how much but there coverage has been getting better over the last few years since they started.

pete
07/12/2007, 5:21 PM
pete, any idea how the LOI games on TG4 fare against some of the lesser GAA they show such as Ladies Gaelic Football, Underage games and club matches?

If I can remember correctly eL games make the top 10 on TG4 probably more than half the time, no higher than 7th. Highest I checked 48k for Pats v Drogs.

I can't remember the ladies GAA figures but off the top of my head I think well ahead of eL up towards 100k & 150k+ for finals.

It might be harsh to some teams but there are grounds that should never show live games from. No need to mention them as we all know them. I expect the FAI to start promoting the league via the media now & not just selling live coverage 10k (bargain even at this years modest tv figures) a game. That was supposed to be a big selling point of the FAI League.

Jofspring
07/12/2007, 9:21 PM
the problem is the majority of eircom league games they televise are on at the same time as other eircom league matchs so most fans will be out watching their own eircom league team they support instead of watching other teams. if they are televising a game they should show it at a time when there isn't other eircom league games on. have on a saturday afternoon or sunday maybe, i know it would clash with premiership matchs but seens as rte aren't showing premiership matchs during the day they should be able to slot some eircom league games in there. i know i'd watch an eircom league match on a saturday or sunday if it is on the box. i ususally miss televised matchs cause like most people with any interest in irish soccer i am out watching my own team.

DaveyCakes
07/12/2007, 9:30 PM
I wonder would Sunday evening televised matches be worth a try...There is the traveling downside of course, so maybe derby matches.

harpstilidie
07/12/2007, 9:32 PM
Televised games shouldn't be on the same night as all the other games because everyone is at their respective games. As someone said below they should be moved to maybe a saturday evening or maybe even sundays around 2ish?? I'd definitely watch it if i had no harps game to go to. And another thing is Eircom League Weekly. We should all sent them an email highlighting the fact that we want it moved to an earlier time because it is on far too late. Even if they put it on at 10pm or 10.30pm. Mini-rant over! :D

AnnaghRed
07/12/2007, 11:45 PM
Dunno if terrestrial viewers in the six counties are figured in or not, but i rarely missed a match on RTE/TnAG

The standard of football in the south may be higher, as are attendances overall, but theres little doubt that the biggest match on the island is Linfield v Glentoran

I know Cork and Derry have no serious regional rivals but did any of the Dublin derbies even top 4000?

sonofstan
08/12/2007, 12:59 PM
I know Cork and Derry have no serious regional rivals but did any of the Dublin derbies even top 4000?

Think 2 out of 3 Bohs/ Rovers games this year did

Dazzy
08/12/2007, 5:00 PM

NW derby.

niallsparky
08/12/2007, 5:38 PM
Think 2 out of 3 Bohs/ Rovers games this year did

Bohs/Rovers played each other 3 times this year. Which game didn't top 4000?

pete
09/12/2007, 5:20 PM
GAA dominates the summer which eliminates Saturday evenings & Sunday afternoons.

Monday night is probably best for Dublin derbies. eL grounds look better under lights.

Erstwhile Bóz
09/12/2007, 7:27 PM
Bohs/Rovers played each other 3 times this year. Which game didn't top 4000?
Four times, shirley? The games at Dalymount were less than 4k.

I think the last match was woefully attended as well.

Sam_Heggy
09/12/2007, 7:44 PM

North west Derby with Harps and Derry and Im pretty sure the Cork - Cobh games will be considered serious in those parts too.

DmanDmythDledge
09/12/2007, 10:42 PM
Monday night is probably best for Dublin derbies. eL grounds look better under lights.
What's wrong with Friday, as it is at the moment? Most games played on a Monday this season had a reduced attendence.

Dazzy
09/12/2007, 11:54 PM
Saturday night games with Televised ones on a Friday or vice-versa.

sliced pan
10/12/2007, 10:11 AM
Well it was good to see them show a match that didn't include an english team or Scottish team was very enjoyable, but it is a pity the cup final got a bad rating, its played at a stupid time of year i think its too cold miserable for a cup final.

Bomb Landsdowne
10/12/2007, 10:20 AM
The champions league games are shown at Prime time, so obviously would have a greater audience than an Fai Cup final played on a Sunday afternoon. Well i personally on a regular Sunday afternoon wouldnt be watching the telly but more than likely would be on a Tuesday/Wednesday evening.

But if the Fai Cup final was played on a Wednesday at 7.45 would it have recieved a greater audience than Barcelona v Lyon. Wouldnt be much of a difference in my opinion.

Jerry The Saint
10/12/2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.medialive.ie/Television/top-tw.html

I'm pointing this out because English soccer is usually used as the counter for the lack of interest in the Eircom league. Which isn't true, if England didn't exist fans would look to other leagues before the Eircom League.

I wouldn't waste my time watching inferior entertainment like Lyon vs. Barcelona. I've been a Toy Show fan since I was a little kid so obviously I'm delighted that we're back on top of the league.

pete
10/12/2007, 11:50 AM
Even allowing for the cost of having to provide footage themselves I suspect the FAI Cup Final considerably cheaper than CL games.

Even though tv figures were low I would also think RTE get lowest figures of the week on Sunday afternoon. If RTE put on reruns of Friends or similar on a week night between 7.30 & 10pm they would get same figures as CL.

BohDiddley
10/12/2007, 12:13 PM
GAA dominates the summer which eliminates Saturday evenings & Sunday afternoons.

Monday night is an absolute disaster, and we were hit with it several times during the season.
I'd rather no television (the money is derisory anyway) than being forced to switch from Friday.