PDA

View Full Version : Blue Christmas Lights Are Wrong

dahamsta
07/12/2007, 1:54 PM
There, I've said it.

MojoPin
07/12/2007, 2:00 PM
wasnt santa originally blue? although santa has got nothing got to do with the real christmas anyway therefore you could argue xmas lights are wrong altogether :p :p

pete
07/12/2007, 2:02 PM
wasnt santa originally blue?

He was never sponsored by Pepsi.

anto1208
07/12/2007, 2:04 PM
wasnt santa originally blue? p

That's what happens when you live in the north pole :o

Magicme
07/12/2007, 2:06 PM
I agree. Think that red are much nicer and contrast against the green of the tree much better.

I think the reason there are lots more blue lights about this year is that there are more LED lights and they are cheaper in colour than white.

cheifo
07/12/2007, 2:27 PM
They were especially brought to celebrate Harps glorious promotion this year.:o

MojoPin
07/12/2007, 2:34 PM
They were especially brought to celebrate Harps glorious promotion this year.:o

i knew there was some mysterious reason behind it :rolleyes:

paul_oshea
07/12/2007, 3:05 PM
my parents bought blue lights in john lewis when they were over, the big 18 mtr ones :D

They actually looked good.....hanging up in john lewis anyhow!

John83
07/12/2007, 3:58 PM
There, I've said it.
I agree. They don't look festive at all.

wasnt santa originally blue? although santa has got nothing got to do with the real christmas anyway therefore you could argue xmas lights are wrong altogether :p :p
Maybe. He's been lots of difference colours, only settling on red in the last century - and not because of Coca-cola before anyone brings up that urban myth.

He was never sponsored by Pepsi.
Too late.

strangeirish
07/12/2007, 4:08 PM
Especially if they are in your rear-view mirror.;)

sadloserkid
07/12/2007, 5:43 PM
I freakin' hate the current infatuation with only having lights of one colour on your Christmas tree. It's hellaugly. Gimme a good old-fashioned tree with every ridiculous colour under the son on it anytime. :)

Risteard
07/12/2007, 11:42 PM
Dead right slk. Christmas trees shouldn't be decorated by designers.
Multi-coloured tinsel and random decorations everywhere please.

osarusan
08/12/2007, 12:43 AM
I freakin' hate the current infatuation with only having lights of one colour on your Christmas tree. It's hellaugly. Gimme a good old-fashioned tree with every ridiculous colour under the son on it anytime. :)

Agreed. Unless all the lights are gold, then it's ok.

Magicme
10/12/2007, 8:35 AM
I have 2 Christmas trees. One is a pre-lit white lights affair and it is decorated with things the kids made (they call them the "tacky homemade decorations" but I love to see them on the tree) and baubles. My second tree (the main one) I put red LED lights on it and have decorated it with antique looking shaker style decorations. Little wooden santas, reindeers, stars and angels and some lovely cloth decorations. Also some gorgeous plaster decorations I have had for years.

OOOOh I love Christmas!

Ash
10/12/2007, 8:39 AM
Bought ours yesterday. Never knew the things cost so much,
although all the decorations needed came in the box with the tree.

This be the one we got ...

Oh, yeah, blue Christmas lights are just wrong. I keep thinking its
the Gardai up ahead when I see them!

Babysis
10/12/2007, 9:49 AM
Dead right slk. Christmas trees shouldn't be decorated by designers.
Multi-coloured tinsel and random decorations everywhere please.

Absolutely. Wasn't worth putting up a tree here as Im going back to London for Christmas - gutted though as for the first time in years I wont be there for putting the tree up, decorating it and inevitably falling out with my dad when one of us knocks it over:D

pete
10/12/2007, 11:26 AM
I am surprised in this age of environmental sustainability I am surprised we chopping down trees as decorations & covering homes in more lights than ever before...

:confused:

Magicme
10/12/2007, 11:40 AM
A few things there, Christmas trees grow quickly and therefore chopping them down, replanting and doing this over and over is actually good for the environment. Or you can go down the route of a re-useable artificial tree which can last for years and years.

As for the decorations, again they are re-used year in year out.

The lights I agree add further burden, that is why this year I bought the energy saving LED lights. They are only on for a few hours a day and therefore dont use that much extra.

pete
10/12/2007, 11:42 AM
The lights I agree add further burden, that is why this year I bought the energy saving LED lights. They are only on for a few hours a day and therefore dont use that much extra.

There has been a trend in recent years to go down the American route of covering house in tacky lights...

Magicme
10/12/2007, 11:46 AM
I have never been a "trend" follower and while I do hang some pretty stars and moon lights in my window I hate the whole overboard thing.

stann
10/12/2007, 11:54 AM
I am surprised in this age of environmental sustainability I am surprised we chopping down trees as decorations & covering homes in more lights than ever before...

:confused:

They did a piece on Granada (I know :o ) recently comparing the two, and real trees came out way on top in terms of green-ness if you'll allow the pun.

In the UK at least, and I'd imaging similarly here, there's no tree that travels more than 20 miles from it's growing site on average, whereas most artificial trees come from half way round the world in China.
Plastic trees consume large resources in their manufacture while real trees take next to nothing and often are grown on bad land that's no good for anything else. And while growing and re-growing they're doing their thing for the local wildlife too.
In terms of recycling, plastic trees are of course re-used but will eventually have to be dumped, so you're only deferring the usual problems, whereas real trees can be chipped (for free pretty much everywhere) and reused in gardens and so on.

pete
18/12/2007, 12:39 PM
Apparently extra electricity usage Christmas lights equal to 4,800 transatlantic flights. I am going out to see if any of the crusties moaning about airports have Christmas lights... :p

kingdom hoop
18/12/2007, 6:55 PM
Couldn't agree more with dahamsta. I ventured outside the house for the first in an age today, just cycled home in the dark there, and they were fcuking all over the place. I really don't like the look of them, nothing festive in them for me. One could almost be moved to say that they're ho ho ho horrible.

Red&White Rover
18/12/2007, 7:00 PM
I can't actually focus my eyes on them. They're just a luminous blue blur.