PDA

View Full Version : Michael Keane and wages.

Pages : [1] 2

Risteard
06/12/2007, 12:26 PM
This is bound to descend into rumour and chinese whispers so here it goes anyway.
Is it certain that Michael Keane is one of the eLs highest-paid players?

One of the tabloids the other day stated that he's paid nearly 3times what Gamble is paid. I wouldn't believe that to be honest.

I've often heard the ridiculous rumours of wages of Fenn, Alan Moore, Crowe and Byrne but they tend not to go away about this fella.
When he was signed aswell there was several articles in the rags about how it was a landmark signing and that soon, the top eL players would be breaking the 5,000 mark.

Is this possible and isn't Keane crap anyway(just seen him once or twice)?

pete
06/12/2007, 12:27 PM
He is paid by the pound & I don't mean sterling :p

sliced pan
06/12/2007, 12:35 PM
How much did it say he was gettin.

Dodge
06/12/2007, 12:35 PM
He's not crap. He's unfit though. We were told by the club that although they couldn't speak about specific wages; "halve what the papers say, and round it down another couple of hundred euro" Keane is almost certainly our highest paid player though (and not worth that accolade)

Chris Turner asked Pats for a wage and we couldn't afford it. Can't remember the exact figure. George O'Callaghan told the Tribune he was on €125,000 a year

I think a lot of it is down to lazy journalism. One 'paper will report a fee and everyone just sort of goes with it. I know for a fact that the salary the papers gave Keith Fahey was about 40% off.

It seems that every player is linked with a move to Drogheda, Bohs and Pats and all are reputed to be offered megadeals. I even read that Pats offered Dave Mooney €4k a week when i know the lad personally and he wasn't offered anythign by Pats (having told them he wants to go away)

Red4Eva
06/12/2007, 12:50 PM
keane is getting the same as what our whole midfield that played against him towards the end of the season gets. i think it's 2,500

gufct
06/12/2007, 12:53 PM
The wages he is allegedly on is €4,500 a week dont know if thats before or after tax. Pats,Bohs & Drogheda are paying crazy wages and I just wonder how they intend to beat the salary cap this season ?

Last season we couldnt match what UCD were paying a player (though Stu says it was the team he was on loan from was paying his wages) and this season we couldnt match Rovers deal with Dessie Baker.

Dodge
06/12/2007, 1:00 PM
The wages he is allegedly on is €4,500 a week dont know if thats before or after tax. Pats,Bohs & Drogheda are paying crazy wages
Glad you uised the word alledgedly. Not surprised you chose to believe the media.

I can tell you that 4 players who played about 50 games for pats last season were on less than €200 p/w A couple have got pay rises since and two have left

I've no doubt we've one of the highest wage bills in the league but the figures being bandied about here are riduclously OTT

MariborKev
06/12/2007, 1:11 PM
Derry's AGM tonight and a few of us are keenly awaiting the accounts......

Commonly theory is that our wage bill is £18-20k for the squad, per week:eek:

Moore on his way apparently

OneRedArmy
06/12/2007, 1:17 PM
Unless you know definitively whether a wage is pre or post tax you've got a 30% variability built in immediately.

Thats not to mention sign on fees, performance bonuses, expenses, ancilliary benefits (house, car etc.) makey up jobs, backhanders from the gate etc.

Nobody knows what players are really on. To find out we'd need to increase financial transparency by a factor of 100.

And thats why the wage cap will be the biggest farce of the lot.

btid1
06/12/2007, 1:24 PM
Pats,Bohs & Drogheda are paying crazy wages and I just wonder how they intend to beat the salary cap this season ?

And your proof of this is what exactly??

Have you seen the accounts for Bohemian FC?Are you a member of Bohemian FC?

Don't believe everything you read in the papers mate!

gufct
06/12/2007, 1:57 PM

So all the players are playing for nothing ya.

seand60
06/12/2007, 2:01 PM
Dessie Baker on €1100 a week.

Ronnie
06/12/2007, 2:27 PM
Every season the same crap - the only relevant question is what a player costs a club in a season. Dessie Baker on €1100 a week. Is this gross or net? Is it 52 weeks or just for the playing season? Based on this he could be costing Rovers 40k to 100k in a year, thats a massive variance.

btid1
06/12/2007, 2:30 PM
So all the players are playing for nothing ya.

Ye the same way all the Galway players are playing for nothing!

I am a member of Bohemian FC and therefore privy to the type of wage information you are speaking of and I can assure you we are not paying any player crazy money.Granted we are competitive but the same can be said of all the top 4 teams.But to say we are paying crazy money is totally disingenuous.

sligored
06/12/2007, 4:30 PM

this is true . i am friendly with mark rossiter and he told me that bohs were offering him twice the wages that rovers could offer him.

he would prefer to play for sligo but it is not economically viable.

monutdfc
06/12/2007, 5:07 PM
Bohs did announce a huge increase in their wage budget for the year when they announuced Sean Connor as manager; I remember thinking it was more than a bit silly to do so before they went out to sign players. (I can't find any link to the story though.)

RonnieB
06/12/2007, 5:34 PM
Dessie on 1100?? No wonder we had financial issues.

pineapple stu
06/12/2007, 6:01 PM
Last season we couldnt match what UCD were paying a player (though Stu says it was the team he was on loan from was paying his wages) and this season we couldnt match Rovers deal with Dessie Baker.
Which player (presumably Murphy or Hynes) and which Stu?

You're posting an awful lot of unsubstantiated rumours for one little thread. Given our budget compared to yours, I doubt we out-offered anyone. Even Dublin City offered more money than us in 2006 (Paul Crowley and Keith Doyle).

niallsparky
06/12/2007, 10:03 PM
this is true . i am friendly with mark rossiter and he told me that bohs were offering him twice the wages that rovers could offer him.

Mark Rossiter is an amateur. He gets paid for some coaching he does. We are not allowed to sign him as a player because we would have to pay compensation to Sunderland with whom he terminated his contract due to injury.

gufct
06/12/2007, 10:08 PM
Mark Rossiter is an amateur. He gets paid for some coaching he does. We are not allowed to sign him as a player because we would have to pay compensation to Sunderland with whom he terminated his contract due to injury.

You must be really green if you believe Bohs are not paying him a big wage he can play as a part time player but that doesnt mean he is on peanuts.

OneRedArmy
06/12/2007, 10:18 PM
Mark Rossiter is an amateur. He gets paid for some coaching he does. We are not allowed to sign him as a player because we would have to pay compensation to Sunderland with whom he terminated his contract due to injury.Refer to my earlier post about makey-upey jobs......

Macy
07/12/2007, 7:15 AM
Look at your namesakes post, even if he was on that, could be very different figures dependent on what the 1100 is based on. Also, I'd say his stock is well up now compared to the start of his time with us.

btid1
07/12/2007, 9:53 AM

So you have seen his wage slips then?

Footballers are not renound for their honesty when it comes to wages.How many times have we heard of footballers standing around a pub/club with a load of mates and groupies hanging off then telling all in sundry how much they are making playing football.I suppose Rossitter really wasnt going to say anything else to a Sligo fan though was he now.(He doesnt seem to have any problem living it up in the clubs in Dublin telling everyone how he plays football for a living.Maybe he doesnt like being the small fish in a big pond as oppose to in Sligo where he is the big fish in a small pond!!!)

This doesnt make it true.Trust me Ive seen the books.

It is true to say we have increased our wage base.But by no means are we allowing Sean Connor to gamble away our future in search of instant success.We are not Shelbourne FC!

The reason for the increase was a big increase in club turnover.New deals are on the table with new sponsorship deals etc and there are some very influential people attached to Bohemian FC.I will reiterate however that we are not spending silly money and those fans of other clubs who claim to have huge knowledge of what Bohs players are being payed are quite deluded.

Our level of spending is back to the levels we spent under Roddy when inflation is considered and no more.We did cut back for a couple of years when we failed to win the league under Kenny.Subsequent cut backs followed under Farrelly.

So let that dispel the rumours circulating this forum.

soccerc
07/12/2007, 9:56 AM
The reason for the increase was a big increase in club turnover.New deals are on the table with new sponsorship deals etc and there are some very influential people attached to Bohemian FC.

Question is are these influential people members.

btid1
07/12/2007, 10:01 AM
Question is are these influential people members.

Yes they are.

Mr A
07/12/2007, 10:07 AM
btid1 has a very good point there. One should never take too seriously what players say about their pay. There are very few that will not claim that other clubs have offered/paid them or others megabucks in order to try and get the best deal possible for themselves. Players notoriously just tend to tell people what they want to hear- I know of several examples where players agreed a deal with club, then joined another on more or less the same terms but then claimed that the 2nd club had offered far more money.

pineapple stu
07/12/2007, 3:56 PM

You're posting an awful lot of unsubstantiated rumours for one little thread. Given our budget compared to yours, I doubt we out-offered anyone. Even Dublin City offered more money than us in 2006 (Paul Crowley and Keith Doyle).
You ignoring this then, gufct?

DmanDmythDledge
07/12/2007, 4:08 PM

It was actually me and it was Hynes. gufct claimed that we offered Hynes more money than Galway in July even though you don't make any offer to the player in a loan agreement.

pineapple stu
07/12/2007, 4:10 PM
So he was talking nonsense in the first post?

hoopy
07/12/2007, 5:54 PM
Dessie Baker would be lucky if he's on half with us of what he's supposed to be on. As for the Michael Keane thing, his preference was to sign for Bohs who rightly wouldn't pay him what he wanted.

dublin15bohs
08/12/2007, 12:36 PM
Dessie Baker would be lucky if he's on half with us of what he's supposed to be on. As for the Michael Keane thing, his preference was to sign for Bohs who rightly wouldn't pay him what he wanted.

We turned down several players this year because of wage demands, the players ended up mostly at pats.

CollegeTillIDie
08/12/2007, 1:40 PM
What people on this thread seem to forget is this...!

Dublin based players who play part time for players based outside the capital city get a travelling allowance of some kind.
I doubt very much that 1100 Euros per week was his net wages. Usually clubs based outside Dublin play small basic wages to players , but those who have to travel for games get a travelling allowance and sometimes something to compensate them for loss of wages for any half days/or full days they have to take off work to fulfill fixtures.
It might on one occasion have been wages + travelling + win bonus + bonus for scoring a goal + compo for loss of wages for a midweek fixture in that game or the like.

gufct
08/12/2007, 3:11 PM
So he was talking nonsense in the first post?

so Peter hynes played for UCD for nothing and im talking rubbish:D

pineapple stu
08/12/2007, 3:19 PM
You seem to have remarkable difficulty in grasping the point of any post made on this thread.

You said we offered more wages for a player than you did. This is what I'm challenging as rubbish. I never said he played for us for free. Your answer backs up my theory that you're talking rubbish.

gufct
08/12/2007, 4:04 PM
not rubbish ask your manager.Fact Peter Hynes signed for UCD not GUFC because UCD offered him more money . Seems straightforward to me but then again im not an Academic.:rolleyes:

kdjaC
08/12/2007, 4:13 PM
not rubbish ask your manager.Fact Peter Hynes signed for UCD not GUFC because UCD offered him more money . Seems straightforward to me but then again im not an Academic.:rolleyes:

he wanted to be back in dublin he was on loan so loan club pays whatever he was on with Derry.

kdjac

pineapple stu
08/12/2007, 4:51 PM
Thank you kdjac. Of course, that was already said on this thread, but gufct seems intent on a bit of a troll...

Longfordian
15/12/2007, 3:50 PM

Definitely was not getting that while he was with us. About half of that, maybe a little more I'd say. Gross

Risteard
25/03/2008, 11:41 PM
Papers earlier today said City players are on e500 a goal bonus.
Very lavish imo.

harry crumb
25/03/2008, 11:42 PM
No wonder Mooney was so excited!:D

Risteard
25/03/2008, 11:46 PM
Seriously though, are we gonna be dishing out e3,500 in goal bonusses alone when we thump Dungannon in front of our season ticket holders and another 300?

mrtndvn
26/03/2008, 12:03 AM
Seriously though, are we gonna be dishing out e3,500 in goal bonuses alone when we thump Dungannon in front of our season ticket holders and another 300?

Dont be worrying, your saving a fortune in the league

Risteard
26/03/2008, 12:05 AM
Touche!

John83
26/03/2008, 9:44 AM
Unless you know definitively whether a wage is pre or post tax you've got a 30% variability built in immediately.

Thats not to mention sign on fees, performance bonuses, expenses, ancilliary benefits (house, car etc.) makey up jobs, backhanders from the gate etc.

Nobody knows what players are really on. To find out we'd need to increase financial transparency by a factor of 100.

And thats why the wage cap will be the biggest farce of the lot.
I'm all for more transparency. I would point out though that the clubs do have to be fairly open with the FAI on money matters now - accounts submitted every month, a dedicated punter examining them for compliance with the wage cap. I'm reluctant to trust any process when we're depending on the FAI to be conscientious and thorough, but it's not as simple as you say.

JC_GUFC
26/03/2008, 11:43 AM
Jesus,
The same threads keep popping up over and over each season.

To be fair what players are on is their own business and if clubs can afford to pay these wages fair play to them.

At the end of the day though clubs should be more wary about signing players like Michael Keane, he seems a good footballer but his weight is a total embarrassment to the league, the club and himself.

forza
26/03/2008, 11:49 AM
Jesus,
The same threads keep popping up over and over each season.

To be fair what players are on is their own business and if clubs can afford to pay these wages fair play to them.

At the end of the day though clubs should be more wary about signing players like Michael Keane, he seems a good footballer but his weight is a total embarrassment to the league, the club and himself.

Hes just big boned :D

Dodge
26/03/2008, 12:07 PM
No, he's a fat lazy ****

And I know one Cork player who's on close to ten grand a goal so far...

pete
26/03/2008, 12:15 PM
Papers earlier today said City players are on e500 a goal bonus. Very lavish imo.

Not the most successful bonus scheme so far.

Schumi
26/03/2008, 12:21 PM
No, he's a fat lazy ****

And I know one Cork player who's on close to ten grand a goal so far...All but three of our players have been paid €1m per goal so far.

micls
26/03/2008, 3:18 PM
Papers earlier today said City players are on e500 a goal bonus.
Very lavish imo.

Well clearly not motivation enough to get them scoring.....