PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Giles Query

dynamo kerry
06/12/2007, 12:24 PM
I have a Gilesy query. When did he go to Vancouver whitecaps? this could also be - when did heleave rovers?

also I'm sure that when I had my panini sticker album season 85-86 Gilsey was in it as manager of west brom - did he go back for a brief while?

TheBoss
06/12/2007, 1:09 PM
I have a Gilesy query. When did he go to Vancouver whitecaps? this could also be - when did heleave rovers?

also I'm sure that when I had my panini sticker album season 85-86 Gilsey was in it as manager of west brom - did he go back for a brief while?

Did you read this ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Giles

NeilMcD
06/12/2007, 2:13 PM
http://www.ireland-mad.co.uk/news/loadfeat.asp?cid=EDY1&id=251405

Jerry The Saint
06/12/2007, 4:37 PM
http://www.ireland-mad.co.uk/news/loadfeat.asp?cid=EDY1&id=251405

Anyone think Gilesy may have had a jar or two during that interview? ;)

He remembers as a child finding a picture in the house of his father with Stanley Matthews. Dicky Giles' son was impressed, Stanley Matthews at the time was The King of Football. "I asked my father what he was like and he said 'He's a lovely man but he knows **** all about football'."

Decades later, Giles met Matthews when they were in Dublin for Liam Brady's testimonial. A number of the Leeds players were in town and they spent the night in the hotel bar where Matthews joined them.

"Stan was brilliant, loved chatting with the lads, he was a really unassuming fella but Stan started talking about football and Stan was talking the biggest load of crap you've ever heard. And I remember thinking, '**** me, my father was bang-on'."

"People might say it's childish but football is a childish game. You don't want to be worldly because then you'd say 'I can't kick him' whereas the attitude we'd have had was 'I'll kill him'. And you would and think nothing of it."

:D

"I watched Match of the Day a few weeks ago and Gary Lineker - who I have a great respect for, he was a terrific player - actually irritated me. He's become like a professional presenter, looking at the camera, winking at the camera, a little quip, anything rather than talk about the game. I think people are hungry for knowledge of the game. They want to know what's going on and they want an honest opinion of it. People say, football's a simple game but it's not. It's complicated but reducing it to simplicity is the secret. People know when they're being kidded."

He laughed when he read of the battle for Jamie Redknapp as a pundit. "He seems to be a lovely lad but I wouldn't listen to Jamie Redknapp for an accurate analysis of the game in a million years. He's a pleasant, nice-looking lad who won't actually say anything."

TESTIFY! :)

Drumcondra 69er
06/12/2007, 6:44 PM
Anyone think Gilesy may have had a jar or two during that interview? ;)

TESTIFY! :)

Can't argue with any of it though, he speaks the truth! :D

OwlsFan
07/12/2007, 5:05 PM
Can't argue with any of it though, he speaks the truth! :D

His own version of the "truth" and repeats it ad nauseum. "I know I am repeating myself Bill ((tugs at cuff links)) but....."

geysir
07/12/2007, 6:04 PM
He isn't the only ould fella who repeats himself :)

NeilMcD
08/12/2007, 12:59 AM
His own version of the "truth" and repeats it ad nauseum. "I know I am repeating myself Bill ((tugs at cuff links)) but....."

what is the truth only ones version of it. There is not such thing as absolute truth, only opinion that people can or wont agree with.

Drumcondra 69er
08/12/2007, 10:17 AM

His version of the truth is spot on when it comes to Gary Lineker and Jamie Redknapp though.