PDA

View Full Version : FourFourTwo Supplement thingy

Lim till i die
05/12/2007, 6:49 PM
Free with (the increasingly poor) magazine this month is a supplement entitled "100 Players Your Club Should Sign"

Interesting to note no fewer than Six LoI players mentioned in the 100.

Just thought it was interesting as the league seems to be getting ever increasing amounts of attention from accross the water.

Players Mentioned were:

Ken Oman
Stephen Bradley
Mark Quigley
Keith Fahey
John O'Flynn
Joe Gamble

Paddyfield
05/12/2007, 6:53 PM
Four Four Two magazine gives more attention to the League of Ireland than the Irish Times.

onephillyhughes
05/12/2007, 7:42 PM
Why isn't the league included in the European and World round-up part?

Seagull
05/12/2007, 8:01 PM
Why isn't the league included in the European and World round-up part?

Read the letter from the Bray Wanderers fan from Carlisle in the Letters page- little (out of date) pic of the Carlisle Grounds and all! They say they're revamping the World/ European round-up section and will include LOI.

Pauro 76
05/12/2007, 8:13 PM
Read the letter from the Bray Wanderers fan from Carlisle in the Letters page- little (out of date) pic of the Carlisle Grounds and all! They say they're revamping the World/ European round-up section and will include LOI.

Joy of joys! Well it would be if Town were in the Premier. And no mention of Mooney! :eek:

dcfcsteve
05/12/2007, 8:32 PM
No Connor Sammon in there !?!

The UCD boys will be frothing...... ;)

No McCourt either - fairly, given his work rate. Surprised that Stephen Bradley is still rated, having already had a shot at England.

Martinho II
05/12/2007, 8:57 PM
luckily enough i always buy four four two! cant wait to read that supplement!

A face
05/12/2007, 8:57 PM
Thats the worst thing that can happen for the league in my opinion. The less attention we get from abroad and more attention for people here the better. I couldn't give a toss what bargains English clubs are chasing as long as they are not over here.

Why should Irish fans/clubs/officials have any affinity or respect or loyalty, (what ever you want to call it) They will do nothing for this league. Its all one way, and has never been any different. We have enough trouble dealing with the FAI for gods sake.

dcfcsteve
06/12/2007, 1:10 AM
Thats the worst thing that can happen for the league in my opinion. The less attention we get from abroad and more attention for people here the better. I couldn't give a toss what bargains English clubs are chasing as long as they are not over here.

Why should Irish fans/clubs/officials have any affinity or respect or loyalty, (what ever you want to call it) They will do nothing for this league. Its all one way, and has never been any different. We have enough trouble dealing with the FAI for gods sake.

Not sure if it's the impending 442 coverage you're complaining about here....?

If so - I don't see any harm in it. Any publicity for a league, that focuses on the footballing side of things, is to be welcomed. It will also help elevate our league into the consciousness of those in Ireland who follow the English and Scottish game solely. It is perfectly possible to get through life in Ireland being nigh-on blissfully unaware that there is actually a domestic league here at all.

Dodge
06/12/2007, 5:42 AM

Its a amagazine article ffs a face. Its not going to be read by chairman and think "oooh I might buy him". It will be bought by a huge amount of Irish people though who might think "Jaysus, Pats mightn't be too bad if they have two players mentioned..."

An article highlights some positives in the game and you camplain...

CollegeTillIDie
06/12/2007, 6:16 AM
Perversely more attention will be paid to the League here by the Premiershi* besotted masses especially younger ones, if they read about it in the likes of Four Four Two, SHOOT Monthly or the like than if the Irish media gave the League the same sort of coverage that EVERY OTHER DOMESTIC PRESS GIVES THEIR LEAGUE THROUGHOUT EUROPE. And this includes very poorly attended domestic Leagues I might add.

Poor Student
06/12/2007, 7:47 AM

Eh? :confused:

John83
06/12/2007, 10:19 AM

No McCourt either - fairly, given his work rate. Surprised that Stephen Bradley is still rated, having already had a shot at England.
Nah, just amused to find someone else doesn't rate him. That makes at least four of us now. ;)

JC_GUFC
06/12/2007, 11:17 AM
An article highlights some positives in the game and you camplain...

All the Corkies are the same!

It's like the anti-summer football brigade saying that the pitches would be too hard and bumpy with the fine weather and then when it's ****ing rain in July saying - I told you so, the weather's crap all the year around!

:rolleyes:

Risteard
06/12/2007, 12:00 PM
Its a amagazine article ffs a face. Its not going to be read by chairman and think "oooh I might buy him".
I don't know about that Dodge. You might be putting too much faith in the scouting networks of middleing English teams there.
I would have thought most scouts for a Championship team would think twice before walking past that on a magazine stand.

They know it shouldn't be taken as gospel but if they've heard of colleagues going to see Dave Mooney they might think that a Pats, City or Bohs match would be worth taking in.

I don't see why this could be considered a bad thing. Offers can be refused.

Sheridan
06/12/2007, 12:08 PM
You should see the pic they have of Keith Fahey, he's playing for an Irish underage team and looks about twelve. They also reckon he has "devastating pace..."

Ash
06/12/2007, 12:11 PM
Saw Conor Sammon plauing for the U21s against Bulgaria ...
doubt many clubs would be interested on that performance

Dodge
06/12/2007, 12:18 PM
What levels did they say the lads could play at? Just out of interest...

Sheridan
06/12/2007, 12:23 PM
Oman - Championship/SPL, Gamble - Charlton supposedly interested, Bradley - "any ambitious, attractive lower-league club", Fahey - Reading, Quigley - Leeds, O'Flynn - Blackpool.

Dodge
06/12/2007, 2:10 PM
Cheers Sheridan. The details on the Pats lads have been posted on our forum. Thankfully boht have now signed new contracts but here it is for interest

61 Keith Fahey
Age 24 Nationality Irish
Current Club St Patrick's Athletic

A stand-out talent in the Eircom League of Ireland, with devastating pace and lethal delivery from set pieces. The playmaker learnt his trade as a trainee under Liam Brady at Arsenal before moving to Aston Villa, eventually returning to his native Dublin, where a second spell with St Pat's has concluded with him becoming a free agent. Never afraid to move clubs, he also had an ill-fated spell at Drogheda United.

[b] Would suit... A manager confident enough to harness an occasionally volatile but precocious talent. Shone alongside Kevin Doyle at the World Youth Championship in 2003. With a natural ability to provide ammunition from the right side of midfield, he could be reunited with Doyle at the Madejski Stadium.

78 Mark Quigley
Age 22 Nationality Irish
Current Club St Patrick's Athletic

Why buy? Among the top scorers in the Eircom League with more than 20 goals to his credit this term, Quigley is one of a rare breed who come alive on the ball in and around the penalty area. Blessed with quick feet and nippy on the turn, he's maturing into a prolific striker with pace, mobility and the ability to forage alone up front. A former under-21 international, his outstanding form was recently rewarded with a promotion to the under-23 squad.

Would suit... Leeds United, in their push for an immediate return to the Championship. Dennis Wise is known to have travelled to watch the youngster this season, and he also handed him his league debut as a teenager while player-boss at Millwall. Quigley is currently out of contract, so Elland road it is, then.

pete
06/12/2007, 3:38 PM
Seen the Gamble one & seemed accurate enough.

Fahy - set pieces, Yes, but pace?

Risteard
06/12/2007, 3:52 PM
Can't find a copy in any newsagents.
What positions in the list were the other eL players and was the list made up of non-(English)league players?

Lim till i die
06/12/2007, 3:54 PM
Can't find a copy in any newsagents.
What positions in the list were the other eL players and was the list made up of non-(English)league players?

They weren't ranked as such, just listed by positions on the pitch.

It covered all over Europe, majority based in England.

Sheridan
06/12/2007, 4:01 PM
Incidentally, elsewhere in FourFourTwo there's an interview with Alastair Campbell.

"...we [Burnley] had to win at Scunthorpe on the last day to go up, I was determined to go. But we were in Belfast, bogged down by the peace talks. In the end I made my excuses and I felt so guilty about it. I could see Tony staring through me from the other end of the table. We went up, so it was worth it, but I found out later that the talks would have broken up in time anyway - Bertie Ahern had tickets to Man Utd." :o

Risteard
06/12/2007, 4:05 PM
Ha, that's a brilliant quote.

pete
06/12/2007, 4:28 PM
Incidentally, elsewhere in FourFourTwo there's an interview with Alastair Campbell.

"...we [Burnley] had to win at Scunthorpe on the last day to go up, I was determined to go. But we were in Belfast, bogged down by the peace talks. In the end I made my excuses and I felt so guilty about it. I could see Tony staring through me from the other end of the table. We went up, so it was worth it, but I found out later that the talks would have broken up in time anyway - Bertie Ahern had tickets to Man Utd." :o

Maybe we could add that to the intro section eL here. I think that fairly sums up many eL fans opinions.

CollegeTillIDie
08/12/2007, 2:36 PM

Bertie, should be sacked as Taoiseach, for jeopardising the peace process to go to an ENGLISH Premiership game .:mad:

dcfcsteve
09/12/2007, 1:22 AM

Beauriful. A non-elected English member of back-room political staff feels guilty for slipping away form the peace process talks to watch his unfashionable local team gain promotion.

Then finds out they were due to finish early anyway, so the electd leader of he Irish people at those talks could himself slope-off to watch an English team play football in Manchester..

Shameful..... :o