PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Dalglish

Pages : [1] 2 3

Deckydee
05/12/2007, 9:26 AM
Yes, finally a manager on the list that has won MAJOR honours. He has to go top of the list now

Wo Hoo! - Its the end of Venables!!

eekers
05/12/2007, 9:32 AM
he should go for the scottish job then and feck off both him and souness

harps1954
05/12/2007, 10:40 AM
Dalglish will certainly move up the pecking order now that Houghton has been added to the interview panel. What price is he with the bookies?

If it was a choice between Dalglish and Venables, who would you take??

RogerMilla
05/12/2007, 10:49 AM

have i only got one bullet ?

scottish_bohs
05/12/2007, 10:49 AM
Howard Kendall, Terry Venables and now Dalgleish... surely there's better option out there than that?!

Maybe Kenny will bring in John Barnes as his assistant too.

centre mid
05/12/2007, 10:52 AM
Dalglish 10 years ago would have been ideal

eekers
05/12/2007, 10:54 AM

he was still past it ten years ago

scottish_bohs
05/12/2007, 10:54 AM

A good few thousand Geordies would probably disagree!

Dr. Ogba
05/12/2007, 10:57 AM
Ah come on out of that Deckydee, when was the last time Dalglish did anything of note (apart from mumbling some inane banalaties on Sky Sports) - Jaysus I'd even say that Venebles is a better candidate, at least he's got recent experience in the international field.

Its really beginning to p*ss me off seeing all of these over the hill ould lads in search of one last pay off at the expense of Irish fans...

Venebles, Kendall, Dalglish, Big Ron, Dave Bassett, Peter Reid etc etc etc - DON'T BOTHER APPLYING, WE DON'T WANT YOU!!!

eekers
05/12/2007, 11:02 AM
Ah come on out of that Deckydee, when was the last time Dalglish did anything of note (apart from mumbling some inane banalaties on Sky Sports) - Jaysus I'd even say that Venebles is a better candidate, at least he's got recent experience in the international field.

Its really beginning to p*ss me off seeing all of these over the hill ould lads in search of one last pay off at the expense of Irish fans...

Venebles, Kendall, Dalglish, Big Ron, Dave Bassett, Peter Reid etc etc etc - DON'T BOTHER APPLYING, WE DON'T WANT YOU!!!

i wouldnt even let them drive the train to cork

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 11:03 AM
Dalglish was discredited a long time ago. If his spell managing Celtic is anything to go by he'd view the position as a well paid sinecure that'd allow him a leisurely lifestyle until things go t1ts up, then he'd screw the FAI for compensation.

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 11:08 AM
From breakingnews.ie:

Meanwhile, Kenny Dalglish is the latest name to express an interest in the Irish job.

Reports this morning say he has told friends that he fancies taking on the money, sorry, the challenge.

eekers
05/12/2007, 11:12 AM
"dalglish advocate in cant spell dalglish shocker"

but about dalglish hes too busy playing golf and hanging around with actual gangsters and being involved in dodgy deals

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/focus/story/0,6903,1329327,00.html

elroy
05/12/2007, 11:14 AM
The best thing Kenny Dalglish has achieved is his daughter Kelly!! :p

Would have Hodgson above him anyday.

Noelys Guitar
05/12/2007, 11:59 AM
Five live announced on Saturday that Dalglish and Kinnear had put their names forward for the job. Dalglish would be "You tell me" mark 2.

Drumcondra 69er
05/12/2007, 12:15 PM
Yesterday's man part 3 after TV and HK. No thanks.

Deckydee
05/12/2007, 12:55 PM
Honestly this is getting tiring. There is no pleasing the lot of you.

Terry Venables - "Oh he's a chancer, we cant take him"!

Daglish - "Oh he is past it"

Hodgson - 'Not good enough"

Souness - 'Oh he caused trouble with former players"

O'Leary - 'Blew millions at Leeds'

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are Ireland, there are no queues outside Merrion Square (Or where ever they be)

Give a dog a bone here

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 12:59 PM
OK, Decky, all you've said is you'd like Dalglish.

Why don't you say why?

I'm happy to say why I don't rate him.

Most here agree that Coppell and Hodgson are good candidates, so it's not all negativity.

Also, your synopsis of the opinions on the candidates is a bit churlish.

Ireland4ever
05/12/2007, 1:05 PM

Hodgson - 'Not good enough"

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are Ireland, there are no queues outside Merrion Square (Or where ever they be)

Give a dog a bone here

Id take him....

Deckydee
05/12/2007, 1:08 PM
Ok, first translate 'churlish' a Clare bogger like me wouldnt know a word like that ;)

Also, I dont know, and I'm only putting this out here mind, please feel free to shoot it down if you wish but my reason for backing Dalgish is that he won the Permiership title twice with two different teams. Has any other candiate have a C.V like him?

Is that a good reason?

Also, I said in an earlier post that I like Coppell as well, but hes success does not match that of Dalgish.

Indeed a lot of pointed out that he could be 'past it' and that is a fair point, but I think he would be a good choice

geysir
05/12/2007, 1:10 PM

Why don't you say why?

Most here agree that Coppell and Hodgson are good candidates, so it's not all negativity.

Does 6 months as Celtic caretaker manager wipe his record clean?
I am not going to make a case for Dalglish.
But a 4 time manager of the year record up to 1997 isn´t bad.
The words of Houghton may be relevant, does he really want the job bad enough?

Ireland4ever
05/12/2007, 1:13 PM
Ok, first translate 'churlish' a Clare bogger like me wouldnt know a word like that ;)

Also, I dont know, and I'm only putting this out here mind, please feel free to shoot it down if you wish but my reason for backing Dalgish is that he won the Permiership title twice with two different teams. Has any other candiate have a C.V like him?

Is that a good reason?

Also, I said in an earlier post that I like Coppell as well, but hes success does not match that of Dalgish.

Indeed a lot of pointed out that he could be 'past it' and that is a fair point, but I think he would be a good choice

the premiership with two different teams, think you'll find thats not true....He won the football league with liverpool and the premiership with blackburn....So he has league titles then, howard kendall has two, do ypu want him then?? NOT A CHANCE!
Its about time ireland broke out of the cycle of appointing rinky dink managers!

All aboard, the train to cork is departing!

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 1:23 PM
Decky, I thought a well-travelled europhile like yourself would have a broader vocabulary. What part of Flanders are you in? Superb region for beer.

Since Dalglish spent Walker's millions to buy the Premiership his star has waned. He started well with a Newcastle team that had just blown the league under Keegan but, from what I recall, lost the players' respect and they have declined, never to recover since (not all his fault obviously).

His spell stewarding John Barnes at Celtic was a disaster and he had to take sole charge where he did little of note. He then managed to get nearly a million quid from Celtic after he left which left me with the impression that he had no dignity and should have accepted that he hadn't done a good job.

I think he's got a reputation for being abrasive and belligerent and he makes Stan look articulate by comparison.

If Dalglish was so good why has he done nothing in club management since Celtic? There were plenty of examples in his latter years as a club manager that he was flaky, lazy and not capable of reproducing his past success.

I fully accept your point that the list of candidates isn't huge, but we should look to people with recent experience and only once these guys are ruled out should we consider the old-school guys who nobody else will hire.

eirebhoy
05/12/2007, 1:27 PM

Give a dog a bone here
Could you see, say, Denmark appointing any of the above? And who in the name of jaysus said Hogson isn't good enough?

Ireland4ever
05/12/2007, 1:29 PM
Decky, I thought a well-travelled europhile like yourself would have a broader vocabulary. What part of Flanders are you in? Superb region for beer.

Since Dalglish spent Walker's millions to buy the Premiership his star has waned. He started well with a Newcastle team that had just blown the league under Keegan but, from what I recall, lost the players' respect and they have declined, never to recover since (not all his fault obviously).

His spell stewarding John Barnes at Celtic was a disaster and he had to take sole charge where he did little of note. He then managed to get nearly a million quid from Celtic after he left which left me with the impression that he had no dignity and should have accepted that he hadn't done a good job.

I think he's got a reputation for being abrasive and belligerent and he makes Stan look articulate by comparison.

If Dalglish was so good why has he done nothing in club management since Celtic? There were plenty of examples in his latter years as a club manager that he was flaky, lazy and not capable of reproducing his past success.

I fully accept your point that the list of candidates isn't huge, but we should look to people with recent experience and only once these guys are ruled out should we consider the old-school guys who nobody else will hire.

Exactly theres a reason why all these managers are out of work for a long time....THEIR TIME HAS COME & GONE....why is ireland been linked to a plethora of has-beens! Its ridiculous. With the money we're supposedly offering we should be able to attract a higher quality of manager.

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 1:33 PM
Does 6 months as Celtic caretaker manager wipe his record clean?
I am not going to make a case for Dalglish.
But a 4 time manager of the year record up to 1997 isn´t bad.
The words of Houghton may be relevant, does he really want the job bad enough?I think Dalglish's commitment would be highly questionable. and I have reservations about his integrity too. I think Dalglish has to carry part of the can for the shambles that was John Barnes' tenure.

Could he be good? Possibly, just as Venables could be. Should we look to other candidates first? Definitely, in my opinion.

youngirish
05/12/2007, 1:36 PM
Question my sanity if you will but O'Leary the original favourite looks a far more attractive proposition than many of the names now being linked with the job.

I'd take O'Leary in an instant over Dalglish, Souness or Venables tbh. I think despite all his whingeing he'd do a far better job. The main thing I'd worry about is his relationship with some of the players.

gustavo
05/12/2007, 1:37 PM
the premiership with two different teams, think you'll find thats not true....He won the football league with liverpool and the premiership with blackburn....So he has league titles then, howard kendall has two, do ypu want him then?? NOT A CHANCE!
Its about time ireland broke out of the cycle of appointing rinky dink managers!

All aboard, the train to cork is departing!

Jesus , Dunphy uses a phrase once :rolleyes:

geysir
05/12/2007, 1:38 PM
Youngirish, your sanity is questioned almost everytime you post :)

lionelhutz
05/12/2007, 1:39 PM
Dalglish will certainly move up the pecking order now that Houghton has been added to the interview panel. What price is he with the bookies?

Venables - no question

reder
05/12/2007, 3:44 PM
Its ridiculous. With the money we're supposedly offering we should be able to attract a higher quality of manager.

I sincerely hope (know in truth) and expect that King Kenny stays well clear of the job. He has been out of football for many years now supporting his wife Marina through her battle with cancer and helped her setup up her cancer charity.

Some of the nonsense mentioned in public broadcasting and forums like this relating to the appointment is unbelievable. Some of the irish football public really has a high opinion of itself. We are not some super-power nation in terms of football. Our last 2 managers have been a complete novice with no qualifications and a person who had success managing kids in international football and a glorified pub team in club football.

Top level managers are not going to touch the position with a 40 foot barge pole. You can offer all the money in the world lads, the simple fact is the position no longer holds the prestige it once did.

Take you heads out of your backsides and accept it!

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 3:53 PM
He has been out of football for many years now supporting his wife Marina through her battle with cancer and helped her setup up her cancer charity.
I have to say I was unaware that that was why he has been out of football for so long. I had thought he'd been linked with several jobs over the years but maybe these were just rumours.

I'm not expecting a world class candidate. I do think it's fair to voice serious concerns about candidates.

Schlooooomp
05/12/2007, 3:57 PM
I sincerely hope (know in truth) and expect that King Kenny stays well clear of the job. He has been out of football for many years now supporting his wife Marina through her battle with cancer and helped her setup up her cancer charity.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring an aspect of Dalglish's personal life into the discussion, that is a personal choice of his and I respect that but it does not change the fact that he has been out of football full stop. The reasons are immaterial, he made a choice.

Some of the nonsense mentioned in public broadcasting and forums like this relating to the appointment is unbelievable. Some of the irish football public really has a high opinion of itself. We are not some super-power nation in terms of football. Our last 2 managers have been a complete novice with no qualifications and a person who had success managing kids in international football and a glorified pub team in club football.

Exactly, our last two managers have not gotten the results that we would have liked and hence we are expressing our views on this forum in the hope that they may be picked up and acted upon. We know that they have been reported upon, in some cases disparagingly, but none the less our message is getting across to some degree.

I don't think that we have a high opinion of ourselves, no one here has suggested that Ferguson, Wenger, Mancini or Ancellotti should step down and take the Irish job. We are relaistic, we don't want a has been or never was foisted on us, we want someone active in the game recently with a decent record.

Top level managers are not going to touch the position with a 40 foot barge pole. You can offer all the money in the world lads, the simple fact is the position no longer holds the prestige it once did.

I think that you underestimate the draw of money, though I would hope the challenge would appeal to anybody taking the job and not just the money

Ireland4ever
05/12/2007, 3:57 PM

Typical irish attutide, sickens me. Are you an FAI employee by any chance....Sure why dont we pull out of international football, sure whats the point embarrassing ourselves!

What prestige is there managing FC Red Bull Salzburg see Trapattoni.
What prestige is there managing Australia/Russia see Guus Hiddink
...need i go on?

osarusan
05/12/2007, 4:01 PM

Agreed that the job is no longer as prestigious at it was, and it was never all that prestigious, but the candidate most posters on here want is Roy Hodgson, who has just left Finland, before that Viking in Norway, and before that the UAE. He's a top class manager in my opinion, and would be interested in the job (though I fear nothing will come of it). I don't think that is an idea above our station.

And less of the crap about eL teams please. Either your knowledge is limited, or you're WUMming.

ruben_sosa
05/12/2007, 4:17 PM

Irish fans aren't looking for a jose mourinho or an alex ferguson, neither are we looking for a howard wilkinson or a ron atkinson. It's possible to attract a manager with tactical nous, motivational skills and a track record of achievement with limited resources. If Cyprus, Finland, Greece and Croatia can find a good manager, then so can we for **** sake. They just didn't find any of them in ENGLAND.

eirebhoy
05/12/2007, 7:01 PM
Dalglish was on the Real Radio phone in (on Setanta Sports 2) when I flicked over. It was on for 2 hours but don't know if the Ireland job got a mention.

TonyD
05/12/2007, 9:07 PM
. Our last 2 managers have been a complete novice with no qualifications and a person who had success managing kids in international football and a glorified pub team in club football.

!

Listen, you can Fook right off with that crap. (and I don't care if that's attacking the poster.) I'm bloody proud to support that very same "pub team" much more so than I ever will be of supporting Ireland. In fact it's that kind of rubbish that turned me off supporting the national team. And the manager you refer to is the ONLY Irish manager EVER to win a proper trophy with a national team, at any level (Two in the one year, with different age groups if we're counting) and I'll wager will be, in most of our lifetimes. What went against him with the senior team, in my view, was a lot of jumped up little prima donnas who thought they knew better. Plus he hadn't got the options Staunton had (particularly up front) PLUS, he was unfortunate in 2 games against Israel, especially at home, when Ireland dominated the game and should have won comfortably. And OK, I know a lot of people disagree with that view, but it's no reason to sneer at football that's actually played in this country. If anyone wants a reason why we're struggling as a football nation, looking at that kind of attitude wouldn't be a bad place to start.

NeilMcD
05/12/2007, 9:50 PM
Tony I would not even bother rising to an ignoramous like that. To be honest with views like that his opinion does not even matter.

SuperDave
05/12/2007, 10:14 PM
Listen, you can Fook right off with that crap. (and I don't care if that's attacking the poster.) I'm bloody proud to support that very same "pub team" much more so than I ever will be of supporting Ireland. In fact it's that kind of rubbish that turned me off supporting the national team. And the manager you refer to is the ONLY Irish manager EVER to win a proper trophy with a national team, at any level (Two in the one year, with different age groups if we're counting) and I'll wager will be, in most of our lifetimes. What went against him with the senior team, in my view, was a lot of jumped up little prima donnas who thought they knew better. Plus he hadn't got the options Staunton had (particularly up front) PLUS, he was unfortunate in 2 games against Israel, especially at home, when Ireland dominated the game and should have won comfortably. And OK, I know a lot of people disagree with that view, but it's no reason to sneer at football that's actually played in this country. If anyone wants a reason why we're struggling as a football nation, looking at that kind of attitude wouldn't be a bad place to start.

seconded. in fairness, compared with the likes of dalglaish and howard kendall, and numerous others mentioned on here, i'd have brian kerr back tomorrow.

eekers
05/12/2007, 11:39 PM
the fai are offering way more money for the irish job than ever before and that is why the standard of manager we get should be quite a step up than who we've ever got before

RogerMilla
06/12/2007, 6:23 AM
the fai are offering way more money for the irish job than ever before and that is why the standard of manager we get should be quite a step up than who we've ever got before

yes but it wont be if the selection team goes back over old ground and selects one of these has-beens that are on the short list.

Deckydee
06/12/2007, 7:53 AM
Good God this is going to take a long time :(

Noelys Guitar
02/01/2008, 6:07 PM
Just before Kerr was appointed Daglish said he was unwilling to be interviewed for the job. 2/1 means nothing. If he was 1/10 or betting suspended then believe the rumours. It would be 2 years of "you tell me" in a Scottish accent.

eirebhoy
02/01/2008, 6:11 PM
Ciaran, you don't get paid for the more people that open your thread so no need for the stupid title. Anyway, thread merged.

onceahoop
02/01/2008, 6:17 PM
http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/next-ireland-manager/next-permanent-manager

Bookies are going nuts out of nowhere, quoting odds for Daglish at 2/1, press are reporting as a sure thing.

If this turns reality the worst case scenario will have just happened.

They seem to be the only ones going nuts. Can't find anything on some reputable news sites.

Fools and their money. There's €256k plus matched on betfair on the next Irish manager. Most of it based on rumour.

amaccann
02/01/2008, 6:20 PM
The bookies odds have been going nuts left, right and centre for the last two months; at this stage I have no interest in or faith that the bookies represent the man "in the know".

tetsujin1979
02/01/2008, 6:54 PM
Odds tumbling means nothing, what were the odds on Jewell taking the job before he eventually got appointed at Derby?

Den Perry
02/01/2008, 11:39 PM
have i only got one bullet ?

v funny

Den Perry
02/01/2008, 11:43 PM

Why don't you say why?

Most here agree that Coppell and Hodgson are good candidates, so it's not all negatity.

I like Coppell but have my doubts....how he can stand by that Reading defence and possibly the worst keeper in premier league history is worrying....