PDA

View Full Version : Steve Coppell

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 9:22 AM
Well, if it deserves a headline in The Irish Times, and the likes of Howard Kendall can get a thread to himself, then this man certainly does too.

Coppell back in frame for Irish job
Paul O'Hehir
Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Former Everton manager Howard Kendall is interested in the Republic of Ireland job and if appointed would bring Peter Beardsley in as his assistant. However, he is not viewed as a serious contender, unlike Reading boss Steve Coppell who is now back in the frame.

Kendall (61) has made discreet enquiries about succeeding Steve Staunton and could be among a dozen candidates interviewed by 'headhunters' Don Givens and Don Howe.

Terry Venables remains the strong favourite for the role although Gerard Houllier, Liam Brady, David O'Leary, Arie Haan, Graeme Souness and Roy Hodgson - among others - are also in contention.

But Givens and Howe are also expected to talk with Coppell - the former Crystal Palace, Brentford and Brighton boss - who hinted he could soon leave Reading after growing tired of day-to-day management.

The Reading boss was linked to the Ireland job last month and said he would relish international management. However, he quickly distanced himself from comments he made in relation to the Irish post.

But quoted today he suggests a break from the game could soon be on the cards. Should he leave the Premier League club, a stint in international management may suit.

The 52-year-old has been in charge of Reading for four years and orchestrated their promotion to the top-flight for the first time in their history in 2006.

"I can't enjoy management," he told The Sun. "I work all week to win a game. If we win I have an unbeatable high for 20 minutes, but then it's thinking about the next game.

"If we are beaten, it's a bottomless pit. It goes through my mind when I get beat, do I need this?"

Kendall said he put his name forward on the back of Venable's interest as he is adamant he holds a better CV than the former England boss.

"I do think I have a better CV than Terry," said Kendall. "That's what influenced me to go back into it. I thought, 'hang on, I have a better CV than him'."

Kendall made his mark at Everton but has also managed Blackburn, Manchester City and Sheffield United, not to mention Spanish side Athletic Bilbao during the 1980s.

He had three spells at the Goodison Park club before leaving in 1998 for an unsuccessful jaunt with Greek side Ethnikos Piraeus. He lasted just four months before getting the sack.

But that was eight years ago and Kendall has not managed since. He denies he has lost touch with the game and has urged the FAI to scrutinise his CV.

"I've had long enough out of it now and I feel it would be perfect for me and hopefully for them. I've made some enquiries," he said.

"I am in touch with the modern game, I write a column in the local newspaper and I go and watch Premier League football every week.

"I know who I would put in place. If he was interested, the likes of Peter Beardsley, I think he would be superb. I have spoken to Peter and he said he would love to work with me again."

Kendall said he "loved" Irish people and he is looking for a challenge with an "enthusiastic" assistant working alongside him. He is not interested in day-to-day club management.

Bookmakers make Kendall an outside 33 to 1 chance for the job. Coppell, though, represents better value at present odds of 40 to 1.

© 2007 ireland.com

aidz1
05/12/2007, 9:41 AM
i saw on ceefax yesterday that stated that steve coppell may be ready to step down at reading as he believes he has brought them as far as he can.
personally he would be my 2nd choice to take the reins (1st being martin o'neill-but no chance this time for him).
he has done well at quite a number of smaller teams in england bringing them higher up the league as anyime in their respective recent history.
he has done well in cup competitions beating the 'big boys' at times. he also manages a good core of the irish lads at reading.
he certainly would be my preferred pick rather than the names bandied about at thte moment.
perhaps the 40-1 odds may be a backer???

eekers
05/12/2007, 9:54 AM
plusses for coppell:

league managers assocation manager of the year last two years running.
got 3 premier league promotions (one was the highest number of points ever in the league)
finished 3rd in the league with palace, 8th with reading
fa cup final with palace
only 51 but been managing for 23 years

drinkfeckarse
05/12/2007, 9:58 AM
Didn't realise he was 40/1??? If that's right I'll be having some of that. Very credible candidate and one I'd take in a heartbeat.

eekers
05/12/2007, 10:00 AM
Didn't realise he was 40/1??? If that's right I'll be having some of that. Very credible candidate and one I'd take in a heartbeat.

he's down to 20/1 ish in most bookies at the moment

youngirish
05/12/2007, 10:02 AM
Of what's left Coppell and Hodgson (if he's stilll available) are head and shoulders above the other potential candidates. I'd personally take Coppell as I'd say he'd hang around if he was successful. Hodgson seems to have itchy feet when it comes to management similar to the far less capable Terry Venables.

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 10:03 AM
I'm excited by this development.

Funny: the media are more than happy to quote Kevin Doyle & Stephen Hunt as being excited by Venables. I'd imagine it goes without saying they'd prefer Coppell, but would they ask them for an opinion?

Tuff Paddy - get down to the Madejski and ask them.

Dr. Ogba
05/12/2007, 10:04 AM
yeah if we failed to get Hodgson then Coppell would deffo be my second choice. Great record with lesser teams, has the respect of some of the Irish lads already and likes to play the game properly. I think he'd be good at keeping the prima-donnas grounded aswell....

irishfan86
05/12/2007, 10:05 AM
Of what's left Coppell and Hodgson (if he's stilll available) are head and shoulders above the other potential candidates. I'd personally take Coppell as I'd say he'd hang around if he was successful. Hodgson seems to have itchy feet when it comes to management.

Agreed, I really hope Coppell gets an interview, who else could you pick?

I'd love Hodgson as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if our headhunters didn't even know that he was still available for international management.

eekers
05/12/2007, 10:07 AM
yep those two and jol are the only serious gettable candidates i see being interviewed

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if our headhunters didn't even know that Hodgson was still available for international management.True, but it'd be unforgivable to think that. My cynical guess is that they'll hide behind the incorrect public perception that Hodgson is unavailable.

eekers
05/12/2007, 11:48 AM
everyone should be seen as available whether they're in a job or not. its like a club only signing players available on free transfers!!

back to coppell his granny is irish! thats it sorted then i think

Dodge
05/12/2007, 11:58 AM
I've backed Coppell for the England job. by far the best candiate for the Ireland job IMO

Noelys Guitar
05/12/2007, 12:18 PM
I would have Coppell over any of the other candidates if he truly wants the job. Although I can't see him or any top manager putting themselves through this farce of a selection committee. I believe this is what happened with Jewell. He was'nt offered the job and had no interest in going through an interview with a committee. I can't see Houllier or Hodgson agreeing to do interviews with a 3-man committee either. And then to be told that the 3-man committee does not have the final say on who becomes manager.

elroy
05/12/2007, 12:24 PM
I think one essential quality we require in our new manager is the proven ability to consistently get the best out of players who would not be regarded as the most talented and to have the team perform at a level greater than the sum of the parts.

I think Hodgson has proven that he is capable of this as has Coppell.

eirebhoy
05/12/2007, 12:40 PM
I'd take Coppell in a second tbh.

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 12:43 PM
I would as I think he's a super candidate. I also think he'd qualify under Tetsujin's expected criterion, i.e., that the FAI will go for the candidate least likely to be disapproved of by a lot of people.

tetsujin1979
05/12/2007, 12:52 PM
I would as I think he's a super candidate. I also think he'd qualify under Tetsujin's expected criterion, i.e., that the FAI will go for the candidate least likely to be disapproved of by a lot of people.
don't forget the big one - he's not Terry Venables.

Deckydee
05/12/2007, 1:00 PM
Yes my second favourite. I mentioned Dalgish as my favourite in another post.

Would he be that good though, i guess time will tell

BradyIsMyHero
05/12/2007, 3:36 PM
Interviewed recently on Sky after Reading were tonked by Arsenal, Steve Coppell was asked to what he attributed the defeat.

Thinking for a second or two (as he does), he said "...Arsenal were better than us"

We could do with an honest manager, for a change

TonyD
05/12/2007, 9:38 PM
:D
Well, if it deserves a headline in The Irish Times, and the likes of Howard Kendall can get a thread to himself, then this man certainly does too.

Coppell back in frame for Irish job
Paul O'Hehir
Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Former Everton manager Howard Kendall is interested in the Republic of Ireland job and if appointed would bring Peter Beardsley in as his assistant. However, he is not viewed as a serious contender, unlike Reading boss Steve Coppell who is now back in the frame.

© 2007 ireland.com

Peter Beardsley :D I mean seriously. A great player, but....:D

Wolfie
06/12/2007, 8:24 AM
I think most would be happy if Coppell got the job - particularly considering some of the supposed alternatives that are reportedly in the frame.

Many of the supposed alternatives are into their 60's with their best days behind them - if they ever had any in the first place. The amount of has-beens and never were's emerging from the undergrowth is staggering.

As mentioned previously, Coppell is still relatively young but has 23 years of managerial experience, usually with limited resources and has had some successes during that period.

He is respected within the game and I'd imagine would have a network / working relationship established within the leagues where all of our players are currently situated.

A minor point but I mention this in relation to how a good working relationship and line of communication between an international manager and the club managers where the players are based doesn't do any harm.

The only minor concern I'd have would be in relation to his current hunger to succeed. The quotes attributed to him suggest a man who needs to take a complete break and recharge the batteries. International management is obviously less of a day to day role but attitude is an important factor.

tetsujin1979
06/12/2007, 2:29 PM
Coppell to stay at the Madejski: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2949228,00.html

"I find that I did an article and we were just chatting towards the end and that's where 'I will take a break soon' came out," Coppell told Sky Sports News"I was referring to the future not a specific time in future"

Wolfie
06/12/2007, 4:08 PM
Coppell to stay at the Madejski: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2949228,00.html

Once again, fortune vomits on our hopes :( :mad:

Jerry The Saint
06/12/2007, 4:48 PM

"I find that I did an article and we were just chatting towards the end and that's where 'I will take a break soon' came out," Coppell told Sky Sports News"I was referring to the future not a specific time in future"

He was talking about going for a cuppa :D

Drumcondra 69er
06/12/2007, 6:58 PM
He was talking about going for a cuppa :D

Nah mate. It was a kit kat! ;)

irishfan86
07/12/2007, 6:24 AM
The best part was when he was asked about becoming manager of England, and he said, they keep putting an "O" on the end of my name in the papers!!!

pateen
07/12/2007, 11:11 AM
Peter Beardsley :D I mean seriously. A great player, but....:D

Ugly as a bug of hammers :D

Stuttgart88
07/12/2007, 11:56 AM
In fairness, we owe something back to Beardsley for all those shots he put over the bar in Stuttgart.

Stuttgart88
18/12/2007, 9:29 AM
Capable Coppell a worthy candidate
Andrew Fifield

On Soccer: English football is always in danger of collapsing under the weight of its own self-importance, but last week it may well have reached critical mass.

As if the frenzy surrounding the appointment of "Fab" Fabio wasn't enough, we then had to endure Sky's insufferable smugness as they promoted "Grand Slam Sunday" with all the hysterical gusto of a heavyweight boxing promoter. All Richard Keys needed was a Mr Whippy haircut and some chunky jewellery and he could have passed for Don King.

There is a very obvious irony to all this - namely that one of the reasons England need Capello's services is because their so-called golden generation proved nothing more than an over-hyped media artifice - although don't expect anyone to notice. Self-awareness is not exactly an English strong point.

At times like this, give thanks for men like Steve Coppell. There is no more effective antidote to the Premier League's pomposity than Reading's manager, whose tone rarely rises above the laconic. What's more, he speaks with the good sense fostered by one of the most successful, and underrated, careers in management.

If the FA had shown a shred of imagination, it might have been Coppello, rather than Capello, beginning his reign as England head coach this week. But England's loss might yet be another's gain: there is still a job going in Abbotstown, where the FAI are continuing to deliberate over a replacement for Steve Staunton.

After the chaos that accompanied Staunton's ill-fated tenure, Ireland need a steady hand and a level head and Coppell has both. He long since realised that football at the coal-face is no place for dreamers: when he embarked on his career at Crystal Palace in the mid-1980s, he harboured hopes of making his bunch of journeymen play football the Manchester United way. A five-goal drubbing by rough and ready Wimbledon soon exploded that fantasy and Coppell soon saw the light.

"They gave us the ultimate lesson," he recalled. "If you can't innovate, imitate: we became more direct."

Palace duly became an even more spiky version of their south London neighbours and Coppell was rewarded with an FA Cup final appearance, third place in the old First Division and a clutch of England international players.

Football has changed since then, of course. You only need to stand next to one of Arsenal's beefcakes to understand that the best teams are now able to marry muscle and guile, but Coppell - a graduate in economics history - is intelligent enough to adapt his own managerial methodology to the demands of the modern game.

Reading would never be classed as great entertainers but neither are they cloggers. They have speed, skill and subtlety up front but still possess the sort of ball-winners who make opposing strikers go weak at the knees. It is a simple formula that has turned a grey blur of a football club into a Premier League force.

Coppell's penchant for transformation - he achieved similarly miraculous results at Brentford and Brighton - should make the FAI even more determined to lure him across the water. Shay Given and Robbie Keane may be 24-carat professionals, but the rest of the squad is made from base metals and only a master-alchemist like Coppell can hope to achieve results with such resources.

There is also every indication that he would be open to offers. Coppell has already spoken of being weary of club management and suggested he could take a sabbatical from football when his Reading contract expires in 2009.

Ireland would not be strange soil to the Reading supremo. When Coppell joked last season that he only made Irish scouting trips for the Guinness, nobody was fooled. He has long plundered the country for its footballing resources, first with Palace and then with Reading.

His academy director Eamonn Dolan alerted him to the availability of Kevin Doyle, who was signed along with Shane Long, and only last year he raided Cork again for Alan Bennett.

The one doubt which still shrouds Coppell is his willingness to deal with the froth and nonsense that accompany the position of a national coach. All his best work has been at clubs who drift beneath the media's radar and his critics are never slow in pointing out that he lasted just 33 days at Manchester City.

But to dwell on these concerns would be desperately unfair. It is true that Coppell dislikes the peripheral irritations of management - the press briefings and being hassled by agents - but his passion for football is undimmed and, despite his public utterances at the time, it was not pressure that drove him out of City.

Coppell remains an outsider. In job hunts, it is often those who shout loudest who laugh longest and Coppell's steadfast refusal to inflate his public profile could count against him. But wouldn't it be refreshing for the Quiet Man to get his chance on the international stage?

© 2007 The Irish Times

livehead1
18/12/2007, 10:09 AM
Would love it to happen, maybe if his contract was due to expire in 2008 it would be more possible. However, whenever asked he has said "no", normally in these circumstances a reply would have been "i haven't been contacted" or "i have a job to do here"

osarusan
18/12/2007, 10:11 AM
If the FA had shown a shred of imagination, it might have been Coppello, rather than Capello, beginning his reign as England head coach this week. But England's loss might yet be another's gain: there is still a job going in Abbotstown, where the FAI are continuing to deliberate over a replacement for Steve Staunton.

That's a bit of an exaggeration I'd say.

No doubt Coppell is a quality manager, but to say hiring Capello ahead of him is a mistake goes a bit too far.

That said, I hope England's decision is Ireland's gain, as I'd be very happy with Coppell as Irish manager.

citizenerased
18/12/2007, 10:51 AM
please let coppell get the job...

DmanDmythDledge
18/12/2007, 1:25 PM
Interview with Coppell a few weeks ago from Dail Telegraph- very good read.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/12/01/sfnwin101.xml

Most of the flaws that he points out regarding the structure of English football can also be said for football in this country so I doubt he would be interested in managing us.

NeilMcD
18/12/2007, 1:58 PM
I dont buy into the whole just cause you played or worked with somebody you are going to favour them, i.e. Howe and Venables etc but I think Houghton was at Palace when Coppell was there.

tricky_colour
18/12/2007, 5:33 PM
Interviewed recently on Sky after Reading were tonked by Arsenal, Steve Coppell was asked to what he attributed the defeat.

Thinking for a second or two (as he does), he said "...Arsenal were better than us"

We could do with an honest manager, for a change

Ha ha I bet that stumped the interviewer :D
Must have been the last answer he was expecting.
I'd love him to take the job but I don't think he would be interested whilst Reading is in the Premiership. It would be a double edged sword in a way if he took the job when you look as the number of Irish players who have flourished at under him at Reading.