PDA

View Full Version : Howard Kendall

OwlsFan
04/12/2007, 3:06 PM
Kendall keen on Ireland job

Paul O'Hehir

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Howard Kendall has thrown his hat into the ring for the Republic of Ireland job. And should the FAI appoint the former Everton boss he will bring Peter Beardsley in as his assistant.

The 61-year-old has made discreet enquiries about succeeding Steve Staunton and will be among a dozen candidates interviewed by 'headhunters' Don Givens and Don Howe.
Terry Venables remains the strong favourite for the role although Gerard Houllier, Liam Brady, David O'Leary, Arie Haan, Graeme Souness and Roy Hodgson - among others - are also in the frame.

Kendall made his mark at Everton but has also managed Blackburn, Manchester City and Sheffield United, not to mention Spanish side Athletic Bilbao during the 1980s.

He had three spells at the Goodison Park club before leaving in 1998 for an unsuccessful jaunt with Greek side Ethnikos Piraeus. He lasted just four months before getting the sack. But that was eight years ago and Kendall has not managed since. He denies he has lost touch with the game and has urged the FAI to scrutinise his CV.

"I've had long enough out of it now and I feel it would be perfect for me and hopefully for them. I've made some enquiries," he said.
"I am in touch with the modern game, I write a column in the local newspaper and I go and watch Premier League football every week.
"I know who I would put in place. If he was interested, the likes of Peter Beardsley, I think he would be superb. I have spoken to Peter and he said he would love to work with me again."
© 2007 ireland.com

elroy
04/12/2007, 3:09 PM
Dont remember so many people putting themselves forward the last time out, so maybe its a good sign that so many are. However, Im not sure about this guy, it seems very strange that all of a sudden after ten years he wants back in. There a better candidates out there imo.

Bondvillain
04/12/2007, 3:10 PM
No , ta.

Probably , statistically, a more sucessful manager than Venables and from a similar era, but equally unappealing to me.

Thanks all the same.

OwlsFan
04/12/2007, 3:24 PM
Not sure why Souness should be mentioned above. He would surely be more interested in the Scottish job if he wanted international football management.

Realistically is it just down to Venables, Hodgson and O'Leary?

MojoPin
04/12/2007, 3:47 PM
hodgson all the way

Dr. Ogba
04/12/2007, 3:59 PM
its a bizarrely random name to pop up....and why the hell would we care if Peter Beardsley was being lined up as assistant??? sure nobody would even be able to bloody understand him for starters!!!

centre mid
04/12/2007, 4:14 PM
Hes getting a good deal on red wine from O'Briens

Torn-Ado
04/12/2007, 4:22 PM
no thanks

Flawless
04/12/2007, 4:50 PM
This is just some sort of Joke, really...

OneRedArmy
04/12/2007, 4:53 PM
Sublime and ridiculous are two of the words that immediately spring to mind....

citizenerased
04/12/2007, 5:19 PM
joke...no way...the applicants are getting more commical

Maroon 7
04/12/2007, 5:26 PM
I thought he was dead.

dodgycanadian
04/12/2007, 5:37 PM
I read hodgson took some sort of position with inter milan

Poor Student
04/12/2007, 6:09 PM
I thought he was dead.

When they read out the words "Former Everton boss Howard Kendall" on the Six One news, I honestly expected them to be followed by "has died".:eek:

tetsujin1979
04/12/2007, 6:44 PM
Kendall was just on Off The Ball on NewsTalk.
erm, let's just say he didn't do himself any favours

viagogo
04/12/2007, 6:45 PM
Think last time Howard Kendall managed Everton he was hitting the drink so hard that Gary Speed had to pick the team. He sounds perfect.

eekers
04/12/2007, 7:07 PM
ah kendall what a legend, said he only became in interested once terry venables was put forward. he reckoned he has a better cv than venables and if venables is been considered then he should too!!

NeilMcD
04/12/2007, 7:11 PM
I read hodgson took some sort of position with inter milan

are you just making a random comment in a random thread. Bizarre. Check the thread on Hodgson and you may find the answer to this.

stojkovic
04/12/2007, 7:39 PM
No Thanks.

The Legend
04/12/2007, 7:46 PM
how about Ron Atkinson, he also managed a big team in the 80s!

Sligo Hornet
04/12/2007, 7:56 PM
Jaysus.....what a "Dream Team"...a "Dead" man and " Quasimodo":eek::D

Flawless
04/12/2007, 9:43 PM
how about Ron Atkinson, he also managed a big team in the 80s!

Come on now, lets not take the mick out of the size of the Man Yoo players during the eighties, it was their lifestyle!!;)

geysir
04/12/2007, 10:28 PM
Think last time Howard Kendall managed Everton he was hitting the drink so hard that Gary Speed had to pick the team. He sounds perfect.
Is he partial to the odd drink?
Listening to the radio "interview" I thought he sounded like a punch drunk ex-boxer. I don't know why but I felt embarrassed for the man.
He´s probably looking for reasons then to drink himself to death with applying for our job.

backstothewall
04/12/2007, 10:46 PM
Prince was big in the 80's. Why is he not being considered, and Alf Ramsey has a great record at international level.

NeilMcD
04/12/2007, 10:49 PM
Prince was fantastic a few months ago in London too and he played 21 nights in a month. Maye he is the man.

Jerry The Saint
04/12/2007, 11:24 PM
Surprised Kendall is only 61 actually (3 years younger than Terry Venables) - didn't realise he was at his managerial peak when he was in his 30s, early 40s.

The way he announced his candidacy should tell the FAI and the other dozen or so Venables supporters in the country something.

If Terry Venables can manage Ireland so can I! :eek:

Howard Wilkinson
George Graham
Kenny Dalglish
Graham Taylor
David Pleat
Bobby Gould
Big Ron, of course
Dave Bassett
Billy Bonds
Mike Walker
Lennie Lawrence
Keith Burkinshaw
Tommy Docherty

All have to fancy their chances now.

Ron Saunders anyone?

eekers
04/12/2007, 11:35 PM
Prince was fantastic a few months ago in London too and he played 21 nights in a month. Maye he is the man.

we'd never be able to afford his image rights

stojkovic
05/12/2007, 12:34 AM
Mike Walker

:D:D:D

Absolute legend. Done well with a small town club. Beat Bayern Munich. Got big contract with Everton. Made a complete ballacks of it. Got a massive pay off. Set for life. Retired. Fcuking legend.

RogerMilla
05/12/2007, 7:08 AM
no , next question.

elroy
05/12/2007, 8:35 AM
He was absolutely appalling on newstalk last night, clueless about the team, the players. Surely if you're putting your name forward for a job have a decent bit of research done first.

geysir
05/12/2007, 10:38 AM
He sounded clueless full stop.
You wouldn't be too fussy if a top coach is interviewed, talked sense but could only name one player.

BradyIsMyHero
05/12/2007, 10:49 AM
Howard Kendall was a great manager in the 1980s at Everton, but that was the pinnacle of his career (PS - he was the last English manager to win a European trophy !!)

Past it now, sadly.

Why don't they cut out all the shanannigans and just give the job to Liam Brady

eekers
05/12/2007, 11:05 AM
Howard Kendall was a great manager in the 1980s at Everton, but that was the pinnacle of his career (PS - he was the last English manager to win a European trophy !!)

Past it now, sadly.

Why don't they cut out all the shanannigans and just give the job to Liam Brady

because he's working in an admin job at arsenal, barely a step up from a conelayer at walsall

tetsujin1979
05/12/2007, 12:30 PM
because he's working in an admin job at arsenal, barely a step up from a conelayer at walsall
don't think it's an administration position, isn't he involved with player development?

Schlooooomp
05/12/2007, 2:39 PM
Only difference between Kendall and venables, is that venables has managed to maintain an unsuccessful presence in the game while Kendall has maintained no presence at all. To me it just shows how ludicrous considering venables is.

Thanks for showing an interest Howard, don't call us, we'll call you!

Schlooooomp
05/12/2007, 2:44 PM
don't think it's an administration position, isn't he involved with player development?

I have stated this on the Brady thread previously but if Brady was serious about managing the Irish senior team then why not get a senior job at club level a couple of years ago, or maybe even go for a job managing an African or Asian country.

tetsujin1979
05/12/2007, 2:47 PM
Thanks for showing an interest Howard, don't call us, we'll call you!

I'd prefer it if he was told "Don't call us, we won't call you either"

pete
05/12/2007, 2:56 PM
Heard interview on Newstalk. Car Crash Radio :eek:

The longer the Ireland job is available the more bizarre candidates emerge.

Drumcondra 69er
05/12/2007, 3:01 PM
Heard interview on Newstalk. Car Crash Radio :eek:

The longer the Ireland job is available the more bizarre candidates emerge.

Anyone got a link? Chances are he was locked.

Stuttgart88
05/12/2007, 3:02 PM
I'd prefer Felicity Kendall.

geysir
05/12/2007, 3:18 PM
Anyone got a link? Chances are he was locked.
Lets be kind and just say that I've heard Shane McGowan talk with more clarity.

BradyIsMyHero
05/12/2007, 3:32 PM
Howard K has been off the jar for a number of years (though he might be better off going back on it)