PDA

View Full Version : "Currently Active Users"

osarusan
04/12/2007, 2:43 AM
I was just wondering, when you see the list of active viewers online now, does it mean users who are actually viewing the site right now, at this moment, or does it just mean they are online right now, and haven't logged out of foot.ie.

I, for one, never log out, and have my settings to remember my username and password, so when I access the site, I never have to sign in. Does that mean from the moment I access the internet, my username will be listed as one of the "currently active viewers" or do I actually have to be on the site itself for that to happen?

No real reason for the question, it is just that some users seem to be on the site for hours in a row, and it seems difficult to be doing that during work hours.

theworm2345
04/12/2007, 4:28 AM
I think it measures it by when you click on the site somehow. The admin can set it to a certain amount of minutes (15, 30, 45, 60, etc.) and if there is a guest (including a Search Bot from a search engine) or member who clicks it will show up down there. Generally you can click Currently Active Users and it tells you how long ago that member was active. For whatever reason, dahamsta has disabled that for this board.
http://www.foot.ie/online.php

Dodge
04/12/2007, 9:35 AM
No real reason for the question, it is just that some users seem to be on the site for hours in a row, and it seems difficult to be doing that during work hours.

poor naive Mr Monkey...

anyway its users who have the site open. Some may have it open in the background (counted as viewing homepage or whatever)

http://foot.ie/online.php
You can see who's reading whaat thread here...

Sheridan
04/12/2007, 9:42 AM
I can't, is it mods only? Not that I'm particularly bothered...

gustavo
04/12/2007, 10:02 AM

At work I would usually have a tab open with this site on it , might not neccesarilly be looking at it all the time though

Dodge
04/12/2007, 10:02 AM
Mmm maybe. Thought it was open to all. Sorry

DmanDmythDledge
05/12/2007, 10:13 PM
I think it only shows user who have been active in the last 15 minutes. So even if you have it open in your browser and haven't clicked anything you will show as offline.