PDA

View Full Version : Derry City and their withdrawel from the IL.

A face
26/05/2003, 11:30 PM
Part 1

I have said a few times in the past that I would tell you about Derry City’s exit from the IL. So here are the facts. Not a bias slant, just the facts and the events that led up to our withdrawal from the Irish League. Make of it as you will.

Many reasons have been given here as to why Derry City play their football in the eL rather than the IL. Some are close to the truth while some others are so far out you wonder where it comes from. So if you bear with me I’ll do my best to explain the reasons why we did end up out of the IL.

First let me take you back prior to the ‘troubles’. Whenever we played a cup game against a Belfast team, if it went to a replay, it would inevitably have to be played in Belfast. It took Derry years and years of arguing with the IFA about the unfairness in that before the IFA climbed down. However instead of these games being played in the obvious choice of Coleraine, the games were played in Ballymena, which is about 2/3 way to Belfast.

In 1964 we won the cup and thus qualified for Europe. In the first round we played Steaua Bucharest and were beaten 5-0 on aggregate. That same year we won the league, and that meant that the following year we would be back playing in Europe. This time we drew the Norwegian team FK Lynn. In the first game we were beaten 5-3 in Oslo. The return leg in the Brandywell was played in very bad weather. It had rained incessantly from the previous day, but that didn’t stop a full house watch Derry City win 5-1 and be the first team in the IL to win a two legged European Cup tie. The fans went home drenched, but delighted, what they didn’t know was that there were forces at work out there, who would deny Derry their night of glory.

In the next round Derry drew Belgium champions Anderlecht. As soon as the draw was made, the IFA let it be made known that the Brandywell pitch would be inspected before the game would be allowed to be played. Only six members of the committee turned up, and on the night the IFA debated the issue, they refused to let the Derry City representative attend the meeting, The committee recommended to the European Union that Derry City be banned from playing their home games at the Brandywell. Derry of course reacted in anger and said, “No Brandywell, No match.”
Now Anderlecht visited the Brandywell and said they had no bother with the Brandywell pitch. One of their officials had claimed that in another Eoropean game, they had played on a pitch of cinders. The EU had no problems with Derry playing at home, they said it was up to the IFA. The IFA stood by their decision, and after the first leg in Belgium, where Derry were beaten 9-0, they withdrew from the competition. What was so angering was the fact that the year before when Derry played Steaua and were beaten, the Brandywell wasn’t a problem, but as soon as they won a game they were banned by their own association. A first in the history of European football.

By 1969 trouble had erupted all over the North , British troops had entered Derry to restore calm. Because of the ban on the RUC and British military entering the Bogside, the IFA banned all games at the Brandywell, because they couldn’t be policed adequately. Derry played 10 successive games away from home and the club lost a lot of revenue.

A face
26/05/2003, 11:30 PM
Part 2

Harry Cavan made a statement saying that there was no bias towards Derry City, and that they could again play in Europe, as soon as their ground was brought up to standard. However he was not prepared to tell anyone what that standard was.
On Sept 25th the IL vetoed a Gold Cup against Ards. The Derry Citizens Action Committee guaranteed they would provide stewards for the game, and Ards to their credit, said the would play, but the IL wouldn’t listen. On Oct 18th Derry played their first home game against Ards, in the IL. But when Derry drew Linfield in the semi-final of the cup, Derry were amazed to be told that they had to travel to the Oval for the game. A very low gate of £900, showed how angry the Derry supporters were. The game was marred by hooligans from a section of the Linfield support, who poured into the empty seats in the main stand, and abused Derry fans with sectarian ranting. For the record, Linfield won 2-1.
Derry’s home league game against Linfield, was moved by the IFA to Coleraine. The reason given for that was that their MIGHT be repercussions against the Linfield supporters, for their behaviour in the cup-tie. And to rub it in, the IFA ordered Derry to pay Linfield £75, guaranteed to away teams. The gate was only £70, and of course Derry lost heavily. So the disgraceful behaviour of the Linfield hooligans was rewarded by the IFA.

The following season, The Security Council banned home games against the Glens and Linfield. This again angered Derry, for they found it incredulous that they were being told, that it wasn’t safe for Glentoran and Linfield supporters to come to the Brandywell, but it was ok for Derry supporters to go to Windsor and East Belfast. Derry played six away games before they played their first home game at the Brandywell.

On Nov the SC amazingly decided that Derry should play Linfield in Windsor Park. Derry refused to travel, as they said their players would be at risk, and couldn’t accept that their players were in no danger. The Irish League Rules Revision Committee (there’s a mouthful) accepted Derry’s reason for not travelling. But then ordered Derry to pay Linfield £300 and awarded the 2 points to Linfield.. Amazing. But just another nail in the coffin.

Again Linfield were Derry’s opponents in the semi-final of the cup, but this time the IFA relented and played the game at Coleraine. This was Derry’s last cup game against Linfield, For the record Derry won 1-0.
Derry faced Distillery in the final, and a major shock was, that Windsor was appointed as the venue. No amount of protest would budge the IFA, they were implacable, so under duress Derry went ahead with the game.
This match became known as ‘The Silent Final’, Derry sold only 150 of 2000 stand tickets. What a contrast from the 28000 who watched the 1964 final against Glentoran. Harry Cavan also let it be known, that if Derry won the Cup they would not be allowed to play in Europe.
Again the IFA showed they had absolutely no sympathy for Derry when they ordered them to play their postponed game against Linfield at Windsor Pk.

In season 70-71, after three successive games at home Derry played Ballymena Utd. During the game, and unnoticed to those who were attending the game, a gang entered

A face
26/05/2003, 11:31 PM
Part 3

the adjoining Showgrounds. There they took the Ballymena team bus, pushed it along the Lone Moor Road and on to Foyle Road, where they set it alight. This was to have disastrous consequences for Derry City, and was the start of the countdown to the demise of Derry City in the IL. Ballymena and their official were magnanimous in their praise of Derry City and their official who got them transport to take them home. Many then jumped on the bandwagon and demanded a ban of all games in the Brandywell. The IFA quickly accepted the ban.

City tried to arrange to have their home games in the mean time played in Limavady, but ‘other interests’ in Limavady let it be known they would not be welcome. Derry then asked if they could use Finn Harps ground in Ballybofey, but that also was turned down, by the IFA.
In the meantime Coleraine, offered their ground, and as Derry had no alternative, they accepted.

When Derry were drawn at ‘home’ against Ballyclare Comrades in the Cup the IFA acted like something straight out of the comics. Coleraine were drawn against Distillery who were also homeless. They were supposed to play the game in Seaview, But Cruasaders were also drawn at home, so Distillery had to play their ‘home’ game in Coleraine, and Derry had to play their ‘home’ game in Ballyclare. Again the hostility of the home crowd was very perceptible.

On Aug 7th, the following season, the security forces and the IFA indicated they were ready to let games resume at the Brandywell. But the IL announced that it was not safe security wise. In other words, they were telling the security forces that they knew better than them. To spotlight the intransigence of the IL was the fact that the Derry City Greyhound Racing Company had commenced ‘the dogs’ and there had been no difficulty getting breeders from all over the north to participate. On Sept 6th Derry were informed officially by the security authorities in the city that as far they were concerned competitive senior soccer could be played at the Brandywell. Derry immediately despatched a letter to the Emergency Committee of the League, informing them of the security decision. Was that the end of it, was it hell.

The Emergency Committee replied to the letter be informing Derry that their registered ground was Coleraine. What a slap in the face. Derry naturally reacted by telling them, that like seven years earlier, “No Brandywell, no match”. The IFA in returned ordered Derry to play their ‘home’ game against Bangor in Coleraine. Derry simply said “No”…..”The next move is up to the League”.
Derry continued to play their away games, but it was getting more futile. Then the IL made an announcement, that a special meeting would be held by the Irish League Management Committee on Oct 7th. What had happened was, that Portadown asked the IL to rescind the ban on matches art the Brandywell

At the meeting a vote was held among the senior teams. For going back to play at the Brandywell were, Portadown (the proposers) Bangor, Cliftonville, Ballymena Utd, and naturally Derry themselves. Against the motion were, Linfield, Glentoran, Crusaders, Ards, Glenavon and unbelievably Distillery. Our neighbours Coleraine abstained

A face
26/05/2003, 11:32 PM
Final part.

That night we found out who really were our friends.

On Friday Oct 13th, the Derry Board met. The decision was to withdraw from the Irish League, and all it’s other competitions. The decision was unanimous.
Derry City remained out of senior soccer for 13 years, until they were welcomed into the eL.

I hope this clears up some of the different opinions that have been knocked around about City’s exit from the IL. I would ask you to think how would you feel if your club was treated as shamelessly as we were. Imagine being banned from playing in Europe by your own association. We the people in Derry know that the reasons for banning not only from Europe, but also from participating in senior soccer was taken for sectarian reasons and for sectarian reasons only. Just look at the amount of trouble there has been in IL grounds over the years, and ask yourself what punishment did the clubs receive.

Now on hindsight we have to say we owe Harry Cavan and his IL a big thank you for forcing us out. Last night we played a derby game against Finn Harps. The stand was packed by Derry City and Finn Harps supporters. We stood together, we cheered our respective teams together, and we left the ground together. That could, and would not happen if we were in the IL.
Now we are being told that things have changed form those days in the IL. Maybe they have, but there is an awful lot of bitterness on this forum directed at us for no other reason, than that we are perceived to be a nationalist team.(This does not apply to all on this forum)
Have they IFA moved on? For years they refused entry to the League to Donegal Celtic and Lurgan Celtic. They were by-passed for inferior teams, and were only allowed entry to the IL on the week they were to go court over it. Why, was it because they also were nationalist teams.
There are good people in the IL and we were treated very well By Billy Mc Cowbrey a few years ago when we played Linfield in a Charity game for one of their players. We of course would love to be playing Portadown and the Glens, but not at the expense of having to do away with our games against Shels, Pats or the Bohs. Maybe in the not too distant future this will happen, but just not at the minute.

Hope I haven’t bored you all, but I just thought there may be some things here that may be of interest to some of you.

Ps Sorry about the way this is posted, but it was too long to get it all in one post

A face
26/05/2003, 11:49 PM
Lads,

All of that came from here .....

http://www.irishleagueforums.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=34;action=display;num=1052950513

I just thought that it might be interesting to know what had happened.

But i really dont want to stir anything up here as i would love to see an All Ireland league.

yur man
27/05/2003, 12:53 AM
i would love to see it too, but i tink like the author, not now. i did wonder about how it all came about though

and i tought the fai were bad :rolleyes:

but i am glad derry are in the eLeague

parnell ranger
27/05/2003, 9:38 AM
An excellently informative post!
We in Athlone have always had a close affinity with both harps and Derry with many of our legends hailing from the area.
I remember when city played their first season in our league.
They rejuvenated a dying league with their massive good humoured crowds and in my opinion were the spark that provided us with the more professional set up we have today.
One question.
Have the I.F.A. ever tried to seduce Derry back into the I.L.?

Cheers

TommyT
27/05/2003, 6:40 PM
Derry were invited back a couple of years ago, they told them where to stick it.

pr things got a lot worse AFTER Derry arrived and their tidal wave had subsided before the improvement started so your theory simply doesn't stand up.

tiktok
27/05/2003, 11:21 PM
i remember the colour derry brought when they first joined, and some of the players they had. da silva, speaks even vaudequin were all class acts. i think they're a great part of the league, especially the supporters,

personally i'm against an all-ireland league, still too political and close to the bone. (and city don't need more round trips to the north, breaking the bank).

A face
27/05/2003, 11:59 PM
Think small = Small league

Think big (or bigger picture at least) = Bigger/better league

Man .... We can all wait for another foot and month or some else to happen and we can barely get over it again.

(Sponcership is an issue right now i might add, and i dont have to remind you that we are sponcered by Guinness)

Do you want the league to progress at all, i am not saying that it has to be All ireland league to progress but all you opinions seem very small minded.

What about the West Cork league .... do you go to any of their games. I'd say it is right up your alley. ;)

Dodge
06/06/2003, 4:42 PM
Football: McCreadie waits on InterToto decision

DERRY City council will meet with Omagh Town officials today to consider their request to stage the home leg of their InterToto Cup game at the Brandywell later this month.

A spokesman for the council said discussions had been going on all week and that they hoped to have a decision by today.

Omagh manager Roy McCreadie is worried that St Julian's Road may not meet UEFA's criteria so approached the local council.

In particular, the Omagh boss was concerned that if the ground failed to pass an inspection on June 17 they would not have time to make any changes.

Omagh play the first leg of their European game against FC Shakhtor in Belarus on Sunday June 22.

The eastern Europeans have had their own difficulties and that game has been switched from Shakhtor's home stadium in Soligorsk to Minsk.

UEFA have already given permission for Omagh to change the game to Derry.

Omagh only accepted the place in the competition after the late withdrawal of Linfield.

Although the stands at St Julian's Road won't cause a problem - terracing is permitted for InterToto Cup games as opposed to Champions' League or UEFA Cup matches - the changing rooms and referees' area would more than likely fail to meet the standard.

"The Brandywell is the best stadium in the area and has housed European games before," said McCreadie.

"It's the perfect venue and we hope the council will look on our request favourably".

From the Belfast Telegraph

goalside
06/06/2003, 7:06 PM
is there any side called londonderry. what team do the "other side" support?

gspain
09/06/2003, 9:19 AM
Originally posted by goalside
is there any side called londonderry. what team do the "other side" support?

Institute play in the premier division of the Irish League and are from the Maiden city. Their ground in Drumahoe is on the east of the city where the majority of the protestant population live.

I think it is unfair to refer to the "other side" for football clubs in Northern Ireland. Derry City have been a non sectarian club throughout their existence and have typically drawn cross community support particularly in their Irish League days. The
location of the ground and the advent of sunday football in the LoI have meant that the support is now mainly RC however they've had protestant directors,managers and players . I believe Derry are also the only club to segregate their own fans during a bad period in the early 70's.

While Irish League football does a minority of sectarian supporters the majority of fans and all of the clubs are non sectarian. Linfield did not have any RC players from 1950-1988.

Indeed anybody concerned re sectarianism in sport on this island can look much closer to home and to another code that gets a very easy rise in the media.

TommyT
10/06/2003, 2:25 AM
Originally posted by gspain
Indeed anybody concerned re sectarianism in sport on this island can look much closer to home and to another code that gets a very easy rise in the media.

HERE HERE.

The only reason there's any debate about sectarianism in nordie football is that neither bogball nor thugby are played by both sides.