PDA

View Full Version : Euro qualifying matches fixed!

Noelys Guitar
01/12/2007, 1:00 PM
Our group included in this?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7122881.stm

sligobhoy67
01/12/2007, 1:03 PM
Our group included in this?

on what basis? evidence? come on you can do better than that

Noelys Guitar
01/12/2007, 1:10 PM
All Eastern or south eastern european sides and teams from the Balkans. One country named is Bulgaria. And Slovakia are mentioned in the article written in Der Spiegel.

eekers
01/12/2007, 1:12 PM
are they not refering to club sides?

Noelys Guitar
01/12/2007, 1:21 PM
are they not refering to club sides?
2nd paragraph of BBC article. Euro 2008 qualifers, Champions league and Intertoto.

Bondvillain
01/12/2007, 1:22 PM
that the vast majority of clubs involved come from countries in eastern and south-eastern Europe

Seems to insinuate clubs alright...

eekers
01/12/2007, 1:33 PM
2nd paragraph of BBC article. Euro 2008 qualifers, Champions league and Intertoto.

one euro 2008 qualifier
not very likely its in our group

Noelys Guitar
01/12/2007, 1:40 PM
one euro 2008 qualifier
not very likely its in our group

The BBc article says Euro qualifiers. Plural. Not one. The Der Spiegel article is suggesting that this report is just the tip of the Iceberg. Did anyone ever see an ex international manager loitering around a Paddy Powers?

Jerry The Saint
01/12/2007, 1:46 PM
on what basis? evidence? come on you can do better than that

Slovakia 6 - 1 Cyprus
Cyprus 5 - 2 Ireland
Wales 1 - 5 Slovakia
Slovakia 2 - 5 Wales

Some VERY odd results in there. Slovakia especially were all over the place

Team Pts Pld W D L GF GA GD
Slovakia 16 12 5 1 6 33 23 +10

Also the fact that Ireland had the reputation of being one of the most organised teams in Europe - the self-inflicted wound of taking on a less-competent coaching staff might look strange to people looking for conspiracies...

osarusan
01/12/2007, 1:46 PM
Perhaps it should be in World Football?

eekers
01/12/2007, 1:52 PM
The BBc article says Euro qualifiers. Plural. Not one. The Der Spiegel article is suggesting that this report is just the tip of the Iceberg. Did anyone ever see an ex international manager loitering around a Paddy Powers?

sorry i got the one from the bangkok post, experts in such matters :) ,i thought it would be in the bbc report as well

http://www.bangkokpost.com/sportsplus/sportsplus.php?id=124135

According to the report, the matches being investigated include 12 in the Uefa Cup qualifying, three in the Champions League qualifying stage, eight in the Inter-Toto (UI Cup), two in the Uefa Cup and one in qualifying for the European Championships.

Stuttgart88
01/12/2007, 1:56 PM
I hope it was Cyprus 5 - Ireland 2. I'd rather be exposed as cheats than just pure crap!

Noelys Guitar
01/12/2007, 1:59 PM
Perhaps it should be in World Football?
Bulgaria are (at the moment) in our WC group. Slovakia was in our Euro qualifying group. Bulgaria allegedly bribed a ref before a WC78 qualifier against Ireland in Sofia. The ref gave outlandish decisions against Ireland that day. So maybe things are coming home to roost against our old friends.

danonion
01/12/2007, 4:45 PM
Not worth considering unless it involves the Czechs or Germans, we'd go through to the finals like Denmark in '92 if one of those sides got chucked out of the competition.

Would you lads really like to see us go to a finals in the summer? We'd be out in the first round without scoring a goal )o:

Cymro
01/12/2007, 4:50 PM
Slovakia 6 - 1 Cyprus
Cyprus 5 - 2 Ireland
Wales 1 - 5 Slovakia
Slovakia 2 - 5 Wales

Some VERY odd results in there. Slovakia especially were all over the place

Team Pts Pld W D L GF GA GD
Slovakia 16 12 5 1 6 33 23 +10

Also the fact that Ireland had the reputation of being one of the most organised teams in Europe - the self-inflicted wound of taking on a less-competent coaching staff might look strange to people looking for conspiracies...

Slovakia were just inconsistent, from what I saw. It'd be pretty hard to fix it so Slovakia scored the goals they did ihn Cardiff, because they were world-class goals.

danonion
01/12/2007, 5:08 PM
Slovakia were just inconsistent, from what I saw. It'd be pretty hard to fix it so Slovakia scored the goals they did ihn Cardiff, because they were world-class goals.

Unless the Wales kit man put teflon on that fella with the dragon shaved in his head's gloves.

backstothewall
01/12/2007, 5:12 PM
Not worth considering unless it involves the Czechs or Germans

Unless Bulgaria were involved and were given a suspension from internationals

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 5:26 PM
I hope it was Cyprus 5 - Ireland 2. I'd rather be exposed as cheats than just pure crap!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but for your assertion to be right, the Irish team would need to have been actors of Oscar nomination proportions. The naked truth is the team was like Jack Schitt or one of his clan ! :D

SuperDave
01/12/2007, 5:53 PM
Unless Bulgaria were involved and were given a suspension from internationals

can't see that happening. they'll just ban the respective people from any involvement with football for a long time.

so if berbatov, petrov and petrov were involved in fixing games...

or they could get a points penalty (a la juve)

onephillyhughes
01/12/2007, 6:29 PM
"None of the 16 finalists at Euro 2008 are involved in the investigation."

zenokelly
01/12/2007, 7:07 PM
can't see that happening. they'll just ban the respective people from any involvement with football for a long time.

so if berbatov, petrov and petrov were involved in fixing games...

or they could get a points penalty (a la juve)

A couple of years back Bulgaria were beaten 5 or 6 - 0 in the qualifiers for the WC by sweden. And I knew a Bulgarian from a job that I'd always be talking about footy with and he said after that match there was some quiet allegations of a bit of fixing back home in Bulgaria. Hopefully this wasn't a one-off and they get caught:D (in the next 9 months!)

But I would presume the teams are more likely to be weak teams from Eastern Europe.

Cymro
01/12/2007, 9:22 PM
Unless the Wales kit man put teflon on that fella with the dragon shaved in his head's gloves.

A possibility, but I doubt even your man Given would have gotten to at least two of the Slovakian goals that day.