PDA

View Full Version : jack of all trades

paul_oshea
30/11/2007, 11:17 PM
the panel, does don givens skills no no bounds....he is a recruitment expert now. What would those lads know about TOR in fairness.

ANyhow its far from a "world class panel", so how can we expect 2 very ordinary individuals to find the best candidate for the Irish job, best candidate based on what exactly?!:rolleyes::eek::(

the mind boggles.

soccerc
30/11/2007, 11:19 PM
the panel, does don givens skills no no bounds....he is a recruitment expert now. What would those lads know about TOR in fairness.

ANyhow its far from a "world class panel", so how can we expect 2 very ordinary individuals to find the best candidate for the Irish job, best candidate based on what exactly?!

the mind boggles.

have you been drinking again? :D

kennedmc
30/11/2007, 11:27 PM
Seriously though - if the FAI asked you to form a panel of 3 people to choose a manager for the Irish team would Don Givens or Don Howe figure in the first 100 people you'd name - the words 'different era' come to mind.........

Oh John how do you sleep at night? Let me guess, In a big bed, with your six year contract,a huge expense acccount and many beautiful women. Lauging at all us muppets no doubt.

DmanDmythDledge
30/11/2007, 11:33 PM
Let me guess, In a big bed, with your six year contract,a huge expense acccount and many beautiful women. Lauging at all us muppets no doubt.
With that ****ing hair do? :eek:

billybunter
01/12/2007, 4:34 AM

eh...Donald Trump?- not exactly blessed with a fine head of Lionel blair, but doesn't spend many nights sleepin solo.......

Noelys Guitar
01/12/2007, 4:57 AM
Howe has said that the decision of picking the new manager will be down to the FAI! And by the way Givens is an employee of the FAI with a dire results record. Anyway lets see what happens now.

Lionel Ritchie
01/12/2007, 8:14 AM

It's a classical reference.:cool:

eekers
01/12/2007, 10:34 AM
Nothing wrong with either per se but the two of them are like for like, there's no balance.

I would have liked to see a panel of an inside man like Don Givens, a tactical expert like Brady or Giles and a recent player who'd like at things from the players point of view like Cunningham.

don howe knows his tactics
and givens played under hodgson
give the lads a chance before to see who they come up with before they're slammed.

the problem is the rumour that the fai will be making a final decision

paul_oshea
01/12/2007, 11:11 AM
Nothing wrong with either per se but the two of them are like for like, there's no balance.

I would have liked to see a panel of an inside man like Don Givens, a tactical expert like Brady or Giles and a recent player who'd like at things from the players point of view like Cunningham.

that makes sense.

tbh though wouldn't you expect the FAI to be making the final decision?! i mean they are the employers at the end of the day!

Ye know, I re-read that post and given the time and what was written it looks like i would be drinking, but i wasn't, honest :D

paul_oshea
01/12/2007, 11:28 AM
i didn't realise this:

http://breakingnews.ie/sport/mhmhidgbidid/

is it set in stone then :/

Bondvillain
01/12/2007, 1:16 PM
If I was running a company, and needed an expert for the purpose of offering his opinion on an appointment to placate the 'shareholders', I would attempt to locate the "Very Best" , even if only as a PR exercise (particularly if my actions in this arena in the past had led to me being percieved as crminally incompetent, and a national embarrassment).

If I had someone in my employ who I considered knowledgeable about such matters, I would consult with them privately to see if the views of the "Very best" headhunted candidates matched that of my long serving employees.

What I would NOT do is make a big stupid song and dance about telling my shareholders that I was going to hire the Very Bestfor this important job, then shuffle about like a gobshyte before doing a quick about face and making a big hullabaloo about hiring someone who already works for me, and who's opinion could be garnered for nothing in the course of his work, along with a man who had a high profile in the English game somewhere in the region of 35 years ago, possibly as an afterthought sop to potential critics.

Don Givens is employed by the FAI. Why are the FAI pretending his new position is anything other than a favour to his employers? Employers who would neither know "new" or "world class" if it ran up to them in Doheny and Nesbitts and bit them on the hole.

Don Givens is most likely a very clever/nice/whatever man, but he is not world class and he is not a new appointment, and the FAI ("Not giving a f*** what you think since the 1921") simply do not care what anyone thinks about their inability to maintain a straight line with their lies..

deadman
01/12/2007, 1:40 PM
Don Givens is employed by the FAI. Why are the FAI pretending his new position is anything other than a favour to his employers? Employers who would neither know "new" or "world class" if it ran up to them in Doheny and Nesbitts and bit them on the hole.

well said ...

and has anyone wondered why bobby robson has been jettisoned????

robson ... is, supposedly, the only man within the process who didnt want venables ... and i heard last week he had been quite vocal in his opposition to venables' appointment ...

tis another delaney solo run ... so we shouldn't give him or the puppet committee a chance ... they've used them all up already

Stuttgart88
01/12/2007, 1:54 PM
and givens played under hodgson
Interesting.

Were they successful?

geysir
01/12/2007, 2:42 PM
Interesting.

Were they successful?
For a wee club they did very well, when Givens was playing (past his twilight years), he played a big part. Afair they had a run or two in the uefa cup. That was before Hodgson was there.
I know Givens had an extended career but hardly extended to Hodgson´s time, he would have been easily 40 y o

Givens coached them (assistant?) and Hodgson coached them. Their paths might have crossed then

eekers
01/12/2007, 2:45 PM
Interesting.

Were they successful?

first season got into the cup final and finished 3rd
second season finished 2nd. then got the swiss job

they finished 10th the year givens was joint manager :p

Stuttgart88
01/12/2007, 2:50 PM
I knew Givens played there but didn't think it was under Hodgson.

eekers
01/12/2007, 3:00 PM
sorry im wrong there.
i misinterputed "When Givens stopped playing he became coach at Neuchatel" i just presumed he stayed at neuchatel
there was a six year break between him playing and coaching.

he came in after hodgson left and should know all about him and will have witnessed at first hand his qualifying the swiss for the world cup

Philly
01/12/2007, 3:03 PM
I wonder if one walks into the fancy new FAI HQ, does this man greet you as a receptionist too?

Seriously, if he was judged by performances he would be sacked, he's gotten the under 21s nowhere.

pineapple stu
01/12/2007, 3:10 PM
One of the few sensible things Tom Humphries ever wrote was about this. To paraphrase, it's fair enough the FAI admitting they know nothing about picking an international football manager and are delegating the responsibility, but how do we know they know enough to pick the people who pick the manager?

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 8:16 PM
eh...Donald Trump?- not exactly blessed with a fine head of Lionel blair, but doesn't spend many nights sleepin solo.......

Yes women are interested in money more than mullets :D

galwayhoop
04/12/2007, 9:13 AM
Givens and Don Howe ffs :mad:

both hired to rubber stamp El fookin Tel as manager!!!!

world class my bollóx.....

they sound more like the set up for the Indoor Masters Tournament than our next World Class appointments....:o

In all reality who would pay El Tel top dollar to manage their team (club or country), we are a complete laughing stock. I mean if the figures in the press are to be believed we will be offering one of the top salaries for an international manager (outside of the very top few nations), and the best we can come up with is two 'has-beens' to appoint a flash 'never was'..... These muppets have absolutely no cop on. Will someone PLEASE shoot the Quiff.... MAXI?????

drummerboy
04/12/2007, 10:49 AM
Journos would have you believe that they should be picking the new manager.