PDA

View Full Version : U21's that make it through

A face
30/11/2007, 10:57 PM
Have to ask this one. How come City's U21s do so well on a consistent basis, for a prolonged period of time but so few of them make it through to the first team? Why cant they make the jump up? what's going on?

Its not like there no talent there, there clearly is. Maybe the A league will be good to help them make the next step but it does raise question marks. If you look at the U21s teams over the last 5 years, where are they now? Its strange that so much effort goes into it at that level and then the first team doesn't get to see any of it?

SÓC
04/12/2007, 3:05 PM
Have to ask this one. How come City's U21s do so well on a consistent basis, for a prolonged period of time but so few of them make it through to the first team? Why cant they make the jump up? what's going on?

Its not like there no talent there, there clearly is. Maybe the A league will be good to help them make the next step but it does raise question marks. If you look at the U21s teams over the last 5 years, where are they now? Its strange that so much effort goes into it at that level and then the first team doesn't get to see any of it?

Our youth set up has produced some great players who have come up through the ranks, even though some left for a while. Others have moved onwards, just a few to come to mind;

Damien Delaney
Gamble
Benno
Hoggy
Leon
Behan
McNulty
Adi
Shane Long
Roy O'Donovan (although he didnt take long to make the step up)
Colm Carroll

and there seems to be a few promising ones coming up though the ranks at the moment

Dodge
04/12/2007, 3:17 PM
You signed some of those from other clubs btw.

razor
04/12/2007, 8:32 PM
You signed some of those from other clubs btw.Long came down from Tipp & Roy came back from Coventry.

Dodge
04/12/2007, 11:55 PM
Sortic came from Birr Town too. Wasn't McSweeney away too

A face
05/12/2007, 8:13 AM
Sortic came from Birr Town too. Wasn't McSweeney away too

A few players came for schoolboys U8's and street leagues. Sure count them all in aswell so :rolleyes:

Dodge
05/12/2007, 11:24 AM
I'm just saying you're going to proclaim a great youth set up as SOC did, you might want to stick with players you have actually produced...

razor
05/12/2007, 12:10 PM
Sortic came from Birr Town too. Wasn't McSweeney away tooLeon was a product of ours who left for Leicester after the whole Colin Murphy fiasco, came back home after completing a sports science degree.

Lim till i die
05/12/2007, 12:16 PM
Colm Carroll played minor with Corbally

SÓC
05/12/2007, 9:23 PM
I'm just saying you're going to proclaim a great youth set up as SOC did, you might want to stick with players you have actually produced...

I see the point but...

I was listing players who developed their game, got coaching etc at City, that we have produced in one way or another

Also every player starts somewhere else. City dont have kids teams ;)

DmanDmythDledge
05/12/2007, 9:26 PM
Also every player starts somewhere else. City dont have kids teams ;)
I thought it was a requirment that every club has a connection with a local schoolboy club? Rovers, Bohs and Pats have their own underage teams, for example, and we have a link-up with Mount Merrion.