PDA

View Full Version : OK, if nobody else is gonna start the "best album of 2007" thread..

Marked Man
30/11/2007, 3:19 PM
...I guess I'll have to.

In spite of what folk are saying on a couple of other threads here, I think 2007 was actually a fairly good year musically. The following are all good albums:

Grinderman: Grinderman
Kinski: Chaos Down Below
Amon Tobin: Foley Room
PJ Harvey: White Chalk (took a few listens, now, but I've warmed to it)
The Fall: Reformation Post TLC (good, though not as good as 2005's "Fall Heads Roll"
Damien Dempsey: To Hell or Barbados (a few week tracks--most notably the "Your Pretty Smile" single, but overall a good album)

Of that bunch, I'd probably put Grinderman as the best album of the year.

I've just gotten a hold of Pole's "Steingarten," which sounds good at first listen, but too early to say for sure whether I'd put it into a "best of" list.

gustavo
30/11/2007, 3:22 PM
havent bought too many albums really but I'd have to go with Favourite Worst Nightmare

Anto McC
30/11/2007, 5:44 PM
Richard Hawley - Ladys bridge

Pauro 76
30/11/2007, 6:08 PM
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times.

What an album.

SligoBrewer
30/11/2007, 9:00 PM
Favourite Worst Nightmare. Brilliant
A Weekend in the City gets an honorable mention.

But personally, its Myths of the Near Future and Favourite Worst Nightmare toss up for me.

gilberto_eire
30/11/2007, 11:24 PM
...I guess I'll have to.

In spite of what folk are saying on a couple of other threads here, I think 2007 was actually a fairly good year musically. The following are all good albums:

The Fall: Reformation Post TLC (good, though not as good as 2005's "Fall Heads Roll"
Damien Dempsey: To Hell or Barbados (a few week tracks--most notably the "Your Pretty Smile" single, but overall a good album)

I've just gotten a hold of Pole's "Steingarten," which sounds good at first listen, but too early to say for sure whether I'd put it into a "best of" list.

not really, id only call ''i dont care'' and ''the city'' bad tracks off the album, everything else is top notch!!

Red-ODea
30/11/2007, 11:28 PM
I think Magic - Bruce Springsteen was pretty great to be honest....

SligoBrewer
02/12/2007, 10:18 AM
I think Magic - Bruce Springsteen was pretty great to be honest....

Anything by Bruce is a given.;)

superfrank
02/12/2007, 10:42 AM
I think I've only bought three albums from 2007 and they're all pretty good.

Prince's Planet Earth and Arcade Fire's Neon Bible are both very good.

My favourite would be Nas' Hip Hop is Dead.

monzo
02/12/2007, 10:53 AM
1. Bluefinger - Black Francis
2. In Rainbows - Radiohead
3. Neon Bible - Arcade Fire
4. Sticking Fingers Into Sockets - Los Campesinos!

Didn't buy that many 2007 albums, however.

Aldini98
03/12/2007, 3:32 PM
...I guess I'll have to.

Jaysus mate, you've a ****e taste in music !

Dr. Ogba
03/12/2007, 3:58 PM
Have been delving into quite a few back catalogues recently so haven't bought too many 2007 albums at all. I think Wilco - Sky Blue Sky deserves a mention though...their show in Vicar street last month also happens to be the best gig i've been to all year...

endabob1
03/12/2007, 3:58 PM
The Editors End has a start Albumn would probably get my vote with honourable mentions for Neil Young Chrome Dreams & Dizzee Rascal's Maths & English

Marked Man
03/12/2007, 9:53 PM
Jaysus mate, you've a ****e taste in music !

Coming from an Interpol fan, I'll take that as a compliment.

Wolfie
04/12/2007, 8:42 AM
Many of my 07 favourites got a mention already ie, Arctics, Kings of Leon etc.

I'd add:

Roots and Echoes - The Coral
The Good, the Bad and the Queen - The Good, the Bad and the Queen

shakermaker1982
04/12/2007, 1:01 PM
Baby 81 - BRMC
In rainbows - radiohead
Shotters nation - babyshambles
Because of the times - KOL (off to see em Friday)
Easy Tiger -Ryan Adams

tetsujin1979
04/12/2007, 2:22 PM
When I was in the States recently, Common won best album at the Hip Hop awards with Finding Forever.
Normally it's not my sort of things, but it's definitely worth a listen.

SligoBrewer
04/12/2007, 8:40 PM

afaik, thats only an ep.

how many songs are on it?

jebus
04/12/2007, 9:39 PM
When I was in the States recently, Common won best album at the Hip Hop awards with Finding Forever.
Normally it's not my sort of things, but it's definitely worth a listen.

I'd recommend it alright, try his second to last album Be if you liked that as well, the guys producing top quality stuff at the moment. As for best album of the year, well it's been pretty poor and the only outstanding album I can think of is LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver, the only quality back to back album of the year, although The Good, The Bad and the Queen, Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, the Shins, Kings of Leon, Wilco, and Bruce all had good ones, plus the Robert Planet/Alison Krauss album really is great

Iorfa
05/12/2007, 10:09 PM
Top 10, in no particular order.

Low - Drums & Guns
Malcolm Middleton - A Brighter Beat
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Okkervil River - The Stage Names
King Creosote - Bombshell
LCD Soundystem - Sound Of Silver
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Battles - Mirrored
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog

shakermaker1982
06/12/2007, 12:07 PM
forgot to add Ere Vulgaris to my list - QOTSA new album.

NavanBohs
06/12/2007, 8:08 PM
Machine Head - The Blackening

Bottle of Tonic
06/12/2007, 11:11 PM
Machine Head - The Blackening

Yeah I was going to mention that too.Last couple of albums have been a real return to form. Saw them in Glasgow recently. Great live, robb flynn is some frontman.

Also,
Primordial - to the nameless dead
Down -III over the under

Any more metal lads?

The Good Son
07/12/2007, 6:48 AM
A good one that I don't think has been mentioned yet -
Hey Venus! - Super Furry Animals.
A compilation and reissue by Cork's finest, Cathal Coughlan, would be up there too-
Daunt Square To Elsewhere - Microdisney
Viva Dead Ponies - The Fatima Mansions

NavanBohs
07/12/2007, 6:15 PM
Yeah I was going to mention that too.Last couple of albums have been a real return to form. Saw them in Glasgow recently. Great live, robb flynn is some frontman.

Also,
Primordial - to the nameless dead
Down -III over the under

Any more metal lads?

I was at the Ambassador show a couple of weeks back, cracking show, also saw them in Donington in June and they put on a hell of a show there too, probably the band I enjoyed most at it. But the intimacy of the Ambassdor just made for an amazing show. I think that was the Glasgow Carling Academy they played yeah? very similar place to the Ambassador, I was there as well last March.

Also got to meet them all (except Dave McClain the drummer) afterwards, was sweet :D

jamie m
08/12/2007, 10:16 PM
saul williams (with trent reznor)- the inevitable rise and liberation of niggy tardust,
great album and its free to download at saulwilliams.com

el-p, il sleep when your dead,
forget all that guns ,cash and women 50 cent crap, this is real hip-hop,

tetsujin1979
09/12/2007, 1:05 AM
The Guardian's best albums of the year: http://music.guardian.co.uk/reviews/story/0,,2223431,00.html
PJ Harvey?? Britney Spears??

Pauro 76
09/12/2007, 1:44 PM
The Guardian's best albums of the year: http://music.guardian.co.uk/reviews/story/0,,2223431,00.html
PJ Harvey?? Britney Spears??

Stereophonics 'Pull The Pin' made the Q Top 50 albums of the year. If a very very average album like that can make the top 50, its been a bad year for music. Nine Inch Nails 'Year Zero' I felt gets an honourable mention...thought Ash 'Twilight of the Innocents' was their best effort yet too.

Beavis
10/12/2007, 12:53 PM
Battles - Mirrored

I really like their sound but the album really dies in the middle and end. Atlas and Tonto are quality but dont think they reach those highs after that.

tetsujin1979
12/12/2007, 12:16 AM
Came home after the pub one night a few weeks back and turned on MTV2 (or one of the music channels, can't remember which one) and "The Wrath of Marcie" by The Go! Team was playing. In my alcohol addled state I thought it was excellent, so I went online and downloaded the album it's from, Proof of Youth.
It's very hard to describe, because nothing out there at the moment sounds quite like it. If you've ever heard Japanese synth-pop, it's something like that, with hip-hop beats.
I honestly didn't know what to make of it the first time I listened to it, but it's really growing on me. If you're looking for something different to check out, I'd definitely recommend giving it a spin.

colster
12/12/2007, 2:35 PM
arcade fire - neon bible
battles - mirrored
broken social scene presents kevin drew - spirit if
go team - proof of youth
radiohead - in rainbows
LCD soundsystem - sound Of silver

gustavo
15/12/2007, 4:25 PM
based on forums recommendation here i went out and got the LCD soundsystem album , hope its good!

stann
15/12/2007, 6:19 PM
It is.
Album of the year for me anyway.

Pauro 76
17/12/2007, 7:22 PM
Maximo Park - Our Earthly Pleasures i reckon is worth a mention.

RogerMilla
19/12/2007, 11:50 AM
"The hold steady" boys and girls in america was by far the best album i heard this year . but maybe it was from last year ?
Also "the national" "the good the bad and the queen" "the view" "the fratellis"

but the hold steady beats the pants off all others , every song a gem.

Dr. Ogba
02/01/2008, 2:11 PM
Don't know if this one was mentioned already but got "The Shepherd's Dog" by Iron and Wine a couple of months back and must say its an absolute grower....definitely one of my favourite's for the year...

Anto McC
02/01/2008, 4:27 PM
The Eagles new one ain't too bad either.

holidaysong
08/01/2008, 8:06 AM

I like your taste. My four favourites right there.

afaik, thats only an ep.

how many songs are on it?

Six. Los Campesinos were definitely my breakthrough band of 2007. They are playing The Village on February 11th - I'd highly recommend it. I seen them in Whelans a few months ago and they were excellent!

bennocelt
08/01/2008, 3:18 PM
Heh, can someone help me here. I read a while back on a few critics reviews of 2007 who mentioned that a good album of the year was some Icelandic bands album. Would anybody here have any idea what they are were called?

Anto McC
08/01/2008, 5:46 PM
Sigur Ros is the band and "heima" is the only album they released in 2007 as far as i know and i think it's a compliation but i'm not too sure.

holidaysong
09/01/2008, 9:07 AM
Sigur Ros is the band and "heima" is the only album they released in 2007 as far as i know and i think it's a compliation but i'm not too sure.

I have the DVD release of it, you'd be better off getting a studio release Bennocelt. Their last album was 'Takk' (2005).

monzo
10/01/2008, 5:53 PM
And Takk is class. If not pretty long. Not necessarily a bad thing though.

Yeah might head to Los Campesinos! since I missed out on the last one. It's on two days after the Black Francis gig in Vicar Street so I might consider hanging around a while longer.

Black Francis has confirmed that he's releasing a new mini-LP called SVN FNGRS within the near future btw, the 3 tracks that I've heard make me very excited about it :)

bennocelt
10/01/2008, 6:14 PM

:)

thanks, needed to know this for a mate