PDA

View Full Version : Time to Start...

Mr A
30/11/2007, 3:01 PM
....thinking about the new season. If the FAI continue with the policy of having derbies the first weekend then the premier fixture list may well look something like this:

Cork City V Cobh Ramblers
Derry City V Finn Harps
Shamrock Rovers V Bohemians
Bray Wanderers V UCD
Drogheda United V St Pats
Galway United V Sligo Rovers

That's some start if they go for it- looking forward to it already :)

(Given that this will probably kick off all the major set piece arguments in the league in one go I reckon we'll get a 50 pager out of this one)

Mr A
30/11/2007, 3:05 PM
For D1 we might have:

Kilkenny V Waterford
Athlone V Longford
Dundalk V Shels
Kildare V Monaghan
Wexford V Limerick

Some of them are a lot more tenuous and there's a lot more room for shuffling in D1- but I reckon Shels Dundalk is a great one to start with.

MyTown
30/11/2007, 3:09 PM
Sligo came to Galway for the season opener last March. They'd hardly repeat that. More likely we'll have to go to Ballybofey or Derry, with Sligo at home to either yourselves or Derry

Sam_Heggy
30/11/2007, 3:11 PM
Imagine the arguments on which is the biggest derby game and which should be shown live.
It obvious its Harps - Derry though. :cool:

mypost
30/11/2007, 3:13 PM
This is not a club-arranged fixture list anymore, so hopefully, there won't be fixture reversals, nor derbies in Week 1, but spread out this time.

Dodge
30/11/2007, 3:14 PM
The Drogheda Pats derby would be on tv obviously

Anyway i reckon it'll just be a reverse of last years fixtures and it'll be announced 2 weeks before the season is due to start

Mr A
30/11/2007, 3:30 PM
I did not bother trying to work out who would be at home- just had a stab at the likely pairings if the FAI continued with having derbies as the first games. I think it's a good idea, and should be kept on.

passinginterest
30/11/2007, 3:42 PM
For D1 we might have:

Kilkenny V Waterford
Athlone V Longford
Dundalk V Shels
Kildare V Monaghan
Wexford V Limerick

Some of them are a lot more tenuous and there's a lot more room for shuffling in D1- but I reckon Shels Dundalk is a great one to start with.

Wexford v Kilkenny
Waterford v Limerick
Dundalk v Monaghan
Athlone v Longford
Shels v Kildare

That's more how I'd see the first division.

Mr A
30/11/2007, 3:56 PM
Yeah, that's certainly better from the derby point of view, but given that the FAI want to maximise crowds on the first weekend so that they can get all excited about the progress being made I stuck Shels and Dundalk together. Also, Waterford and Kilkenny would have a bit of history, so stuck them together too. All good though.

Lim till i die
30/11/2007, 5:00 PM
For D1 we might have:

Kilkenny V Waterford
Athlone V Longford
Dundalk V Shels
Kildare V Monaghan
Wexford V Limerick

Nice one.

It's not even January and I'm depressed :o

Here's how I would do it:

Wexford V Kilkenny
Athlone V Longford
Dundalk V Monaghan
Shels V Kildare
Waterford V Limerick

My logic being that:

Shels and Dundalk will get big crowds regardless of opponent and there is actually a bit of needle between Dundalk and Mons.

Athlone v Longford is a big derby game, possible 2,000 crowd.

It's fairly irrelevant for Wexfords crowd who they play and besides I think most of them consider Kilkenny their derby anyway.*

Waterford v Limerick would be a fairly big game for us historically (cue 1 year old jokes) and one I'd definitely look forward to. I reckon we could bring 150 to 200 down there.

*I'll actually be interested to see Wexfords crowds this season now that the novelty has worn off. If they continue to be mind numbingly awful I genuinely think you could have another (albeit slightly bigger) Kilkenny on your hands.

That is of course assuming Mick Wallace keeps them in the League ;)

Risteard
01/12/2007, 2:06 AM
Pity that City are likely to only get the one trip to Queenstown.

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 8:15 AM
For D1 we might have:

Kilkenny V Waterford
Athlone V Longford
Dundalk V Shels
Kildare V Monaghan
Wexford V Limerick

You'd better with Shels playing Kildare and Dundalk playing Monaghan more Derbylike. Or Waterford v Limerick and Kilkenny V Wexford as listed earlier in the thread

Pablo Escobar
01/12/2007, 9:05 AM
Pity that City are likely to only get the one trip to Queenstown.

I thought we play them there twice!?

Raheny Red
02/12/2007, 5:30 PM
I reckon Shels Dundalk is a great one to start with.

Longford away first day of the season please :cool:

half_full
02/12/2007, 5:37 PM
Don't really think any of the matches are real derbies more like local rivalries, bar Bohs Vs. Rovers of course.

TonyD
02/12/2007, 6:39 PM
Anyway i reckon it'll just be a reverse of last years fixtures and it'll be announced 2 weeks before the season is due to start

Two whole weeks - sure what's the rush ? ;)

onephillyhughes
02/12/2007, 6:55 PM
The Drogheda Pats derby would be on tv obviously

:D

Give us Monaghan away, we owe them ;)

niallsparky
02/12/2007, 8:16 PM
I'd rather not play Rovers in Gameweek 1. Anybody else would be fine though.

don ramo
02/12/2007, 11:54 PM
who cares, it stupid to have all derbies at once anyway, you have to spread them out over a season, i would hope to get city, derry, harps and drogs at home first series of games, whoever you get at home first series you play them at home twice, would be nice to have city first game, they should just get the computer to do it, im not bothered other than to save drivin up the north of the country 4 times, last time was murder

mypost
03/12/2007, 11:04 AM
Sligo is not a long drive for you then. ;)

sparkey
03/12/2007, 11:10 AM
Don't really think any of the matches are real derbies more like local rivalries, bar Bohs Vs. Rovers of course.

Longford v Athlone is most definitely a derby. Just a pity it has to take place in Div 1.:(

Battery Rover
03/12/2007, 11:40 AM
Longford v Athlone is most definitely a derby. Just a pity it has to take place in Div 1.:(

Agree with that. Looking forward to it already so we can do three in a row after our victory in the Shane Brennan Memorial match and the League Cup the season gone by.

Definite crowd of 2000+

btid1
03/12/2007, 2:51 PM
Definite crowd of 2000+

Highly unlikely!

don ramo
03/12/2007, 3:34 PM
Sligo is not a long drive for you then. ;)

not at all:D, anything further is though out, how do you find the drive to cork:cool:

mypost
03/12/2007, 7:09 PM
The hardest part of going to Cobh is the mountaineering required going from the town/station to the ground. :cool:

monkey magic
03/12/2007, 10:10 PM
Highly unlikely!

highly likely actually! people fail to realise just how close to each other distance wise athlone and longford are... there'll be a sizeable contingent at that game that wont be seen near flancare park or lissywollen for the rest of the year...

don ramo
03/12/2007, 11:19 PM
The hardest part of going to Cobh is the mountaineering required going from the town/station to the ground. :cool:

good way to guage your fitness, up all those steps, id be wrecked myself, sure two trips here next year, youll get the hang of it:D

train is easy no bother there, try driving, i was a passenger last time and i was wrecked, i have to drive next time,

btid1
04/12/2007, 11:09 AM
highly likely actually! people fail to realise just how close to each other distance wise athlone and longford are... there'll be a sizeable contingent at that game that wont be seen near flancare park or lissywollen for the rest of the year...

I know exactly how close they are.Maybe a big crowd for the first game for the novelty factor but I still dont think it will hit 2,000.Longford couldnt get that in the Premier when the bigger EL clubs were in town with large travelling supports.Athlone well their average attendance was little more than 500 last year so I doubt it would be four times that even if it is a local derby.