PDA

View Full Version : Johan Cruijff

stojkovic
29/11/2007, 4:36 PM
If we're talking about managers who havent done much for ten years or so and are still young enough (60) how about the Third Best Player in the World Ever.

His managerial record isnt too bad ;)

4 league titles
3 domestic cups
1 European Cup
2 Cup Winners Cups

Although he hasnt managed in ten years he is still very much involved in the game.

And his English is better than most of our players.

PS - I remember Cruijff being the only person who gave us a chance going into Euro88. Everyone else laughed us off.

jbyrne
29/11/2007, 5:40 PM
PS - I remember Cruijff being the only person who gave us a chance going into Euro88. Everyone else laughed us off.

i remember that too. seem to remember ian rush also being quoted widely as saying we would be tough opposition

geysir
29/11/2007, 5:45 PM
Brady and Stapleton were Cruijff favourites.
The Dutch were about the only ones who wondered why it had taken us so long with those players to get to a Finals.

eekers
29/11/2007, 8:17 PM
i thinks he's happy pulling the strings at barcalona
Laporta consults him on all football decisions

Noelys Guitar
29/11/2007, 8:30 PM
Beckanbauer said only 7 of the 8 teams could win the tournament! I can remember thinking we will show you. We would have beaten the Germans if we had held on for a few more mins against the Dutch. Cruijff has always been positive about various Irish teams.

CollegeTillIDie
29/11/2007, 8:33 PM
Johann Cruyff ( English version of spelling) or Franz Beckenbauer[ only if he has his badges otherwise FIFA won't let him!] would be very acceptable people. I still think we should ask Mourinho, Lippi and or Capello. Not all of them can get the England job and until we ask we cannot assume all of them would say NO!

eekers
29/11/2007, 8:40 PM
Johann Cruyff ( English version of spelling) or Franz Beckenbauer[ only if he has his badges otherwise FIFA won't let him!] would be very acceptable people. I still think we should ask Mourinho, Lippi and or Capello. Not all of them can get the England job and until we ask we cannot assume all of them would say NO!

i agree with this
however if we intent to have the likes of don givens and townsend approaching then we're not gonna get them. i really think if had someone like brady on the selection committee we have more chance of getting a big name.

CollegeTillIDie
29/11/2007, 8:43 PM
i agree with this
however if we intent to have the likes of don givens and townsend approaching then we're not gonna get them. i really think if had someone like brady on the selection committee we have more chance of getting a big name.

On another thread it was announced that Givens has not heard from the FAI since the Wales game and Don Howe is not involved. Andy Townsend turned down an approach from the FAI as he revealed on Setanta last night!
So those reports about those people being involved in the selection committee are total Ball-Ox !

Billsthoughts
30/11/2007, 9:21 AM
didnt brady come out and say he didnt have anything to do with the selection process. which is a shame. I think Brady should be heavily involved in the football side of the FAI. Let Delaney look after the sponsorship and the bean counting. The good thing about even approaching the likes of Cruyff is that they will steer you in the right direction even if they have no interest. Celtic approached cruyff before and eventho he turned them down he sent them Wim Jensens way. Now I dont know if he was any good for them but he did buy Larsson and win the league with them. so he cant have been all bad.:)

Kingdom
30/11/2007, 9:30 AM
The FAI should create a General Manager position, which would be in charge of all footballing matters (appointments, facilities for the various grades) for which Brady/Heighway etc would be ideal.
The CEO could then be the head of the company, solving the financial and admin tasks facing the association. Obviously the GM would be reporting to Delaney.

Dodge
30/11/2007, 9:48 AM
The FAI should create a General Manager position, which would be in charge of all footballing matters (appointments, facilities for the various grades) for which Brady/Heighway etc would be ideal.

Brian kerr had this job before being appointed as manager

As above, you won't tempt Cruyff away from Barcelona

stojkovic
30/11/2007, 2:19 PM
Johann Cruyff ( English version of spelling)

Wish I'd gone to UCD

John83
30/11/2007, 2:55 PM
Cruijff would be a very interesting guy to get, but he swore off management after he left Barça.

stojkovic
30/11/2007, 3:03 PM
Cruijff would be a very interesting guy to get, but he swore off management after he left Barça.
Aye, I doubt if there is anyone in the World who knows as much about the game as he does.

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 8:17 PM
Wish I'd gone to UCD

You still can they take mature students :D