PDA

View Full Version : IFA lifts ban on Sunday Football

Pages : 1 [2]

HarpoJoyce
06/09/2008, 12:31 PM
The day is nigh. The day's tomorrow 07/09/2008.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/7601875.stm
"The JJB Sports Premiership game between Glentoran and Bangor is to become the first Irish League football fixture to be played on a Sunday.

Both clubs agreed the move after the match was unable to be played on Saturday because of a waterlogged pitch at the Oval due to the heavy rainfall........The game will kick-off at 1500 BST on Sunday 7 September."

There's no guarantee that the game will go ahead tomorrow either though.
(Only I am allowed to use pseudo-religous expressions on this thread)

" In a post-Nine/Seven world......"

Flexy
08/09/2008, 8:31 AM
The day is nigh. The day's tomorrow 07/09/2008.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/7601875.stm
"The JJB Sports Premiership game between Glentoran and Bangor is to become the first Irish League football fixture to be played on a Sunday.

Both clubs agreed the move after the match was unable to be played on Saturday because of a waterlogged pitch at the Oval due to the heavy rainfall........The game will kick-off at 1500 BST on Sunday 7 September."

There's no guarantee that the game will go ahead tomorrow either though.
(Only I am allowed to use pseudo-religous expressions on this thread)

" In a post-Nine/Seven world......"
Could any Glens or Linfield fans give me your views on yesterdays match with Bangor. Was the crowd any different anfd your thoughts on playing on a sunday. did hear there was a protest by church goers, surely that should be against their religion protesting on a sunday

geysir
08/09/2008, 11:39 AM
did hear there was a protest by church goers, surely that should be against their religion protesting on a sunday
That would be doing God's work, it would be allowed.;)

Flexy
08/09/2008, 12:43 PM
That would be doing God's work, it would be allowed.;)
In that case what would the point be in getting up on a sunday

geysir
08/09/2008, 12:44 PM
To have breakfast?

Steve Bruce
08/09/2008, 3:59 PM
They reckon the crowd was up considerably. Some supporters have said there was over 2500 at the match, normally they would have around 1500 for this kind of game.

I have also heard lesser estimates of how much higher, from 450 upwards.

Dodge
08/09/2008, 4:03 PM
Linfield's latent catholic support coming out to annoy the protestors?

****ing religion, can't even allow a game of ball to go untainted...

HarpoJoyce
08/09/2008, 4:57 PM
Linfield's latent catholic support coming out to annoy the protestors?

****ing religion, can't even allow a game of ball to go untainted...

Many sports clubs associate themselves with popular religious personalities.

geysir
08/09/2008, 10:53 PM
Indeed some football tournaments even associate themselves with popular religious personalities such as the Craggy Island World Cup tournament held at the Father Ted Festival (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/film-and-tv/features/notes-from-a-craggy-island-the-father-ted-festival-790828.html).

Dodge
09/09/2008, 9:09 AM

True. Jesus was a Pats fan. And of course God played for us before managing Bray.

Wonder why they picked us?

EalingGreen
11/09/2008, 4:36 PM
Quote:
29/11/2007, 3:17 PM
dcfcsteve
"There's a decent publicity opportunity here for whichever IL team decides to host the first Sunday fixture. They'll get much more media coverage than they'd otherwise get, and it should add a few curious spectators onto the gate to be part of an 'historic' event.
I suspect first-up would be rthe likes of DC or Newry - i.e. not a team with a protestant support-base, or in an area where the Free P's might turn up to breathe fire and brimstone like they did when Ulster rugby did their first Sunday fixture about 2 years ago."

dcfc steve the new Nostradamus? I think not...;)

RonnieB
11/09/2008, 9:27 PM
Welcome to the modern world Northern Ireland.