PDA

View Full Version : Irish Players at Wolves

NeilMcD
28/11/2007, 11:30 PM
Just thought I would put up what some Wolves fans think of the Irish lads at Wolves.

http://www.the-wolf.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=25721

Colbert Report
29/11/2007, 2:49 AM
I don't care what they think of the Irish lads, the bottom line is that next season Wolves will be playing in the Premiership so we can look at them every week ourselves.

Billsthoughts
29/11/2007, 8:37 AM
wow....the English are still anti irish. tell us something we dont know.

Stuttgart88
29/11/2007, 8:45 AM
Stephen Elliott scored their winner last night.

elroy
29/11/2007, 9:01 AM

Didnt see anything particularly "anti irish" in any of that.

tetsujin1979
29/11/2007, 9:04 AM
Think it was more anti-starting-midfield-last-night than anything else.

gustavo
29/11/2007, 9:06 AM
I don't care what they think of the Irish lads, the bottom line is that next season Wolves will be playing in the Premiership so we can look at them every week ourselves.
Presumably the league they are in receives the same amount of highlights package on Sky as the Premiership?

Stuttgart88
29/11/2007, 9:18 AM
Yes, Football League Review or whatever it's called now, and ITV's Sunday morning show "The Championship" does a good round-up.

Not to mention the regular live Championship games that SKY show.

Ample opportunity to watch Irish players at that level on TV.

btid1
29/11/2007, 9:19 AM
You have to wonder what their problem is.They are talking about getting rid of McCarthy who has them 4 points off automatic promotion with relatively little money spent.

Colbert Report
29/11/2007, 10:45 AM
I live in Canada. We very rarely get any Championship games on the telly. I have Setanta and I get every Premiership match.

Stuttgart88
29/11/2007, 11:02 AM
I live in Canada. We very rarely get any Championship games on the telly. I have Setanta and I get every Premiership match.
Fair enough!

pineapple stu
29/11/2007, 12:51 PM
Didnt see anything particularly "anti irish" in any of that.
Was going to say that. They think Andy Keogh is rubbish. So do I, having seen him in the last couple of games. Am I anti-Irish?

as_i_say
29/11/2007, 12:59 PM
Yes. Yes you are:D

lionelhutz
29/11/2007, 1:01 PM

What an ignorant comment. Its the Irish that have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to the English, and I think they (in general) warm to the Irish very quickly. Its one way hatred really - as stupid as it is.

The fact that some Wolves fans believe Potter, Gibson and keogh are sh**e just makes me believe that theyre very intelligent

drummerboy
29/11/2007, 1:25 PM
Don't think the negative opinion of Keogh is a commonly held view among Wolves fans. I seen quite a few games last season and Keogh was very impressive. His appearances for Ireland were on the wing, a position that is alien to him and clearly doesn't suit him, so I won't be judging his prospects of further caps on those performances. The guy is still under 21 and is learning all the time.

cheifo
29/11/2007, 1:35 PM
Apart from Potter and perhaps Ward it seems they have faith in the rest but just dont like them being played out of position.Can be frustrating as a fan.I think Keogh,Foley and Gibson will eventually do well for them.Overall they seem to like MM but according to 5live last night Colchester were very unlucky.

paul_oshea
29/11/2007, 1:42 PM
csounds like typical mccarthy playing people out of position. does he ever learn?!

osarusan
29/11/2007, 1:45 PM
I just skimmed that thread, but only saw one reference to Ireland, and that was about McCarthy trying to buy up "half the emerald isle".

It was more of a rant about Sunderland players, a few of who were Irish.

Any ideas that the fans are anti-Irish (really anti-Irish, not just anti- Irish Sunderland fans) is ludicrous, based on that thread.

ifk101
29/11/2007, 1:50 PM
If I remember correctly, Stephen Ward was awarded player of the month in the Championship following his arrival from Bohs. So after less than a year at Wolves, the club have trained him to be useless.

Dr. Ogba
29/11/2007, 2:07 PM
If I remember correctly, Stephen Ward was awarded player of the month in the Championship following his arrival from Bohs. So after less than a year at Wolves, the club have trained him to be useless.

no good old Mick has taken him out of his natural position (striker) and converted him to an ineffective winger...

btid1
29/11/2007, 3:47 PM
no good old Mick has taken him out of his natural position (striker) and converted him to an ineffective winger...

He played there for over 2 seasons with Bohs as well so its not an untried position for him.

Manc Irish Wolf
29/11/2007, 6:01 PM
What you have to realise is that sadly the vast majority of people who follow the Wolves are thick as 5hite. This is an area that has been been in industrial decline since the 70's, has high immigration levels causing tension and is "stuck in the 70s" when it comes to hooliganism. Half of the fans just go down there to vent the frustrations of their crap day to day lives - which sadly overshadow the rest of the real supporters (I know it sound pompous - and of course I see myself in the latter).

In all honesty, I have only been down a couple of times this season as I'd prefer to spend my money on following Ireland than putting up with thick ar5eholes getting on the players backs, leading to some anti-irish comments by the less-educated scumbags which I simply can't tolerate (last time I kicked off on one wannabe hardman, he backed down and tried to justify it by saying that his uncle was in the Birmingham Bombings - course he was, Sunshine). However, from the games I have seen and heard on radio, the assessment that I would make is:

Kevin Foley - Has been an absolute revelation at Right Back and looks like he could be developing int o the perfect successor to Finnan. Has filled out since his U21 days and gets up the line well. Also has very good passing range, generally keeping it short & building from the back, however has a great eye for a pinpoint long ball and has been key to our counter attacking style this season. Below is a quote from teamtalk after Sundays draw with WBA.

"Kevin Foley was superb today. Whilst Hennessey should get some credit for his penalty save, Foley''s workrate, strength and vision down the right was first class. Its been a long time since I''ve seen such a promising fullback wearing old gold."

Andy Keogh - Has been full of running as ever and is definitely our most creative striker, however frustratingly doesn't score enough goals. He has been carrying an injury of late, so he may come back stronger, however think he suffers a bit from confidence in front of goal (a bit like Robbie Keane in his earlier years). His confidence probably hasn't beem helped by the moaning fans who have been eager to see the dropped Eastwood on the field. There are a lot of calls to play him behind the front two in a Scholes role, which could be a more effective position.

Darren Potter - Has been a massive victim of a confidence crisis, once again largely down to the fans getting on his back. Has a great range of passing, however maybe tries to play the killer ball too much. Needs to just get his head down and get running, as games sometimes pass him by, probably to avoid the fans moans.

Stephen Ward - Is a victim of McCarthy's tactics, as he is never a winger. Has shown some nice footwork when I've seen him and trys hard (a McCarthy Must), however is playing out of position, so will never be as effective as he could up front. When he's played up front he has looked good, if not a bit raw, and holds the ball up well. Could maybe do with a rest from the team and maybe even a loan move to get him scoring goals. Would be happy to see him upfront, although think he needs to round off his skills as he's a bit of a rough diamond, and wouldn't want his confidence denigrated any further. Definitely got potential though.

Stephen Elliott - Same old, Same old. Full of running, scores, gets injured. Hopefully we will see him get a good run, but you have to fear for him. Good to see him score yesterday - apparently played well. Despite being a bit lightweight, think he will do well for us this season, if only he can stay fit. Not sure if he will be able to adapt if we get to the Prem, as injuries and his lack of stature may well see him being ousted.

Darron Gibson - Only played a couple of games and has apparently done OK - was played out of position on the right wing yesterday, so can't be knocked. A few groans by the thick bigots in the ranks at being another "irish" player - until you throw the fact that he was voted young player of the season at United at them and they soon pipe down. Has only played 4 games, in which which we've won 3 and drew 1, so can't have done too bad.

Stephen Gleeson - The potential jewel is seen as rising star of the youth team having been watched by Barcalona & Liverpool among others. Only just 19, he was injured earlier in the season, however has been adapting to the Mens game as the captain of the reserves. Should see him come through in December a bit more with Olifinjana going to the African Nations.

Mark Sammon - Youth team player who has gone out on loan to Port Vale. Meant to be a decent midfielder, however was apparently quoted on Bebo saying how he's "not going back to live in that 5hithole". Probably not going to be a fans favourite.

At the end of the day we are fourth in the league with a young squad with lots of potential. I personally don't see what there is to complain about.

irishfan86
29/11/2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for that post Wolf, really informative.

cheifo
30/11/2007, 2:03 AM
Young Sammons remarks made me chuckle.:D

theworm2345
30/11/2007, 2:47 AM
The Wolf is full of a bunch of *****, I was a member there (when it was still called "modded in the midlands") awhile ago and everyone there sucked. Almost made me lose my love for Wolves, though it has since come back a bit. (I know...I'm not a "real" Ireland fan because I support and English team, but perhaps if there was actually some coverage of the LoI I could follow it somewhat...)

Another former Irish international screwing up a great striking prospect by putting him on the wing

CollegeTillIDie
30/11/2007, 6:21 AM

Yes we broke up their Empire boo-hoo :D

To get back on thread was with a football team in England back in July 2001. We were given permission to visit Molineux and got a guided tour. And all the Irish youth players were lined up regardless of whether they were Northerners or from the Republic.
And the Northerners were pleased to meet someone from any part of Ireland. The team was a Republic of Ireland Under 17 Women's team. The Northern lads were delighted to chat with us the mentors and the players. They seemed a little homesick to be honest.
The lads from the Republic , there were only one or two at the time, were lads who as far as I can recall didn't make the grade.