PDA

View Full Version : Great game for Cork fans.

applehunter
25/05/2003, 1:00 AM
The match was a great spectacle in the 2nd half. 2 sendings off, a penalty and skill from Georgie.

I really enjoyed the match last night because
1. Lovely football by Cork.
2. Fully pro. team top of the league reduced to scraps by a developing young team.
3. Billy Woods display at the baqck
4. Dan Murray's amazing display under pressure that drew, Ohhs and Ahhs from the crowd.

SSS
25/05/2003, 10:15 AM
Dan turned his man more often that most wingers do..Cool Hand Luke!!

Also worthy of note is that Benno seems to be learning from him bigtime.

Real ale Madrid
25/05/2003, 6:41 PM
Originally posted by applehunter
The match was a great spectacle in the 2nd half. 2 sendings off, a penalty and skill from Georgie.

I really enjoyed the match last night because
1. Lovely football by Cork.
2. Fully pro. team top of the league reduced to scraps by a developing young team.
3. Billy Woods display at the baqck
4. Dan Murray's amazing display under pressure that drew, Ohhs and Ahhs from the crowd.

Well said Applehunter, Couldnt agree more. Maybe no1 is a little debatable.

Éanna
25/05/2003, 9:07 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
Well said Applehunter, Couldnt agree more. Maybe no1 is a little debatable.
Agreed. It mightn't have been the nicest match you've ever seen, but at least city tried to play football as often as possible. Spillane came out with some garbage in the echo about city hoofing it, but who listens to him anyway.

SÓC
25/05/2003, 9:21 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Agreed. It mightn't have been the nicest match you've ever seen, but at least city tried to play football as often as possible. Spillane came out with some garbage in the echo about city hoofing it, but who listens to him anyway.

Thought that if anyone was hoofing it was Shels, we tried to play and there was plenty of excitement, well worth the scaby student rate of €5.

razor
26/05/2003, 8:28 AM
Dunno about that Carey played 2 balls to feet out of defence all night, everything else was in the air.

We are still playing too much high ball forward, I know George is tall enough and Flynny jumps incredibly but still.

For all the football we played we didn't cause them many problems.

They looked more dangerous with 10 men and had us on the rack for a while, we couldn't get out of our own half.

I'm becoming more and more impressed by Greg each time I see him and less so with Conor.

Woods did well as did Murray and Bennett, Carey was poor.
Doyle was our best player on the night and always gives 110%, George and JOF were pretty well marshalled.

sadloserkid
26/05/2003, 8:44 AM
For me your best players were O'Halloran, Murray, Woods and Doyle.

Unlike the rest of you I thought Behan looked totally out of his depth the other night. I know he's a young lad and will get better but on the evidence of the other night he has a long, long way to go. My other gripe is with O'Callaghan who really contributed nothing other then getting both Shels players sent of. He showed more skill than anyone on Friday night but he showed no application at all, going down under the lightest of challenges and going for another clever little flick when all he had to do was play a simple pass. An absolute genius footballer but offered nothing to the team.

Nice display by the fans though. Kudos for that. Appreciated the free fanzine too.

The last 15 minutes were entertaining as hell though (especially when Shels commited a foul, the ball rolled to Fenlon and he drove it down to field much to the chagrin of Dolan).

:cool:

TheNorthsider
26/05/2003, 10:43 AM
got to disagree with u there sad loser i thought behan did well for his first full start was challenging in the air,tried to play to feet and drives his crosses over with pace ok not always accurately ,from where i was the first sending off was deserved and secondly to that i thought george got a bit of rough treatment all nite.i presume the second sending off was due to the fact george was about to score and the defender was the last man

sadloserkid
26/05/2003, 10:47 AM
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough, I agreed with both red cards, I was just putting forward my case that they were O'Callaghan's only real contribution to the game overall. He's undoubtedly class but was too busy trying to dazzle to contribute anything to Cork's cause overall. Shels may have finished the game with nine men but Cork might as well have started with ten. O'Callaghan is a luxury and I'm not sure he's a luxury Cork can afford.

As for Behan, we'll have to agree to disagree, I didn't see anything about him other than enthusiasm and was surprised he wasn't subbed sooner. He tried hard but seem baffled by the pace of the game to me. He was under my nose for the second half though so maybe that's why I was so unimpressed.

Tom Peppers
26/05/2003, 11:32 AM
Razor, have you lost your head. Myself and Colm were in the pub after the match and we both agreed that O Grady played unreal. His strength to hold off his man while on the ball was amazing and his clever depth touches only added to an already heroic display. I think a call up to the irish senior squad is on the cards and im nearly sure i speak for most of this board on this

razor
26/05/2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Tom Peppers
Razor, have you lost your head.... I think a call up to the irish senior squad is on the cards and im nearly sure i speak for most of this board on this

No, I haven't but I think you might have :D

Tom Peppers
26/05/2003, 1:00 PM
I think adam should ban razor for stupidity

joe
26/05/2003, 1:05 PM
careful lads

razor
26/05/2003, 1:05 PM
me thinks we got a goalside kind of situation going on here. ;)

SÓC
26/05/2003, 3:21 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid

As for Behan, we'll have to agree to disagree, I didn't see anything about him other than enthusiasm and was surprised he wasn't subbed sooner. He tried hard but seem baffled by the pace of the game to me. He was under my nose for the second half though so maybe that's why I was so unimpressed.

I'd agree with ya on Behan.

George is hard to work out, he has games where he is amazing like UCD Away and Bohs at Home but then other times he plays like he did on friday.

Troy.McClure
27/05/2003, 9:43 AM
What?

I cant believe that. I thought that that was prob Georges best game for City! His determination and diciplen were fantastic, he worked back to help out his midfield and wasnt affraid to put in the tackles, Id say that he ran more than anyone else, got 2 players sent off and had our best chance from play.

TheNorthsider
27/05/2003, 10:14 AM
sad loser....behan scored a fantastic goal from a free kick last nite contributed well to the game put the waterford defenders under pressure with his physical pressence both in the air and on the ground and looks likes he has broken into the first team

TheNorthsider
27/05/2003, 10:20 AM
think georges over all game has improved he seems to be working hard but u will always get those who want everyone to hoof the ball and cant appreciate any bit of skill.part of georges game is to wind defenders up john caulfield did it for years he is always going to get free kicks,penalties players sent off etc keep up the good work george

sadloserkid
27/05/2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by THENORTHSIDER
sad loser....behan scored a fantastic goal from a free kick last nite

Heavens no, he scored a free-kick? Well, I apologise then, his Ireland call-up must be only weeks away! No really, are you serious, he actually scored a free-kick? Well, that's incredible altogether! :D

As you've no doubt gathered, a goal in the Munster Senior Cup final doesn't overly impress me. Fair play to him and I hope he goes on to have a long and successful career but one good performance (even in a mickey mouse cup final) doesn't disprove the feeling that for all his physical presence Dennis Behan isn't a good enough player for Cork City FC.

TheNorthsider
27/05/2003, 10:25 AM
agree with u sad loser kid munster senior cup isnt a fantastic trophy to be winning and i guess limerick would have no interest in winning it.as for behan he beat dan o connor one of the better keepers we have seen in the cross this year from the free kick and played well against waterfords first choice defence and as u say if he doesnt make it with cork city he can always go and play with limerick:p

sadloserkid
27/05/2003, 10:54 AM
i guess limerick would have no interest in winning it.

Well obviously, we would have entered it otherwise! :)

if he doesnt make it with cork city he can always go and play with limerick:p

If he can't even stand out against Corbally U-18's I doubt it. Maybe Queenstown would have him? :D

TheNorthsider
27/05/2003, 3:42 PM
exactly limerick didnt enter are awaiting greater success the league and fai cup or even the munster junior cup.:D i suppose ur right about behan if he doesnt impress after a handful of games he isnt good enough a ploy obviously adopted at limerick reason why they are doing so well in the loi:p

sadloserkid
27/05/2003, 3:46 PM
exactly limerick didnt enter are awaiting greater success the league and fai cup or even the munster junior cup.:D i suppose ur right about behan if he doesnt impress after a handful of games he isnt good enough a ploy obviously adopted at limerick reason why they are doing so well in the loi:p

I'm sorry, which of us has won more senior national trophies this millenium? Why I do believe you're right, that's us! Likewise the last time we played we beat you lot 1-0 in the X... ;)

TheNorthsider
27/05/2003, 3:53 PM
hard to argue that point im gonna follow limerick from now on seeing as they have all that success:rolleyes:

TheNorthsider
27/05/2003, 3:55 PM
obviously judging players after a few games is working well for the successful limerick football club:cool:

sadloserkid
27/05/2003, 3:59 PM
obviously judging players after a few games

Isn't that what you're doing too???? Indeed it is! :rolleyes:

Try for a little consistency anyway, I never said Behan was a bad player just that he hadn't a great game the other night. I didn't realise you were so close to him and would take any criticism that badly! :)

Let it go huh? I'm gonna stop with this now because it's going absolutley nowhere and we won't change each others minds.

TheNorthsider
27/05/2003, 5:43 PM
im judging behan on the games i have seen him play the effort he puts in and the potential he has.It ****es me off when people disregard players on the baisis of one or two games its something that is very common amongst cork supporters particularly and possibly limerick supporters,u are one of a very small minority who thought behan didnt play well the other nite an opinion u are very entitled to give.I have seen behan over the last 6 weeks and felt that his play warranted a first team appearence which in my humble opinion justified his selection and the humble opinion of people i know and the supporters around me but then again are u allowed have an opinion :eek:

sadloserkid
28/05/2003, 8:14 AM
then again are u allowed have an opinion

Glad you remembered that... :rolleyes: