PDA

View Full Version : Is Roy Keane the worst manager in the Premiership?

Pages : [1] 2

Jacktheman
28/11/2007, 8:13 AM
Well lads,

Is this man the worst manager in the priemership
30m sterling - 3rd from bottom.

And to think people wanted him for the Ireland job:)

razor
28/11/2007, 8:14 AM
Southgate maybe.
All the other crap ones have been sacked.

OwlsFan
28/11/2007, 11:53 AM
Yes, Southgate but also Gary Megson and Sam Allardyce (overrated) I wouldn't think much of.

Too early to judge Keane's career as a manager. I think it's fair to say he hasn't bought wisely (Kenwyn Jones apart but having seen him play on loan at Wednesday I knew he was class) but I would be surprised if Sunderland get relegated because there is a lot of dross down there (Fulham, Bolton, Derby, Wigan) who are far smaller clubs than Sunderland.

see's it
28/11/2007, 12:05 PM
worst in the league
1.fergie
2.hughes
3.keane
4.bruce

superfrank
28/11/2007, 12:32 PM
worst in the league
1.fergie
2.hughes
3.keane
4.bruce
:eek:

You must be having a laugh.

As much as I detest Ferguson he's been a top manager. He's not the most succesful manager for nothing.

Mark Hughes is also very good. Can't believe anyone would have him near the "Worst Managers" list. Just look at where Blakcburn were when he took over and where they are now. Relegation strugglers to European contenders.

I think it is too early to judge Keane. He's only had 14 or 15 ames. Wait til the end of the season, imo.

I never liked Bruce. I hate his policy last year in the Championship of buying everyone else's top striker. Never been a fan of his at Birmingham. I don't recall him before that.

see's it
28/11/2007, 12:42 PM
if darren fergie ever gets a job in the prem he'd be number 5.ince is 6

kingdom hoop
28/11/2007, 12:46 PM
Well I'd have seen it like see's it was wearing his ABU specs on that one to be honest.

I'd vote for Southgate, with Megson in second last. You could make a claim that Keane is the worst but that would be jumping the gun entirely, he's admitted he made mistakes in the transfer market with the type of player he went for (very good Championship standard) and will seek to rectify that come January. With experience I think he'll go on to be a great manager. His willingness to look at things objectively and self-critically will stand him in great stead.

Anyway, who gives a **** who the worst manager is? Why did I even bother posting in this thread. Damn trolls infested in my brain, pulling the strings. :(

pineapple stu
28/11/2007, 12:46 PM
He's no more a bad manager because of this season than he was a good manager because of last season. Tabloid-esque over-reaction to a few bad results.

osarusan
28/11/2007, 12:54 PM
Newly-promoted side spent a fair amount but struggle in the top-flight....unbelievable! Check the record books and see if it has happened before.

He's no more a bad manager because of this season than he was a good manager because of last season. Tabloid-esque over-reaction to a few bad results.
Exactly.

OwlsFan
28/11/2007, 1:39 PM
worst in the league
1.fergie
2.hughes
3.keane
4.bruce

DO I detect a certain anti-Man U bias in that selection :D ?

Southgate will be the next managerial casualty.

see's it
28/11/2007, 1:54 PM
stirring more them anything
sparky has done a great job i saw them play last year and there passing and movement was excellent they do spoil it when they dont have the ball though i suppose its abit like the way the man played aswell

NeilMcD
28/11/2007, 3:10 PM
stirring more them anything
sparky has done a great job i saw them play last year and there passing and movement was excellent they do spoil it when they dont have the ball though i suppose its abit like the way the man played aswell

Stirring is the lowest form bye bye you sad man.

dcfcsteve
28/11/2007, 3:50 PM
Roy who.....? :confused:

Noelys Guitar
28/11/2007, 3:58 PM
Southgate. And if he gets the sack then Venables is one of the favourites to get the job! If Sunderland don't win on Saturday against Derby then Keane will be in trouble. The fans will turn on him. Huge game for Keane. If he can win this game and get through to Christams with a few more points then he should be OK.

shakermaker1982
28/11/2007, 5:05 PM
if Southgate gets the boot then I imagine McClaren will go sniffing for his former post.

CollegeTillIDie
03/12/2007, 8:50 PM
Keane is not the worst manager in the Premiership on current form he's the third worst :D

Ringo
30/12/2007, 6:09 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/keane-may-be-the-player-sunderland-need-to-keep-them-up-1254923.html

All season there have been stories that Keane is still the best player when Sunderland train. Clough was haunted by the knee injury that ended his playing career; Keane has overcome the same injury, the same fears.

Given the opportunity to pick himself, what would Brian Clough do? Considering his appreciation of his own talents, there is probably only one answer. As the transfer window opens, Keane may be the player Sunderland need more than any other

cheifo
30/12/2007, 3:48 PM
He needs a quality centre back and a quality central midfielder.If he gets those they should stay up.ATM he has so many sub standard players that any managerial ability is not enough.I have been impressed with his more mature attitude in recent years.Apparantly he has found working to the principles of AA(not the road people!) of great benefit and good luck to him.
According to Sunderland fans Collins and Jones have been the only players to come out with credit.Halford is not getting a look in but was highly rated at Colchester and is young.Gordon has had some bad games but is capable of wonderful saves and will come good.How Stokes will turn out is anybodies guess but in his favour is only 19.Chopra seems to be one of those players who cannot make the step up to the Premiership.Richardson had a good game against Bolton.Sometimes he gives the wrong impression but hes relatively talented.I see O Donavon has been coming off the bench, hope he does well.At the moment Keane has put together a bottom six team, he will just have to ensure they are not bottom three and build from there.

shakermaker1982
30/12/2007, 7:54 PM
Robbie Savage is rumoured to be coming in and Wes Brown could be on his way. If Andy Reid didn't get injured I could imagine Keane trying to bring him in during the transfer window.

OwlsFan
02/01/2008, 10:34 AM
Babo Balde from Celtic and Leroy Leita are the names currently also being linked to Sunderland.

There is very little chance of Sunderland being relegated. Derby, Wigan and Fulham still look the best bet with Bolton not far behind.

eamo1
03/01/2008, 12:47 AM
with all the money he has spent and their position in the league.but i suppose i shouldnt be surprised because the media love him to bits and we cant have negative stories about keane now can we?

osarusan
03/01/2008, 1:35 AM
but i suppose i shouldnt be surprised because the media love him to bits and we cant have negative stories about keane now can we?

Yes you're right. I've never seen Keane criticised in the media or even on internet forums like this one.

OwlsFan
03/01/2008, 8:57 AM
Yes you're right. I've never seen Keane criticised in the media or even on internet forums like this one.

I suppose it just opens the old wound of Saipan which will never go away. As sure as eggs is eggs, an attack on Keane's lack of success this year as manager will eventually end up in a slagging match where 2002 will be to the fore. It's a worthless debate because people (me included) have set views on the matter which won't be changed.

I would be amazed if Sunderland are relegated because of the poor quality of the sides around them (I watched the Bolton vs Derby game last night - terrible stuff) but if they are, can anyone see Niall Quinn having the cajones to sack Keane? No way.

paul_oshea
03/01/2008, 10:53 AM
megson is a lot better than people give him credit for or just dont have a clue maybe!

superfrank
03/01/2008, 10:59 AM
I haven't seen Bolton play but they are definitely getting enough results at the moment, especially against the teams around them.

Sunderland have a strong side for the Championship but they're going to need some better players brought in over the next few weeks. They need a second striker to play with Kenwyne Jones, who's been their best buy, and a much better defender than Paul McShane. He's not up to the Premiership. Gordon's a good keeper, it's just the defence that lets him down.

elroy
03/01/2008, 11:12 AM
After what Keane did last year, he deserves some credit and judgement should be withheld untill the end of the season. If he keeps them up, well then job done, if it doesnt then its a different story, i wouldnt be surprised if he left. I think Sunderland are slowly but surely improving and were unlucky last night - if they had scored the peno they would have at least got a draw at Blackburn which would have been a credible result.
The one genuine criticism that can be levied on Keane is that he doesnt appear to have bought well - he paid an awful lot for a goalkeeper and for Chopra who never really looked like making it at premiership level.

Pauro 76
03/01/2008, 11:31 AM
Thing with Keane is, he seems to have mainly bought old pals from clubs he previously played with. He doesnt seem to have too much of a transfer strategy. Cole, Yorke, Richardson, Miller etc. And what was his thinking in playing upfront an academy striker instead of Chopra, O'Donovan, hell even Connolly?

ifk101
03/01/2008, 11:38 AM
After what Keane did last year, he deserves some credit and judgement should be withheld untill the end of the season. If he keeps them up, well then job done, if it doesnt then its a different story, i wouldnt be surprised if he left. I think Sunderland are slowly but surely improving and were unlucky last night - if they had scored the peno they would have at least got a draw at Blackburn which would have been a credible result.
The one genuine criticism that can be levied on Keane is that he doesnt appear to have bought well - he paid an awful lot for a goalkeeper and for Chopra who never really looked like making it at premiership level.

Agree with you.

He got them promoted after a terrible start under Quinn. And in fairness with the exception of the Everton and recent United game, Sunderland have been competitive in their games and have been a relative difficult side to beat. I think Wigan and obviously Derby aren't as good as Sunderland. Fulham, Middlesbrough, Bolton and Birmingham are at a similar level to Sunderland so it will be between these five teams and possibly Reading for the third relegation spot.

But as you say he has not done well with his transfer dealings. A lot of money has been spent and Sunderland haven't gotten much quality in return.

Junior
05/01/2008, 11:57 PM
Babo Balde from Celtic and Leroy Leita are the names currently also being linked to Sunderland.

There is very little chance of Sunderland being relegated. Derby, Wigan and Fulham still look the best bet with Bolton not far behind.

I love your half glass full opinion!!. I would say there is more than a little chance Sunderland will be relegated if they continue this form. Another cracking performance at home against Wigan of all teams at home.

They will need to up there salary offer if Bobo is to move anywhere. Hes now off to the African Nations and as much as Celtic would like to offload him, Strachan now appears to realise he might actually be one of the better CBs he has at his disposal.

Junior
06/01/2008, 12:01 AM
I would be amazed if Sunderland are relegated because of the poor quality of the sides around them (I watched the Bolton vs Derby game last night - terrible stuff) but if they are, can anyone see Niall Quinn having the cajones to sack Keane? No way.

You could argue it would take more cajones not to sack him? In this day and age of revolving doors where managers are concerened, perhaps it would do no harm to leave Keane in place if they are relegated, afterall it was him who took them up in the first place, in his first management role. 1 season in the premiership? perhaps he deserves more time, though he has spent heavily.

Lim till i die
06/01/2008, 3:48 PM
Thing with Keane is, he seems to have mainly bought old pals from clubs he previously played with. He doesnt seem to have too much of a transfer strategy. Cole, Yorke, Richardson, Miller etc.

Now he's turning his attention to Quentin Fortune :eek:

sadloserkid
06/01/2008, 3:57 PM
There is very little chance of Sunderland being relegated.

Why?

You realise that they've been spanked twice now by a Wigan side that you're dismissing so casually? :confused:

OwlsFan
07/01/2008, 9:00 AM
Why?

You realise that they've been spanked twice now by a Wigan side that you're dismissing so casually? :confused:

Because the teams around them are worse. Sunderland's home record (FA Cup game in front of half empty stadium aside) will keep them up.

Stuttgart88
07/01/2008, 10:34 AM
Clive Clarke's interview with Richard Sadlier yesterday was interesting I thought.

Lim till i die
07/01/2008, 10:38 AM
Because the teams around them are worse. Sunderland's home record (FA Cup game in front of half empty stadium aside) will keep them up.

They have a point, 3 points and four points on Wigan, Birmingham and Fulham respectively

Hardly earth shattering :confused:

cheifo
07/01/2008, 12:02 PM
Clive Clarke's interview with Richard Sadlier yesterday was interesting I thought.

Yeh I read that as well and lets be honest he was'nt shy about commenting on what he percieved as Keanes inability to communicate with players effectivley.Said that Roy would shout and throw things around which Clarke said would never give players confidence.In Keanes defence he did'nt rate Clarke as a player and I dont think he would have played under him in the last 18 months or so.

kingdom hoop
07/01/2008, 12:07 PM
Said that Roy would shout and throw things around

Kinda strange given his apparent mellowing. Just for show on TV obviously then!

shakermaker1982
07/01/2008, 12:14 PM
bloody hell a manager who throws things around - whatever next! Cloughie used to punch his players and it didn't do any harm!

Poor Student
07/01/2008, 12:25 PM
bloody hell a manager who throws things around - whatever next! Cloughie used to punch his players and it didn't do any harm!

Old school, different times. As great a manager as Clough was, the game had passed him by towards the end. Didn't his career sadly end in relegation? Players are totally different animals today, they're paid astronomically and wouldn't be expected to be punched in the face.

shakermaker1982
07/01/2008, 12:39 PM
Old school, different times. As great a manager as Clough was, the game had passed him by towards the end. Didn't his career sadly end in relegation? Players are totally different animals today, they're paid astronomically and wouldn't be expected to be punched in the face.

He did take Forest down but Clough was ruined by drink by that stage and his judgement shot to pieces - a pale shadow of the man who won two european cups. Fergie would be someone I'd still classify as 'old school' and he seems to be doing ok. Tales of kicking boots, throwing trays of tea around and the 'hairdryer' treatment have been ever present during his reign. Raging at players 24/7 is not going to work, I accept that but players need a kick up the **** every now and again.

Block G Raptor
07/01/2008, 2:11 PM
In A word Yes

Block G Raptor
08/01/2008, 9:38 AM
Yes - to what?

The question posed it the thread title

ramsfan
08/01/2008, 10:36 AM
clive clarke has had a cut off him on skysports.com today, i wonder will clives contract be renewed ha ha

Jerry The Saint
08/01/2008, 10:50 AM
The question posed it the thread title

And to this one as well

Is this not a poor attempt at instigating a Roy-bashing extravaganza.??

:D

Been ages since my last extravaganza.

ifk101
24/01/2008, 6:03 AM
There's a big and growing question mark over his transfer dealings. I see the latest player he has signed is Rade Prica. Very poor signing IMO and not worth the £2 million Sunderland have spent. I really don't understand why they would sign him when they have much better options already at the club.

gustavo
24/01/2008, 8:47 AM
I think looking at it from the outside , there is a definite lack of continuity in the team and the squad , seems to be a lot of chopping and changing going on , He should try to find out what his best team is and stick with it

ifk101
24/01/2008, 9:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSV4izWXE3w

Worst miss in professional football history?

cheifo
24/01/2008, 10:01 AM
Looks a bargain.

Risteard
24/01/2008, 11:02 AM
There's 43 players on the Sunderland squad according to Wikipedia.
It looks to me like over 35 of them have figured in the Premiership aswell this year.
That must be very unsettling.
The best thing Keane can do in this window is a lot of clever selling.
Then he might buy his first top-class player.

jebus
24/01/2008, 11:03 AM
Anyone else think he is looking up decent players in Football Manager and signing them on that basis?