PDA

View Full Version : The Media

DubJohn
28/11/2007, 12:42 AM
Does anybody else think that the media has hijacked the selection process of our manager?

This probably suits the FAI given the amount of negative publicity they have had recently.

Anybody who has followed international football in the last 12 years will know how good a candidate Roy Hodgeson is. His pedigree is incomparable to anybody we have had in the running since I can remember.

I cannot believe how much most of the media are pushing Tel, only giving mention to Souness and Houllier (as also rans) and ignoring Hodgeson.

Hyland (of the Herald pox), the (S)Indo, the red-tops, Irish Times, RTE are all at it.

It is obvious to me that these journalists do not know what they're talking about. They might be "in the know", but by deliberately ignoring the best candidate they are displaying their true ignorance of the international game. They have hardly even heard of him probably. Instead they are pushing the media man, the familiar face, the one they can write easiest about, the geezer they know from euro 96 and who's done damn all since then (but looks good on UTV). How can they tell us this candidate has the interests of our international team at heart? Doesn't matter, there'll be no 5 second press conferences from him, there'll be plenty of soundbites.

I hope against hope that more is going on behind the scenes with other candidates than is being reported.

I am starting to dispair.:(

CollegeTillIDie
28/11/2007, 7:03 AM
The media in this country are with a few notable exceptions, obsessed with English and to a degree Scottish football. It colours everything they write about. It colours the lack of coverage of the Eircom League and more to the point , it colours their assessment of who they deem '' suitable '' candidates for the Irish managerial position.
Look at the only non-English and non-Irish candidates being talked about. Houllier being a prime example.He's only on the radar because he managed Liverpool.

I happen to think the lack of ambition being shown by the media as to the calibre of candidate is a throw back to the age old inferiority complex developed here under British Rule.'' Ah sure we are a poor small country sure nobody would want to manage our team''.

Why haven't they asked Jose Mourinho? Why haven't they asked Fabio Capello? Why haven't they asked Marcello Lippi? What's wrong with Champions League and World Cup winning coaches? If you don't ask the question you will never know the answer.

There would be personal target potentially achievable in the Irish job for each of the candidates involved. Here's a few examples:- Marcello Lippi has for instance never won the European Nations Championship. It would be a tremendous achievement to a) get the Republic into the Finals for only the second time in our history and b) go a long way in the tournament itself. And the next Euros are in 2012.

Fabio Capello would love to try and outsmart his own national team. I am sure he would like to one day land the Italy job. If he as Irish coach took say 4 points out of 6 against Italy in the World Cup Qualifiers that would send a signal to the FIGC( Italian FA).

Jose Mourinho for instance could prove just how special he is by taking a disorganised rabble who cannot retain possession of a football to save their lives and turn them into qualifiers for the next World Cup. He could walk into any club job in 2010 and name his price. We now have the resources for fcuk sake use them!

mypost
28/11/2007, 7:08 AM
Can you imagine the way Capello or Lippi would deal with the media?? They come from the world of training behind closed doors. None of our hacks would put up with that. Can you imagine them coaching us, when we have Italy in the same WC group?? Plus, neither of them can speak English, and none of our lads can speak Italian.

Can you imagine Mourinho squareing up to Delaney, ffs? :rolleyes: No, neither can I.

pete
28/11/2007, 7:58 AM
Because of the way the last few appointments ended you can be damn suer the FAI will looking for some sort of media validation in the next appointment. El Tel would be good from the media's point of view as he can talk their game.

Theskinloyal
28/11/2007, 9:20 AM
I totally agree that the FAI lack ambition. As Dunphy was saying last night Birmingham City, who will probably be relegated from the Premiership this season went and asked Marcello Lippi, a World Cup winner!

Surely we are a more attractive option than Birmingham?? Whats the worst Lippi, Cappello or Mourinho could say? No?

At least that would get people believing that they are actually seeking the best manager out there not just looking to see who is on the scrap heap?

lionelhutz
28/11/2007, 9:41 AM
I totally agree that the FAI lack ambition. As Dunphy was saying last night Birmingham City, who will probably be relegated from the Premiership this season went and asked Marcello Lippi, a World Cup winner!

Surely we are a more attractive option than Birmingham?? Whats the worst Lippi, Cappello or Mourinho could say? No?

At least that would get people believing that they are actually seeking the best manager out there not just looking to see who is on the scrap heap?

Does anyone know for definite that they haven't inquired about the above managers??

Stuttgart88
28/11/2007, 9:46 AM
I was back in Ireland Monday & Tuesday. I continued be be aghast at the coverage, Irish Times devoting little coverage to it and unqurstining in its coverage of Venables. Content was 5% Irish / 95% English football. Similar in other papers though I did notice some dissent towards Venables.

graham_d
28/11/2007, 9:57 AM
And now that David Dein has suggested Houllier for England, that's probably going to remove him from media discussion for the Ireland job too - not a mention of Ireland on the rte.ie report on Houllier.

Not seen much about Arie Haan on Irish media either (not the websites at least). This all feels like Delaney doing some Blair-style spin to the journos on the side. We know the answer he wants but he needs to look like he's done a 'consultation'. :mad:

stojkovic
28/11/2007, 12:12 PM
The media in this country are with a few notable exceptions, obsessed with English and to a degree Scottish football. It colours everything they write about. It colours the lack of coverage of the Eircom League and more to the point , it colours their assessment of who they deem '' suitable '' candidates for the Irish managerial position.
Look at the only non-English and non-Irish candidates being talked about. Houllier being a prime example.He's only on the radar because he managed Liverpool.

I happen to think the lack of ambition being shown by the media as to the calibre of candidate is a throw back to the age old inferiority complex developed here under British Rule.'' Ah sure we are a poor small country sure nobody would want to manage our team''.

Why haven't they asked Jose Mourinho? Why haven't they asked Fabio Capello? Why haven't they asked Marcello Lippi? What's wrong with Champions League and World Cup winning coaches? If you don't ask the question you will never know the answer.

There would be personal target potentially achievable in the Irish job for each of the candidates involved. Here's a few examples:- Marcello Lippi has for instance never won the European Nations Championship. It would be a tremendous achievement to a) get the Republic into the Finals for only the second time in our history and b) go a long way in the tournament itself. And the next Euros are in 2012.

Fabio Capello would love to try and outsmart his own national team. I am sure he would like to one day land the Italy job. If he as Irish coach took say 4 points out of 6 against Italy in the World Cup Qualifiers that would send a signal to the FIGC( Italian FA).

Jose Mourinho for instance could prove just how special he is by taking a disorganised rabble who cannot retain possession of a football to save their lives and turn them into qualifiers for the next World Cup. He could walk into any club job in 2010 and name his price. We now have the resources for fcuk sake use them!

I totally agree.

Look at the managers at the last World Cup ;

5 Brasilians
4 Dutchmen
4 "Yugoslavs"
3 Frenchmen

Bondvillain
28/11/2007, 12:27 PM
Ooops! eh? :D

SuperDave
28/11/2007, 1:19 PM
The media in Dublin do what they're told by 'sources' because none of them have any contacts themselves in the professional game, so they get spun a yarn from some official and they swallow it.

horrible front page on the s*n today, pretty much saying "fao fai: everyone wants venables" [shuddddddder]

drinkfeckarse
28/11/2007, 1:23 PM
Jesus that is scary! Can they not gauge public opinion!? It has to make you wonder what agenda they have alright as that is surely bullsh!t. Not one person I've spoken to over here in Scotland or back home wants Venables anywhere near the team!!

Drumcondra 69er
28/11/2007, 1:28 PM
Eamon Carr has another critical piece over 2 pages in the herald this evening, Hyland only has a small panel about it. He doesn't seem happy with the process.

Stuttgart88
28/11/2007, 1:34 PM
Jesus that is scary! Can they not gauge public opinion!? They have no intention of gauging public opinion, they're trying to determine it. That's just as scary!

gustavo
28/11/2007, 2:24 PM
The media in Dublin do what they're told by 'sources' because none of them have any contacts themselves in the professional game, so they get spun a yarn from some official and they swallow it.

Do you have any other frame of reference other than English football?

drinkfeckarse
28/11/2007, 2:31 PM
They have no intention of gauging public opinion, they're trying to determine it. That's just as scary!

I know, that's what I was trying to get at really.

DubJohn
28/11/2007, 2:35 PM
They have no intention of gauging public opinion, they're trying to determine it. That's just as scary!

Exactly, well said.

DubJohn
28/11/2007, 2:54 PM

Agreed.

Also, the personal rewards for being successful with Ireland would be huge, especially for a foreigner (including an Englishman). I believe much more so than in most other European countries.

We tend to take foreigners to our hearts as a nation, when they are doing well on our behalf. There are loads of examples throughout all walks of life.

NeilMcD
28/11/2007, 2:58 PM
A bit like David Gray in that regard.

eekers
28/11/2007, 5:43 PM
Can you imagine the way Capello or Lippi would deal with the media?? They come from the world of training behind closed doors. None of our hacks would put up with that. Can you imagine them coaching us, when we have Italy in the same WC group?? Plus, neither of them can speak English, and none of our lads can speak Italian.

Robbie Keane worked under Lippi, how did that work?

CollegeTillIDie
29/11/2007, 9:46 PM
Lippi leaving Inter was the beginning of the end for Robbie at Inter and in Serie A. The new guy who replaced Lippi didn't rate him .

CollegeTillIDie
29/11/2007, 9:47 PM
A bit like David Gray in that regard.

Or Chris Rea, except he had Irish roots!

eekers
29/11/2007, 10:05 PM
i know all about lippi leaving etc imjustsaying theres nothing to say irish players cant work under italian managers

irishfan86
29/11/2007, 10:50 PM
I remember there was an article last year, during which the Inter manager that sold Robbie was quoted as saying he regretted doing so.

Managers from all over the place are brought in to England.....bottom line if you're a good manager you're a good manager. If you need a translator so be it.

Flawless
29/11/2007, 11:16 PM
I remember Moratti himself saying one of his biggest mistakes was allowing Keane to leave Inter.

Traps Cat
30/11/2007, 12:01 AM
Robbie Keane worked under Lippi, how did that work?

They communicated through the ancient art of "Karaoke"

stojkovic
30/11/2007, 2:16 PM
They communicated through the ancient art of "Karaoke"

:D:D:D

Yard of Pace
19/05/2014, 9:29 PM
Just reading the Sunday Times sports section there. I used to quite like Paul Rowan when he first appeared in the paper and he'd merely just have a profile/interview of an Irish player every week (usually someone on the fringes or not that well established which was useful/informative). Now I think he's an absolute gob****e whose entire modus operandi seems to be to try to cause trouble in the Irish camp, or give off the impression that failure/trouble is down the road.

I'm actually surprised he printed his "interview" with Roy Keane this week, as he concludes the interview with a quote from Roy basically telling him off for getting the interview under false pretenses (Roy thinks Rowan wants to talk about WC 2014, Rowan bombards him with questions about Saipan and a supposed apology to McCarthy 8 years ago). I'd be embarrassed as a journalist (and do readers actually still give a ****e??). Rowan then finishes the piece with something about Roy musing in his autobiography that his failure to go on a US tour in 1996 sowed the seeds for his showdown with McCarthy and speculated that now Roy is part of the Irish set-up and another US tour is imminent there could be trouble ahead.

Stupid stuff, imo.

Charlie Darwin
19/05/2014, 9:37 PM
Have the Sunday Times but haven't read the Sports section yet. He seriously interviewed Keane about Saipan? ****ing hell.

DannyInvincible
19/05/2014, 11:13 PM
The article is locked away behind a paywall on the Sunday Times' website, but here are some quotes courtesy of Balls.ie: http://balls.ie/football/roy-keane-juicy-quotes-saipan-niall-quinn/

Paul Rowan of the Sunday Times bravely went where other journalists fear to thread and raked up all that Saipan stuff with Roy Keane for yesterday’s paper. Keane insists that he did not apologise to Mick McCarthy for his own behaviour but rather for what went on in general.

I’ve apologised for loads of things. I apologised for a situation that happened but it doesn’t mean you apologise for your actions. You are sorry that something happens. I was sorry for what happened at the World Cup… I’ve no apologies for defending myself.

Keane is adamant Saipan would not have happened had he been a manager. He insists he would never question a ‘senior’ player in front of another group of players.

Not just the preparation, but criticising or questioning a senior player in front of a group of players. That would never happen.

Keane has often very publicly criticised other players on the field of play (most notably Phil Neville) and in his famous MUTV interview but he appears to be drawing a distinction between this and what McCarthy in the ill-fated team meeting.

In the interview, Keane also alluded to Cathal Dervan, the journalist who famously urged the Lansdowne Road crowd to boo Roy Keane during Ireland’s World Cup qualifier with Iceland in late 1996. Keane was booed throughout his Man of the Match performance during that dreary 0 – 0 draw with Iceland. Keane noted with bemusement and a little bit of annoyance that Dervan was later to act as Mick McCarthy’s ghostwriter for his World Cup diary in 2002.

I think two years previously a reporter, Cathal Dervan, told the fans to boo me against Iceland, and they booed me. A year or two later Mick wrote a book with Cathal. Small world isn’t it?

It’s like one of you lads before a World Cup saying everybody should boo Wayne Rooney. Boo him. And then a year or two later Roy Hodgson writes a book with somebody who said that about one of his players. Can I leave you on that one? Does that make sense to you?

The interview dragged on like we were stuck in a 2002 time-warp, he discussed his famous absence from Niall Quinn’s feel-good testimonial. He reasserted that he was injured for the game but did wonder how the hell Quinny got a testimonial match.

And why does Niall Quinn get a testimonial? How many years do you need to get a testimonial with your club? Ten. And how many years did Niall Quinn play for Sunderland?

Keane eventually demanded in a somewhat irritated tone that they conversation move on to the 2014 World Cup.

Charlie Darwin
19/05/2014, 11:28 PM
The victim complex is strong with this one. If Roy had any sense he wouldn't have been drawn into the conversation. It was a stupid article but if he wanted to stop it in his tracks he could have.

Stuttgart88
20/05/2014, 8:09 AM
Is Rowan ever happy or positive? It seems like he, and others, are only ever intent on stirring things and undermining the team and players.

back of the net
20/05/2014, 9:59 AM
The article is locked away behind a paywall on the Sunday Times' website, but here are some quotes courtesy of Balls.ie: http://balls.ie/football/roy-keane-juicy-quotes-saipan-niall-quinn/

If anyone has the full article , it would be much appreciated if ye cud post it?

cheers

Yard of Pace
20/05/2014, 2:38 PM
If anyone has the full article , it would be much appreciated if ye cud post it?

cheers

I think I've a scanner here so I'll try and do it.

Seeing as I brought it up.

Yard of Pace
20/05/2014, 3:17 PM

Hope these work. It's a scanner on a home printer so I'd to do it in two parts.

Yard of Pace
20/05/2014, 3:18 PM
Feck it. Let me try again as attachments. ;)

Or possibly quicker if anyone wants them for me to email them...

Yard of Pace
20/05/2014, 3:25 PM
Ugh, this is desperate. Technology has passed me by...

Yard of Pace
20/05/2014, 3:48 PM
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/30757260/file.html

http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/7047844/file.html

back of the net
20/05/2014, 5:06 PM
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/30757260/file.html

http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/7047844/file.html
Cheers for that kind sir.....much appreciated

Yard of Pace
20/05/2014, 5:30 PM
Cheers for that kind sir.....much appreciated