26/11/2007, 8:19 PM
Can't really disagree with that.

DmanDmythDledge
26/11/2007, 8:24 PM
Given

Finnan Dunne O'Brien O'Shea

Ireland Carsley A Reid McGeady

Doyle Keane

Only slight concern about that team is that it is too narrow as Ireland and McGeady will be cutting inside. However with Ireland and Reid in there they should be more than could enough to work in tight spaces. An option I'd prefer (although I doubt we will stray from the traditional 4-4-2) would be a midfield and attack like this:

-------------Carsley

-------Ireland-------Reid

Keane---------------------McGeady

--------------Doyle

Seems to be a better shape to the above option.

Duff would be an option too obviously if he gets fit. Given Carsley's form at the moment I'd have him ahead of a fit Steven Reid.

eekers
26/11/2007, 8:28 PM
he need a real left back for the future, i think we're okay in every other position

kingdomkerry
26/11/2007, 8:40 PM
What about centre back and centre midfield? No class players for those positions.

kingdomkerry
26/11/2007, 8:58 PM
bar richard dunne

kennedmc
26/11/2007, 9:06 PM
Given

Finnan Dunne A O'Brien J O'Shea

A Reid S Reid Hunt

Ireland Duff

Keane

It's not an Xmas tree formation! The two reids and Hunt would get through enough work in midfield. Duff and Ireland have the freedom to play wide off Keane or drop in more central - When we don't have the ball they'd drop back and deny space down the flanks. This formation would certainly mean no long balls up front!!

carloz
26/11/2007, 9:32 PM
Not sure about 2 positions in midfield and two at the back but id go with this:

Given
Finnan Dunne McShane O'Se
Ireland Reid Reid Duff
Doyle Keane

Subs: McGeady, Hunt, Kelly, Long,

I would pretty much agree with that but possible swap O'Shea and McShane. A midfield that timid would put a hell of a lot of pressure on S. Reid though. Still that would be a good attacki minded team. BTW what has happened Doyle at Birmingham. He isnt even second choice now

TheBoss
26/11/2007, 9:49 PM
My top 11:

GK: Given

RB: J O'Brien
LB: Finnan
CB: Dunne
CB: O'Shea

RM: McGeady
LM: Duff
CM: S Reid
CM: Ireland

FW: Keane
FW: Doyle

HolylandsMan
26/11/2007, 9:53 PM
Given
Finnan Dunne McShane O'Se
Ireland Reid Reid Duff
Doyle Keane

I'd agree with that I think. Very light on midfield tacklers but since Carsley is unlikely to still be about at the end of the next campaign I think its a team that has potential.

eekers
26/11/2007, 9:59 PM
My top 11:

GK: Given

RB: J O'Brien
LB: Finnan
CB: Dunne
CB: O'Shea

RM: McGeady
LM: Duff
CM: S Reid
CM: Ireland

FW: Keane
FW: Doyle

i pretty much agree with that
finnan is probably the best solution to the left back problem. o shea should play in the centre (mc shane isnt up to it) and stay there and play there consistantly, it would really help his game

stojkovic
26/11/2007, 10:41 PM
Stephen Reid again.

Face it lads, he aint never gonna be fit.

Pointless picking players that will never play, you may aswell pick Kaka and Messi FFS.

Write him off and move on.

Ditto with Supergran.

livehead1
26/11/2007, 10:53 PM
Palyed 442 with no rewards for too long now.

maybe keeping carsley in there would be an idea. when i was playing at a decent enough level i always appreciated a def. mid in there who allowed you to make an attempt at being creative without overly worrying if you were to lose the ball. If we want to utilise our creative players (and we do have some) it may be useful to revert to this formation. Won't always work for games but certainly for home games and games we should be very confident of winning i would possibly look at:

----Given
Finnan Dunne O'Shea
Carsley
Ireland Reid Reid Duff
Keane Doyle

danonion
26/11/2007, 11:57 PM

maybe keeping carsley in there would be an idea. when i was playing at a decent enough level i always appreciated a def. mid in there who allowed you to make an attempt at being creative without overly worrying if you were to lose the ball. If we want to utilise our creative players (and we do have some) it may be useful to revert to this formation. Won't always work for games but certainly for home games and games we should be very confident of winning i would possibly look at:

----Given
Finnan Dunne O'Shea
Carsley
Ireland Reid Reid Duff
Keane Doyle

the DM in this formation needs to have more pace than Carsley, he has to slot in as a centre-back/sweeper when finnan or o'shea defend in the channels. If S. Reid can mark and tackle and has pace, he could do that job. I say if because its been so long I only ever remember him playing wide right for us and centre-forward for Millwall several divisions down.

If venables gets appointed he is bound to experiment with this formation, as England's Euro 96 team was the best England side in my lifetime.

billybunter
27/11/2007, 12:03 AM

----Given
Finnan Dunne O'Shea
Carsley
Ireland Reid Reid Duff
Keane Doyle

i agree with this. this really puts the onus on Ireland and Duff to dig in and defend at times, and I think in fairness both have shown reasonable ability to do that. I thought Duff was as good defensively at home to slovakia as he was going forward. Ireland has chased back for City this year as well. carsley does his best work sitting deep and there are enogh skillful players in front of him to keep and pass the ball (as as to give him a breather when needed)

jmurphyc
27/11/2007, 12:11 AM

----Given
Finnan Dunne O'Shea
Carsley
Ireland Reid Reid Duff
Keane Doyle

But with that formation we wouldn't really have any player on the right wing. Finnan would be mainly working as a centre back and therefore wouldn't be able to attack down the right and Stephen Ireland isn't a right winger and would be cutting inside all the time. It would seriously limit our game plan IMO. I can understand the idea behind it though as defensively it could potentially work, especially as we don't really have anyone who is good enough to play left back at the minute. Hopefully O'Halloran really starts to progress this year.

Colbert Report
27/11/2007, 12:11 AM
Given

Finnan-O'Shea-Dunne-Kilbane
Duff-Andy Reid-Carsley-Hunt
Doyle-Keane

on the bench:
McShane
Harte
Steven Reid
Long
McGeady

that's not a bad team lads......let's hope we don't lose a bunch of our best players to injury this campaign.

danonion
27/11/2007, 12:36 AM
I think the XI will be

Given; Harte, Dunne, O'Brien, Finnan; Kilbane, S Reid, Carsley, Duff; Doyle, Keane

McGeady and McShane haven't done anything to justify their inclusion. Ditto Shane Long, Daryl Murphy, Stokes etc.

Only Doyle, Hunt and Ireland have been the business for Ireland in terms of new blood in the team since Mick left the position

The Staunton era was a disaster, for the 400 thousand caps he awarded, only 3 or 4 players have been unearthed, and it looks like the team for 2010 Qualifying campaign is going to be largely Mick's heroes.

If only we didn't hound him out.

liaml
27/11/2007, 6:17 AM
Keane hasn't done anything of note since WC2002 yet he's the one player on everyone's list. During the next year I'd like to try other options alongside Doyle.

tetsujin1979
27/11/2007, 9:26 AM
The Staunton era was a disaster, for the 400 thousand caps he awarded, only 3 or 4 players have been unearthed
I wouldn't criticise him for trying to bring through new players, Kerr was routinely criticised here for not bringing through any new players, and pretty much finished with the same team he started with. In the early days of McCarthy's reign, he had to award caps to see who would be decent players in the future, everyone remembers Butler only getting 1 cap, but there's plenty more on 2 and 3 (mainly from US Cups) that never get a mention.

livehead1
27/11/2007, 9:26 AM
But with that formation we wouldn't really have any player on the right wing. Finnan would be mainly working as a centre back and therefore wouldn't be able to attack down the right and Stephen Ireland isn't a right winger and would be cutting inside all the time. It would seriously limit our game plan IMO. I can understand the idea behind it though as defensively it could potentially work, especially as we don't really have anyone who is good enough to play left back at the minute. Hopefully O'Halloran really starts to progress this year.

I wouldn't really subscribe to the view that its paramount to have our left and right midfielders getting to the byline and swinging the ball in. In that midfield there is so much reative talent, and goals. All four of them can score, Ireland and s.reid will probably get 10 a piece for their clubs this season (if reid gets fit and gets a run). Keane certainly doesn't benefit from crosses and is much better with the ball into feet or to run onto, balls which that midfield should certainly be able to provide.

one of the reasons i went for this is it allows carsley to fit in, i certainly think he's needed, without sacrificing either keane or doyle.

bwagner
27/11/2007, 9:46 AM
I think this group will prove a hell of a lot in terms of the quality and mentallity of our guys.
This is a tough and daunting group , The Stan excuse is gone so now they must step up to the task.
My away team would look like
Given
Finnan Nose Dunne (cpt) Kilbane

Duff S Reid Carsley Mc Geady
Ireland

Doyle or Keane (based on form etc)

Kingdom
27/11/2007, 12:07 PM
My ideal team would be

Given
Finnan
Dunne
O'Brien
Kilbane

Duff (RW)
Reid
Reid
McGeady (LW)

Ireland

Doyle

livehead1
27/11/2007, 12:31 PM
Why are most people coming out with the same players and formations that have served us so poorly over the last 2 years?

lionelhutz
27/11/2007, 1:32 PM
Stephen Reid again.

Face it lads, he aint never gonna be fit.

Pointless picking players that will never play, you may aswell pick Kaka and Messi FFS.

Write him off and move on.

Ditto with Supergran.

Oh so he's going to be fit...................

EAFC_rdfl
27/11/2007, 2:19 PM
Given
Finnan, Dunne, O'Dea, O'Shea

Carsley McGeady, Ireland, S Reid, Duff

Doyle

I suppose maybe Keane instead of Doyle but not on recent Irish form. If Duff still can't breath put in Andy Reid or Hunt
Defensively solid, and enough goin forward to get goals
strong bench left aswell

carloz
27/11/2007, 2:56 PM
A lot of people seem to be of the assumption that it is a given that Stephen Ireland will return. I dont think that is the case, infact a little bit of me thinks we will not see him in a green shirt again

Kingdom
27/11/2007, 2:57 PM
A lot of people seem to be of the assumption that it is a given that Stephen Ireland will return. I dont think that is the case, infact a little bit of me thinks we will not see him in a green shirt again

In a Bernd Schuster/ Germany kinda way?

carloz
27/11/2007, 2:58 PM
Given
Finnan, Dunne, O'Dea, O'Shea

Carsley McGeady, Ireland, S Reid, Duff

Doyle

I suppose maybe Keane instead of Doyle but not on recent Irish form. If Duff still can't breath put in Andy Reid or Hunt
Defensively solid, and enough goin forward to get goals
strong bench left aswell

I really like the look of that team now. With the exception of O'Dea. Being 4th choice central defender for Scotland wimply wont cut it. Gotta be Andy O'Brien in there or maybe Joey (although him playing there against Germany was prob a once off)

carloz
27/11/2007, 3:01 PM
In a Bernd Schuster/ Germany kinda way?
exactly. He retired at 24 didnt he, and fell out with everyone in Germany during those years

EAFC_rdfl
27/11/2007, 3:06 PM
I really like the look of that team now. With the exception of O'Dea. Being 4th choice central defender for Scotland wimply wont cut it. Gotta be Andy O'Brien in there or maybe Joey (although him playing there against Germany was prob a once off)

Maybe Im a bit biased with O'Dea, its only a matter of time though, only reason hes not in Celtic team is cause him and McManus are both left footed and Strachan doesn't like that idea
Also regarding Stephen Ireland, its wishful thinkin that makes me include him, think he's back on track after a couple of rough months

an_ceannaire
27/11/2007, 4:13 PM
Given

Finnan
Dunne
O'Shea
O'Brien

Duff
Reid
Reid
McGeady

Keane
Doyle

Subs like Ireland, Long and Hunt we are doing ok

stojkovic
27/11/2007, 4:44 PM
Oh so he's going to be fit...................

I was being dramatic, you know, like Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny.

Would you like me to check your previous posts for grammatical and spelling errors, there's plenty of them, you pedantic fcuk. That's French Connection UK spelt incorrectly btw lionel.

hugs xxx
Dragan.

Metrostars
27/11/2007, 7:22 PM
A few options:
4-4-2
Given
Finnan-Dunne-Andy O'Brien-O'Shea
Ireland-Reid-Reid-Duff
Keane-Doyle

4-2-3-1
Given
Finnan-Dunne-A O'Brien-O'Shea
S Reid-Carsley
Ireland-A Reid-Duff
Keane

3-5-2 (3-2-3-2)
Given
J O'Brien-Dunne-A O'Brien
S Reid-Carsley
Finnan-Ireland-Duff
Keane-Doyle

Paddy Garcia
27/11/2007, 9:40 PM
Interesting how McShane has disappeared off the radar.

Not so long ago all the experts (& youngirish) were seeing him as our saviour.

irishfan86
28/11/2007, 7:09 AM
Interesting how McShane has disappeared off the radar.

Not so long ago all the experts (& youngirish) were seeing him as our saviour.

I think anyone would be reluctant to put him in their side after his nightmare of all nightmares against Everton.

He had a brutal brutal game, but he's still young.

To write him off now would be ignorant, he's very young and will only get better.

CollegeTillIDie
28/11/2007, 7:17 AM
McShane has no pace and is being exposed week in and week out in the English Premier League. He also conceded a penatly which cost us two points away to Wales. His judgement would need to be superior to the average player to compensate for his lack of pace and he isn't in the zone yet on that score. As a result I think people have made up their mind about him. One thing I have noticed about people's teams is that Duff and Stephen Reid feature prominently neither of whom kicked a ball in anger much under Staunton's reign and the absence of these two was a huge factor in the midfield problems which plagued the last Qualification campaign.