PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 Moaning Managers

Pages : [1] 2

OwlsFan
26/11/2007, 12:59 PM
This is one of my pet hates at the moment. The manager's interview after the game where all they can talk about is the ref.

1) Steve Bruce

He just can't stop himself. Even if his team wins 6-1, he'll complain the one for the other side was offside. He hates referees so much, I reckon his nose must have been the subject of a head butt from a referee many years ago.

2) Mark Hughes

Yesterday, he moaned ad nauseum about the ref. For a change the interviewer said, "Your own first goal looked offside" and he said "I believe so" but still carried on bemoaning his luck. As it happens it was a genuine peno for FUlham and the other Fulham goal wasn't offside.

3) Arsene Wenger (whinger)

Not much of late due to success but wait for the first defeat. He's has brought whinging to a fine art.

Special mention for Alex McLeish after the Scottish game where he complained about the Italian winner but didn't complain that the Scottish goal was offside and that Italy had a perfectly good goal ruled out.

I wouldn't be a ref for all the tea in China. An almost impossible job without the TV playbacks rugby and most sports use.

Risteard
26/11/2007, 1:09 PM
Expected you to mention Warnock but whinging isn't his most hateable trait.
I'd put Ferguson ahead of Wenger. I'd say those two have benefitted from their moaning though in ensuring that they get all 50/50 decisions. (Bigger clubs usually do.)

KildareFan
26/11/2007, 1:24 PM
Expected you to mention Warnock but whinging isn't his most hateable trait.
I'd put Ferguson ahead of Wenger. I'd say those two have benefitted from their moaning though in ensuring that they get all 50/50 decisions. (Bigger clubs usually do.)

1. Ferguson
2. Benitez
3. Bruce

With a dishonourable mention to Allyrdyce and Wenger

superfrank
26/11/2007, 1:46 PM
Ferguson! Sure he got sent-off at half-time for being one nil down. It must be the ref's fault.

Did you hear the big moan Queiroz had after the match? Undoubtedly, he was just a mouthpiece for Ferguson.

I always thought Mourinho seemed to want to moan about something every time he was interviewed. It was pretty annoying after a while.

I think Benitez is pretty bad too. Wenger and Hughes as mentioned would be up there.

On the subject of moaning managers, did anyone else catch Lawrie Sanchez's interview on MOTD2 last night?

He was asked why Fulham can't hold a lead and then he went on about how England couldn't hold a lead and got pretty ****ed off at it.

an_ceannaire
26/11/2007, 1:48 PM
Moyes can be a big pain in the hole at times, especially when he blames a ref when it is blindingly obvious it was his negative tactics undid us

OwlsFan
26/11/2007, 1:54 PM
Expected you to mention Warnock but whinging isn't his most hateable trait.)

I don't regard Warnock as a manager ;)

I can't understand what Ferguson is mumbling about so not sure if he's moaning.

osarusan
26/11/2007, 1:58 PM
I remember watching a post-match interview with Allardyce one time, when Bolton had lost 2-0. They had been denied a pretty definite penalty with about 15 minutes left, when they were already 2 down. His comment was along the lines of "The penalty decision changed the game".

Sam, no it didn't. You were 2 down because you'd been crap all game. The "ungiven" penalty didn't change anything, nor would it have, in all likeliness.

It seems managers will blame anything to avert blame from themselves these days, in the knowledge that the more gullible fan (often in the majority) will believe it.

anto1208
26/11/2007, 2:25 PM
Ferguson tops the list but Rafa is quickly closing the gap . outside that i think every manager moans a certain degree but those two are such hypocrytical moaners its just annoying

Hibs4Ever
26/11/2007, 4:32 PM
Strachen is by far the worst, spends more time banashed to the stands than in the dugout

Followed by Ferguson and Morinho

jebus
26/11/2007, 6:58 PM
I don't regard Warnock as a manager ;)

:D:D

I'd go for:

1. Ferguson, purely because he likes to give about Wenger whining about tough tackling sides when he's actually probably worse than him it. He's conned people into thinking his bitchy rants are 'mind games' though

2. Allardycio, absolute ****ing imbecile. "I'd be considered the world's greatest manager if only I were French, no you wouldn't you long ball playing, fat piece of ****

3. Wenger, as much as I love the man he does go on when Arsenal lose

Don't understand Benitez and Mourinho being in there, sure they whine the odd time, but when they get beaten fair and square they generally come out and say it

mypost
27/11/2007, 2:18 AM
Top 3:

Fergie
Fergie
Fergie.

If it's not the ref, it's the opposition, if not either, it's his injuries. Noone moans as much as he does.

Risteard
28/11/2007, 12:09 AM
We're definitely not short of excuse-makers in the eL anyway.
the top 6 are painful although to be fair, Connor reserves most whining for his own players.

razor
28/11/2007, 8:15 AM
Sour Alex
Moyes
Obscene

OwlsFan
28/11/2007, 8:56 AM
What a shock. Arsenal lose and Arsene Whinger is banned to the stands, for what he doesn't know:rolleyes:.

OwlsFan
28/11/2007, 1:59 PM
The Arsenal manager directed his anger at Reinold Wiedemeijer, the Dutch fourth official. “He was very busy, that is the minimum you can say,” Wenger said. “His behaviour was absolutely shocking. I was sent off but I waited by the tunnel as I could not get into the stand."

Always the Official's fault, Arsene. Plus ca change.

Stuttgart88
28/11/2007, 2:35 PM
Wenger and Ferguson are as bad as each other. I admire the way United play football but I thought Ferguson's (probably correct) indignation at Bolton's physical approach was ironic, given the overly physical - and badly refereed - approach United took to beat Arsenal's long unbeaten run. Van Nistelrooy's tackle on Cole was terrible - as bad as Hunt's last weekend and deserving of a straight red - and the Nevilles put in some awful tackles that went unpunished in the first 20 minutes.

NeilMcD
28/11/2007, 3:09 PM
I think the worst to be honest is Sanchez. But Giles did say something before, to be a top manager you need to be a bit childish and unreasonable. A reasonable person who is fair and balanced cannot make it as a top manager.

OwlsFan
28/11/2007, 4:12 PM
I think the worst to be honest is Sanchez. But Giles did say something before, to be a top manager you need to be a bit childish and unreasonable. A reasonable person who is fair and balanced cannot make it as a top manager.

I am not sure I agree with that. The question is do you have to be a whinger to be a top manager? I doubt it no more so than in any walk of life. Firm, tough, bullish with tactical acumen, yes. But an ability to moan as nauseum when things don't go so well, I doubt it.

rambler14
28/11/2007, 6:04 PM
Arsene Wenger is king of the moaners
Mourinho wasn't far behind
Ferguson does go on a bit
Lawrie Sanchez is a bit of a moaner
Moyes complains a lot but in fairness he has a point most of the time.
TOP 3:
1. Wenger
2. Ferguson
3. Sanchez

jebus
28/11/2007, 7:42 PM
Wenger and Ferguson are as bad as each other. I admire the way United play football but I thought Ferguson's (probably correct) indignation at Bolton's physical approach was ironic, given the overly physical - and badly refereed - approach United took to beat Arsenal's long unbeaten run. Van Nistelrooy's tackle on Cole was terrible - as bad as Hunt's last weekend and deserving of a straight red - and the Nevilles put in some awful tackles that went unpunished in the first 20 minutes.

Not to mention Rooney's blatant dive that Ferguson failed to talk about afterwards

Macy
29/11/2007, 8:00 AM
Top 3 moaners...
1) Scouse supporters
2) Cockney supporters
3) Anyone else not following a Manchester team.

Roadend
29/11/2007, 8:08 AM
I'd hazard a guess that you don't know a single scouser.

Macy
29/11/2007, 9:04 AM
Bar the ones I was in college with, work with and who drink in the local - no none. :rolleyes: I'll admit their not typical - being educated and with jobs...

OwlsFan
29/11/2007, 10:09 AM
Told you Hughes was in the Top 3 moaners list:

Blackburn 0-4 Aston Villa

David Anderson 29/11/2007

Mark Hughes last night pointed the finger at referee Phil Dowd after Blackburn crashed to their heaviest defeat at Ewood Park for three years.

The Rovers boss felt Dowd got just about every decision wrong in disallowing a Benni McCarthy strike, sending off Ryan Nelsen, ignoring the home side's appeal for a penalty and failing to rule out Villa's third and fourth goals for offside.

Dowd has previous with Blackburn and last season upset Hughes by dismissing Tugay when Spurs visited.

Hughes said: "Tonight was not one of the referee's best performances and I think most people would acknowledge that.

"I was going to have a chat with him after the match, but what's the point? He won't change the result and everybody has to move on.

"Benni's goal not being given was an even greater turning point than the penalty. If we had scored at that point when we had dominated the first 30 minutes it might have been a different game.

"He's given the penalty for a shirt pull, which was probably the right decision, but I don't think it was a sending-off because Chris Samba was there or thereabouts. They then got a couple of breakaway goals and I have my doubts about both of them. I thought they were both offside."

Roadend
29/11/2007, 10:25 AM
I'll admit their not typical - being educated and with jobs...

I think you'll find they do a roaring hubcap trade.

endabob1
29/11/2007, 10:26 AM
1 - Wenger
2 - Wenger
3 - Wenger

DaveyCakes
03/12/2007, 1:13 PM
Avram Grant looks to be taking up the reins well after Mourihno's departure, and he's real dour ****** as well.

OwlsFan
17/12/2007, 9:56 AM
Keane on the ref after the Sunderland draw on Saturday:

"You can take him out of the Premiership but it would be unfair to the Vauxhall Conference players and supporters if he went down there". He also accused the ref of having "cheated" supporters. "I don't want to crucify the ref :eek:. I try to be fair".

Looked a dodgy decision to be fair but referees make honest mistakes. That's life. I have cursed them myself and except in the Irish game in Bulgaria I personally haven't experienced a ref making a decision deliberately to favour one side over the other.

OwlsFan
17/12/2007, 9:58 AM
Also needless to say Mark Hughes was moaning about the ref after his side's 5-3 defeat BY (not to) Wigan.

gustavo
17/12/2007, 10:00 AM
Looked a dodgy decision to be fair but referees make honest mistakes. That's life. I have cursed them myself and except in the Irish game in Bulgaria I personally haven't experienced a ref making a decision deliberately to favour one side over the other.
Exactly , but they are an easy target , these managers blame them only when they lose , never when they win , its to deflect attention for the reason of the defeat which is usually the ineptitude of the team which would be the managers fault

Stuttgart88
17/12/2007, 10:00 AM
Looked a dodgy decision to be fair but referees make honest mistakes. After all I had heard on TV and the rdaio I looked forward to seeing the incident on MOTD, expecting a terrible decision. When I saw it I thought the ref was well within his rights to award a free. I don't think Carson would have got anywhere near the ball - his feet were planted and he was slow to pick up the flight - but the Sunderland player used his arm for leverage. You might get away with it but not when it's around the 'keeper's neck. It was a bit like England's late "winner" against Portugal in 2004.

OwlsFan
17/12/2007, 12:30 PM
Carson seemed to come for the ball and not make it. Didn't see any arm across him but it was one of those you sometimes get; other times you don't

See who gave away the free for the Villa goal. McShane alas :o. I also see the keeper Gordon was dropped to the bench. Villa had 55% of the possession as well so more than likely deserved a draw.

Pauro 76
18/12/2007, 6:50 AM
Apparantly Sanchez is having a moan about people who bet on managers losing their job. 5/1 he goes. :D

OwlsFan
18/12/2007, 8:58 AM
5/1 are good odds. Might have a flutter.

cheifo
18/12/2007, 10:35 AM
Sanchez is looking increasingly stressed in interviews as weeks go by.Curbishleys interviews are the ones I find my eyes going toward the roof.:rolleyes:Also big Sam-whinger extroadinaire.

mypost
18/12/2007, 12:37 PM
Carson seemed to come for the ball and not make it. Didn't see any arm across him but it was one of those you sometimes get; other times you don't

There was an arm blocking his vision. Foul and free kick.

Bit mad to see Mark Hughes lecturing refs yesterday over what he thought were red cards. But at least, he saw them for a change.

If refs applied every rule, his team would have 4 men off in every match.

Stevo Da Gull
19/12/2007, 2:20 AM
1. Ferguson
2. Allardyce
3. Pardew

Currently dormant - Mourihno, Warnock
Chairmoan - David Whelan

Stuttgart88
28/12/2007, 9:15 AM
I see Keano was up in arms over Stephen Hunt's late winner. fair enough as it was a poor decision and cost them a point.

However, I wonder if in the dressing room he vented his fury instead at Kenwynne Jones for shooting in the last minute when a simple square pass to Stokes would have won the match. Pure selfishness.

osarusan
28/12/2007, 12:04 PM
Martin O Neill, based on Wednesday's game.

DmanDmythDledge
28/12/2007, 12:50 PM
Martin O Neill, based on Sunday's game.
Did you hear him on Wednesday? :D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7160652.stm

Aston Villa led 2-0 when Chelsea were awarded a penalty on the stroke of half-time following an incident that saw Knight sent-off for a foul on Ballack.

And Villa boss Martin O'Neill was unhappy with the performance of the referee.

O'Neill felt the first-half penalty and the free-kick from which Ballack put Chelsea 4-3 up should not have been awarded.

"There wasn't one decision we got. If we get the next 15 it will only semi-make up for it," he insisted.

"We were playing brilliantly. We deserved to be 2-0 in front but the penalty was really dubious and it's a major point in the game.

"Suddenly it's 2-1, we've got a man sent off and play the whole of the second half with 10 men.

"It was never a free-kick (before Ballack's goal). Amazingly, I thought the referee might give it but never in a month of Sundays was it a free-kick and they scored from it."

O'Neill was also unhappy about Phil Dowd's role in the last-gasp penalty awarded to Villa for Cole's handling on the line.

"The referee didn't see it and the linesman spotted it - I'm grateful for him spotting a straightforward decision and I'm so grateful linesmen have spotted things they should spot," the Villa manager added.

"We were absolutely terrific and deserved it and even now I don't know if I'm delighted to get a point in the last minute of the game or whether I'm disappointed that we haven't won."

OwlsFan
28/12/2007, 1:13 PM
My favourite has to be Graham Taylor. Interesting to see the assistant referee on the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DHO8p0ce38

OwlsFan
09/03/2008, 12:52 AM
:D:D

Alex Ferguson says the system for assessing referees needs to be overhauled after United were denied a penalty against Portsmouth.

Cristiano Ronaldo was fouled by Sylvain Distin in the penalty area in the seventh minute, but referee Martin Atkinson waved play on.

Sir Alex told MUTV: “It’s absolutely ridiculous. I just cannot explain that decision. Managers get sacked on the basis of things like that. And he’s going to referee a game next week? It’s ridiculous.”

Atkinson later sent off United's substitute goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak when arguably he shouldn’t have, because Anderson and Wayne Rooney were covering when the Pole felled Portsmouth striker Milan Baros. Pompey's Sulley Muntari scored the resulting penalty past emergency keeper Rio Ferdinand to knock the Reds out of the cup.

“We’re out and you could look at a lot of things,” Sir Alex added. “We missed a lot of chances for one, but the refereeing performance… Keith Hackett (of Match Officials Board) has got a lot to answer for. He’s not doing his job properly.

“He should be assessed like everyone else. Martin Atkinson will referee next week, no problem. But his performance today should not be accepted in our game. I agree with Sepp Blatter, the standards here as opposed to the Continent is behind Europe. It’s a big problem.”

superfrank
09/03/2008, 9:29 AM
I agree with Sepp Blatter, the standards here as opposed to the Continent is behind Europe. It’s a big problem.”
One game:

Napoli 3-1 Juve earlier this season.

Rovers fan
09/03/2008, 1:20 PM
After fergie of course I think dave o'leary has to be the worst. When he was with villa in every post match interview after a defeat he blamed the ref and always said that they were the better side and deserved to win. Thanks be to god he is out of management at the moment.

oldyouth
09/03/2008, 4:39 PM
Neil Warnock, 'nuff said

OwlsFan
10/03/2008, 9:17 AM
Hats off to Gareth Southgate. True his team were dreadful but there was a foul leading up to the first Cardiff goal and the interviewer asked him about it. Southgate said it didn't matter. Cardiff were the better team. It was his responsibility and he had no excuses. Unbelievably honest and refreshing.

Needless to say I expected Arsene Whinger to blame the pitch for the poor show against Wigan and I wasn't disappointed.

OwlsFan
27/04/2008, 7:46 AM
I don't often agree with John Giles but his attack on Ferguson's sour grapes and perpetual moaning about referees after they lose was well justified. If it had been a Chelsea player who had handled the ball and a peno not given to Man U, Ferguson would have been outraged. It was clearly a peno but no, Ferguson has to moan and complain. He and Wenger just do my head in when they lose a game.

Take it on the chin and move on.

superfrank
27/04/2008, 11:52 AM
Yeah Ferguie was moaning again and without reason but I also love it when something goes wrong for Man U and the camera switches to Fergie's reddened face going ballistic.

micls
27/04/2008, 12:16 PM
ballack wrestling with ronaldo was much more a penalty than the handball.

The handball was a penalty. Much more or much less doesnt come into it. Its a penalty regardless of whether he screwed up another decision or not.

What annoyed me was Ferguson mentionong over and over 'in a big game like this, giving a penalty like that in a big game like this.'. The rules are the rules regardless of how important the game is to you Alex

superfrank
27/04/2008, 12:29 PM
ballack wrestling with ronaldo was much more a penalty than the handball.
You give that, you give five a game, every game.

I don't know how true this is but apparently, think BBC said it, that was the first penalty awarded against Man U this season Surprise, surprise. Reminds me of this joke.

Cristiano is 6ft tall and very strong and fast. How much pressure need be applied to make him tumble over in the opponents penalty area? (Note: Answers must be in lbs per square inch. However, answers such as, 'However much pressure is applied by Ferguson to referees' are accepted.)