PDA

View Full Version : Ray Wilkins

Deckydee
25/11/2007, 7:51 PM
Hi,

Im new on this board and want to know what would the people think about Ray Wilkins being a possible first team coach for the Republic. This does not mean that he would be the manager but maybe as 'assistant' He had excelled in this role in the past.

What are you views?

Fergie's Son
25/11/2007, 8:13 PM
I was always a big fan of Wilkins as a player. I don't know too much about his as a coach. To be frank, he's never been mentioned as being in the running for any role with Ireland.

Scratchy
25/11/2007, 8:51 PM
No thanks.

Stuttgart88
25/11/2007, 8:55 PM
What's his coaching CV? He's bland as anything as a pundit, never struck me as one of the game's great thinkers.

paul_oshea
25/11/2007, 8:56 PM
welcome to the board deckydee. I dont like bald people, as im facing that myself and there is something I dont trust.....

tetsujin1979
25/11/2007, 10:25 PM
from Wilkins' wikipedia profile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Wilkins

In 1997, Wilkins became the manager of Fulham, with former England teammate Kevin Keegan as "Chief Operating Officer" under him. Wilkins managed to take the big-spending side to the Second Division play-offs, but was sacked by chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed before the first game took place after Fulham lost the last three games of the regular season. Kevin Keegan, who replaced Wilkins, failed in his bid to guide the side through the play-offs that season. The two, once close England team-mates, have had frosty relations since.

After leaving Fulham, Wilkins worked as a coach at Chelsea and Watford as a coach under Gianluca Vialli, on both occasions being sacked along with Vialli (in September 2000 and July 2002 respectively). He spent the next year working mainly as a pundit before joining Millwall as assistant manager to Dennis Wise in October 2003. Wilkins left the club along with Wise in May 2005, but returned in a consultancy role from March to October 2006. He continues to work as a pundit with Sky Sports.

Ray Wilkins was assistant to Peter Taylor with the England under 21's until Peter left in early 2007. Ray was not retained by incoming head coach Stuart Pearce.
Nothing really to make him stand out there to be honest, success at Chelsea and Fulham was more down to the money of the chairman at both clubs, and the managers he was working with.
If the new manager appoints him as his assistant, well and good, we'll have to trust his judgement, but I don't see anything in his coaching history that would make him stand out as a candidate.
Interesting qjuestion though.

Serb
25/11/2007, 11:18 PM
welcome to the board deckydee. I dont like bald people, as im facing that myself and there is something I dont trust.....

At least if they did appoint him, Stephen Ireland would feel comfortable back in the squad.

KianD
25/11/2007, 11:55 PM
His little brother Dean is possibly the better manager/coach in constrained player circumstances.

Sligo Hornet
26/11/2007, 9:26 AM
Wilkins was a complete disaster as Assistant manager/ Coach to Vialli (also a disaster!:o ) at Watford....agreed his knowledge of football is immense but he cannot cut it in management......TV work ONLY please!

EAFC_rdfl
26/11/2007, 10:19 AM
not with a barge pole for me, same goes for El Tel

galwayhoop
26/11/2007, 11:43 AM
how about Wilkins as Manager with Jamie Redknapp as his assistant .....

tetsujin1979
26/11/2007, 12:29 PM
queue endless post match interviews of "he'll be disappointed with that" and "he's done ever so well there"

RogerMilla
26/11/2007, 12:37 PM

would be massively in favour !! As long as rifles will not be confiscated from fans at our first home game......

stojkovic
26/11/2007, 3:42 PM
All I remember of him is Maradona skinning him alive in 1986.

I think your memory is playing games on ya there Tuff.

I seem to remember The Crab being sent off against Morocco in the group and not retaining his place after suspension. Think Steve Hodge and Peter Reid came in for Robson and Wilkins.

Manager of Ireland - NEVER.

B1977
26/11/2007, 8:23 PM
I believe Ray Wilkins did the voice for the "you ve been Tangoed add"