PDA

View Full Version : Bye, Keano

Lim till i die
24/11/2007, 5:43 PM
How long more will the Sunderland board put up with this overspending, underachieving mouth??

Absolute shocker today by all accounts

Risteard
24/11/2007, 5:47 PM
As long as they last themselves I'd say.

beautifulrock
24/11/2007, 5:57 PM
Think Roy need to concentrate a little more on his on business than every one elses. There is no need for his "big ego" speech this week about the English team. Get your defence system sorted Roy.

jebus
25/11/2007, 10:07 AM
I remember a Corkie telling me he had thrown €100 on Sunderland finishing in the top 4 this seasons, "sure with Roy in charge they can do anything", whagt a schmuck! :D

dcfcsteve
25/11/2007, 10:26 PM
I'm delighted to see Sunderland struggling - purely to fcuk off their 'legions' of new found fans in Ireland.

I'd say yesterday's result is enough alone to reduce Sunderland Christmas shirt sales in Ireland by a good 20% or so. Thank feck too.

Hopefully they'll go down at the end of the year, and the whole SundIreland nonesense will die along with Keane's first managerial role.

theworm2345
26/11/2007, 3:51 AM
I can guarantee you this, no one was happier to see them lose 7-1 than I was...I've been delighted to see them struggle this whole season as a matter of fact. And I've been on their bandwagon for longer than most people I have to guess, since August 31st, 2006 I think

Lionel Ritchie
26/11/2007, 6:38 AM
Though I'll indulge myself a little schadenfreude at seeing his Midas touch reputation tarnished, there's no way I'd like to see a club like Sunderland and their sizeable contingent of Irish players drop out of the top flight.

lopez
26/11/2007, 9:33 AM
Though I'll indulge myself a little schadenfreude at seeing his Midas touch reputation tarnished, there's no way I'd like to see a club like Sunderland and their sizeable contingent of Irish players drop out of the top flight.Schadenfreude it is. Now he knows what it's like to be a useless manager himself.

pete
26/11/2007, 12:01 PM
I don't think Sunderland will get relegated mainly because they have more money to spend & worse teams below them. Good to see the hype once & for all blown away.

Has Keane bought any quality players yet? 5-6m for Championship quality players?

Risteard
26/11/2007, 12:04 PM
The keeper.
I haven't seen Kenwyne Jones but he's meant to be handy but still a pitiful return.
No doubt he'll be splashing the cash come January.

De Town
26/11/2007, 2:48 PM
Yeah your man Kenwyne Jones looks decent, a poor man's Drogba I suppose you could say.

pete
26/11/2007, 2:54 PM
Yeah your man Kenwyne Jones looks decent, a poor man's Drogba I suppose you could say.

I suppose if Roy Keane has enough money to make another 10 signings he will get one good player. :p

shakermaker1982
27/11/2007, 11:42 AM
30 miillion is peanuts in the PL nowadays especially when you consider Spurs splashed out 18 million on Bent alone.

Underachieving? He took Sunderland up in his first season at a time when the wearsiders couldn't buy a win in 12 months. Every manager makes some howlers when it comes to the transfer market. Wenger bought Francis Jeffers, Fergie bought Taibi......I could go on and on. He should be judged at the end of the season, as should Billy Davies at Derby. Davies also took Derby up last year and was given the boot. Madness. I understand Sammy Lee going- the guy was as clueless as Stan but Davies had success last year and should have been given more time.

Lim till i die
27/11/2007, 3:39 PM
30 miillion is peanuts in the PL nowadays especially when you consider Spurs splashed out 18 million on Bent alone.

So it's ok for Keane to piddle away money because someone else did it??

Underachieving?

Third last?!?

You betcha!

shakermaker1982
27/11/2007, 3:58 PM
So it's ok for Keane to piddle away money because someone else did it??

if you don't spend cash in the PL (especially when you have just been promoted) then your a sure fire cert to get relegated, as Derby County are finding out to their cost this season. Reading being the main exception to this rule.

The established PL clubs also splashed their cash last summer (and don't forget they are adding to a squad of Premier League class players unlike Sunderland.) Lawrie Sanchez must have spent 30 million this summer at Fulham with Portsmouth, Spurs, Wigan, Man City and Newcastle all shelling out as well.

Gordon was a little overpriced but Jones will prove to be a steal if he continues to improve at the rate he's progressing at. If Keane gets Sunderland relegated then he has failed but if he keeps em up then he'll look to build from there and another year in the PL would surely be seen as a success?

pete
27/11/2007, 5:19 PM

Despite lack of success Spurs are one of the richest clubs in the PL so they can fund transfers from profits (almost 20m sterling last year). Sunderland are spending largely from investors back pockets with is not limitless.

Sunderland/Keane have spent the entire PL revenue package already & nothing to show for. I think they would be lucky to get half what they paid for those players now. Some freebies but it all adds to wage costs.

see's it
27/11/2007, 7:31 PM
gordons price has surely gone up his been excellent this season.jones has been a success also and i think edwards has done well in the first few games and is gettin into it again now after an injury on the other hand mcshane,stokes and copra have been poor esp for the cash he spent on them

Lim till i die
28/11/2007, 9:25 AM
Gordon was a little overpriced but Jones will prove to be a steal if he continues to improve at the rate he's progressing at. If Keane gets Sunderland relegated then he has failed but if he keeps em up then he'll look to build from there and another year in the PL would surely be seen as a success?

Let's not forget Keiran "How much?!!" Richardson

Anyone who purchases Paul McShane to marshall there defence at this level hasn't a clue.

May as well have a rabbit playing infront of the floodlights for all the positional sense.

Still could always put a strong holding midfielder infront of him to ward off...........what's that you say?? Dwight Yorke is playing........ :rolleyes:

paul_oshea
28/11/2007, 10:11 AM
why all these threads on the same thing, can someone please merge them as its getting out of hand, 3 - 4 keane threads already opened.

Who cares? Sunderland will stay up simply because of the money available to them. The suprising thing is keane has them playing good football, most teams that come up that go straight down find it very difficult in the final 3/4 and or getting shots on goal, but he has them playing well up front, just the defence is dire and yes McShane is to blame for that.

bennocelt
01/12/2007, 12:50 PM
Keane did a fantastic job getting sunderland into the Premiership (like davies with derby), and he has bought some cracking players
Yet he also has bought very badly..............Richardson was an awful buy.......what was Roy thinking

But Yorke as a midfielder.................re the world cup where he was outstanding
Gordan is a top goalie, Mschane is decent enough, and I am a huge fan of edwards and when he isnt playing the team obviously suffer

But its a bit early to be talking about how "crap" keane is...............im sure if they stay in the premiership it would be considered a success

CollegeTillIDie
01/12/2007, 9:46 PM
I know this might sound churlish but it would be supremely wonderful if Wolves came up and Sunderland go back down :D