PDA

View Full Version : Athlone Town 1 - 1 Sligo Rovers

atfconline
23/05/2003, 9:18 PM
An excellent performance from Athlone, particularly in the second half when they ran Sligo ragged. Great to see Jimmy bringing on Sherlock near the end, and taking off a midfielder.

Even enough opening 15 minutes. McCann went close with a curling free to the bottom right hand corner. Mullin headed at the keeper just after, from a cross whipped in by Collins.

O'Brien split the Sligo defence with a fantastic run after 27 minutes but unfortunately nothing came of it.

Harney then went close, after been set up by Hope. Town were enjoying a period on top. Then Sligo got a free well out on the left touchline. Bounced in the box, Jackson got something on it, but went into the net. Couldn't really see it too well, but looked like it should have been dealt with.

Harney headed over after from a cross from Shine. Played in nicely by Mullin.

After 45 minutes, Sligo hit the post from a free.

Second half was ALL Athlone. McCann had a glorious chance to level matters after about 15 minutes in. He dispossed the defender, rounded the keeper cooly, but then just seemed to be too casual with his effort from about 2-3 yards out. Hit the post and the keeper collected it.

Mullin then stroke a nice volley five minutes later after a nice pass from Kelly. A few minutes later and Kelly himself was running in on goal. Got to the ball before the keeper, but was then taken down. Got back up and banged home the peno.

Dominated the rest of the half, but no other clear cut chances stick out in my mind. Yellow card count was 5 or 6 to 1, on Sligo's side.

Quote of the night has to go to hte Sligo 'keeper. Rossi, they're taking the p!ss out there, stop them! And that was in the first half, before we dominated!

Line up was Moran, Shine, Hope, Jackson, A Kelly, Gavin, S Kelly, Rushe, Collins, McCann and Mullins. Two early subs, Harney replaced Gavin and Shine replaced Alan Kelly. Sherlock replaced Rushe with about 5 mins to go in normal time.

Oh No
24/05/2003, 11:53 AM
You know, we have an excellent panel there that could win the league if we could be only be a bit more ruthless and confident.

Two problems I had with team selection, Shine (getting classier with each game) should be in way ahead of Jackson (always very shakey and not just because he had the own goal). A back four of O'Brien, Kelly, Shine and Hope would be superb. Harney (far more presence and tough) should be in ahead of Rush.

We are not conceding many goals but we are not scoring enough either.I notice that Andy Myler is not making the first team selection at Drogheda, could he be an option (even on loan) or is the transfer window closed at present?

renegAde
25/05/2003, 11:38 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the game on friday but I'm happy to read that it was another good performance. It's clear that we do have a good panel of players who can work well together and play with a good, positive style. The key issue is, as per usual, consistency. We should concentrate on eliminating the sloppy defensive mistakes and learning to pick up points even on days when we don't play particularly well.

Oh No - I think the transfer window is closed at present but even if it was open, I couldn't see us getting Andy Myler on loan. It's no secret that Andy likes Athlone and would probably enjoy playing for us again but it wouldn't make sense for Drogheda to release him. On the days when he doesn't start for them he's their first choice striker on the bench and, to be perfectly honest (putting my loyalty to the Town to one side for a moment) he deseves to be playing in the Premier rather than the first division. I do think we could do with an experienced striker in our ranks, but it probably won't be Andy.

Peace,
Ade

Ash
26/05/2003, 8:38 AM
Only the 3rd game I've been able to get to this season but
I can see an improvement in most players.

Except Shane Jackson, someone told me during pre season
that he was one of the fittest players at the club - I hope they
were taking the p!ss cos in all fairness I could walk faster!
For a big man he was dodgy under some of the high balls and
McTiernan was shoving him around the place. Although he
started to play Ok once Stephen came on.

Good to see Shiner make up for any mistakes. Any time he gave
a dodgy pass or lost the ball he tore in hell for leather and made
excellent tackles to make up for it. A bit too much of a mouthpiece
though, refs will easily get sick of listening to him. Shouldnt have
got booked. I was standing right beside when the Scumgo fella
ran in and tripped himself over the ball, but then again all the
mouthing before wouldnt have helped his cause.

Mick McCann had a decent game, fierce unlucky with the one that
came off the post.

Fair play to Rushie too, he tore into Watson a good bit even
though he's twice (or more) his height.

Ger O'Brein showing some silkey skills but pulled out of a lot of tackles.

Great bit of singing from the crowd, gave Stephen a bit of a
ribbing but he was laughing it off - thankfully he didnt pop up
with a winner.

All in all a decent game and a good point.