PDA

View Full Version : Ulster Anthem

JC_GUFC
24/11/2007, 11:46 AM
I was in work yesterday and the Norn Iron kids were playing Wales.
When playing the anthems they played Land of our Fathers for Wales and God Save the Queen for the North.
The guy beside me who couldn't see the TV just assumed it was England playing and was wondering why the North don't have an anthem of their own.

Does anyone know if they've ever had anything else played as their anthem?

I always thought AC/DCs Thunderstruck would've been a good one for them!
Instead of Thunder! the fans could should Ulster!

jebus
24/11/2007, 12:10 PM

I think they discounted that during the Troubles due it's obvious anti-Loyalist preference

Sound of the drums
Beatin' in my heart
The thunder of guns!
Tore me apart

Dodge
24/11/2007, 1:21 PM
Been a few threads on this. They use Danny Boy in the Commonwealth Games

holidaysong
24/11/2007, 1:50 PM
Obvious WUM using Ulster as a synonym for Northern Ireland... :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
24/11/2007, 1:59 PM
How About SLF's '' Alternative Ulster" ?

eekers
24/11/2007, 7:45 PM
i dont think the northern ireland association of their fans have a problem with god save the queen being played and who are we to suggest alternative anthems

The guy beside me who couldn't see the TV just assumed it was England playing

he also could of assumed it was Liechtenstein playing
should they also change their anthem?

JC_GUFC
25/11/2007, 3:07 AM
Actually if anything England should be changing their anthem.

It was a genuine question with an obviously tongue in cheek title, I had heard that Danny Boy had been played as their "anthem" before and was wondering if it was true or not.

It's strange that Scotland and Wales do have their own anthems but the North don't. Mind you the Welsh and the Breton anthem are the same! Forza Breizh! :)

geysir
25/11/2007, 11:29 AM
How About SLF's '' Alternative Ulster" ?
:)
Take a look where you're livin'
You got the Army on your street
And the RUC dog of repression
Is barking at your feet
Is this the kind of place you wanna live?
Is this were you wanna be?
Is this the only life we're gonna have?
What we need is

dcfcsteve
25/11/2007, 9:22 PM
Actually if anything England should be changing their anthem.

Agreed. It's supposedly a British monarchy, though in reality is just an increasingly English one.

There is also a growing sentiment amongst English fans to adopt Jerusalem as their anthem instead. Much better musically than the durge that is GSTQ at least.

It's strange that Scotland and Wales do have their own anthems but the North don't. Mind you the Welsh and the Breton anthem are the same! Forza Breizh! :)

Not strange at all that the North chooses to play GSTQ - it's for political reasons. They hide behind the excuse that it's their anthem - but the differing attitude of Scotland and Wales, and the fact that GSTQ is hugely divisive in the north, shows how hollow their reasoning is here.

I hope they'll change it eventually to something less one-sided, to reflect the make-up of the 'nation' they claim/hope to represent. It will also be interesting to see what happens in the IFA if England eventually change their anthem as well.

dcfcsteve
25/11/2007, 9:24 PM
I was in work yesterday and the Norn Iron kids were playing Wales.
When playing the anthems they played Land of our Fathers for Wales and God Save the Queen for the North.
The guy beside me who couldn't see the TV just assumed it was England playing and was wondering why the North don't have an anthem of their own.

Does anyone know if they've ever had anything else played as their anthem?

Maybe you can help me out by telling me where this 'Ulster' football team you speak of are from ? :confused:

Did I miss something re a new UEFA/FIFA nation or constituent part of the UK...? :confused: