PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Tiernan

Pages : [1] 2

Billsthoughts
23/11/2007, 9:25 AM
Went to see him last nite in Vicar St. Never really paid much attention to him before so didnt really know what his stand up was like. have to say I was gob smacked as to how he is so popular. For a comic he seems to lack even basic comic timing. He uses the word **** as a device to get cheap laughs. and some of his jokes would make Jim Davidson think twice. Worse still was the audience. He was doing some "shocking" material on down syndrome people and immigrants which in fairness wasnt malicious but coupled with the low IQ of the audience made me feel very uncomfortable.

paul_oshea
23/11/2007, 9:30 AM
Billsthoughts its simple slap stick, that gets the dubs going and the simple-minded country folk. ANYONE WHO needs to CURSE every 5 seconds is not a comedian. He is completely over-rated and crap. Most annoying fella ever, thats why he never made it big outside of Ireland either.

gustavo
23/11/2007, 9:32 AM
well I must have a worryingly low IQ then cos I think he's great.

passinginterest
23/11/2007, 9:35 AM
I remember seeing him twice in college three of four years ago and he was quality. Got the DVD he had out last Christmas and though his standards had dropped considerably. If the downward spiral has continued I can see how he'd be more irritating than funny. He seems to have run out of ideas.

cheifo
23/11/2007, 9:36 AM
Totally agree, that smug look on his face is unbearable.He so badly wants to be Bill Hicks.His jokes about the Church and supposedly more controversial material might have been cutting edge 15 years ago, now he comes across
as just desperate.

Magicme
23/11/2007, 9:37 AM
He is just coming on Ray D'arcy's show soon.

Billsthoughts
23/11/2007, 9:40 AM
well I must have a worryingly low IQ then cos I think he's great.

In fairness Im not saying anyone who likes him is an idiot. Each to their own. Im saying the whooping and hollering from the audience at the randomest of things (at one stage he did an apu style indian impression) didnt suggest mensa were having their xmas do there.

smellyfeet
23/11/2007, 9:48 AM
Mate of mine went to see him in Ennis. He was having a cheapshot at Disabled People as part of the show,something about how come Disabled People get the parking spaces nearest the door of buildings, A girl in a wheelchair was in the audience and he had a pop of her, she left in a huff. As she was leaving he thanked her for her 30 Euro Entry fee.

Thats not funny imo, just Bad ****.

Dodge
23/11/2007, 10:00 AM
Always found him funny. He doesn't make a habit of cheap laughs, and is certainly one of the more liberable comedians around

John83
23/11/2007, 11:36 AM
Totally agree, that smug look on his face is unbearable.He so badly wants to be Bill Hicks.His jokes about the Church and supposedly more controversial material might have been cutting edge 15 years ago, now he comes across as just desperate.
That pretty much sums up my opinion of him too, though I don't give a damn about the look on his face. I don't find his material funny. I don't even find it offensive.

strangeirish
23/11/2007, 12:13 PM
He is just coming on Ray D'arcy's show soon.
Thought he always had that look on his face:D

paul_oshea
23/11/2007, 12:18 PM
Thought he always had that look on his face

I always knew MagicMe was dirty minded :D but how did she get into that position to see that?!:eek::p

Magicme
23/11/2007, 12:19 PM
Jaysus!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek: Now cant get that image outta my head. Thanks for ruining my life lads. :mad:

paul_oshea
23/11/2007, 12:23 PM
I cant think of that image at all, how you can put that image through yer head is beyond me.

anto1208
23/11/2007, 1:09 PM
I was going to see tommy before he was big before he got banned from the late late show and had to be protected leaving from the waiting mob outside ! good old ireland hey .

Thought his first DVD was very good and the 2nd one also since then i have found his shows fairly similar to early stuff and often repeats the jokes.

There has definetly been a decline in quality , and i know what you mean about his Irish fans laughing at anything, on Darcy this morning he was nt great yet they where falling around the place ( at least it sounded like that being on radio and all :D).

But you get fanatical fans like that in ireland its why Aslan can sell out gigs

MojoPin
23/11/2007, 4:54 PM
3 ****s and a good sketch to be honest great view on social attitudes....

KevB76
23/11/2007, 5:18 PM
I thought he was brillaint a few years back but he doesn't make me laugh like he used to.

sligoman
23/11/2007, 10:13 PM
He's on the late late in a few mins.

bennocelt
24/11/2007, 5:20 PM
I think Tommy Tiernan is a genius, really knows what its all about to be Irish, maybe some people cant understand his deep stuff..........

but having said all that he does attract a lot of people who arent really at his shows for the comedy but cause he is cool at the moment.........just look at his third DVd and you will see people laughing their heads off at the slightest thing even when there is no actual joke told

he most be making a mint all the same!

Paddyfield
24/11/2007, 6:39 PM
Mate of mine went to see him in Ennis. He was having a cheapshot at Disabled People as part of the show,something about how come Disabled People get the parking spaces nearest the door of buildings, A girl in a wheelchair was in the audience and he had a pop of her, she left in a huff. As she was leaving he thanked her for her 30 Euro Entry fee.

Thats not funny imo, just Bad ****.

That is shocking. He crossed the line.

I was at Des Bishop in the Town Hall Theatre in Galway earlier in the year and his jokes were getting very sexist (I can't for the life of me remember what he said but I do know that it wasn't funny). A young lady (18ish) behind me stood up and asked him to withdraw the remark but he refused, He tried to move on but she persisted. He was completely wrong footed and his show died after that. She and her 3 friends got up and left.

cheifo
24/11/2007, 8:20 PM
I think Tommy Tiernan is a genius, really knows what its all about to be Irish, maybe some people cant understand his deep stuff..........but having said all that he does attract a lot of people who arent really at his shows for the comedy but cause he is cool at the moment.........just look at his third DVd and you will see people laughing their heads off at the slightest thing even when there is no actual joke told

he most be making a mint all the same!

I think you are a comedy genius Bennocelt.:p

BohsPartisan
24/11/2007, 10:09 PM
Listen, if you're easily offended, stay in and have w cup of tea.I really don't get peple who go to stand up and get offended. Stuff like Bernard Mathews, sexist and racist for the sake of it but Tiernan and Co. have a kind of ironic twist on that that some people just don't seem to get. If you don't get it stay at home. Simple. For the record I agree with Bennocelt. Far too many Helen Lovejoys on this forum.

soccerc
24/11/2007, 10:15 PM
Stuff like Bernard Mathews

Yap, he was some turkey alright :D

cheifo
24/11/2007, 10:34 PM
I dont find him offensive I just think he is ****.He is right about one thing though Bill Hicks was the man.

BohsPartisan
25/11/2007, 8:58 AM
Yap, he was some turkey alright :D

:o
Manning of course.

TonyD
25/11/2007, 5:26 PM

I was at Des Bishop in the Town Hall Theatre in Galway earlier in the year and his jokes were getting very sexist (I can't for the life of me remember what he said but I do know that it wasn't funny). A young lady (18ish) behind me stood up and asked him to withdraw the remark but he refused, He tried to move on but she persisted. He was completely wrong footed and his show died after that. She and her 3 friends got up and left.

I've always thought Tommy Tiernan was excellent. Haven't seen too much of his recent stuff, but I'd be surprised if he's racist, never showed any signs of it before. Des Bishop on the other hand, I've just never got. His TV programme working on the minimum wage was quite good, but I just don't find him funny at all. I think there are 3 top notch Irish stand ups, Tommy Tiernan, Dylan Moran and Darragh O'Briain.

Paddyfield
25/11/2007, 6:22 PM
I think there are 3 top notch Irish stand ups, Tommy Tiernan, Dylan Moran and Darragh O'Briain.

Karl Spain and Maeve Higgins work best for me. :D

BohsPartisan
25/11/2007, 9:19 PM
Tommy Tiernan, Dylan Moran and Darragh O'Briain.
Not crazy about O'Brian. He actually did a bit at my induction day in UCD that was mildly amusing. Tiernan and Moran are class though.

cheifo
25/11/2007, 10:09 PM
Dylan Moran,Andrew Maxwell,John Delaney.

Billsthoughts
26/11/2007, 10:27 AM
Listen, if you're easily offended, stay in and have w cup of tea.I really don't get peple who go to stand up and get offended. Stuff like Bernard Mathews, sexist and racist for the sake of it but Tiernan and Co. have a kind of ironic twist on that that some people just don't seem to get. If you don't get it stay at home. Simple. For the record I agree with Bennocelt. Far too many Helen Lovejoys on this forum.

mmmmmmm...ironic twist?
In tiernans case this involved doing a "spasmo" voice for his down syndrome bit and a "goodness gracious me" or "me chinesey" voice for his immigrant bit.not ironic or offensive just crap....I was comparing him with Jim Davidson for the lameness of his material not the shocking nature of it. At least Bernard Manning was funny.

paul_oshea
26/11/2007, 10:32 AM
i would like to see tommy tiernan do that piece if one of his own kids had it. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be doing it.

the dub dempsey, i have only seen once, over here too, but he really is a class act. His voice or facial expression never changes throughout, its pure magic.

anto1208
26/11/2007, 12:36 PM

Thats ridiculous , that silly mare ruined the show for you and everyone else there because she didnt get the joke.

What kind of idiots go to see a comedian and get offended by a joke.

Its like that controversy in limerick where some helpers had taken two little handicapped fellas to see his show one of the guys keeps shouting out curse words and telling him the F off , Bishop who clearly cant see the audience from the stage thinks its a heckler and asks him the shut up, he doesnt so he asks if he has touretts. The the helpers get all up in arms with it. they took these two guys who they clearly know shout out this kinda stuff they dont tell Bishop they start ruining the show and its his fault for telling them to shut up !!!!!

Either everything is ok to slag or nothing is, as soon as you start protecting people from jokes you are saying there is something worng with them.

anto1208
26/11/2007, 12:46 PM
Oh look there is some silly bint on joe Duffy on about tommy now slagging down syndrome

TonyD
26/11/2007, 12:56 PM
At least Bernard Manning was funny.

:eek::eek:

passinginterest
26/11/2007, 1:11 PM
Oh look there is some silly bint on joe Duffy on about tommy now slagging down syndrome

Someone has been spending too much time on the football 365 forum.

I'm torn on the issue of whether or not one should be offended by a comedian, I'm open to slagging pretty much anything, but I think there is a line, where someone should stand up and say this has gone too far.
I'm just not sure where that line is.
If the comedy is good the joke will not be found offensive. It's nearly as much to do with timing and tone as anything.

Ash
26/11/2007, 1:12 PM
... Maeve Higgins work best for me. :D

Annoying - Yes ... Funny - No.

Saw Tommy Tiernan twice, once in Olympia and once in Dean Crowe (Athlone)
and thought he was quite funny. Then heard that he had another fella wrote
his jokes/material for him.

osarusan
26/11/2007, 1:20 PM
Listen, if you're easily offended, stay in and have w cup of tea.I really don't get peple who go to stand up and get offended.

What kind of idiots go to see a comedian and get offended by a joke.

Ok, BP and Anto, lets say that a Jewish person, a Holocaust survivor, goes to a stand-up show, and the comedian comes out with the following joke :

"Whats the difference between a Jew and an apple pie?"

(I won't give the answer because I'm sure you've all heard it and it is sick as ****).

Would you say that the Jewish attendee has no reason/right to be offended by the joke? Is the Holocaust fair game for comedians?

Obviously, mine is an extreme example, and I'm not comparing like with like. But I think the arguement that we have no right to say that a comedian's joke is out of line is a foolish arguement, based on the above example. There are some things that everybody considers "going too far". Likewise, there will be some things that some people consider acceptable, but others do not. Each person will draw the line at a diferent level.

Many people on this forum are unable to take even the wittiest, least inoffensive joke about their club....but people in wheelchairs shouldn't be offended when some comedian makes a joke about them?

Roadend
26/11/2007, 1:23 PM

I looked but I couldn't see her.....:p

Macy
26/11/2007, 1:26 PM
I think the whole "offensive" thing Tiernan is at is trying to push what people will laugh at and make people uncomfortable. Certainly that was the impression I got when I saw him at this craic a couple of years ago. Haven't seen his latest show to judge, unlike the ones that are phoning Joe Duffy now...

As for him in general, I think he can be brilliant at times. I think those times are getting less in each show I've seen though.

anto1208
26/11/2007, 1:47 PM
Ok, BP and Anto, lets say that a Jewish person, a Holocaust survivor, goes to a stand-up show, and the comedian comes out with the following joke :

"Whats the difference between a Jew and an apple pie?"

(I won't give the answer because I'm sure you've all heard it and it is sick as ****).

Would you say that the Jewish attendee has no reason/right to be offended by the joke? Is the Holocaust fair game for comedians?

Obviously, mine is an extreme example, and I'm not comparing like with like. But I think the arguement that we have no right to say that a comedian's joke is out of line is a foolish arguement, based on the above example. There are some things that everybody considers "going too far". Likewise, there will be some things that some people consider acceptable, but others do not. Each person will draw the line at a diferent level.

Many people on this forum are unable to take even the wittiest, least inoffensive joke about their club....but people in wheelchairs shouldn't be offended when some comedian makes a joke about them?

Do you laugh at south park that constantly takes the **** out of the holocaust ?

My problem would be if the Jewish guy laughed his arse off at the joke's about the black, Muslim, Iirsh , Amercian Guys but then gets offended when its his turn.

For example the girl that just rang joe duffy laughed at all the rest of the show slagging priests prob slagging African’s as he can do that accent but got offended at the down syndrome jokes then people rang up because the poor little “down syndromes” as they where refered to cant speak up for them selves. I find that idea that they cant speak up for themselves way more offensive than any joke. Any of the handicapped people I know are more than well able to speak up for themselves and hate the idea that people treat them like morons .

osarusan
26/11/2007, 1:53 PM
Do you laugh at south park that constantly takes the **** out of the holocaust ?

My problem would be if the Jewish guy laughed his arse off at the joke's about the black, Muslim, Iirsh , Amercian Guys but then gets offended when its his turn.

For example the girl that just rang joe duffy laughed at all the rest of the show slagging priests prob slagging African’s as he can do that accent but got offended at the down syndrome jokes then people rang up because the poor little “down syndromes” as they where refered to cant speak up for them selves. I find that idea that they cant speak up for themselves way more offensive than any joke. Any of the handicapped people I know are more than well able to speak up for themselves and hate the idea that people treat them like morons .
My point, which you've missed, is that some people will be offended by things others will not. Just because you are not offended by some of Tiernan's material doesn't mean others won't be.

Back to my original question - does a Holocaust survivor have any reason to be insulted by jokes about the Holocaust?

My point is that your statement of -

What kind of idiots go to see a comedian and get offended by a joke?
is all-inclusive, when it shouldn't be. It suggests that anybody who is insulted by any joke is an idiot, whereas I think my example shows that is not the case.

citizenerased
26/11/2007, 1:56 PM
I used to think he was good,,,even as a navan man i can firmly say he has lost it,,all he did was shout...dont want to be cynical, but maybe its becaus ehe gave up the coke..!!

He just roars now, and his observations arnt funny,, sound too contrived and rehearsed!!

anto1208
26/11/2007, 2:17 PM
My point, which you've missed, is that some people will be offended by things others will not. Just because you are not offended by some of Tiernan's material doesn't mean others won't be.

Back to my original question - does a Holocaust survivor have any reason to be insulted by jokes about the Holocaust?

My point is that your statement of -

is all-inclusive, when it shouldn't be. It suggests that anybody who is insulted by any joke is an idiot, whereas I think my example shows that is not the case.

1)I dont think a jewish person that gets easily offended at anti jew jokes should go see a comedian that tells haulacaust jokes and get offended by the jokes

2) Its just a joke

And also just because he is offended by it does that mean its ok for him to get up and ruin the show for everyone else ?

endabob1
26/11/2007, 2:22 PM
I have to admit I've only seen him live once and seen his dvd and I think he's quite funny but nowhere near the standard of Dylan Moran, Dara O'Brian or even David O'Doherty.

My mother was complaining about him but as I explained to her The thing about TT is he says at the begining of the show "This is not the real world, we're hear for a bit of craic and a laugh" if you don't accept that then it's not for you, go watch someone more pc.

On a slightly related topic, Ed Byrne used to be very funny but he's been on a serious slide in the last couple of years, I have a vision of Tiernan going the same way, his material just isn't original enough.

gilberto_eire
26/11/2007, 3:40 PM
1st DVD was absolutly brilliant(looked fairly young near enough the time he was on father ted id say),

2nd one..cracked?... was OK didnt laugh much but lots of smiles....

3rd one...loose?.... terrible, hated it tbh!!.....

really has got worse with every show...so much so i wouldnt watch another DVD after the last one

best thing about him is he lives down here!!

stojkovic
26/11/2007, 4:38 PM
I think he should just keep his mouth shut and concentrate on his Chelsea career.

Ash
27/11/2007, 1:04 PM
Comic refuses to drop Down Syndrome jokes
Tuesday November 27 2007

COMEDIAN Tommy Tiernan has refused to drop a routine from his sell-out
Dublin show that the families of people with Down Syndrome do not find funny.

The sharp-tongued comic is under fire for making comments during his run at
Vicar St about the benefits of getting people with the condition to courier drugs.

Half a dozen families have contacted Down Syndrome Ireland to complain that his
jokes are highly offensive to their relatives.

Full article
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/comic-refuses-to-drop-down-syndrome-jokes-1231118.html

cheifo
27/11/2007, 2:14 PM
Not a big fan of Russell Brand but I have to admit he was funny on the Late Late.Not as funny however as the people who send in those ridiculous text messages that appear on the bottom of the screen.During Jordans illuminating
interview:) messages appeared declaring the wan with the huge inflatable funbags to be "a great role model for young women"(I kid you not) and an "inspiration" to us all.I can only guess that some of the late late audience
have been necking Es.Also anyone else notice how talk shows are now more or less advertising vechicles for comedians and everybody else to flog their DVDs and Books.

BohsPartisan
27/11/2007, 6:15 PM
Read what the joke was today and have to say I rolled around the place laughing. I'm a sick f'ck though.

cheifo
27/11/2007, 9:57 PM
Read what the joke was today and have to say I rolled around the place laughing. I'm a sick f'ck though.
:D Granny meet Bohs Partizan, hes got a nice joke he wants to tell you.