PDA

View Full Version : 100 years ago: Bohs 2, Linfield 1

BohDiddley
23/11/2007, 8:10 AM
The good old days... ;)

23 November 1907
Irish Cup, quarter-final replay, at Dalymount Park
Bohemians 2, Linfield 1 (http://www.bohemians.ie/index.php/history/100-years-ago1.htm)

SolitudeRed
23/11/2007, 10:25 PM
Interesting stuff! what other southern teams played in the Irish league before the split?

Just checked and it was Cliftonville who ended up winning the Irish Cup that year;)

sonofstan
23/11/2007, 11:00 PM
Interesting stuff! what other southern teams played in the Irish league before the split?

Just checked and it was Cliftonville who ended up winning the Irish Cup that year;)

Us, Shels and St. James' Gate I think - maybe that Dundalk railway team? you want to look for Neil Garnham's Association Football in pre-Partition Ireland

dcfcsteve
24/11/2007, 12:49 AM

Bohs and Shels were the only southern clubs to have played in the League pre the split.

Dublin club Tritonville played a handful of games in the 1912/13 season before withdrawing.

St James Gate played in the latter stages of the Irish Cup, but never the league.

Quite a few other random southern teams made it to the quarters and beyond in the Irish Cup prior to the split, incl few regimental teams like BlackWatch Limerick (1892 Finalists) and Kings Own Rifles (Cork) ; plus the likes of Dublin University, Dublin Association, Freebooters FC (Dublin - 1901 Finalists) and Richmond Rovers (Dublin).

CollegeTillIDie
24/11/2007, 8:13 AM
Dublin University = Trinity College currently members of the Under 21 League to avoid people getting confused.
UCD won the IFA Intermediate Cup in 1915 defeating Portadown in the final.

holidaysong
24/11/2007, 1:14 PM
Dublin University FC is actually the rugby team here in Trinity and the football team is DUAFC. Confused me a bit when I was in first year..

Dodge
24/11/2007, 2:58 PM
Quite a few other random southern teams made it to the quarters and beyond in the Irish Cup prior to the split, incl few regimental teams like BlackWatch Limerick (1892 Finalists) and Kings Own Rifles (Cork) ; plus the likes of Dublin University, Dublin Association, Freebooters FC (Dublin - 1901 Finalists) and Richmond Rovers (Dublin).

Richmond ROver were another regimental team. Based out of Richmond Barracks in Inchicore

Lux Interior
25/11/2007, 12:41 AM
Bohs and Shels were the only southern clubs to have played in the League pre the split.

Dublin club Tritonville played a handful of games in the 1912/13 season before withdrawing.

St James Gate played in the latter stages of the Irish Cup, but never the league.

Tritonville played in - and completed - the 1912/13 Irish Senior League season (their one and only) when they finished bottom. They - along with Derry Celtic, who finished second-bottom - failed to gain re-election to the league for 1913/14, as the competition was cut from 10 to 8 teams.

dcfcsteve
25/11/2007, 9:00 PM
Flipping the coin onto its other side, Derry City were not the first northern team to take southern trophyware over the border.

Alton United from the Falls Rd in Belfast defied all expectations by beating Shels in the 1923 FAI Cup Final. They also beat Shelbourne United in the quarter finals on their way to that game.

gspain
26/11/2007, 7:17 AM

Cliftonville had won the 1907 cup final earlier in the year.

Bohs went on to win the cup that season beating Shels in the final after a replay. This was the first time Bohs took the cup south (although there was no border in those days.) Shels had won the cup in 1906, got revenge over Bohs in 1911 also after a replay and won again in 1920 thanks to a walkover in the final.

The Black Watch from Limerick (well Scottish regiment based in the city) reached the 1892 cup final by beating Cliftonville in the semi final but lost the final to Linfield. They were much the better side in the final but failed to score and lost out to seven offside goals. ;)

In 1897 Cliftonville won the cup by beating Curragh Co. Kildare Sherwood Foresters 3-1 in the final. A much better name that Kildare County I'm sure you'll agree.

dcfcsteve
26/11/2007, 11:06 AM
To add to the peculiar mix of Irish footbal history- Linfield, Distillery and Cliftonville all entered the FA Cup in the late 1800's (at that time, the Cup covered teams from the 4 nations).

Linfield played Notts Forest and Queens Park, Cliftonville played Partick Thistle, and Distillery played Bolton

Linfield also played Cardiff City in the FA Cup in 1922.

gspain
26/11/2007, 2:27 PM
To add to the peculiar mix of Irish footbal history- Linfield, Distillery and Cliftonville all entered the FA Cup in the late 1800's (at that time, the Cup covered teams from the 4 nations).

Linfield played Notts Forest and Queens Park, Cliftonville played Partick Thistle, and Distillery played Bolton

Linfield also played Cardiff City in the FA Cup in 1922.

do you have details of the Cardiff game? Never knew about that one.

dcfcsteve
26/11/2007, 7:48 PM
do you have details of the Cardiff game? Never knew about that one.

Doing research into these games at the moment for a book I'm writing.

Will report back once I get the full details from newspaper articles over Christmas.

Dodge
26/11/2007, 9:25 PM
Here's the results of the 1922 FA Cup http://www.fa-cupfinals.co.uk/1922.html No sign of Linfield. I'm fairly certain Linfield had the claim to fame of being the only side not to lose in the FA Cup (having drawn the first game and Nottm Forest resusing to travel for replay but somehow being awarded the tie)

I think cliftonville won a round too before playing Partick

rebelarmyexile
26/11/2007, 11:33 PM

Quite a few other random southern teams made it to the quarters and beyond in the Irish Cup prior to the split, incl few regimental teams like BlackWatch Limerick (1892 Finalists) and Kings Own Rifles (Cork) ; plus the likes of Dublin University, Dublin Association, <b>Freebooters FC <b>(Dublin - 1901 Finalists) and Richmond Rovers (Dublin).

Freebooters were a Cork based side. Unless they were two by the same name?

rebelarmyexile
26/11/2007, 11:35 PM
Richmond ROver were another regimental team. Based out of Richmond Barracks in Inchicore

How come the Army then was much better at footie than the sh*ggin FCA and their big brother?

dcfcsteve
26/11/2007, 11:58 PM

They're listed as a Dublin Club in the books I use for source material (e.g. Football in NI - a Statistical Record 1881-2005).

SolitudeRed
27/11/2007, 1:56 AM
Cliftonville had won the 1907 cup final earlier in the year.

your right I got mixed up! Cliftonville won it the year after in 1908/9 as well!

Didn't know about the FA cup participation! what were the results for the Irish teams involved then?

Dodge
27/11/2007, 9:18 AM
Cliftonville played in the 1886/1887 FA Cup

http://www.fchd.info/cups/facup1886-87.htm

First Round
Blackburn Park Road 2-2 Cliftonville
Cliftonville 7-2 Blackburn Park Road (replay)

Second Round
Great Lever 1-3 Cliftonville

Third Round
Cliftonville 0-11 Partick Thistle

The Following year
http://www.the-english-football-archive.com/domestic_competitions/results/fa_cup/1888.htm

First Round
Church 2-1 Cliftonville (:D)

Dodge
27/11/2007, 9:21 AM
Distillery played in the 1887/1888

http://www.the-english-football-archive.com/domestic_competitions/results/fa_cup/1888.htm

First Round
Blackburn Park 2-1 Distillery (Blackburn park then withdrew)

Second Round
Distillery 2-4 Witton

Dodge
27/11/2007, 9:33 AM
AFAIK Linfield only played one FA Cup competition, in 1888/89

http://www.the-english-football-archive.com/domestic_competitions/results/fa_cup/1889.htm

First Round
Nottingham Forest 2-2 Linfield
Linfield - Nottingham Forest (Game awarded to Nottm Forest 2-0)

dcfcsteve
27/11/2007, 10:36 AM
Distillery also played in the 1890 Cup - losing 10:2 at home to Bolton Wanderers.

I'm fairly sure the games mentioned above for Cliftonville prior to Partick, and for Distillery all the ones above, where the earlier 'qualifying' rounds - similar to current times. The FA Cup proper games only kicked-in once you played the big boys (i.e. Bolton, Partick, Forest).

gspain
27/11/2007, 10:39 AM

There were 2 different clubs using the name Freebooters. The dublin club mentioned here that competed in the early part of the last century.

There was a Cork club of the same name that played at least once in the FAI Cup (Shelbourne 1949 if I recall correctly).

Dodge
27/11/2007, 10:59 AM
Distillery also played in the 1890 Cup - losing 10:2 at home to Bolton Wanderers.

I'm fairly sure the games mentioned above for Cliftonville prior to Partick, and for Distillery all the ones above, where the earlier 'qualifying' rounds - similar to current times. The FA Cup proper games only kicked-in once you played the big boys (i.e. Bolton, Partick, Forest).

For the Cliftonville and Distillery seasons where they won through rounds, all teams played in the first round (including all three you mentioned plus finalists Aston Villa, West Brom & Preston)

historynut
28/11/2007, 7:42 PM
DODGE - Interested to see your note re Richmond Rovers, aware history of Richmond Park associated with millitry. Did'nt realise they were millitry, (knowing Dublin abit actually wondered if they were Drumcondra based - Richmond Road thats Tolka Park's street if correct) apart from IFA Cup semi-finalists 1901-02, they were quarter-finalist's 1899-1900, Leinster Senior Cup finalist's 1898/99,Leinster Junior Cup winners 1897-98 and Leinster Junior League champs same season (Double at Leinster Junior Level).
Aware also ex-league members Brideville played at Richmond Park. May I enquire your source re millitry team ?
On different theme note inaugral FAI season 1921/22 Frankfort's ground shown as Richmond Road- Question was this earlier name for Tolka Park, or was there another ground in Richmond Road (know Drumcondra now play across road on park pitch - would that have been acceptable in 1920's- ).
CORK FREEBOOTERS
Played in FAI Cup rnd 1 sunday 20/02/1949 (48/49 season) v Shelbourne , lost 0-3, played at "the Mardyke". Also qualified for the Munster Senior Cup Semi-final same season losing to Waterford 1-6 in Cork (Sunday 21/11/1948 venue ?), must have been quite a season as they were also Munster Senior League Champions and IFA Intermediate Cup Runners up (1-3, after 1-1 draw, v St PATS Ath) team- 1-11 - Bowen,Kelleher,Brockie,Warner,Noonan,Taylor,Hourih an,Phillips,McNamee,Cotter,Goldsmith, in first match O'Riordan played instead of McNamee. scorers game 1 - Hourihan, game 2 - Phillips.
MSL membership 1934/35 10th/10, 1935/36 9th/10, 1942/43 Resigned after 3 games and 20 goals conceded, 1945/46 pos ?, 1946/47 10th/10 (nb only 1 series of matches played, ie 10 teams 9 games not 18), 1947/48 pos ?, Beamish Cup & Burkley Cup runners/up, 1948/49 1st/7 Pld 12 w10 l2 f34-15a pts 20, had to win last match to clinch title, also won Elvery Cup, 1949/50 3rd/9, 1951/52 ?, .
They were based in the Lower Road area of Tivoli in City.
Obtained from history of MSL "Beyond the Picket Fences" by Gerry Desmond & Dave Galvin. There is a team picture of Freebooters on page 40 - regret do not have scanner.
DCFC-STEVE - Please see pm

Is someones grandfather mentioned there ?