PDA

View Full Version : U21 V Holland

joe
14/08/2001, 9:08 AM
heard on the radio this morning that the match was going ahead in the RSC in Waterford. wasn't it supposed to be on in Flancare Park?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Xlex
14/08/2001, 9:24 AM
I think it was the Rep. against Greece.

Daxion
15/08/2001, 5:46 PM
I believe the Cyprus U21 game is in Longford in October

Gerry Desmond
16/08/2001, 10:29 AM
I heard:
Holland U21 @ RSC
Cyprus U21 @ Flancare

There is a little known rule in the FAI that such games must never, ever be played in Cork again - for all time.

Gerry :mad:

BTW: Not sour grapes with WUFC & LTFC: best wishes to both clubs with the games!

James
16/08/2001, 10:40 AM
in all fairness Gerry where would be play them in cork that has proper facilities.
hardly the X:D

Gerry Desmond
16/08/2001, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by James
in all fairness Gerry where would be play them in cork that has proper facilities.
hardly the X:D

Well, if we can play IFK Gothenburg there, or accomodate 6,000 people v Celtic, why not a U21 game? We hosted U21 games there before when the facilities were atrocious.
The U21 game v the Yugoslavs was 'postponed' because of the political/visa situation, but when the game was refixed it wasn't in Cork!
There's supposed to be U19 games in November at the X, but it must be a least 10 years since we saw the U21 at the venue....:confused:

Gerry

BTW, I'm not paranoid...Leonard's doctor told me so.

Citymark
16/08/2001, 12:10 PM
Last U21 game in Turners X was Ireland v England back in 93/94 (guess). Fergus O'Donoghue was playing and nearly scored a craker of an OG. I think we lost 3 nil. None of the stands or seats were there at that stage!

James
16/08/2001, 12:31 PM
Well, if we can play IFK Gothenburg there, or accomodate 6,000 people v Celtic, why not a U21 game? We hosted U21 games there before when the facilities were atrocious.

pitch isnt good enough, toilets are a joke
flancare and most other NL pitches are better

pete
16/08/2001, 12:40 PM
Build them floodlights at turners cross & them u-21 games will come.

Simple as that?

No one will watch an underage game at 4pm or similar time.

Gerry Desmond
16/08/2001, 12:47 PM

pitch isnt good enough, toilets are a joke
flancare and most other NL pitches are better

The pitch may not be top class at the minute, but has it been like this for the past ten years? Methinks not. I've seen Serie A games played on worse & for a couple of seasons Man Ure played on the worst pitch in Western Europe...

This is the 2nd biggest city in the country; there is a reason why games are not coming to Cork and it ain't the jax. Let's not kid ourselves that it is otherwise...

Gerry

James
16/08/2001, 12:47 PM
floodlights..thats an MFA problem. think we'll be waiting on that score, as they own the ground

Gerry Desmond
16/08/2001, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Citymark
Last U21 game in Turners X was Ireland v England back in 93/94 (guess). Fergus O'Donoghue was playing and nearly scored a craker of an OG. I think we lost 3 nil. None of the stands or seats were there at that stage!

November 1990, but who's counting? :)

Fergie played all right, as did Roy Keane, Paul McCarthy and (then) future City man Declan Roche.

Gerry

PS I might make a programme article out of this rant yet...
:D

Gerry Desmond
16/08/2001, 12:57 PM
floodlights..thats an MFA problem. think we'll be waiting on that score, as they own the ground

To quote MFA Chairman re floodlights:

"The Munster FA are in no hurry to erect floodlights at this time".

BUT

"If Cork City, as our tenants, were to suggest doing the job, then we would have to look at things again".

As reported by Noel Spillane, Evening Echo 01.08.01

Gerry

joe
16/08/2001, 1:05 PM
well, if it was in the echo..........

Gerry Desmond
16/08/2001, 2:14 PM
Originally posted by joe
well, if it was in the echo..........

I'm not privvy to what the MFA thinks, but it seems to me that, like landlords everywhere, the bare essentials are all that need to be done in the MFA's view.
City for their part are supposed to be *partners* in the ground development with the MFA and this would appear to me to elevate them beyond mere tenant status. They should have a greater input into the plan than just making 'suggestions'.
I assume there is a plan for the complete development of the ground, but it is pretty much considered to be a state secret. Only recently was it made public knowledge that the plan incorporated covering the St Anne's End for instance.
When City were based in Bishopstown they got, and all the other NL clubs got grants for floodlights. At the same time the MFA got money to install lights in TX.
I'm not saying who is right or wrong in this situation BUT why does there ALWAYS have to be so much political incompetence/infighting/time wasting/lack of foresight/lack of urgency etc etc etc with everything associated with Cork football.
Recent City fans can only remember TX with seating, stand club shop etc. They should have seen it 20-25 years ago...
Longford have shown us what can be done when the will is there to do it: they have embarrassed us.

Gerry

BTW, I know LTFC own Flancare Park and that makes them masters of their own fate. Well, City owned Bishopstown and still managed to shag things up.