PDA

View Full Version : If Nord Iron has Qualified

Pages : [1] 2 3

an_ceannaire
22/11/2007, 1:04 PM
Would anyone here have genuinley rooted for them in the Euro's?
Be honest.
Straight up, me, no way. Not a hope in Hong Kong. Sorry.

And no i am not one of the Rangers Boo Boys, I just could not support them.

Apologies if this is a previous thread I missed. Have been "away" for a while!:D

Hibernian
22/11/2007, 1:08 PM
NO

Reason??

Would they support us hell no

Been told by my elders when Norn Iron were in WC 82 & 86 most of this country were going for them but when we had success of our own they were against us.:eek:

Im just being honest here.

an_ceannaire
22/11/2007, 1:11 PM
pretty much agree
i remember 86 and being in a pub in Limk and loads were rooting for them. Then I remember Jimmy Quinn, Billy Bingham, Windsor Park and so help me god i hope we get them in the WC quals and humiliate them something terrible.
Nothing individually against Nordies but as a whole, as an OWC Collective, No way.
I am prob just bringing myself down to their level here. But no way. England before Nord Iron

gustavo
22/11/2007, 1:11 PM
I'd have supported them , Like the way they make the most of their ability.

an_ceannaire
22/11/2007, 1:14 PM
nothing against the players, and have huge respect for the likes of J Evans, D Healy and so forth, but when you hear their fans with the "one team in ireland" sh*te when they are over 1000 miles away in Spain..........
Feic them

superfrank
22/11/2007, 1:16 PM
I would have supported them. The passion and devotion of their fans is incredible.

an_ceannaire
22/11/2007, 1:18 PM
The passion and devotion they showed to Neil Lennon is it?
The passion and devotion they showed that night in Windsor Park is it?
Or the second night when we whipped them in Windson....is it?
Never forget Keanos goal that night
Magic

superfrank
22/11/2007, 1:19 PM
but when you hear their fans with the "one team in ireland" sh*te when they are over 1000 miles away in Spain..........
Feic them
I went to one of those North vs. South friendlies for some charity in Landsdowne in 1999, IIRC, and all the Southerners were singing "You'll never beat the Irish"......next thing the North scored and won the game.

Don't be fooled, there are plenty of people down here who have that exact same mentality and believe that the Republic is the "real" Ireland.

superfrank
22/11/2007, 1:20 PM
The passion and devotion they showed to Neil Lennon is it?
The passion and devotion they showed that night in Windsor Park is it?
Or the second night when we whipped them in Windson....is it?
Never forget Keanos goal that night
Magic
Following a crap team all around Europe for the last few years, and in impressive numbers, is definitely devotion and passion.

micls
22/11/2007, 1:25 PM
Yep I'd support them.

DaveyCakes
22/11/2007, 1:38 PM
I remember 82 and 86. Most people in the Republic supported them.

Maroon 7
22/11/2007, 1:45 PM
Not a chance.

Back in the days when we were innocent I think most people supported them at the 82 and 86 WC's. Then Windsor Park in 93 happened which opened most people's eyes to what they thought of us all along. A bigger shower of bitter barstewards you'd be hard pressed to find and having seen the antics of some of their fans when passing through Dublin airport then to quote The Who. Won't be fooled again.

TheBoss
22/11/2007, 1:46 PM
How can you support them, their fans hate Rep of Ireland, they boo their best player cause he played for Celtic and yet, they do not boo Sproule and he plays for Hibs, they are a confusing lot.

Listening to Worthington at the end of the game;

''We stick together, that is our country is about''

Northern Ireland is not really a country.

dcfcsteve
22/11/2007, 2:06 PM
I'd follow their performance with interest, and probably would support them for lack of alternative options.

You armchair Republicans do realise the war is over, Sinn Fein is in government with the DUP, the two of them are busy stitching up the SDLP, and peace has broken out up north, don't you.....? :confused:

P.S. It's Norn Iron - not Nord Iron.

an_ceannaire
22/11/2007, 2:08 PM
You will get a few heads with self loving PC Complexes who think they are above all that. Oh cop on, grow up.....the same people who tell you anyone who dares to support Celtic is an IRA Terrorist. These lads like to bask in their own superiority and look down on the rest of us mere mortals. Of course we will support them , not like you neandrethals etc etc
Well listen mate, best of luck to you. A large number of the same Norn Iron fans would have been present that night in 93 and lord knows what they were chanting that night......

Fock them and the horse they rode in on, i am delighted they didnt qualify.
And i sincerely hope we get them in the WC
I am such a bad person arent i...............:rolleyes:

micls
22/11/2007, 2:12 PM
You will get a few heads with self loving PC Complexes who think they are above all that.

I'm confused. What's PC about not hating them?

I love when people draw that in and try to use it as an insult.
I would support them as we aren't in it, I don't and have no reason to dislike or hate them and they are our closest neighbours.

Also had a fantastic trip to Windsor(apart from the result) last year where we were treated like royalty.

Get over yourself, I couldnt care less about you or who you do or don't support let alone be botlered looking down on you beacuse of it.

gustavo
22/11/2007, 2:12 PM
You will get a few heads with self loving PC Complexes who think they are above all that. Oh cop on, grow up.....the same people who tell you anyone who dares to support Celtic is an IRA Terrorist. These lads like to bask in their own superiority and look down on the rest of us mere mortals. Of course we will support them , not like you neadrethals etc etc
Well listen mate, best of luck to you. A large number of the same Norn Iron fans would have been present that night in 93 and lord knows what they were chanting that night......

People in the North are moving on , trying to create a better future for themselves and here's you glad to stay in the past because of the bad atmosphere at a football game in a vastly different time for the island , well done!

dcfcsteve
22/11/2007, 2:21 PM
You will get a few heads with self loving PC Complexes who think they are above all that. Oh cop on, grow up.....the same people who tell you anyone who dares to support Celtic is an IRA Terrorist. These lads like to bask in their own superiority and look down on the rest of us mere mortals. Of course we will support them , not like you neandrethals etc etc

Fock them and the horse they rode in on, i am delighted they didnt qualify.
And i sincerely hope we get them in the WC
I am such a bad person arent i...............:rolleyes:

All of which makes you no better than the minority of NI fans you are castigating.

Moving with the times does not make me some sort of PC freak, and your desire to attack a Northern Irish person for ANY view they have on the Norn Irish team simply highlights how insecure you are in your own arguement.

And I will not accept a lecture on the North from someone who has had the safety of being born and bred hundreds of miles from there, yet reckons he can tell us Nordies whats best for us.

Enjoy wallowing in your bitterness mo chara....

jbyrne
22/11/2007, 2:22 PM
but when you hear their fans with the "one team in ireland" sh*te when they are over 1000 miles away in Spain..........
Feic them

we sang the same when handing them a 3 nil thrashing in '93 in lansdowne

i would support them had they qualified. you would actually be surprised at how many of them would be keen enough to see us do well despite what you may be led to believe. much of their attitude after windsor park '93 (except among the complete biggots) was that they were glad to have given us a fright but didnt really want to put us out. they were much more concerned with delight that england had been knocked out that same night. i'm sure that some on here may be able to correct me on that but thats what i heard

an_ceannaire
22/11/2007, 2:23 PM
ok so the norn iron fans who still sing sectarian songs, still hate neil lennon and still regualrly belt out the billy boys are moving on and have a new found love for all things green white and gold have they
GET OVER YOURSELVES!
Funny thing is, the norn iron fans i speak of, and there are many, would laugh at you!!!

an_ceannaire
22/11/2007, 2:26 PM
tell me this so and be honest, not PC be HONEST.
If you took a straw poll of the Norn Iron fans last night ok, and asked them, if ROI qualf for the EC would you support them in your absence.....
Tell me, honeslty.....what way do you think that poll would have went.
Tell the truth.......
And then when you have reasoned that to yourself and come up with the answer, and u know deep down what it would be, tell me, in that case, why should I support them????

dcfcsteve
22/11/2007, 2:26 PM
have a new found love for all things green white and gold

The beautiful irony of a young defender of mother Ireland such as yourself not actually knowing what colour the nation's flag is...... :o

Article 7, Bunreacht na hÉireann.....

an_ceannaire
22/11/2007, 2:28 PM
DCFC = Pedant
why not just go the whole hog and correct my spellings too :cool:
ure so cool!!!!

jmurphyc
22/11/2007, 2:30 PM
If you took a straw poll of the Norn Iron fans last night ok, and asked them, if ROI qualf for the EC would you support them in your absence.....
Tell the truth.......
And then when you have reasoned that to yourself and come up with the answer, and u know deep down what it would be, tell me, in that case, why should I support them????

Don't really see what this has to do with this. Portugal will be the team I support for the tournament. I doubt the whole of Portugal would be primarily rooting for Ireland if we qualified and they didn't but that won't stop me from supporting them.

dcfcsteve
22/11/2007, 2:30 PM
Tell the truth.......

Frankly I don't care.

I'm not obsessed about the views of others. I can make my own views and decisions on things, without needing to see if someone else has attempted to hurt my sense of national pride beforehand.

Times are changing. You are no better than those NI fans you are castigating here, as both of you refuse to move into the 21st Century....

I'd concern myself more with the attitude of a minority of the people of Liomerick to, well - pretty much everyone else on the planet if I was in your shoes...

Green Tribe
22/11/2007, 2:33 PM
Can see where this thread is going, but I would also support the North had they qualified, I was born and brought up there so why not. It's my "region"
I admire the balls they showed against the likes of Spain, Denmark and Sweden and I am glad things are changing for the better.

micls
ok so the norn iron fans who still sing sectarian songs, still hate neil lennon and still regualrly belt out the billy boys are moving on
Yes they are, and Im sure EG and co could correct you on the rubbish in your post. Im sure theres still a few idiots who try the above but the majority of them chant songs in support of their team. Every coutnry has its idiots, we're far from short of them ourselves.

The NI real fans have put incredible work into weeing this out of their game and are a credit to thier team.

and have a new found love for all things green white and gold have they
GET OVER YOURSELVES!

Who said they have a love for green white and gold.....or even green whte and orange :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, the norn iron fans i speak of, and there are many, would laugh at you!!!
So your not speaking of all of them? Is it a specific gang, or the lot of them?

Also, am I supposed to care what they think?

Tell the truth.......

I couldn't give a crap how they'd respond tbh.

No one's saying you should support them, maybe you missed that in your ranting.

but I have every righ to support them for whatever reasons I choose despite your 'pc' nonsense

dcfcsteve
DCFC = Pedant
why not just go the whole hog and correct my spellings too :cool:
ure so cool!!!!

Spelling something wrong is forgiveable and easily done.

Getting the flag of your country wrong is simply unforgiveable. Particularly in the context of a debate where you seem intent upon metaphorically wrapping yourself in that flag.

paul_oshea
22/11/2007, 2:35 PM
lads its not even a generation ago that ceannaire speaks of, its a decade, so ye have to understand a lot of what he says is correct. I can see where he is coming from with this uber PC stuff.

But let me finish with this, i have many NI friends, and would have been happy for them, would i have supported them?! I am not sure, but I would have been happy for them if they won. No point in being bitter, only gets yourself worked up. Unless of course its England and that is always worth getting worked up about. Did anyone see "THE GREATEST FANS IN THE WORLD" boo them at half time- sing half way through - and then boo them again, they dont deserve to be anywhere near the Euros.

"Southerners" did wake up after 93 alright.

micls
22/11/2007, 2:38 PM
I can see where he is coming from with this uber PC stuff.

You can see where he's coming from claiming that people he doesn't know are only supporting them to be PC?....

Tbh I couldnt care less if he spends his nights burning pictures of ther players and singing anti NI songs, its the assuming that other people are only being 'PC' by supporting them is what ****es me off.

jmurphyc
22/11/2007, 2:43 PM
You can see where he's coming from claiming that people he doesn't know are only supporting them to be PC?....

Tbh I couldnt care less if he spends his nights burning pictures of ther players and singing anti NI songs, its the assuming that other people are only being 'PC' by supporting them is what ****es me off.

Exactly. Some people would support them, some people wouldn't. Who gives a f**k?

paul_oshea
22/11/2007, 2:55 PM

No, althought he didnt come across like that micls, what he was saying that those who jumped on him for saying what he was saying etc....

OwlsFan
22/11/2007, 3:06 PM
Of course we should support them. They are our people, orange, green or neither, although many of them don't realise that ;)

an_ceannaire
22/11/2007, 3:09 PM
Cheers Paul, thought they were all gonna hunt me down and burn me at the stake there in a celtic shirt for crimes against peace and solidarity just for having an opinion!!!
As i said earlier, i have nothing against NI players, and nothing against Northern fans individually, but as a collective i find many of them abhorrent. I dont hate them for sectarian reasons, i refuse to support a country, many of whose fans, a very large minority, actually hate me and anyone else who dares to be born in the Republic, just because I happen to be from the South. If you hate me.....i aint gonna like you!!!

jbyrne
22/11/2007, 3:10 PM
ok so the norn iron fans who still sing sectarian songs, still hate neil lennon and still regualrly belt out the billy boys

this type is in the minority. anyway, the question was would you support the north if they qualified not would you support their supporters

sure some of the posts on this forum illustrate hatred towards some of our own players... john oshea anyone?

Green Tribe
22/11/2007, 3:16 PM
Cheers Paul, thought they were all gonna hunt me down and burn me at the stake there in a celtic shirt for crimes against peace and solidarity just for having an opinion!!!
As i said earlier, i have nothing against NI players, and nothing against Northern fans individually, but as a collective i find many of them abhorrent. I dont hate them for sectarian reasons, i refuse to support a country, many of whose fans, a very large minority, actually hate me and anyone else who dares to be born in the Republic, just because I happen to be from the South. If you hate me.....i aint gonna like you!!!

:rolleyes::eek:

endabob1
22/11/2007, 3:23 PM
I'd support them

reder
22/11/2007, 3:31 PM
Much like England or any other home nation, I would keep a special eye out for their results but would gain any pleasure or suffer any pain as a result.

I would love it if we got to play them in the near future. It would be interesting to see what sort of reception we would get up there. I for one would travel for definite. Also, it would be very interesting to see what sort of reception they would get here, particularly if it was in C***e park. I suspect that we might be made more welcome up there as every southern knuckle dragger will come along to the game here. As previously said, NI have cleaned up their act big time on that front.

jmurphyc
22/11/2007, 3:40 PM
I suspect that we might be made more welcome up there as every southern knuckle dragger will come along to the game here.

I seriously doubt that they'd get a bad reception here. The England rugby game was a far far bigger occasion and there was no bad blood whatsoever.

reder
22/11/2007, 3:43 PM
I seriously doubt that they'd get a bad reception here. The England rugby game was a far far bigger occasion and there was no bad blood whatsoever.

Rugby crowds are far more civilised than football fans.

cheifo
22/11/2007, 3:45 PM
Three reasons why I would wish them good luck
1)My national flag symbolises peace between Green and Orange.
2)They are a fiesty underdog
3)I am a wishy washy liberal.

Green Tribe
22/11/2007, 3:45 PM

exactly

jmurphyc
22/11/2007, 3:49 PM

The crowd that you get at Ireland games is generally very civilised in my opinion. The crowd at Croke Park games is arguably a bit too civilised IMO in the sense that it's all event junkies and there's no atmosphere. Besides, most people wouldn't want trouble at a stadium like Croke Park. You say that everyone would come out of the woodwork, but that anyone who wanted to protest that badly against England could have got tickets to the game.

paul_oshea
22/11/2007, 3:52 PM
I just lied, I think. I was hoping they would beat Spain last night, so ya I would support them I think, not as a proper fan but id be happy for them and for them to do well. Does that constitute support? I dont know! I support ROIreland, I dont really support anyone else. So I stilll think it means I wouldnt support them. Support is about going through thick and thin ( or go to their matches, although had they qualified and I was going to EURO 08 I would go and cheer them on, convenience more than anything I think though )and helping something/someone out, and I dont feel the need toward NI for that, just because they got into a WC or EC I dont think that should change.

So, as I categorise it, I dont think anyone here would actually support them. Happy to see them do well, but support no.

Torn-Ado
22/11/2007, 4:36 PM
I wouldn't support them. I wouldn't take delight in their defeat either. Basically i'd be indifferent.

Btw Reder: I dare you to write a post on this site that doesn't have any anti-GAA insinuations. Go on. I dare ya!

mypost
22/11/2007, 5:42 PM
One word,

No.

Ceirtlis
22/11/2007, 11:11 PM
No i wouldnt support them, i was up for Spain last night. Its not hate or anything and im not really all that into the ra nonsense but im set on default to want them to lose.

cheifo
22/11/2007, 11:32 PM
We really have a lot to worry about in life dont we.:p

osarusan
23/11/2007, 12:49 AM
yes, I would. I'd be keen for them to do well, but not too bothered of they didn't. A kind of half-support really.

reder
23/11/2007, 8:12 AM
Btw Reder: I dare you to write a post on this site that doesn't have any anti-GAA insinuations. Go on. I dare ya!

I accept your challenge! Before the year is out, I will attempt to write a thread containing no anti- _ _ _ insinuations. :D