PDA

View Full Version : Lawrenson's "we" again

Pages : [1] 2

an_ceannaire
22/11/2007, 10:41 AM
Anyone notice it again last night
why didnt he just play for them.....he would have walked into their squad at the time.

John83
22/11/2007, 10:43 AM
He was born there. Who gives a damn? And yes, people did notice - it was in another thread.

Dodge
22/11/2007, 10:50 AM
Anybody who cares about this is an absolute ****.

To answer the question he didn't play for England becaue he wasn't picked

Billsthoughts
22/11/2007, 10:51 AM
wasnt he a late bloomer and ireland got him before england noticed how good he was? and agree with all the above posters. apart from the first one.

OwlsFan
22/11/2007, 11:31 AM
He's talking to an English audience so no harm in saying "we". Wouldn't get my knickers (if I wore any) in a twist over it.

Maroon 7
22/11/2007, 11:33 AM
Whatever about his liberal use of "we" my personal favourite Lawro moment last night was..

Motson: Say something Mark?

Lawro: I can't.

:D

SÓC
22/11/2007, 11:36 AM
I remember years ago after a poor showing by England Lawro was on Football Focus, he was asked what could England do to improve things, his reponse was that he didnt care about England, he's an Ireland fan!

Dont see the problem with him saying we for England on English tv tbh

MyTown
22/11/2007, 11:38 AM
Whatever about his liberal use of "we" my personal favourite Lawro moment last night was..

Motson: Say something Mark?

Lawro: I can't.

Mine was when Lawro blurted that the Croations had subjected England to an abject lesson on the night.

I presume he meant the lesson was object while England's performance was abject...but with Lawro & Motty, you never know.

gustavo
22/11/2007, 11:43 AM
Mine was when Lawro blurted that the Croations had subjected England to an abject lesson on the night.

I presume he meant the lesson was object while England's performance was abject...but with Lawro & Motty, you never know.

I think abject can be used in that context too , I think it can also mean humiliating or words to that effect.

Lim till i die
22/11/2007, 11:44 AM
Maybe it was the royal we - as in "we are not amused"??

Although this theory only opens up another can of worm for the four green fields brigade

jbyrne
22/11/2007, 11:46 AM
leave lawro alone. may not have been born here but a very proud Irishman and i know that for a fact. so what if he used "we". i also heard him say refer to england (rather than we) on numerous occasions. he is commentating on an eng match for eng tv so big deal.
if trevor steven or souness said "we" in relation to the Irish team or an Irish player while commentating on rte do you really think that it would lead to a thread such as this on an eng or scotish forum? ... i doubt it

John83
22/11/2007, 11:48 AM
if trevor steven or souness said "we" in relation to the Irish team or an Irish player while commentating on rte do you really think that it would lead to a thread such as this on an eng or scotish forum? ... i doubt it
And if Souness used 'we' for England, I imagine there'd be no end of Scots unhappy. You're not using a fair comparison.

MyTown
22/11/2007, 11:55 AM
I think Lawro is the best contributor on Football Focus, MOTD and to the Irish Times. He was a great servant for us & scored the last meaningful away goal in qualifying tournaments.

osarusan
22/11/2007, 12:02 PM
Haven't we had this debate before? I personally couldn't care less. Given that he was born and has lived pretty much all his life in England, perhaps he considers himself somewhat English, despite his caps for Ireland.

Dodge
22/11/2007, 12:11 PM
I remember years ago after a poor showing by England Lawro was on Football Focus, he was asked what could England do to improve things, his reponse was that he didnt care about England, he's an Ireland fan!

He said in a completely jokey way BTW. As I've said I coulddn't care less and don't think he's done anything wrong

London-Irish
22/11/2007, 12:21 PM
Is this the same as Terry Wogan saying 'we' when he was on the BBC for the Eurovision Song Contest as the Uk entry came on? Wogan's comments made the front page of the Irish Post newspaper in London.

paudie
22/11/2007, 12:26 PM
I think Lawro is the best contributor on Football Focus, MOTD and to the Irish Times. He was a great servant for us & scored the last meaningful away goal in qualifying tournaments.

I thought that was Gary Mackay?;)

paudie
22/11/2007, 12:29 PM

Have to disagree with you (not on the great servant bit of course).

Don't read him in the Times but on BBC he comes across as a smug, not particularly knowledgeable, smartarse IMHO.

He is better than Ian Wright though, I'll give him that.

London-Irish
22/11/2007, 12:31 PM
Both said WE on the BBC?

Stuttgart88
22/11/2007, 12:31 PM
Come on An Ceanaire, there are about 10 open threads on some of the most interesting topics being discussed here in a long while and your only contribution is Lawrenson's use of "we"?

DaveyCakes
22/11/2007, 12:33 PM
Is this the same as Terry Wogan saying 'we' when he was on the BBC for the Eurovision Song Contest as the Uk entry came on? Wogan's comments made the front page of the Irish Post newspaper in London.

That says more about the Irish Post than it does about Terry Wogan. Grow up for christ's sake

John83
22/11/2007, 12:50 PM
Wogan was born in Limerick ("Limerick never left me, whatever it is, my identity is Limerick."), Lawrenson in Preston, and is a third generation immigrant.

superfrank
22/11/2007, 12:56 PM
Terry Wogan is a knight. IIRC, he's lived in England since he was 15. How dare he claim allegiance to a county he's spent 40-odd years living in?

London-Irish
22/11/2007, 2:01 PM
Most Irish people who have lived in the Uk a lot longer - plus their children who would never dream of claiming allegiance to the UK.

gustavo
22/11/2007, 2:02 PM
Different strokes for different folks , who really cares anyway.

dcfcsteve
22/11/2007, 2:09 PM
Post-colonial hangover/chip on shoulder.

If an English or French person living in Ireland for years who had adopted the country as their own, said 'we' when talking about Ireland, then you's wouldn't blink an eyelid. Let alone one who's been working in that country's media for decades.

dcfcsteve
22/11/2007, 2:11 PM

No grammatical error there - you can use abject in that context.

Jeez - give the man a break people.... :eek:

beautifulrock
22/11/2007, 2:13 PM
Storm in a tea (english breakfast of course) cup. Although have lived in London for 20 years doubt I would ever say "we" but if they do while commentating for the British media so be it.

London-Irish
22/11/2007, 2:38 PM
Erm, no chip on my shoulder at all. Do you condone the fact that we are still called "Thick Paddys" and have to listen to very unfunny "Irish Jokes" at our expense on a daily basis?

superfrank
22/11/2007, 2:47 PM
Erm, no chip on my shoulder at all. Do you condone the fact that we are still called "Thick Paddys" and have to listen to very unfunny "Irish Jokes" at our expense on a daily basis?
Do you condone the whole threads devoted to celebrating the humiliation of the English team last night?

Ever hear of a two-way street?

DaveyCakes
22/11/2007, 2:50 PM

Now I'm confused. Is it Mark Lawrenson or Terry Wogan telling these jokes?

paul_oshea
22/11/2007, 2:52 PM
Steve, I think you just like to talk like this for a bit of craic.

Terry Wogan is proud of his woots.

Lawrenson is just a dope.

LI, frank and a few others wouldn't have encountered the same thing that you have encountered or met the people who have been here and still speak with a blacksod accent after 65 years in "init bruv, nooorrrfff Londaaaan". I dont really understand it, nothing to do with chip on shoulder stuff, I actually think its quite funny, always, to me like the need to fit in, one of them, sheep mentality to be honest. Weak characters. :)

paul_oshea
22/11/2007, 2:57 PM
Lads, it doesnt matter a wholly if he was on French TV or St Kitts TV, ye still dont say WE if you dont consider yerself that nationality. Some people are awful weak minded.

However, he ovbiously considers himself English and so be it. When did he play for Ireland, I dont remember a player by that name...

Thought hansen was funny last night, when lineker tried to include him in the" ye jumped up and down when bent had that shot" :D

DaveyCakes, the Irish Post has a decent sized readership weekly in the UK.

superfrank
22/11/2007, 3:10 PM
LI, frank and a few others wouldn't have encountered the same thing that you have encountered or met the people who have been here and still speak with a blacksod accent after 65 years in "init bruv, nooorrrfff Londaaaan". I dont really understand it, nothing to do with chip on shoulder stuff, I actually think its quite funny, always, to me like the need to fit in, one of them, sheep mentality to be honest. Weak characters. :)
I actually have a lot of family in London, Acton in particular, and while the parents, now in their 70's would still consider themselves Irish despite having lived there since the early 60's, their children and grandchildren consider themselves English. I have no problem with that at all.

London-Irish
22/11/2007, 3:18 PM
Do you condone the whole threads devoted to celebrating the humiliation of the English team last night?

Ever hear of a two-way street?

Taking the micky out of the England team is football rivalry. Irish jokes and calling us "Thick Paddys" amounts to racism.

superfrank
22/11/2007, 3:22 PM
Taking the micky out of the England team is football rivalry. Irish jokes and calling us "Thick Paddys" amounts to racism.
For some, it's a bizarre football rivalry (after all a lot of us support their football teams) but for others it runs a lot deeper.

gustavo
22/11/2007, 3:22 PM
Now I'm confused. Is it Mark Lawrenson or Terry Wogan telling these jokes?

Mark Lawrenson telling it to Terry,
Terry guffawed his little heart out the traitor !

Torn-Ado
22/11/2007, 3:34 PM
I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over it. He was just another English man overlooked by England, realised he had Irish blood in him and him being a fickle English footballer, jumped at the chance to improve his profile as an footballer and increase his bank balance. He is certainly not a proud Irishman.

Just another footballer out to pump up his bank balance. We've had them for years playing in green and only a few struck me as proud of their Irishness. Do it on the field and I'll not be bothered.

OwlsFan
23/11/2007, 9:39 AM
He was on the Last Word yesterday evening talking as an Irishman. Mind you, both he and Cas were signing El Tel's praises :rolleyes:

CollegeTillIDie
24/11/2007, 9:44 AM
Terry Wogan was once on '' Blankety Blank'' when someone on the panel told a daft Irish joke and followed it up by saying'' Irish jokes are so stupid''. Terry's retort'' We have to keep them simple so the English can understand them!'' :D

dcfcsteve
26/11/2007, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't get my knickers in a twist over it. He was just another English man overlooked by England, realised he had Irish blood in him and him being a fickle English footballer, jumped at the chance to improve his profile as an footballer and increase his bank balance. He is certainly not a proud Irishman.

Just another footballer out to pump up his bank balance. We've had them for years playing in green and only a few struck me as proud of their Irishness. Do it on the field and I'll not be bothered.

Who did Terry Wogan play for.......? :confused:

OwlsFan
27/11/2007, 10:56 AM

Did he or any of the other Wild Geese ever refuse to don a green jersey when asked unlike some of our native born players? No! I thank God for Lawro and his goal against Scotland, Ray Houghton, Aldo, etc etc. Without them we'd still be waiting to qualify for a tournament.

KevB76
27/11/2007, 5:51 PM

I lived in England for almost a decade and never encountered the "thick paddys" attitude you say still exisits.
Maybe its just a London thing ?

CollegeTillIDie
27/11/2007, 6:59 PM
Did he or any of the other Wild Geese ever refuse to don a green jersey when asked unlike some of our native born players? No! I thank God for Lawro and his goal against Scotland, Ray Houghton, Aldo, etc etc. Without them we'd still be waiting to qualify for a tournament.

Owls fan

Out with it you mean certain '' Cork born'' Irish internationals don't you? :D

OwlsFan
28/11/2007, 9:06 AM
:o I might but without the Cork born players we wouldn't have qualified either for a tournament or two. Speaking of which, what's Dinny up to these days? Is he in football or what?

shakermaker1982
28/11/2007, 10:12 AM
I lived in England for almost a decade and never encountered the "thick paddys" attitude you say still exisits.
Maybe its just a London thing ?

I must hear it at least once a week.

KevB76
28/11/2007, 5:33 PM
I must hear it at least once a week.

I'm genuinely astonished to hear that.
Not once, in 8 1/2 years, did I get that.

......unless maybe you are actually thick ;) :D

sorry man, couldn't help myself, only kidding of course :)

gustavo
29/11/2007, 10:17 AM
I'm genuinely astonished to hear that.
Not once, in 8 1/2 years, did I get that.

......unless maybe you are actually thick ;)

sorry man, couldn't help myself, only kidding of course :)
maybe his name is paddy:D

London-Irish
29/11/2007, 5:56 PM
As Shakermaker confirms, the 'Thick Paddy' comments and racist jokes about the Irish are rife in the UK. I am astonished that none of you lads realise this :eek:

shakermaker1982
29/11/2007, 7:34 PM
you cheeky feckers I don't think it's aimed directly at me!!!! Haha. You'll get the odd comment in an office at least once a week before they remember who is actually in the office with them. Apologetic afterwards of course but unfortunately it's seen as a 'joke' and no harm was intended etc etc. Now it's not everybody don't get me wrong - there are a lot of sound people in England but this attitude towards Irish people has not been eradicated. It has lessened because new immigrants coming into the UK are now the targets. Reminds me of the time I was on a transport modelling course up in Leeds a couple of years back - 3 day event so you had to stay over and what not. On the second night a few of us went out on the lash (good few from Ireland had flew over for it so we thought we'd have a few jars). This quiet guy from Luton who hadn't said a word for the past two days followed us and tagged along - as he started to try and drink at our pace he got more and more drunk which in turn meant he started to tell us about his love for the BNP and Adolf Hitler and for some reason he had his ruck sack with him and started showing us his Daily Mail cuttings about immigrant nightmare stories.........now it's an extreme case but he had the cheek to say to 3 of us that night "I used to hate you paddies but thinking about it your not so bad - at least your the same colour as me". He was anti black/asian/jew and the venom that was coming out of him was sickening. The rest of us were trying to reason with him and it got heated but this guy was a complete and utter racist. Some of the stuff he was spouting I wouldn't dare repeat here. Big on conspiracies as well from what I remember i.e. JFK was assassinated by jews. Crazy stuff. Anyway he never made it in on that final day for the course and a good job too. But it's good to know that a Luton resident doesn't mind us anymore - he just wants those insert <non white country> to f*** off out of ING GER LAND.