PDA

View Full Version : Serbia v Poland

Lim till i die
22/11/2007, 9:11 AM
Tuned into this last night when the England game was getting unbearable (ie 2-2) expecting to see a hopping stadium and a good game (Serbia after all with an outside chance of qualification)

But there can't have been more than 500 Serbs in the ground :eek:

Any of the students have any idea why??

CollegeTillIDie
22/11/2007, 9:18 AM
I watched this game myself and all I can say is the Serbian FA must be pleased so many Poles travelled to the game.
There were due to be two home games back to back. It costs about 10% of the average take home pay to attend a League game over there. So international games would be even more expensive. The game due to take place last weekend against Kazakhstan was postponed until this coming weekend. Most fans probably had tickets for that game and could not afford two home games in the one week.
Attendance at League games vary wildly depending on who the team happens to be playing against. And that's just the big two in Belgrade Partizan and Red Star. Even attendances at their derby games are in decline at present with the last Red Star V Partizan game held in the Marakhana only attracting 29,000 approx supporters.
It's a 55,000 capacity venue so this attendance would have been particularly disappointing.
This was despite the fact that Red Star won the League and Cup Double last season.
Partizan hosted Red Star earlier in the season it ended a 2-2 draw and the 30,000 capacity venue was stuffed for the game. Hopefully the return fixture will see a return to more than 35,000 attendances. Red Star's bread and butter League games against rural opponents sometimes attract as few as a poor Cork City home attendance. Derbies against lesser Belgrade teams attract around 10,000 and the big one can be anything from 25,000 - 55,000. That's the reason why the big two in Belgrade have become selling clubs their whole financial viability depends upon developing players and selling them on to Western clubs.

Getting back to the Serbia-Poland game I was disappointed with the home side in the first half . They were much more at the races in the second half and could have knicked it near the end. That chance on 81 minutes missed was probably what cost them victory.
I think Clemente may be shown the door soon too as national coach.

Lim till i die
22/11/2007, 11:15 AM
I watched this game myself and all I can say is the Serbian FA must be pleased so many Poles travelled to the game.
There were due to be two home games back to back. It costs about 10% of the average take home pay to attend a League game over there. So international games would be even more expensive. .

I realise Serbia is struggling ever since Bill Clinton had it bombed back into the Stone Age but surely the Serbian FA would take account of this when setting ticeket prices.

Thought they would have a big ultra nationalist crowd following them, especially with the match in the Marakana :confused:

And that's just the big two in Belgrade Partizan and Red Star. Even attendances at their derby games are in decline at present with the last Red Star V Partizan game held in the Marakhana only attracting 29,000 approx supporters.
It's a 55,000 capacity venue so this attendance would have been particularly disappointing.

That's shocking. Arguably one of the top ten club fixtures in the world

I think Clemente may be shown the door soon too as national coach

Possible dark horse for the Irish job? (How very Spanish of him) :)

superfrank
22/11/2007, 1:04 PM
Serbia were appaling until the hour mark against a weakened Polish side who had nothing to play for. The pitch helped neither side though. I know it had been snowing so you can't blame anyone but it was still really bad. I've played on better pitches in the Wicklow leagues.

CollegeTillIDie
24/11/2007, 9:09 AM
superfrank

And the Wicklow League would not exactly be known for it's bowling green style surfaces either :D